Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lol forever at goddamn Yang beating the rest of the no hopers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

no enough

do better, berno

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
lmao I had seen this quote before but I didn't know there was footage

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1176511664885075968?s=20

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lol, Warren is going to win and they'll use her getting her rear end best by Trump as a cudgel against anything to the left of Reagan for a hundred years.
This is some "please no Biden" monkey pass stuff.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gripweed posted:

:trumppop:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

lol, remember our racist president? he's gonna loving WRECK warren with his racist attacks.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He probably will.

In other news, Sanders is about to announce his own impeachment preferences.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1176549324441948161

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Groovelord Neato posted:

time to double my donation.
I was actually going to do this but couldn't figure out how. Do you have to cancel your current recurring donation and then start a new one for a different amount?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

rip the dream is dead. was nice knowing you america.

That might be premature:
https://twitter.com/argumentwinner/status/1176533631919169536

And, of course...

https://twitter.com/anim0rphine/status/1176539344548630528

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Old people are who show up to vote in primaries. We keep hoping young people will save us but they’ve given no indication of doing so

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HootTheOwl posted:

Lol, Warren is going to win and they'll use her getting her rear end best by Trump as a cudgel against anything to the left of Reagan for a hundred years.
This is some "please no Biden" monkey pass stuff.

That polls is 70% olds. Relax. I think she has a surge, but not that big.

goethe.cx posted:

Old people are who show up to vote in primaries. We keep hoping young people will save us but they’ve given no indication of doing so

Young people are a lot more engaged during Republican administrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

goethe.cx posted:

I feel like you might have slept through the 2016 primaries, particularly Michigan...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I know we get pretty hot in here stanning/making GBS threads on Elizabeth Warren, but I just want to stop everyone for a minute so we can re-appreciate the local-personal-injury-attorney slogan that Kamala Harris adopted for her campaign slogan.

Kamala Harris: For the People

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Majorian posted:

I feel like you might have slept through the 2016 primaries, particularly Michigan...

I remember Michigan. But sanders didn’t win the primary, did he

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Maybe Tulsi, now that she has qualified for the next debate, will knife Warren if Bernie is unwilling to do the needful?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Vespa2Vespa/status/1176191943463854083

Somebody figured out Nate, and while this is concerning a British reporter reminder the british media are literally ALL Nates.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

lol, remember our racist president? he's gonna loving WRECK warren with his racist attacks.

He's gonna portray Warren as an out of touch Harvard egghead who cheated her way to where she is by way of Affirmative Action and the chuds are gonna eat it up. Meanwhile Warren's support base mainly consists of people who would have voted Dem anyway and are concentrated in places where Dems are going to win anyway. The only matchup that would be better for Trump would be Biden on account of Gropey Joe's brain being such mush that it's basically leaking out of his ears at this point.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

He's gonna portray Warren as an out of touch Harvard egghead who cheated her way to where she is by way of Affirmative Action and the chuds are gonna eat it up.

""portray""

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nonsense posted:

He probably will.

In other news, Sanders is about to announce his own impeachment preferences.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1176549324441948161

Careful Bernie, the Secret Service take threats very seriously. Don't do anything more than having The Coup playing as you come out.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

goethe.cx posted:

No, but he overperformed dramatically in a lot of states, and won in several where the polls showed Clinton with an insurmountable lead. Polls also dramatically underestimated younger voters in 2007-2008. Clinton had a 20-something point national lead over Obama at this point in the race. So your assumption that young people aren't going to turn out is kind of unfounded - particularly when they defied the assumption that young people don't turn out for midterms less than a year ago.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think nate had hillary at 99 percent in michigan for the primary. 2016 was the first time i voted in a primary.

TrixR4kids posted:

I was actually going to do this but couldn't figure out how. Do you have to cancel your current recurring donation and then start a new one for a different amount?

it looks like it. i'm having a hard time finding a way to alter it otherwise.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 24, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Gyges posted:

Careful Bernie, the Secret Service take threats very seriously. Don't do anything more than having The Coup playing as you come out.

Bernie comes out jamming to “Five Million Ways to Kill a CEO” mouthing the lyrics

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

goethe.cx posted:

How accurate were the polls in September 2015 in predicting the final popular vote tally in the primaries

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think nate had hillary at 99 percent in michigan for the primary. 2016 was the first time i voted in a primary.

But he had a 1% chance of her losing the primary, thus he wasn't wrong.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Warren is running a serious campaign and probably has surged from getting all the fading Harris votes, but I also don't think anything is permanent. Weren't something like 75% of Iowa Democrats still undecided?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

I think Warren is running a serious campaign and probably has surged from getting all the fading Harris votes, but I also don't think anything is permanent. Weren't something like 75% of Iowa Democrats still undecided?

Something like that, yeah. Plus these primary narratives are always cyclical. Warren's been extremely lucky so far, in that she hasn't had too many bad media cycles, beyond her completely self-inflicted DNA cockup. But even if the corporate media wants her to be the nominee, Warren will have her share of bad days, particularly as she gets more under the microscope. It happened with Harris, it happened with Buttigieg, and it will happen with Liz as well. Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Given that >45 makes up the significant majority of that poll, the biggest takeaway I can see is that Biden is bleeding too much olds support to Warren to maintain a viable campaign. Old people (and black people) are his base. Warren's support is relatively flat across the spectrum, but if Biden wants to win he needs a significant lead among the oldest (ie most conservative) primary voters. Warren leading NH in an old-heavy poll is the gong sounding for him.

The hope for Bernie is that as the rest of Biden's vote collapses, they flock to him rather than Warren, as in Biden's current voters Just Don't Like Her For Some Reason and aren't particularly ideological along policy issues. At this point its silly to hold the belief that, as the race stand, he's got a silent majority waiting in the wings to lift him to a double digit victory and that all polling is 20+ points biased/flawed. He needs to actually do something other than Being 2016 Bernie, because this isn't the 2016 field and the converts aren't coming yet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Now I'm not paid six figures to be wrong about everything like most political pundits, but the way I see it, your faith in the polls at this point kind of relies on whether or not you believe they're consistently undervaluing the new people Sanders is going to bring into the race. All I know is there's something incongruous about a man who has gotten 1mil individual donations faster than any presidential candidate in history versus what the polls are saying, and both might be true, but if there's anything the post-2016 world has taught me it's that the predictive value of "experts" on cable news counts for very, very little. I do think Warren is a serious candidate, certainly not a total joke like Beto or Harris, but she hasn't really been scrutinized yet.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Still waiting on Bernie's plan to deal with the rise of fascism in America, that he teased recently

also would like a plan to prosecute members of the Trump, Bush, and Obama admin for war crimes/crimes against humanity

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Something like that, yeah. Plus these primary narratives are always cyclical. Warren's been extremely lucky so far, in that she hasn't had too many bad media cycles, beyond her completely self-inflicted DNA cockup. But even if the corporate media wants her to be the nominee, Warren will have her share of bad days, particularly as she gets more under the microscope. It happened with Harris, it happened with Buttigieg, and it will happen with Liz as well. Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later.

The more Warren speaks the more cognitive dissonance her supporters get when the progressive brand smashes into the right-wing reality

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Judakel posted:

That polls is 70% olds. Relax. I think she has a surge, but not that big.

Young people are a lot more engaged during Republican administrations.

I will not stop panicking until the day Bernie the convention. And if he wins I will immediately begin worrying Trump will win again. It's terrible on my heart, but cheaper than Prednisone so...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

I will not stop panicking until the day Bernie the convention. And if he wins I will immediately begin worrying Trump will win again. It's terrible on my heart, but cheaper than Prednisone so...

i'll be worried sick until bernie wins the nom but when he does it'll float away.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ya'll realize that more than half of all "olds" are women, right?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
What is Sanders... doesn't win?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yang getting at least one delegate at some point during the primary is gonna be the thing I remember fifty years from now

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Brony Car posted:

The answer to this question is entirely subjective.

The question I'm more interested in is... What if Biden wins?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pander posted:

Given that >45 makes up the significant majority of that poll, the biggest takeaway I can see is that Biden is bleeding too much olds support to Warren to maintain a viable campaign. Old people (and black people) are his base. Warren's support is relatively flat across the spectrum, but if Biden wants to win he needs a significant lead among the oldest (ie most conservative) primary voters. Warren leading NH in an old-heavy poll is the gong sounding for him.

The hope for Bernie is that as the rest of Biden's vote collapses, they flock to him rather than Warren, as in Biden's current voters Just Don't Like Her For Some Reason and aren't particularly ideological along policy issues. At this point its silly to hold the belief that, as the race stand, he's got a silent majority waiting in the wings to lift him to a double digit victory and that all polling is 20+ points biased/flawed. He needs to actually do something other than Being 2016 Bernie, because this isn't the 2016 field and the converts aren't coming yet.

Biden is in no real danger. The only real route to being on a ticket for Warren is to have a contested convention and join a ticket with Biden.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i suppose the warren supporters know her and her history well, so I have a question for you all: what positive examples of racial and social justice can warren point to in her history? we all know she was part of an explicitly and extremely racist party until the 90s, and she left that party because of differences in economic policy, but the warren supporters in the thread have something they can point to that shows she's actually become better on that front right? I ask cause it just came up recently that warren was telling people that transgender inmates getting critical sex change treatments was a waste of taxpayer money when she was running as a democrat, which really loving pisses me off.

I hope the warren supporters in thread are supporting her based on her history and not just because of "plans"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Monmouth falls all over themselves to apologize when Bernie moves up a couple points into a lead.

Puts out a poll where Warren literally triples her past numbers with no comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Brony Car posted:

Then I'll die of treatable illness so who cares.