Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Fender 7250MLs actually are awesome though, depending on what you’re going for of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
With String Chat going on, I've got some Rotosound tapewounds coming in tomorrow, I'm hoping I like them. I really wish there was a way to sample strings without having to buy them, the set of Chromes I've got on right now came coated in some weird oily feeling stuff and I didn't care for it at all.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pointlessone posted:

With String Chat going on, I've got some Rotosound tapewounds coming in tomorrow, I'm hoping I like them. I really wish there was a way to sample strings without having to buy them, the set of Chromes I've got on right now came coated in some weird oily feeling stuff and I didn't care for it at all.

I was really happy with my roto tapes in the past. I remember them carrying a lot of tension (which I love) and having a very "woody" kind of tone to them.

If you can, grab some soft foam to throw under them at the bridge... they sound great slightly muted imo.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I just picked up some Cobalt slinky and they feel pretty good and sound great acoustic.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

70's Fender Bassman 100 went up for $400 in my area, thinking about snatching it as my first tube bass amp. Previous owner was obviously using it as a guitar amp, because for $100 extra I could pick up one of those gray felt 4x12's.
Opinions on whether that be any louder than a solid state SWR 350? Hoping its not too noisy, looks well kept.*

*In comparison to the Bassman at a nearby studio, which looked like a half-complete restoration project and didn't really satisfy my needs during a practice run, so I'm skeptical of this being the absolute solid investment.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 14, 2019

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Never played with one personally, but by reputation I feel like the bassman is much more popular as a guitar amp than a bass amp.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Looks like it has a master volume, which makes it one of the less great Bassmans, I hear. I like Bassmans as bass amps, but volume is going to depend some on how much low end you need. An efficient cab will help, but I like Fender tube amps more for warmth than power. I would not expect it to be as loud as a more powerful solid state.

Might be a great recording/home amp if you’re into the sound. I use a Super Reverb into an SWR 2x15 as much as anything else but I don’t gig.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
When I was in the studio several months ago, they had two Bassmans. Bassmen? Bassmans? Wh... whatever.

Anyway, the engineer told me that one of them was great for guitars, because it had that nice "brown sound" (as it used to be called before that meant "poop"), but the other was actually better for bass because it was a lot more clean.

Either way, it will work for bass. I mean, it was made for bass; just because guitars also work well through it doesn't mean it's not a kick-rear end bass amp. But I'd play through it before I bought it.

(And Fender has used the Bassman name a few times in its history; the most recent examples are modern bass amps that aren't especially great for guitar because they're very much made to handle the bass.)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I was real happy with the direct recording mode on my Bassman 100T, including for guitar. Great beefy clean Fender sound.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i had a bassman from the 80s i think. it was a great amp but it just broke too drat much for me to keep using it. i could have bought a new tube head with the amount of money i spent on repairs. also dont let shithead kids with no respect for other peoples gear borrow your amp. its got a nice huge dent in the metal housing thing in the back thanks to some flailing rockstar dipshit knocking it off the cab onto the floor. oddly enough it still chugged along for a few months after that before making GBS threads itself again.

anyone have a fender rumble 500? ive had my eye on one of those because after 10 years of lugging giant rear end bass rigs around i really want to downsize a bit.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 16, 2019

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

ASenileAnimal posted:

anyone have a fender rumble 500? ive had my eye on one of those because after 10 years of lugging giant rear end bass rigs around i really want to downsize a bit.

I have one and I like it a lot, it’s totally as advertised. Reasonably priced, loud as gently caress, sounds great, super light and fairly compact, easy breezy and just works.

Possible reasons you would deduct points:

- The the XLR output level is tied to the master volume, which is kind of weird if you’re wanting to use it for a stage monitor and DI into a PA.
- I don’t care for the onboard overdrive (major low end loss and no clean blend) but whatever it takes pedals just great
- Some people say it has a certain Fender voicing baked in, but I haven’t found it hard to get a variety of good sounds out of it
- Somewhat heavy handed onboard limiter but I think it sounds great

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I gig with a rumble 500 and haven't had any problems with it. I've played it out of 10s, 12s, and 15s and they all sound good and keep up with a loud guitarist and drummer.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Scarf posted:

For the most part, yeah, but it depends on what it comes strung up with. My new Lakland arrived yesterday with some D'Addario Pro Steels. Not my favorite, but good enough... I mean yeah, I'm still gonna put some DR Nickel Lo-Riders on it, but I don't feel rushed to do so.

And speaking of... That Lakland B-string...

Dude.

My blueballs are killing me. Pics in its new home?

We've got two gigs this weekend (Cold Shot in Appleton and Linneman's in Milwaukee for you cheeseheads, I'll buy a beer for someone who mentions stairs) and we're going to be in a fairly large metro area all day Saturday, with time to kill. Our usual method of killing time involves raiding local music shops.

I just made a severe mistake. I counted my gig money stash, and I have enough set aside to impulse-buy a good bass.

E: yuppers, definitely have enough set aside to blow on a good bass if I find a fiver that calls my name. gently caress.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 17, 2019

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Science Goy posted:

Dude.

My blueballs are killing me. Pics in its new home?

Haha, working on it! I honestly have only gotten about 4-5hrs on it so far, just because my 9-5 job has been nuts. I had to turn down a 3 night road gig up in Casper, WY, which I'm pretty bummed about...

Rehearsal with the Irish rock band I play with is tomorrow evening though, I'm anxious to see how it sits in the mix.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 18, 2019

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Someone on No Treble posted about a lesson they took with Jaco in the eighties, it's actually pretty interesting:

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2019/09/19/the-path-to-jaco/

Here's the audio from the recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEE_jlXo1vA

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Is it typical for places that do guitar setups to also do bass setups? Having a hard time finding places that specifically call out that they do bass setups.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jiffypop45 posted:

Is it typical for places that do guitar setups to also do bass setups? Having a hard time finding places that specifically call out that they do bass setups.

I would call to ask, but my local place does both.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Also a bit more specifically anyone has a recommendation for someone in Seattle? If not I'll just keep digging through yelp/google and try to find someone that way.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

jiffypop45 posted:

Also a bit more specifically anyone has a recommendation for someone in Seattle? If not I'll just keep digging through yelp/google and try to find someone that way.

https://www.mmguitarbar.com/pages/repairs

I’ve had some work done here before and they’re good.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

FancyMike posted:

https://www.mmguitarbar.com/pages/repairs

I’ve had some work done here before and they’re good.

Rad! Thank you. Ill drop my bass by tomorrow!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Got a NASTY blister on my middle plucking finger at last night's gig. Felt it developing during the last set.

It's been years and years since I got a blister, and never one this big. This probably happened because this gig was a real Joe's Garage*, and we ended up playing so quietly that the drums were acoustic (100% out of the board) and we were jamming through our combo amps. First time this bar ever did us like this. Some 70 year old "lady" actually hollered at us a few times (I thought it was a joke at first) and kept calling the owner. Turned into a nightmare gig. But when it gets quiet, I instinctively start digging into the strings, and... the predictable results.

Oh well. At least there's another gig next weekend. Now to decide if I should pop this thing or not. It's red, so I probably should, because I think there's blood in it.

* TURN IT DOWN!! WE HAVE CHILDREN SEEPING HERE!! DON'T YOU BOYS KNOW ANY NICE SONGS??)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

WebMD says don’t. Bummer about that though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah leave it alone, it's your body healing itself. It's all sterile in there! Only mess with it if it's infected

here, enjoy our universal health care:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Blisters/

I got a blister a while back because I hadnt played in ages, it went down after a few days. Just give it time to heal under there, put something over it if it needs protecting

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
What sucks is that I have a gig this coming Friday. What sucks more is that I know better than this; I know not to dig in like I was, but even after... (checks wristwatch)... 29 years... I still play too hard when the circumstances line up in a certain, horrible way. At least it didn't break while I was playing. That's always fun.

This one is just nasty, though:

Way bigger than I remember these being. I may end up playing with a pick next weekend, and I'm not great with a pick.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Oof, that's a rough one. Hopefully it clears up quickly...

It's so so easy to overplay and dig in too hard when monitoring is sub-par or you have to dial down the overall levels, I know I'm massively guilty of it as well and I am actively trying to improve. Charlie from Tauk (give them a listen, they're like dark funk and it's dope as hell and they're super nice dudes) said that when they switched to IEMs it was a drastic improvement. He was able to back his finger force down by a substantial amount and it has been enormously beneficial.

Complete tangent: Scarf, I blame you entirely for the package that will be arriving at my local Guitar Center in a few days. Pics to come if I am satisfied with it in person.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tarlibone posted:

What sucks is that I have a gig this coming Friday. What sucks more is that I know better than this; I know not to dig in like I was, but even after... (checks wristwatch)... 29 years... I still play too hard when the circumstances line up in a certain, horrible way. At least it didn't break while I was playing. That's always fun.

Way bigger than I remember these being. I may end up playing with a pick next weekend, and I'm not great with a pick.

You have three other fingers, use them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tarlibone posted:

🖕 :mad: u too buddy

is it just the red bit or is it down on the pad too, I can't tell. Mine was about as big as the red bit and it swelled up a lot too, but it was down within a few days. It'll probably be ok on Friday, it'll be healed better than if you pop it anyway. Have some pick practice in the meantime!

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I usually get them on my index finger; and while playing on the ring and middle is a little uncomfortable, it's still feasible. If all else fails, its no great sin to use a plec for the time being. And, if somebody gives you trouble for it, you give them the finger.

Looking forward to a small gig, next weekend. To compensate for space, I'm downgrading from my half-stack to an Ampeg Micro-CL. Tested her out, last rehearsal, and looking forward to doing it again. It's been plenty loud, I dimed the volume and ended up dialing back to about 60-75% on the bass the whole time. The sound, however, can get gritty. Those little speakers are probably not properly rated, but the breakup pattern seems pretty smooth, so I'm just going to rock it. Doesn't really matter if I tear through it, since it was a freebie.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Science Goy posted:

Complete tangent: Scarf, I blame you entirely for the package that will be arriving at my local Guitar Center in a few days. Pics to come if I am satisfied with it in person.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

The Science Goy posted:

Oof, that's a rough one. Hopefully it clears up quickly...

It's so so easy to overplay and dig in too hard when monitoring is sub-par or you have to dial down the overall levels, I know I'm massively guilty of it as well and I am actively trying to improve. Charlie from Tauk (give them a listen, they're like dark funk and it's dope as hell and they're super nice dudes) said that when they switched to IEMs it was a drastic improvement. He was able to back his finger force down by a substantial amount and it has been enormously beneficial.

I love Tauk. I’ve seen them twice and they are super talented musicians and put on a fantastic live show. Last time I saw them it was at a small local place and they had an unannounced opening band called Naughty Professor, not sure if you’ve heard of them. Holy poo poo were they good. I definitely got my money’s worth and then some at that show.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Does anyone have a Yamaha BB234?

I think I finally settled on the bass I want and this is it. It's a PJ, which means that it has both kinds of pickups? I also really like the aesthetics, especially the natural finish. The Squier offerings didn't really grab me.

I'm a guitar player, but I wanted to get more well-rounded and have some fun at the same time.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That is one cool bass.

For what it’s worth, Wirecutter‘s top pick for a bass is another Yamaha. Their guitars have impressed me, so I imagine they’re hard to go wrong with.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah PJ has a P (but not usually in exactly the standard place) and a J in the bridge, gives you some tones to play with and it's probably a 3-way switch instead of blending the pickup volumes like on a jazz

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

is it common for thunderbird bass necks to crack? theres a small crack on the back of the neck around the 2nd or 3rd fret in mine but i cant tell if its just the finish or the neck. its been there for about a year and hasent gotten any bigger.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

baka kaba posted:

Yeah PJ has a P (but not usually in exactly the standard place) and a J in the bridge, gives you some tones to play with and it's probably a 3-way switch instead of blending the pickup volumes like on a jazz

Some PJs have the correct P location, some do not. OTOH, the J might be 60s or 70s J location. YMMV

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Is there a Jazz style body with the PJ setup out on the market?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

lazerwolf posted:

The Frank Bellow signature LTD comes to mind cause I think it looks awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/ESP-LTD-Frank-Bello-FBJ-400/dp/B07NQL6T8Q/ref=asc_df_B07NQL6T8Q/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070143636317&psc=1

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

nitsuga posted:

That is one cool bass.

For what it’s worth, Wirecutter‘s top pick for a bass is another Yamaha. Their guitars have impressed me, so I imagine they’re hard to go wrong with.

Yamaha is pretty much my go to, especially if it's going to be the only type of instrument I have. My first guitar is an acoustic Yam, my first electric is a Pacifica, and my amp is a THR.

I'd probably just get a TRBX, I was looking at them, but I didn't really care for how the top horn juts out the way it does. I know it's a nitpick and not even a musical one, but the BB234 shape is more my speed.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

lazerwolf posted:

Fender's Aerodyne bass is a jazz shape with PJ pickups.

Fender's Reggie Hamilton bass is another option, but appears to be discontinued.

The Mark Hoppus bass has a J body with only a P pickup. This one also has more of a precision neck too.

I used to be searching for a P bass with a jazz neck for a while until I found a Yamaha Attitude bass and learned to love huge necks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Rifter17 posted:

Fender's Aerodyne bass is a jazz shape with PJ pickups.

It's probably obvious from the listing but the Aerodyne is much thinner than a normal Jazz. Whether that's bad or not is of course subjective.