Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

People actually think durability was bad in BotW. My goodness. These people.

Edit: uh oh page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Why would you do this

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, why would you just state the obvious?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Why would you do this

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hey guys I heard there's a goose game...

If we're done with that, can we at least have a bad derail that ends with the funny phrase god drat this horny thread?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pixaal posted:

Hey guys I heard there's a goose game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9STHqt_vsCc

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah that's probably his best because of the music, but even without the production values he makes some impressive poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GCTD9ygtZM

Here's his most recent show-off video with music: killing the 10 Lizalfo fort in Master Mode while taking no damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3czQi85E2Uw

god drat combat was so boring in this game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It honestly felt like an afterthought which is Zelda as gently caress.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Combat is as boring as you make it. Therefore it can only be concluded that you're boring.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Why on earth would people not expect controllers to wear out? The Nintendo joycons messing up early isn't ideal, but if they are lasting for hundreds of hours it is probably fine to get another set?

This Apple mentality of "use and discard" is what some people would like to change, although I think it's neat on nintendo's part to acknowledge their faulty thumbsticks since now they don't have a ground to stand to challenge criticism to their awful QA issues.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought the combat in BOTW was the best of the series.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I didn’t mind the combat initially but it was frustrating in the endgame when you have to hit every enemy a dozen times. Paired with the durability system it just made more sense to evade fights where possible. That or just electric attack everything and run away with the loot.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

well why not posted:

I didn’t mind the combat initially but it was frustrating in the endgame when you have to hit every enemy a dozen times. Paired with the durability system it just made more sense to evade fights where possible. That or just electric attack everything and run away with the loot.
Weird. Almost like this was an intentional design decision.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Making your combat system bad on purpose is bold

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Complaining about the gunplay in MGS2 is bold.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They just needed 2-3 more attacks/effects you could perform on a dodge. Have everything be flurry got stale.

Let me buff or heal on dodge as well!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mister Facetious posted:

Let me tell you about the Virtual Boy and mechanical DLP screens...

The “screens” being mechanical is not the problem; the fact that Nintendo used glue to secure their ribbon cable connections is.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Inzombiac posted:

They just needed 2-3 more attacks/effects you could perform on a dodge. Have everything be flurry got stale.

Maybe Breath of the Wild 2 will have new moves and such. Do we have any details on that?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

American McGay posted:

Complaining about the gunplay in MGS2 is bold.

Metal gear solid does have bad combat. I like the game but it objectively does and I’m okay with that

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

zenintrude posted:

The “screens” being mechanical is not the problem; the fact that Nintendo used glue to secure their ribbon cable connections is.

Were screens like the Virtual Boy's ever used in any other commercial products? They seem simultaneously really clever and really stupid.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was there ever a tell all interview / story from someone at Nintendo, where they talk openly about how the Virtual Boy managed to come into existence and was deemed acceptable to release?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Has link ever kissed a girl?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Tingle.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Link has canonically hosed

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah stale is the word for it. I’d prefer either some light RPG elements (damage boosts, higher crit damage) via equipment or a bit more of a combo system. Adding 2-3 extra equipment slots for rare stat boost items would’ve been fun.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I said come in! posted:

Was there ever a tell all interview / story from someone at Nintendo, where they talk openly about how the Virtual Boy managed to come into existence and was deemed acceptable to release?

Yeah, the guy who made it did one, though damned if i can remember where

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Lotion Tester posted:

Were screens like the Virtual Boy's ever used in any other commercial products? They seem simultaneously really clever and really stupid.

Funny you ask, at one point l was working on research for a Virtual Boy documentary so I know a little bit about the history of this weird machine... basically a company called Reflection Technology was trying to create a product called Private Eye that would have been sort of like a 90s Google Glass. Factory and machine workers would be able to see schematics and instructions in one eye while working on an engine. Long story short, Nintendo saw the technology and Gunpei Yokoi integrated it into the development of the VB.

Here’s an article that provides a lot more info on the tech/history: https://www.fastcompany.com/3050016/unraveling-the-enigma-of-nintendos-virtual-boy-20-years-later

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

well why not posted:

Yeah stale is the word for it. I’d prefer either some light RPG elements (damage boosts, higher crit damage) via equipment or a bit more of a combo system. Adding 2-3 extra equipment slots for rare stat boost items would’ve been fun.

That's what tonics are for!

But yeah, BOTW is easily my favorite Zelda game but I just needed a little bit more.
It's such a huuuuge game that I would have liked a slot or two for strong passive effects.
Rune recharge/strength, glide/climb/swim stamina reduction or speed, bonus gathering.
That kinda stuff.

I wouldn't want +1% damage or other piddly effects.

pixaal posted:

Maybe Breath of the Wild 2 will have new moves and such. Do we have any details on that?

We don't have any details aside from the trailer.
My hope and expectation is that it's going to be the same core (to save dev time) and then added/refined mechanics.

If they use hero powers again, I hope the charges are on independent timers. It was weird having to use up the last Gale just to ensure the power recharged.

I'd also really like a pratfall button like GTA 5.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 24, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jedi Outcast looks great! The motion controls are extremely over-sensitive

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Metal gear solid does have bad combat. I like the game but it objectively does and I’m okay with that

I don't remember where I saw it–it might have even been this very thread–but someone described MGS as Pac-Man with :techno: and I honestly can't disagree with that. Excepting the boss fights (which are generally interesting, at least) treating the enemies in the MGS games like ghosts who should be avoided at all costs is the way to play.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, avoided until you can rocket punch them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

asecondduck posted:

I don't remember where I saw it–it might have even been this very thread–but someone described MGS as Pac-Man with :techno: and I honestly can't disagree with that. Excepting the boss fights (which are generally interesting, at least) treating the enemies in the MGS games like ghosts who should be avoided at all costs is the way to play.

Kojima himself cited inspiration from Pac-Man

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jedi Outcast has model disemberment by default

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

PantsBandit posted:

Look at this scrub that couldn't beat Zelda II

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Untitled Goose Game is the only good stealth game and I will fight any goon that says otherwise.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

Untitled Goose Game is the only good stealth game and I will fight any goon that says otherwise.

I'll have you know that Best Game Breath of the Wild happens to have a good stealth section better than any stealth game :getin:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Untitled Goose Game sucks, you're just an rear end in a top hat bully in it. You literally just pick on little kids and people minding their own loving business.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sounds like every goose I’ve met

acksplode
May 17, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Untitled Goose Game sucks, you're just an rear end in a top hat bully in it. You literally just pick on little kids and people minding their own loving business.

We must deal with geese as they are, not as we wish them to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Where did the goose honk you?