Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Holy poo poo, evilweasel's back. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And here. We. Go.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

i can't resist actual impeachment

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

evilweasel posted:

as a result, boris is favored if he can call an early election, because he may have eliminated his spoiler while corbyn didn't eliminate his. that may change if he's forced past 10/31 and forced to extend.

Excellent summary, thanks!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

He’s Gandalf back to herald the turn of the tide.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Official. Impeachment. Inquiry.

Holy poo poo. Pelosi actually said it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well, there we go

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Impeachment is on. Its happening.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its official. She's establishing an impeachment inquiry.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So confirmed, all six committees moving forward with current investigations but with heightened impeachment powers.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

i can't resist actual impeachment

You know what, nothing might matter, but by god something is happening

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Impeachment inquiry!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Wow this is a try-hard bullshit speech.

e: Though of course I'm glad she's finally starting an actual impeachment inquiry.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

evilweasel posted:

no

basically, think of Parliament like the House of Representatives. every district votes, the plurality winner takes the whole seat. it's not proportional representation.

about half of the UK is "leave" and about half is "remain", no need to get more precise than that.

labor is not a remain party. they have substantial amounts of "leave" voters and corbyn will not campaign on a "remain" platform. similarly, the tories were not a "leave" party - they had lots of "remain" voters.

beyond labor, there are some assorted left-wing parties, most notably the Liberal Democrats (formerly a strong third party, but then they sold their soul to join with the tories in a coalition government) who are the only party with a formal "remain" platform. on the right, there's the brexit party, a hard "leave" party. now, you can easily form a coalition when elected: if there's a majority of leftist seats they control parliament even if no one leftist party has a majority.

but that is not the case in the actual election. in a labor v. tories election, the real issue is how many seats that should go "left" or "right" get flipped via the spoiler effect (e.g. 10 conservative votes, 8 labor votes, 4 libdem votes goes to the conservatives despite a "left" majority; or 10 labor, 8 conservatives, 4 brexit). so even if Boris only has a solid 45% of the vote, and the other parties have 55% (numbers picked out of a hat) he has a very good chance of winning, IF he can eliminate the spoiler on his side.

that is what his plan basically has been: he's moved hard towards the brexit party to try to marginalize them and collect all of their votes, while playing on Labor's inability to come out as a hard "remain" party and thereby steal the conservative votes that he places at risk by going hard leave (corbyn being so far left also assists him there, making it easier to hold onto tory remainers). corbyn can't eliminate his spoilers without coming out as a remain party, and he's been more wishy-washy on that than may was.

as a result, boris is favored if he can call an early election, because he may have eliminated his spoiler while corbyn didn't eliminate his. that may change if he's forced past 10/31 and forced to extend.

loving Hell somehow the UK is more of a cluster gently caress than our lovely national government and that is saying something, this day of impeachment.

I hope they get through Brexit OK, I have a few friends in London from my time studying abroad. :smith:

*EDIT*

lol that reporter question "DURRRRRRRR WHAT DOES THIS ACCOMPLISH IF THE SENATE DOESN'T CONVICT??"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Kind stumbling a bit towards the end, but its official now

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He's been a fervent advocate for hand job rights for months now.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The times finally found wherever Pelosi has been hiding.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

RZA Encryption posted:

I just want to say: I would absolutely love it if:
  • the impeachment inquiry wears him down enough to either rage quit or not seek re-election
  • Biden loses the nomination anyway

Well yeah that's best case scenario so it definitely won't happen due to own goals

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh poo poo, it's real. I know hope is for suckers, but it feels good to see something happening :unsmith:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"What does this accomplish if the Senate won't convict?" is the best question the pool can come up with?

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just me or was she having some issues with her teeth?

Does she wear dentures?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

RZA Encryption posted:

• the impeachment inquiry wears him down enough to either rage quit or not seek re-election

This is exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately I have a feeling that the next choice is going to be warren though and she isnt enough change to really make our lives better. There are a lot of moderate boomers and gen xers out there. hopefully we get the millenials like me out

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
That was super short. 7 minutes in heaven with Nancy Pelosi.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It kinda felt like she's really only on board this time because he's loving with whistleblowers which is a pet project of hers, but oh well at least we're here now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Huh. The House actually tried for impeachment a little.

Next up is collecting evidence and then a vote, right?

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So who will be the first TV pundit to ask the question “was this actually a good day for President Trump?”

Laura Ingram on the right and Nate Silver on the left

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RandomBlue posted:

That was super short. 7 minutes in heaven with Nancy Pelosi.

I'm guessing she's gonna be pretty busy for the next few weeks.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Xarthor posted:

Laura Ingram on the right and Nate Silver on the left

Please do not claim silverbacks for the Left. He's a libertarian at best.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

i think biden was sliding into a 50-50 race with warren but i think this whole thing is the best news he's had in months

ain't nothing like the president committing crimes to try to torpedo your campaign to burnish your credentials as the man trump is terrified to run against

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Always nice to welcome back some experienced thought leaders with applicable expertise

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1176172980688187392

Get hosed old man.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CuddleCryptid posted:

"What does this accomplish if the Senate won't convict?" is the best question the pool can come up with?

It's a planted question because it absolutely matters that Dems come out saying "we have to shine the light on crimes even if the senate won't convict"

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
“If you can keep it” better be your mantra through this thing Pelosi because we’re gonna need a spine here.

Pollyanna posted:

Huh. The House actually tried for impeachment a little.

Next up is collecting evidence and then a vote, right?

Yep. This can take a while, but hopefully they’ll be dropping juicy facts and figures for us throughout the proceedings. Just enough to get the public enraged and more republicans to retire.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The only good part about bootlickers is eventually they become just another stomped face.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

should a billionaire really be criticized for his urge to keep in touch with the working class

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176604222709751809
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176605037700759558

He's at it.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Chris Wallace on Fox News saying "There's some meat on the bones, here."

:wow:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
it'shappening.gif

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

i think biden was sliding into a 50-50 race with warren but i think this whole thing is the best news he's had in months

ain't nothing like the president committing crimes to try to torpedo your campaign to burnish your credentials as the man trump is terrified to run against

Yeah, I don't know if he has anyone smart enough running his campaign to go with it, but the angle of "Trump is so afraid of me that he had to commit massive amounts of crimes to try to undercut me" isn't a terrible sales pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176604222709751809

Official reply: Wah wah wah