Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Yakuza Syndrome.

Seriously, it's the most refreshing thing in the world in Judgement when your character disarms an opponent in a cutscene and then actually bothers to unload the gun so it can't be used on someone as soon as they turn their backs.

Lets be fair though. Kiryu and Yumi were on the clock. Nishiki was waiting for Haruka and Yumi to show up so he can take the locket by force and lay claim to the stolen yen as proof of his worth to the Tojo and let Jingu kill them all if not for Kiryu rubbing salt into Nishiki about how far he has gone to goad him to a fight to prove he can beat Kiryu on his own terms. By the time they were done Jingu already recovered from the beating Kiryu dealt.

Likewise, Saejima was torn on how long should Katsuragi suffer, 25 slow years like everyone he had ruined or a quick painful death to the face that means nothing as he has no clan to return to, his oath brother locked away and next to nothing left. So Saejima wanted him to see him rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zushio posted:

Date is all of us.

Date is literally the only sane person in the Yakuza series.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Date “just take haruka to the soapland”-san

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
date is trying to encourage kazuma to be a responsible guardian

like what would you do if you were going to a soapland, not take your kid? just leave her in the park with a bunch of hobos? dad of the year right there

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So with Kiwami, if an enemy has a red heal aura, basically I've got to suck it up until I get the Dragon attack? Which is locked behind...

...beating Majima everywhere at SSS level 4 times. :I

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Any heat move at all breaks the normal heal auras but I can't remember if it's the same for red. Anyway I think it's only two or three enemies in the whole game that have a red heal aura, one of which is Majima himself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The police chase bit in Y3 loving sucks

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

So with Kiwami, if an enemy has a red heal aura, basically I've got to suck it up until I get the Dragon attack? Which is locked behind...

...beating Majima everywhere at SSS level 4 times. :I

Weapons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

well yeah.

Two most common fighting modes for me are beast mode and marlin cannon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sakurazuka posted:

The police chase bit in Y3 loving sucks
Yeah a lot of stuff in that game is not great

Yakuza 3 is not the worst Yakuza game (1 definitely holds that crown) but it's weirdly rough in a lot of ways that you wouldn't think the third game in a series would be

I guess you can chalk it up to experimenting with things that didn't work and the growing paints of being on a new console.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Any heat move at all breaks the normal heal auras but I can't remember if it's the same for red. Anyway I think it's only two or three enemies in the whole game that have a red heal aura, one of which is Majima himself.

Any heat action at all will do. I always make sure to at least have a pocket knife equipped in Kiwami to make sure I can defuse regen instantly.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Finished Judgement. What a great, satisfying game. I know they haven't really planned on a sequel (and to be honest Yagami's arc wrapped up in a satisfying way) but it would be rad to spend time with these characters for as many games as they want to do.

And of course now I am even more hyped up for Yakuza 7.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
wow aki, loving yikes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My complaints with Y3 have been somewhat alleviated by discovering that the Tiger Drop window is insanely huge and I can pull it off whenever I like for once.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

:eyepop:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just got judgment from the library and dropped 33 hrs into it in 2 weeks, did all the side stories besides Amon.

The good: tiger style, final boss fight, and honestly I really liked how all the friend stuff paid off , not being a total idiot all the time . Friends tying into side cases was a huge plus to me

Bad: didn't like the weird vr dice rolling thing was the main way to get money, how hard it was to get skill points (I didn't have max health or attack and wasnt particularly close even with buying some hug bombs) , and honestly the tailing was miserable.

Also the dating was super weird with two of the four girls, maybe that's just a cultural thing though. I actually didn't mind the gang stuff since a stealth extract would take care of the extra mooks running around and the minibosses were solid fights if I wanted to fight them.

Now I wait for y3-5 to hit libraries in disc form so I can check that out for months on end

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 22, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

:thatsrad:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I also recently finished Judgment and liked it very much, however pretty much all the systems they added are bad or at least severly underdeveloped. The chases are okay as a distraction I guess but don't have enough variety or flashy moves, the tailing just flat out sucks, and the investigation and court room stuff especially needs to be way more fleshed out for a sequel. I want it to feel more like its own game and less like a reskinned and slightly modded Yakuza.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Just got judgment from the library and dropped 33 hrs into it in 2 weeks

puny

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So the Yakuza games were on that list of "Oh, I heard these games were good, I should try them sometime", got Zero from a steam sale, and promptly didn't play it. I booted it and played like an hour's worth, but thought it was going to be some crazy karate sim and thought "This is clunky, why are people going so nuts over it"

I started it up again on friday and have been playing basically ever since, and the gameplay finally made sense once I got it in my head that this is a 3D River City Ransom, not some Metal Gear Rising parry-every-attack precision thing. This game rules.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

rotinaj posted:

So the Yakuza games were on that list of "Oh, I heard these games were good, I should try them sometime", got Zero from a steam sale, and promptly didn't play it. I booted it and played like an hour's worth, but thought it was going to be some crazy karate sim and thought "This is clunky, why are people going so nuts over it"

I started it up again on friday and have been playing basically ever since, and the gameplay finally made sense once I got it in my head that this is a 3D River City Ransom, not some Metal Gear Rising parry-every-attack precision thing. This game rules.

I'm glad you "got it" and got into it. The Yakuza series is unlike anything on the market and it's wonderful.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

mastershakeman posted:

Bad: didn't like the weird vr dice rolling thing was the main way to get money

It's probably telling that I preferred grinding out the poker trick with repeated reloading rather than sit through that dice game more than a couple times

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean how else is Yagami going to get to fight a tiger?

In this economy?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh my god Saejima loving why

yakuza 4 is gross with women.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I prefer literally every other game apart from Dead Souls to it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kurtofan posted:

Oh my god Saejima loving why

yakuza 4 is gross with women.

don't worry, kiryu's chapter is the best.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

rotinaj posted:

This is a great way to describe Yakuza.

Also, unrelated, River City Girls is fun. Though there needs to be minigames, then it can be a 2d Yakuza.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/KateDrawsComics/status/1176260017491763200

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Sakurazuka posted:

My complaints with Y3 have been somewhat alleviated by discovering that the Tiger Drop window is insanely huge and I can pull it off whenever I like for once.

Man, I had a much harder time with it than in 1, or the R1+Square equivalent in Yakuza 0.

One thing I did like about Y3 was that, many minigames (all?), once you've played them enough or achieved some level in them, there's a little substory or challenge that happens. That's something I was really hoping for in Y0 when I first started, and gives you a reason to play beyond completion. Though, fun story stuff being hidden behind games that some people might suck at or hate could be a problem. Like, I couldn't bring myself to play Shogi even once this time around.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Depending on the enemy, you use SSSTT (best choice with recovery, but some enemies will do a combo breaker), STT or SSS then Tiger Drop their counterattack.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I had never played a Yakuza game. My wife loves gangster stories and also loves us playing through games together, so we started recently on Yakuza 0.

It's good as hell. We only just finished chapter 5 and we love it. The only slightly annoying thing is the exhausting amount of side quests. Literally every 5 feet it's another cutscene opening up a side story. And they're mostly amazing, but just sooooo lengthy.

I think we're at about 16 or so hours played at this point and we only just wrapped chapter 5?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

So I had never played a Yakuza game. My wife loves gangster stories and also loves us playing through games together, so we started recently on Yakuza 0.

It's good as hell. We only just finished chapter 5 and we love it. The only slightly annoying thing is the exhausting amount of side quests. Literally every 5 feet it's another cutscene opening up a side story. And they're mostly amazing, but just sooooo lengthy.

I think we're at about 16 or so hours played at this point and we only just wrapped chapter 5?
Feel free to ignore any side quests for a bit, you can always finish them later!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Akuma posted:

Feel free to ignore any side quests for a bit, you can always finish them later!

Totally, I pick and choose when I want to do them, but sometimes I just want to run from one spot to another without a sidequest introduction cutscene triggering! :argh:

Also, goddamn is this game dense as gently caress with activities to do. I kinda of love it, but I also hope the other games aren't as dense so that it doesn't take me 6 years to get through all of them.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Totally, I pick and choose when I want to do them, but sometimes I just want to run from one spot to another without a sidequest introduction cutscene triggering! :argh:

Also, goddamn is this game dense as gently caress with activities to do. I kinda of love it, but I also hope the other games aren't as dense so that it doesn't take me 6 years to get through all of them.

Hahahaha!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is almost as beautiful as the "TIME TO DO SOME CRIMES!" Kiryu comic :allears:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I finally got to the FINAL SHOWDOWN in Y2. The perfect time to now put effort into getting my batting up to snuff and going deep into both main minigames!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Finished Chapter 9 in Judgment and really getting into it, might just beeline the rest of the story.

Yagami and Okubo crying as Yagami apologizes for failing him years ago and resolves to make it right is so good. It sounds like things get muddy in the older Yakuza games, but the character writing and drama in the modern ones I've played has always been spot on. They really nail the TV J-Drama presentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Haha that's me, drew it thinking it was too niche a joke to work but uhh I guess it did?