Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Keep in mind that the Supermegamonkey guy stopped at the end of 1994 because he got fed up with 90s comics. It's really invaluable for earlier stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Archyduchess posted:

the Supermegamonkey guy

Is that the King Kong Escapes version of the weirdo from the films forum?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Archyduchess posted:

Keep in mind that the Supermegamonkey guy stopped at the end of 1994 because he got fed up with 90s comics. It's really invaluable for earlier stuff though.

Hopefully CRMO will be back up before I get to it.

EDIT: Which is now back up! I would like to thank Pastry of the Year for their efforts in what was, no doubt, a trying time for all of us.

So question, what's everyone's favourite character with the word "dragon" in their name?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 24, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

I can't blame him. My attempt to read "all of" both Daredevil and Hulk flamed out in and because of the fuckin' 90s. (I pushed through Captain America and Fantastic Four because I am that bitch.) The panel-to-panel storytelling just got incomprehensible.

bessantj posted:

Hopefully CMRO will be back up before I get to it.

EDIT: Which is now back up! I would like to thank Pastry of the Year for his efforts in what was, no doubt, a trying time for all of us.

I'm happy to have helped, and hopefully, if you ever want to really go down a rabbit hole, the MCP will provide a way for you to collect and read every single appearance, in order, of Dollar Bill.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

I can't blame him. My attempt to read "all of" both Daredevil and Hulk flamed out in and because of the fuckin' 90s. (I pushed through Captain America and Fantastic Four because I am that bitch.) The panel-to-panel storytelling just got incomprehensible.

I'm going through as many as I can at the moment. I'm currently in 1972 with Captain America 145. I know I have some awful stuff to come.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The hulk in the 90s was Peter David and some of the best Hulk

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

So question, what's everyone's favourite character with the word "dragon" in their name?

The correct answer is Moondragon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Selachian posted:

The correct answer is Moondragon.

No it's not.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lurdiak posted:

No it's not.

It's Dragon Man, from Future Foundation.

Duh!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Archyduchess posted:

Completely stopped? I thought he just did rolling stoppages and turned off comments when he got sick of it for a bit.

I am doing the CMRO thing right now. Am in the mid 70s, took me three years of off and on reading. Very very close to giant size xmen. By the end of the year for sure.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Completely stopped? I thought he just did rolling stoppages and turned off comments when he got sick of it for a bit.

I am doing the CMRO thing right now. Am in the mid 70s, took me three years of off and on reading. Very very close to giant size xmen. By the end of the year for sure.

Alright reading buddy! :hfive: I'm early 70s myself but have set some time aside to rip through a few years.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

I'm happy to have helped, and hopefully, if you ever want to really go down a rabbit hole, the MCP will provide a way for you to collect and read every single appearance, in order, of Dollar Bill.

Thankfully, Larry Hama wrote a whole bunch of Wolverine in the 90s. 153/154 where liefeld comes back were the first issues I skipped because the plot was nonsense, in my Read Everything: Wolverine edition

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

Alright reading buddy! :hfive: I'm early 70s myself but have set some time aside to rip through a few years.

The best part is seeing all the cool stuff nobody ever talks about.

What are your highlights so far?

For me there are a few:

Steve Ditko is a master. I never really got it, but his work in Dr Strange completely and unexpectedly won me over, and I now can appreciate his work everywhere. Even the crazy stuff he did in these recent years before his death.

Gene Colan. His daredevil run with Stan lee was a sleeper hit with me and his art is just next level. When he came on submariner under the pen name Adam Austin I was blown away. His work was so much more modern than the other guys at marvel, to the point where I wonder how much of what we think of as modern was influenced by him.

Tales of Asgard. This is the best thing that Kirby and Stan did together. This is the foundation for the Thor mythology that they are building in the main series, and it’s all my favorite parts of Thor. Gods doing godly heroic things fighting against monsters and death herself. The main Thor series is real good too.

Jim Steranko. Better than Ditko, better than Colan, better than Kirby. Maybe the greatest cartoonist to ever work at marvel in terms of the distance between him and his contemporaries. Nobody else was doing the kinds of things he did with layout or storytelling on Shield. His work on covers or in the pages of a handful of other books are up there with my favorite marvel work of all time, but honestly those don’t hold a candle to his stuff on shield. Even today the idea of doing a four page spread would be unthinkable for most artists. At that time, wow.

Jim Starlin. Not Steranko level, but so much better than his peers. He hits during that gap between Kirby runs with marvel and his efforts are greatly appreciated. The Thanos stuff explores some interesting ideas and has wicked art to back it up.

Conan. Roy Thomas didn’t do it for me as a cape comics writer in is younger days, but the man was made to write and adapt Conan stories, and the pairing of Thomas with Buscema or Barry-Smith is just perfect. Conan books are consistently excellent.

Random 70s writers. The early 70s were weird man. They just threw stuff at the wall and hoped it stuck. And sometimes it did. Gerber and Englehart stand out as guys who, when they hit, can really knock it out of the park. The Englehart retcon of 50s racist Cap is up there with my favorite comics of all time, and Man Thing is just a wild ride.

Frank Brunner. Dude is incredible. He doesn’t do a lot and I haven’t read it all, but I’m really excited to catch up to his Dr Strange run. Genesis was pretty nuts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jordan7hm posted:

For me there are a few:

Steve Ditko is a master. I never really got it, but his work in Dr Strange completely and unexpectedly won me over, and I now can appreciate his work everywhere. Even the crazy stuff he did in these recent years before his death.

Tales of Asgard. This is the best thing that Kirby and Stan did together. This is the foundation for the Thor mythology that they are building in the main series, and it’s all my favorite parts of Thor. Gods doing godly heroic things fighting against monsters and death herself. The main Thor series is real good too.

Thor didn't even really become Thor until those backup Tales of Asgard stories. He was frankly a pretty boring superhero until they leaned into the mythology, one of the most important parts being an actual supporting cast beyond that early Marvel will they / won't they romance with Jane that was too common in those days.

Ditko can't have enough praise heaped on him but one thing that always struck me about his work in Spider-Man is that nobody really followed up his style much until at least the mid 80s. Artists followed the Romita mold for so long.

Also, just in general about all those highlights outside of the celebrated runs there's a lot of good Iron Man stuff other than Demon in a Bottle or Armor Wars that I read when going through his entire pre-Crossing history.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 24, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I can't blame anyone for stopping a "read all the Marvel supers stuff" project in 1994. That is the nadir of Marvel comics and it combines terrible art becoming standard, the loss of anyone even interested in telling coherent stories, and trying to flood the market with as much material as they can. At some point you have to go, "I could put a full work week into reading a month's worth of comics and enjoying maybe three of them [I'm being generous with that number, too], or I could be doing anything else."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bessantj posted:

I'm going through as many as I can at the moment. I'm currently in 1972 with Captain America 145. I know I have some awful stuff to come.

Actually, Cap is pretty dang good for a long while. You've got Englehart and DeMatteis to look forward to. Gruenwald loved Cap and wrote him as such but the editors didn't always give him artists to match.

But like honestly I'd recommend anything DeMatteis wrote, even the early unrefined stuff; he's like Ann Nocenti (to me) in that they have a ton of great, humanistic ideas that might not always land but make you happy to have been along for the ride.

Soonmot posted:

Thankfully, Larry Hama wrote a whole bunch of Wolverine in the 90s.

Hama's Wolverine is a pretty good read, but it definitely needs to be read all as a piece or not at all; also, if you're already a Hama fan through GI Joe, you're going to see a lot of repeated dialogue and concepts.

BUT

Jordan7hm posted:

Random 70s writers. The early 70s were weird man. They just threw stuff at the wall and hoped it stuck. And sometimes it did. Gerber and Englehart stand out as guys who, when they hit, can really knock it out of the park. The Englehart retcon of 50s racist Cap is up there with my favorite comics of all time, and Man Thing is just a wild ride.

Generally do this. 70s Marvel is so good, if you have the right heart for it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Generally do this. 70s Marvel is so good, if you have the right heart for it.

Unfortunately, things become a real mixed bag. You've got books that are spinning their wheels for years just trying to do the same things Lee did and then you've people breaking out and trying to stretch things. In general, the wilder experiments turned out better than the legacy books.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don’t love the 70s and wouldn’t recommend them per se. There are good sections but it’s no late 60s.

And for every hit there are a half dozen mediocre books and another half dozen just good books.

And a book in the second person. Fuuuuuck that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Jordan7hm posted:

And a book in the second person. Fuuuuuck that.

Which one is that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

lifg posted:

Which one is that?

I think early Iron Fist was written in second person.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Werewolf by night was bad with it. I think the otherwise good Simon Garth tales of the zombie magazines had it too.

So did dozens of other random stories. It was a real common thing for like 4 years once again stopped writing every book.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Phew, okay, fair, but you had Mike Ploog art in there, and the "monster of Frankenstein" that would eventually become part of 616-continuity was pretty good!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phew, okay, fair, but you had Mike Ploog art in there, and the "monster of Frankenstein" that would eventually become part of 616-continuity was pretty good!

Mike Ploog did not do enough art for Marvel.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I think that's his intention but I don't know for sure. I hope he gets the motivation to keep going because I know here and there he'd mention being able to push through and get to some of the interesting stuff at the end of the 90s like Thunderbolts.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

For me there are a few:

Gene Colan. His daredevil run with Stan lee was a sleeper hit with me and his art is just next level. When he came on submariner under the pen name Adam Austin I was blown away. His work was so much more modern than the other guys at marvel, to the point where I wonder how much of what we think of as modern was influenced by him.

Jim Steranko. Better than Ditko, better than Colan, better than Kirby. Maybe the greatest cartoonist to ever work at marvel in terms of the distance between him and his contemporaries. Nobody else was doing the kinds of things he did with layout or storytelling on Shield. His work on covers or in the pages of a handful of other books are up there with my favorite marvel work of all time, but honestly those don’t hold a candle to his stuff on shield. Even today the idea of doing a four page spread would be unthinkable for most artists. At that time, wow.

Jim Starlin. Not Steranko level, but so much better than his peers. He hits during that gap between Kirby runs with marvel and his efforts are greatly appreciated. The Thanos stuff explores some interesting ideas and has wicked art to back it up.

Conan. Roy Thomas didn’t do it for me as a cape comics writer in is younger days, but the man was made to write and adapt Conan stories, and the pairing of Thomas with Buscema or Barry-Smith is just perfect. Conan books are consistently excellent.

Frank Brunner. Dude is incredible. He doesn’t do a lot and I haven’t read it all, but I’m really excited to catch up to his Dr Strange run. Genesis was pretty nuts.

I've really liked a lot of the cosmic stuff. As you've said Dr. Strange has been really good. The Fantastic Four cosmic stuff as well and of course the Thor cosmic stuff has been a huge highlight. The designs of all of it has been great. Spider-Man has been quite enjoyable as well. A lot of the stories are kind of the same thing, you have a monster or enemy that come to conquer the Earth or somewhere similar and the heroes take a kicking before coming out on top. A guilty pleasure of it is the attitudes as well, the sexist language has had me laughing out loud on more than on occasion.

Actually, Cap is pretty dang good for a long while. You've got Englehart and DeMatteis to look forward to. Gruenwald loved Cap and wrote him as such but the editors didn't always give him artists to match.

But like honestly I'd recommend anything DeMatteis wrote, even the early unrefined stuff; he's like Ann Nocenti (to me) in that they have a ton of great, humanistic ideas that might not always land but make you happy to have been along for the ride.

I was thinking more generally, Avengers 200 for example *shudder*

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I mainly watch adaptations and read only the occasional comic but is Sabretooth being paired with Magneto in all the cartoons and movies because of of the 90s cartoon? What is their history like in the comics?

It seems to me that the moral ambiguity of Magneto and his cause is hurt by having an underling that is so incredibly violent. I know, I know, comics are comics and everyone has been everything, hero and villain and in-between. But my understanding is that Victor is still largely defined by being savage and murderous. He does not seem to go with Magneto's high-minded ideals for mutantkind. Also Magneto working with him compromises Magneto's own credibility in a way if you understand what I mean.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

So I mainly watch adaptations and read only the occasional comic but is Sabretooth being paired with Magneto in all the cartoons and movies because of of the 90s cartoon? What is their history like in the comics?

It seems to me that the moral ambiguity of Magneto and his cause is hurt by having an underling that is so incredibly violent. I know, I know, comics are comics and everyone has been everything, hero and villain and in-between. But my understanding is that Victor is still largely defined by being savage and murderous. He does not seem to go with Magneto's high-minded ideals for mutantkind. Also Magneto working with him compromises Magneto's own credibility in a way if you understand what I mean.

He gets paired with Magneto in other media because he's the big Wolverine arch-enemy and Magneto is the big X-Men arch-enemy. Since Wolverine is the "star", Sabretooth has to be there.

Comics-wise, Sabretooth's first real encounter with Wolverine or X-Men was as one of the Marauders killing all the Morlocks and those guys were working for Mr. Sinister. So that's his real link. The thing is, Sabretooth was a total D-lister, an obscure guy who fought Iron Fist a couple of times and then got used \in a forgetable Spider-Man story. Basically, three appearances in his first ten years of existence. So he was just another throw away villain in the Mutant Massacre crossover except for one thing: he had a big three-way fight between himself, Wolverine, and Katie Power (first person who says "who?" has to go read all of Louise Simonson's Power Pack). Sabretooth got killed in that crossover like the rest of the Marauders.

Except that big fight got a big response, so he started coming back to harass Wolverine. The real kick in his career, the thing that turned him from D-lister to real villain was Wolverine #10 which detailed how every year on Wolverine's birthday, Sabretooth comes by to kick his rear end. From that point on Sabretooth was a big villain.

But I really struggle to think of any times where he's interacted with Magneto. The two of them just move in different circles.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Sabretooth's big debut in X-Men canon was as part of Mister Sinister's Marauders, who were extra-grim evil murderers with names like Scalphunter and Malice (and, what's more, murderers who specifically targeted mutants for extermination). Definitely a villain organisation with a totally different vibe from Magneto's Brotherhood.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

But I really struggle to think of any times where he's interacted with Magneto. The two of them just move in different circles.

I'm struggling to think of any time Magneto or Sabretooth have ever appeared in a story or scene together prior to Bunn's Uncanny X-Men stuff (and that's good Sabretooth, anyway).

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It's been a long while since I read Mutant Massacre, but didn't Psylocke defeat him at one point in the story?

I can't remember if he jumped her, she beat him up then he later fought Wolverine, or if he fought Wolverine, slinked off and later jumped her.

The one thing I do remember is the fact that 'frail' seemed to be Claremont's go-to insult for a man talking to a woman. Like 'Not so fast, frail!' Was that actually a slang back in the day? I never heard/saw it outside of Claremont's stuff, and always wondered 'What is this guy's deal with everyone calling women that?'

Or was it just a stand-in because words like 'bitch' were a complete no-go?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's been a long while since I read Mutant Massacre, but didn't Psylocke defeat him at one point in the story?

I can't remember if he jumped her, she beat him up then he later fought Wolverine, or if he fought Wolverine, slinked off and later jumped her.

The one thing I do remember is the fact that 'frail' seemed to be Claremont's go-to insult for a man talking to a woman. Like 'Not so fast, frail!' Was that actually a slang back in the day? I never heard/saw it outside of Claremont's stuff, and always wondered 'What is this guy's deal with everyone calling women that?'

That was the super-sweet Alan Davis-drawn issue. Psylocke didn't beat Sabertooth, but she survived a lot longer than she should have, and then Wolverine showed up to fight him, and Psylocke read secrets out of Sabertooth's brain while he was busy fighting, so neener-neener.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Lots of details on that here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoomahmoos.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/grudge-match-psylocke-versus-sabretooth/amp/

She distracted him while the morlocks were healing in the x-mansion. Wolverine and a few other x-men were at the mansion injured. She held him off and distracted him for a long time till Wolverine finished it. Sabretooth definitely got some revenge on her in the 90s (on that page I linked).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alan Davis is so good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
15 years later he gutted her and nearly killed her which lead to her stupid face tattoo phase.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Probably the latter, although "frail" was 1930s hepcat jazz musician slang for a woman. If you've ever seen The Blues Brothers, you saw the scene with legendary bandleader Cab Calloway performing his big hit "Minnie the Moocher," with the classic line:

"She was the roughest, toughest frail
But Minnie had a heart as big as a whale."

You reminded me of how John Ostrander always wrote Captain Boomerang in Suicide Squad, calling women "bikes" and "bloody bikes."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rochallor posted:

I'm struggling to think of any time Magneto or Sabretooth have ever appeared in a story or scene together prior to Bunn's Uncanny X-Men stuff (and that's good Sabretooth, anyway).

When Magneto had a bunch of Marauder clones doing his vigilante bidding, I think one was Sabretooth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You reminded me of how John Ostrander always wrote Captain Boomerang in Suicide Squad, calling women "bikes" and "bloody bikes."

As in the town bike, I assume.

Haven't heard it as Aussie slang though.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

His accent was really all over the place. Another Aussie called him out on it when they were on a boat late in that Ostrander Suicide Squad run. I remember it being funny but when I google for panels all I am finding are things about the movie.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Probably the latter, although "frail" was 1930s hepcat jazz musician slang for a woman. If you've ever seen The Blues Brothers, you saw the scene with legendary bandleader Cab Calloway performing his big hit "Minnie the Moocher," with the classic line:

"She was the roughest, toughest frail
But Minnie had a heart as big as a whale."

I now believe and insist that Sabretooth also dances like rotoscoped Cab Calloway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Or rhyming slang for "dyke"?