Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

i liked them as a change of pace. do i kind of wish they were all like the first level in the forges was? sorta. do i hate the forges in general, though? nah.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised to find how many people straight up disliked them. I played through them before I learned of their reputation, but I would have never guessed that that would be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just don't like the enemy type's in those levels, and the visuals were just hell on my eyes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
The Forges had the problem that they came right after the stunning Solar Solstice and before the beautiful Arcane Expanse.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really liked the moody and rainy first level in the forges and my only actual complaint about the episode is that the rest wasn't also like that because that aesthetic was cool as gently caress. i really enjoyed the enemy designs and a lot of the aesthetics in general despite my complaint, though. also the platforming was pretty fun? it never seemed to go on too long and i could just rocketjump here and there if i wanted to.

i can absolutely get why some might not be a fan of it, though, i just don't think it's awful by any stretch.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Jesus Christ gently caress the last map ("Fire and Ice") of Scythe. I managed to do the whole WAD with no mid level saves, but on it I save scummed like a bastard and still took hours and hours to finish that poo poo. I'm so glad it's over. *wall opens with 950 Revenants and 10 Archviles*

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 24, 2019

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mystic Stylez posted:

Jesus Christ gently caress the last map ("Fire and Ice") of Scythe. I managed to do the whole WAD with no mid level saves, but on it I save scummed like a bastard and still took hours and hours to finish that poo poo. I'm so glad it's over. *wall opens with 950 Revenants and 10 Archviles*

The last five levels of Scythe are pretty bad. If the rest of the wad wasn't so good it would be a shame.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

The last five levels of Scythe are pretty bad. If the rest of the wad wasn't so good it would be a shame.

I took the author's readme advice and played episodes 1 and 2 on UV and 3 on HMP, but I had no idea what the hell was waiting me at the end, what a goddamn slog. I get that you can/should? aim for some variety or change of pace, but even then I don't think it was a particularly good idea to go almost slaughtermap (twice, even) in a WAD whose main selling point is "short and cool levels".

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 24, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finished Amid Evil. Arcane Express was definitely the standout pack of levels for me, and I'm glad The Forges was a one off thing. Didn't like the final boss, but I'm not really into boss fights in general.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The Forge definitely gave me way more trouble than the other episodes for whatever reason. I agree, though - I really enjoyed the aesthetic of the first level, the lasers looked really good coming at you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Arcane Expanse > Forges >> everything else

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Y'know... I knew it was coming, but it didn't stop me from laughing like the moron that I am when the little guy 'HUH'd off the train. :golfclap:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Relax Or DIE posted:

The Forge definitely gave me way more trouble than the other episodes for whatever reason. I agree, though - I really enjoyed the aesthetic of the first level, the lasers looked really good coming at you.

It was such a surprise to transition from fantasy type areas to this dark, rainy, neon industrial hellscape. With lasers no less!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Forges weak point is the boring, rolling metal spheres enemies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Forges has one very memorable lowpoint and that's spending five minutes ascending the clockwork tower only to be met by 8 enemies at the top who all have knockback attacks, either sending you back down to the start or crushing you under the machinery below.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh no, according to the new doom movie bj survives all the way to the 22nd century only to be killed by demons

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't remember if I asked this before, but how does Doom VR play? Is it strictly teleport movement? Or can i use a left analog stick and move freely while using head to look and right stick to turn? Doom in VR sounds good but I hate teleport movement.

site posted:

oh no, according to the new doom movie bj survives all the way to the 22nd century only to be killed by demons

Also, what?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
theres a new doom movie and the first dead guy they find is id'd as william blazkowicz

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

It’s cool, he respawns but with just a pistol.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://twitter.com/radiatoryang/status/1176622755741147137

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lol I was about to post this. Just last week I was bitching about map making software and how even industry professionals just shrug their shoulders when asked. Now I'm using gzDoom because it's actually really fast to prototype levels and export to Unity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A) what is it with the doom movies using names as clumsily as possible
B) Doomguy is, himself, a blazkowicz according to Doom RPG which I treat as the highest of cannon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does the nuDoom movie have an FPS sequence

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it sadly does not

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

site posted:

it sadly does not

Even fuckin Roger Ebert cited that as the best sequence in a lousy movie! That seems like such a weirdly obvious thing to screw up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i dunno what to say, i was hoping for one too. overall i liked this one a lot better than the karl/rock movie though. and doomgirl is now canon so it wins by default anyways

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Making a Doom movie should be a no brainer, you find the studio that did Hardcore Henry and call it a day.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
New Doom movie highlights:

1) "I'm your ultra nightmare mother fuckers!" *immediately gets throat ripped out*

2) Aforementioned BJ Blazko reference

3) Guy with double barrel shotgun uses it....once :mad:

4) Marine HUDs have automaps. And crosshairs! lol

5) Doomgirl got the chainsaw! Find some meat!

6) The BFG 9000 doesn't gib a god drat thing. :mad: :mad:

7) Someone nabs a silly looking blue keycard prop.

Overall, an incredible stupid but enjoyable mess.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

...Doomgirl is named Joann Dark

Are they hinting at another classic FPS movie tie-in???

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Overall, an incredible stupid but enjoyable mess.

drat, that's basically exactly what I was hoping for

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

What if the corpse is Keen?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The main character's name in the Doom movie (2019) is Joan Dark :downsrim:

Edit: dang, already posted....

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

site posted:

yeah i dunno what to say, i was hoping for one too. overall i liked this one a lot better than the karl/rock movie though. and doomgirl is now canon so it wins by default anyways

oh snap I guess I gotta see this

al-azad posted:

...Doomgirl is named Joann Dark

Are they hinting at another classic FPS movie tie-in???

That's just awkward. Either make it Joanna Dark or don't. Its like they remembered the name but forgot where from and thought they'd invented it or something.

I guess its just a fun wink and no tie-in so they can't actually use the real name. But at that point call her Joanna and leave out the last name or something, IDK.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Somehow the naming got dumber???

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the geek in me made me think of joanna dark but i figured it was really joan d'arc

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Jeanne d'Arc's spinning in her grave

edit: gently caress

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if anybody does want to see it, just warning you it is very B-movie, its just good B-movie not bad B-movie

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

site posted:

the geek in me made me think of joanna dark but i figured it was really joan d'arc

oohhhhhhhhh

I wonder if that's where Rare got the name from too :doh:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Hello folk, does anybody know of the twitter handle that posts obscure fps maps? Like old, forgotten player made counter strike maps. They look all lonely and bittersweet. Or maybe the tumblr or some such? Its really good but mighty hard to google. Cheers.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Hello folk, does anybody know of the twitter handle that posts obscure fps maps? Like old, forgotten player made counter strike maps. They look all lonely and bittersweet. Or maybe the tumblr or some such? Its really good but mighty hard to google. Cheers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/goldsourcegold?lang=en was it this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Daikatana is on humble right now for like a dollar. I guess I'm about to be made a bitch. Can't wait to experience the awesome companion ai I've heard so much about.