Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bird cooch posted:

Justice Roberts will be the president of the trial. There's only going to be so much that McConnell can do in theory because each senator is going to have to look at what's presented to them and what's presented to the public and then vote.

So there's no winning easily or even likely in the Senate, but this being an impeachment will put McConnell in a little bit deeper water than normal.

Other than the Chief Justice presiding over the inquiry, there are no actual rules for how to run the trial. There isn't even anything requiring the Senate to actually hold that trial.

List of things actually required by the Constitution:
  • Chief Justice presides over Presidential impeachment(nothing about who presides over non-Presidential impeachments).

• The Senate has the sole power to try impeachments.

• 2/3 vote of the members present in the Senate is required for an impeachment.(maybe we can get the Republicans to go to a 9/11 memorial?)

• Impeachment punishment is limited to removal from office and/or barring the impeached from ever holding further Federal Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

People who have lived through three impeachments: :catdrugs:

Those of us on our second: :getin:

Youngsters on their first: :witch:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Majorian posted:

I did read what you wrote. What you wrote about the majority not appearing in the House until today was not a valid response to my point. Pelosi could have shown some leadership before today and made that majority appear sooner than almost three years into Trump's term.

e: oops, misread. I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Yes I, some dork on a comedy forum, who is not preview to the inner workings of the house and the positions held by all of the people within, know better about what's going on there then literally everyone else in the world.

also my entire post is a cohesive thought and which I respond to three posters so give the whole thing a reed it's not very long.

Do you not see the immense hubris in your post (s)?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McConnell sitting on it after tons of damaging info comes out would almost be worth it.

That could be just enough to get him to lose in 2020.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FizFashizzle posted:

McConnell sitting on it after tons of damaging info comes out would almost be worth it.

That could be just enough to get him to lose in 2020.

You know turtles can live for over a hundred years, right?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bird cooch posted:

Yes I, some dork on a comedy forum, who is not preview to the inner workings of the house and the positions held by all of the people within, know better about what's going on there then literally everyone else in the world.

I'm hardly the only person who has been saying for the past several months that Pelosi needed to stop opposing impeachment with every fiber of her being.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IT BURNS posted:

Those of us on our second: :getin:

Youngsters on their first: :witch:

Nobody is old enough to have lived through any impeachment other than Clinton.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Gyges posted:

Other than the Chief Justice presiding over the inquiry, there are no actual rules for how to run the trial. There isn't even anything requiring the Senate to actually hold that trial.

List of things actually required by the Constitution:
[/list]

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CDOC-99sdoc33/html/CDOC-99sdoc33.htm

Here's the actual rules, I didn't want to be a dick and take up an entire Page by pasting them here.

There's a whole lot of 'shall'

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

I think they meant the almost-impeachment of Nixon. Give it to 'em.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gyges posted:

Oh god yeah there is.

There's tons of goons in their early 50s, and one in his 70s.

edit* ahh never mind

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I said this in the last thread and I'll say it again--politicians take action to save their own asses, not the country.

And we don't normally threaten their asses enough for then to take action and consider their country.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh god yeah there is.

There's tons of goons in their early 50s, and one in his 70s.

edit* ahh never mind

The point the pedantic goon is trying to make is that Nixon wasn't actually impeached so you'd have to go back to Andrew Johnson.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bird cooch posted:

Here's the actual rules, I didn't want to be a dick and take up an entire Page by pasting them here.

These are not Constitutional requirements, they are simply rules that the Senate has adopted. They are not binding and can be changed or ignored by the majority as they wish.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Imagine being the mayor of New York during one of the worst terrorist attacks on US soil, and then less than twenty years later, pull this poo poo on the American people.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Otteration posted:

And we don't normally threaten their asses enough for then to take action and consider their country.

It took a power hungry millionaire confined to a wheelchair who said the right things to become president during the Great Depression for minimum wage to finally become the law.

We ought to be more involved, but we aren't. The best we can do a lot of the time is take what we can get.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

bird cooch posted:

Shall is generally a requirement in laws and regulations, I think.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Imagine being the mayor of New York during one of the worst terrorist attacks on US soil, and then less than twenty years later, pull this poo poo on the American people.

he was always a monster, he hosed his misstress by a window overlooking ground zero.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The point the pedantic goon is trying to make is that Nixon wasn't actually impeached so you'd have to go back to Andrew Johnson.

I was alive for the Johnson impeachment. :drac:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

IT BURNS posted:

Politics, cat drugs, sausage, and protest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ringo Star Get posted:

Rudy was always a shithead, though. It's not like he was some magical saintly being.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Tibalt posted:

Shall is a mandate in most US law, “may” is optional.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

President Bartlet :colbert:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1176665110988939264?s=19

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Tibalt posted:

Shall means "you will loving do it" in legalese

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Well on 9/10 he was a hated rear end in a top hat most recently known for dumping his wife in a press conference so he could marry his very public mistress and having just dropped out of a Senate race he was losing to a carpetbagging Hillary Clinton. So its not that hard to imagine.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

It took a power hungry millionaire confined to a wheelchair who said the right things to become president during the Great Depression for minimum wage to finally become the law.

We ought to be more involved, but we aren't. The best we can do a lot of the time is take what we can get.

Sucks to be us.

Need a reference for "power hungry" though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Reminder how much of this poo poo Rudy has been bragging about for months

https://twitter.com/DanAmira/status...ingawful.com%2F

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus that was fast. do we have enough to reach that number?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cr0y posted:

Shall means "you will loving do it" in legalese

what people are getting at is the “or what” part

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bots hard at work making #Trump2020LandslideVictory top trending

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There are 235 Dems + 1 independent Amash

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

STAC Goat posted:

Well on 9/10 he was a hated rear end in a top hat most recently known for dumping his wife in a press conference so he could marry his very public mistress and having just dropped out of a Senate race he was losing to a carpetbagging Hillary Clinton. So its not that hard to imagine.

If you have 90 minutes to spare, I found a good documentary about life in NYC on 9/10/01. Rudy's shittyness is prominently featured.

https://youtu.be/MOzV_U6NFB0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

There are 235 Dems + 1 independent Amash

ok so they will get a bunch of them. i assume they won't get any GOP ghouls.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Rudy was just a simple coffee lawyer, no one really knew him

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Otteration posted:

Need a reference for "power hungry" though.

I don't have one. I'm inferring it because I had a US history teacher in college that described FDR's political history as wanting to be great, including becoming Secretary of the Navy just like cousin Teddy was.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Glumslinger posted:

Can’t wait for the house to drag that mush brain in front of them and force him to answer questions under oath.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Can’t wait for the house to drag that mush brain in front of them and force him to answer questions under oath.

Don't get your hopes up, I've seen that episode. The day before the hearing he is hospitalized for some unclear reason and the nation should really just come together in the spirit of unity and send him and his family well wishes. He is america's mayor, after all.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SAD!

Should have been loving unanimous during the loving Pleistocene.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Politico has it at 202, and it looks like there are at least 16 more in safe-ish seats so yeah, I think we’ve got the votes.

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2019/house-reps-who-would-vote-for-trump-impeachment-our-latest-list/

edit: plus Justin Amash is likely to vote for impeachment (though he’ll be obnoxious about it and only vote for like one of the 12 charges or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Glumslinger posted: