Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

I read that as Iowas and I was about to get irrationally angry.

Have you considered that in actuality slapping a nuclear reactor and stealth coating onto the Missouri is the future of warfare? Now it'll be able to travel too fast for the PLAN to keep track of so it can stealthily ram the entire PLAN before they know what hit them. Make Ramming Great Again :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Don Gato posted:

Make Ramming Great Again :pseudo:

There's a joke in here somewhere about the coverup to the Iowa turret explosion

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Don Gato posted:

Have you considered that in actuality slapping a nuclear reactor and stealth coating onto the Missouri is the future of warfare? Now it'll be able to travel too fast for the PLAN to keep track of so it can stealthily ram the entire PLAN before they know what hit them. Make Ramming Great Again :pseudo:

Basically just paint it up to look like a Philippine fishing boat and hang out in international waters until Chinese ships sink themselves on it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Warbadger posted:

Basically just paint it up to look like a Philippine fishing boat and hang out in international waters until Chinese ships the entire 7th fleet sink themselves on it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

No that would be disguised as a container ship

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fearless posted:

I shudder to think what restarting production on 16" guns and their ammunition would cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSgxpZD2qRw

"Each barrel is 68 feet long and weighs 120 tons."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

There are a few drones that can be launched out of subs. One is designed to be launched from the 3-inch countermeasure tubes and apparently the navy has it in inventory.

https://news.usni.org/2016/03/31/navy-set-to-buy-awesum-miniature-sub-launched-uavs

edit: found this on google image search

I feel like everyone is skipping over this official navy slide suggesting that the trash chute should be used to launch a UAV.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

And a japanese fishing boat for the subs

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

You know what's a sure cure for suicidal ideation? Talking to someone about it or asking for help and having your career openly or surreptitiously ruined, while you may or may not be poo poo on by your peers for it.

Not emptyquoting.

People who work in a job with a clearance - whether they're uniformed or not - are dis-incentivized from asking for help because if you're seen as a potential "Section 8" or security risk, you'll lose your job or be reassigned/blacklisted. Just what someone on the ledge needs - to be treated like a 'damaged unit' and shoved out of a major responsibility of their life into the equivalent of a broom closet, away from where they can hurt anything that matters.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not emptyquoting.

People who work in a job with a clearance - whether they're uniformed or not - are dis-incentivized from asking for help because if you're seen as a potential "Section 8" or security risk, you'll lose your job or be reassigned/blacklisted. Just what someone on the ledge needs - to be treated like a 'damaged unit' and shoved out of a major responsibility of their life into the equivalent of a broom closet, away from where they can hurt anything that matters.

Yeah. Better to kill yourself than to risk potentially damaging one’s career.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

priznat posted:

Unless it was a sub

Efb

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wasn't the Japanese ship the sub crashed into a fishing research ship full of students, several of whom died?

fake e: Yep

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Yup, this is the calculus they suggested was being made and not that career pressures could push depressed and/or suicidal people away from getting help, but lol, suicidal people?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Holy shitballs, I knew that LHDs were quick to build, but not that fast!

China Launches 1st Type 075 LHD for PLAN

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

priznat posted:

Wasn't the Japanese ship the sub crashed into a fishing research ship full of students, several of whom died?

fake e: Yep

Yeah, I considered mentioning the submarines but it'd have to be a Japanese fishing boat to attract those.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fearless posted:

I shudder to think what restarting production on 16" guns and their ammunition would cost.

Weren't the smart-shell Zumwalt cannon stuff estimating at like 1.25 mil per shot fired or something insane like that?

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

You're gross.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That Works posted:

Weren't the smart-shell Zumwalt cannon stuff estimating at like 1.25 mil per shot fired or something insane like that?

You're gross.

The AGC is the most economical naval gun currently in service. :imunfunny:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

"be sure of your target, and what's behind it" gets real hard with laser stuff.

With lasers, a thick atmosphere and the curvature of the earth really help out in limiting collateral damage.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I...think the NYT said military personnel are a bunch of lucky duckies...:thunk:

So lucky to have access to Motrin horse pills and a return to duty profile.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 25, 2019

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That Works posted:

They spent an enormous amount of money on development, then only built a few of them. Actual production cost was much lower.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSgxpZD2qRw

"Each barrel is 68 feet long and weighs 120 tons."

it is mind blowing to me that these barrels were only good for a couple hundred rounds

could they be refurbished somehow after they were shot out, or was it to the scrapyard?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bewbies posted:

it is mind blowing to me that these barrels were only good for a couple hundred rounds

could they be refurbished somehow after they were shot out, or was it to the scrapyard?

Didn't they all have thin barrel liners and that was the only part that got replaced?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

They had a liner that could be separated and replaced.

From https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a183947.pdf

quote:

A 16-inch gun barrel does not have to be scrapped when it is
worn out in service because of its built-up type construction.
After the barrel is removed from service it is shipped back to a
manufacturing facility. There the complete assembly is placed in
the furnace pits used to heat the barrel during assembly. Cooling
water is then piped through the interior of the barrel. While the
assembly is being heated large jacks pull on the liner until it is
broken loose from the assembly. The liner is then removed from the
assembly and a new liner placed into the old assembly. The new
assembly is machined internally to become a new gun barrel ready for
proof-firing and issue to the fleet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gnoman posted:

They spent an enormous amount of money on development, then only built a few of them. Actual production cost was much lower.

Talkin about :

quote:

The Advanced Gun System (AGS) is a naval artillery system developed and produced by BAE Systems Armaments Systems for the Zumwalt-class destroyer of the United States Navy. Designated the 155 mm/62 (6.1") Mark 51 Advanced Gun System (AGS),[1] it was designed to provide long range naval gunfire support against shore-based targets. A total of six of the systems have been installed, two on each of the three Zumwalt-class ships. The Navy has no plans for additional Zumwalt-class ships,[2][3] and no plans to deploy AGS on any other ship. AGS can only use ammunition designed specifically for the system. Only one ammunition type was designed, and the Navy halted its procurement in November 2016 due to cost ($800,000 to $1 million per round), so the AGS has no ammunition and cannot be used.[4][5][1]

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

n0tqu1tesane posted:

that is a relief but man that is still a massive undertaking

That Works posted:

Talkin about :

The projected per unit cost was actually extremely cheap, which was one of the big advantages of the system over missiles and rocket artillery, but all of the economies of scale were lost when things got cancelled, as they do.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

that is a relief but man that is still a massive undertaking

Well, with a gun that big, I don't think any maintenance is anything but a massive undertaking.

Here's a picture of a barrel separated into its components:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not emptyquoting.

This has greatly improved in recent years. Here's the current SF-86 question, asking if you have:

quote:

Had a court or administrative agency declare them mentally incompetent

Been ordered by a court or administrative health agency to meet with a mental health professional

Been hospitalized due to a mental health condition

A mental or another type of health condition that has a significant adverse effect on judgment, reliability or trustworthiness

Had a health care professional issue a diagnosis of psychotic disorder, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, delusional disorder, bipolar mood disorder, borderline personality disorder or antisocial personality disorder

I've personally known people with clearances and depression, anxiety, medicated ADD, etc and I've never seen adverse consequences. Admittedly this is on the civilian side.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Well, with a gun that big, I don't think any maintenance is anything but a massive undertaking.

Here's a picture of a barrel separated into its components:

Did the Dora have a similar replaceable lining?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Hired Goons mercenary LP is starting up again and is still accepting pilots for pre-95 military aircraft. Our airforce currently consists of:

No word on if we got to keep our navy: a sig-int boat and a diesel submarine.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=498519569

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That Works posted:

Talkin about :

If something cost $1,000,000 to develop, and costs $1000 to manufacture, the unit cost on 10 of them is $ 101,000. That means that cutting the buy down to a small fraction of the original makes the unit cost shoot into the stratosphere.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Russian mercs from Wagner group are apparently fighting in Libya, on the side of the rebel Haftar. He worked with I believe the french and CIA before he moved against the government, seems everybody likes this guy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-25/-putin-s-chef-deploys-mercenaries-to-libya-in-latest-adventure

Kinda interesting article actually, I wasn't aware there were so many foreigners involved in the current fighting in Libya, with Turkey wupporting the government side and UAE and Egypt on Haftar's side.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 25, 2019

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Gnoman posted:

If something cost $1,000,000 to develop, and costs $1000 to manufacture, the unit cost on 10 of them is $ 101,000. That means that cutting the buy down to a small fraction of the original makes the unit cost shoot into the stratosphere.

What I've never been clear on is if that money was already spent. If the rounds were already developed, then the rounds are still only $1,000 to manufacture.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gnoman posted:

I know how that works. I wasn't talking about that. My reply was to this:

quote:

And well, I'd say the current million dollar shots area already a good metric for this.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Captain von Trapp posted:

This has greatly improved in recent years. Here's the current SF-86 question, asking if you have:

I've personally known people with clearances and depression, anxiety, medicated ADD, etc and I've never seen adverse consequences. Admittedly this is on the civilian side.

Mil-side it depends a lot on your unit but I do know people currently being treated for depression who didn't lose their clearance.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm too tired to type out my usual rant about the Iowa explosion so just imagine it

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mortabis posted:

What I've never been clear on is if that money was already spent. If the rounds were already developed, then the rounds are still only $1,000 to manufacture.

Not if those $1000 are being spent in a single (or very few) congressional district(s).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dante80 posted:

Holy shitballs, I knew that LHDs were quick to build, but not that fast!

China Launches 1st Type 075 LHD for PLAN

If you think about it, a LHD is a container ship with some odd decks on top of it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Don Gato posted:

Mil-side it depends a lot on your unit but I do know people currently being treated for depression who didn't lose their clearance.

It varies, but of all the suicidal or depressed folk I’ve been in the chain for, the only ones who had clearances suspended had aggravating details such as being dishonest, financial liabilities, and substance abuse. That was a very small percentage of people over the years.

That said, yeah, I’d still be reluctant to seek help unless it were really serious, despite all that. It’s dumb and mental health stigma sucks and it’s easily internalized.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm impressed that at the end of that section, the author mentions that we can now build a 16 inch cannon with monoblock construction. I cant even picture that. Material science is pretty impressive.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zhanism posted:

I'm impressed that at the end of that section, the author mentions that we can now build a 16 inch cannon with monoblock construction. I cant even picture that. Material science is pretty impressive.

I wonder how 30+ more years of materials science since that paper was published has changed how a barrel of that size would be constructed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I wonder how 30+ more years of materials science since that paper was published has changed how a barrel of that size would be constructed.

Carbon Fiber Wire Wound(TM), Ceramic-Line Low Friction Velocity Enhancer (TM).

In all seriousness, if we have to build a 16 inch rifle, I bet it wont be even rifled. Fin stabilized would probably be the better balance between ease of construction and performance.