Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like the old artifact frame but its a worthy death to not have the other frames around

Artifacts not being brown still throws me off, as I get back into magic.

I do like how the colored artifacts have their colors tinging the border though. All the multicolored cards look great.

The original Blue borders are the best though. That was pure 90s goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I love all the old frames, especially the red and blue ones.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Old frames best frames, especially the gold ones. Fight me

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

Old frames best frames, especially the gold ones. Fight me
I still sometimes buy odd Legends cards just to huff the nostalgia of seeing that frame on a card I haven't seen before in person.

Lady of the Mountain is still such a gorgeous piece.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
8th edition was great because the way they inked the artifact cards made it impossible at a glance to tell if the card was white or an artifact without looking at CC or type line

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I really like the old frames on artifacts and all black cards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

8th edition was great because the way they inked the artifact cards made it impossible at a glance to tell if the card was white or an artifact without looking at CC or type line

If I remember that continued into Mirrodin, which made it a fun block to try and look through a bunch of cards from at a glance. Might have been cleaned up for Fifth Dawn?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

I really like the old frames on artifacts and all black cards.

All cards, really. The foils look gorgeous, I'd love to see that combined with the way they also treat the art with foiling now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
At this point I don’t understand why anybody wants new foils. They are all terrible. Every time I open one I immediately sell it.

They all end up like pringles.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sickening posted:

At this point I don’t understand why anybody wants new foils. They are all terrible. Every time I open one I immediately sell it.

They all end up like pringles.

Yeah but that sound the money makes when they put it in your hand

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Fixing foils is the best change to the physical card they could possibly make

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Eliminating foils counts as fixing foils.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

All foils are trash.

I have multiple player collections of left over foils from pre-modern era and they're all one giant C now. And they look like poo poo, and always looked like poo poo, and hearing people pine for lovely first gen foils is loving surreal.

I should throw them away but part of me wonders if they're like those Transformers made in the 90s where they disintegrate while in a sealed container.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

All foils are trash.

I have multiple player collections of left over foils from pre-modern era and they're all one giant C now. And they look like poo poo, and always looked like poo poo, and hearing people pine for lovely first gen foils is loving surreal.

I should throw them away but part of me wonders if they're like those Transformers made in the 90s where they disintegrate while in a sealed container.

Dude you're doing some weird poo poo of old border foils are curling anywhere close to a pack fresh current set foil does after a single day out. I live in a fuckin' swamp and my old foils that I opened are fine but if I get a new foil that somehow isn't bent out of the pack and don't immediately sleeve it and put it in a zip up binder stuffed with silica packets the thing is curled.

then again all foils should be illegal in tournaments so it doesn't really matter

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Magic should be illegal and anyone caught playing it should be executed.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Nah, old foils are just as bad as new ones with regard to curling.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spiderdrake posted:

All foils are trash.

Hard loving agree. The old foils look like loving trash

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Old foils are the only way to get 7th edition art, old frame, black border, which is a uniquely good combination for some cards.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

As someone getting back into magic after 10-15 years, the very first thing I noticed was how much the cards have gone up in quality. For example, my Sanitarium Skeleton foil is cool, he's got a single shiny foil eye peering out of his skull. In contrast, my oldest foils just have a shiny border and a shiny star at the bottom, but the art itself isn't even shiny? I feel like the oldest foils were never very exciting, even back when they were new.

It helps that the general art quality sure has gone up over the years. The newer cards even feel better to touch, though perhaps that is just because they are new. Having spell names in bold font is probably one of the best changes they made.

I like the border changes, for the most part. The old multicolor borders were kinda ugly. I miss the brown artifact borders though. Artifacts with brown borders were a bit more distinctive than they are now.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jabor posted:

Old foils are the only way to get 7th edition art, old frame, black border, which is a uniquely good combination for some cards.

Legit question, what's the card where the 7E art is the best version

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JerryLee posted:

Birds of Paradise.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JerryLee posted:

I was going to say Howling Mine but it wasn't the art I was thinking of

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Jabor posted:

Birds of Paradise.

Fair. I'm fond of the Alpha art but I won't say that preferring the 7E art is a Bad Opinion (and of course getting the ABU art with black borders is probably not cheap).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Speaking of BoP, has anyone else ever wondered if it was supposed to get reprinted in Amonkhet block, only to be repurposed into a different creature after the artwork was commissioned?

River Hoopoe just looks like it should've been Birds of Paradise.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

Birds of Paradise.

Goblin Matron of course

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Birds is the only one I personally went out of my way to get (alas non-foil copies, because 7e foil birds is literally legacy-dual-land price), but skimming the list there's also Boomerang, City of Brass, Engineered Plague, and Rampant Growth as reasonably playable cards where the 7e art is arguably the best.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Spiderdrake posted:

All foils are trash.

I would be happy to take a lot of these off your hands if you don't want them, I think the old border foils are vastly superior to the new ones.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Silhouette posted:

Speaking of BoP, has anyone else ever wondered if it was supposed to get reprinted in Amonkhet block, only to be repurposed into a different creature after the artwork was commissioned?

River Hoopoe just looks like it should've been Birds of Paradise.

That seems unlikely, because the hoopoe is an actual bird, and that's very clearly a hoopoe:

A bird-of-paradise, for comparison:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Also printing Birds of Paradise in Hour of Devastation, when the peaceful oasis of Amonkhet has been revealed to be (even more of) a dystopian nightmare, would be a rather silly turn of events.

More to the point, they were almost certainly planning on bringing Llanowar Elves back on Dominaria for quite a while, and prior to that they were focused on making more interesting 2-cost mana dorks, like Channeler Initiate.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dryad Arbor, but with a Plains as the illustration. C'mon Wizards, go deep on some promos.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ItBreathes posted:

Dryad Arbor, but with a Plains as the illustration. C'mon Wizards, go deep on some promos.

We'll call it Wald.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Goblin Matron of course

Preferring 7E Goblin Matron, on the other hand, is a Bad Opinion.

Not because the art is inherently bad, mind you, but rather because it's a card for which DiTerlizzi art exists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ungulateman posted:

Also printing Birds of Paradise in Hour of Devastation, when the peaceful oasis of Amonkhet has been revealed to be (even more of) a dystopian nightmare, would be a rather silly turn of events.

excuse me, you got a problem with nicol bolas?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JerryLee posted:

Preferring 7E Goblin Matron, on the other hand, is a Bad Opinion.

Not because the art is inherently bad, mind you, but rather because it's a card for which DiTerlizzi art exists.

Yes, unlike my Dryad Arbor opinon, that was a joke. 7th edition Matron is clown trash. I'm trying to get my 4th copy of cool DiTerlizzi Matron for my Goblins deck.

And as a person with a foil cube, I've never had any problem taking care of foils in a Florida-like climate. I use only a couple old border foils (because some of those are expensive as gently caress) but the only ones that look worse are the Zendikar masterpieces (besides the Amonkhet disasters.) I would really like some of the art on those without foiling.

They did masterpieces 3 times and 2 of those times they look like poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Balon posted:

So that recent survey asked an interesting question: if you could get any 5 (non RL) cards reprinted what would you choose?

I know we’ll have a few people say Oubliette, but I personally feel Rhystic Study is far overdue a reprint.

gently caress Rhystic Study. It's bad.

Objectively correct answers:
Scroll Rack
Carpet of Flowers
Imperial Seal
Food Chain
Stasis

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

They did masterpieces 3 times and 2 of those times they look like poo poo.

The Kaladesh Inventions are masterpieces. The Zendikar Expeditions were so blindingly obviously awesome if the loving textbox was transparent with white text so you could see the art and they hosed it up, and it makes no sense because in sets before and after BFZ they had game day promos with transparent text boxes that look great, so who knows how they hosed it up that badly. The Amonkhet Invocations were intentionally designed to be horrible to give an excuse to kill masterpieces.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ItBreathes posted:

Reprint Drudge Skeleton Swamps.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I cant wait for them to update the creatures to the new types

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The non changeling mistform ultimus creature with the most types is seton's scout with four types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JerryLee posted:

Wrath of God.