Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

KazigluBey posted:

the Space Station 13 school of headdress-design/surgery

the robutt from that story is indeed immortalized in the game, if you didn't know. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
so what is an evil universe? what are the micro achievements, just the same as regular?

i swear to god the devs of evolve exist solely to torment me

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm going to spoil everything for you, get ready:

Evil Universe everyone except Celestials gain the Evil trait. Celestials are now playable but Demons are not. Hellscape is now Eden and a planet of plenty. Military campaign loot get a boost by a dumb formula based on Dark Energy, and Soul Gems also get a bit of a boost.

Micro achievements are just normal achievements, it's a universe that's more fleshed out than the other special ones (holy gently caress is Vigilante dumb for Evil).

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm going to spoil everything for you, get ready:

Evil Universe everyone except Celestials gain the Evil trait. Celestials are now playable but Demons are not. Hellscape is now Eden and a planet of plenty. Military campaign loot get a boost by a dumb formula based on Dark Energy, and Soul Gems also get a bit of a boost.

Micro achievements are just normal achievements, it's a universe that's more fleshed out than the other special ones (holy gently caress is Vigilante dumb for Evil).

They don't even feel like spoilers, it's just basic information I'd like to know before I commit to an entire run and potentially gently caress with my previous race bonuses

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Help!

i just bought the world in Evolve and now everything is sooooooooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooow......

I wanted more phage, but i think my turtle friends are feeling suicide coming on strong

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i gave up on evolve when i reached a technology roadblock that im pretty sure required either the dyson net or the stellar engine to be completed, but i didnt know which one, and guessing wrong would mean multiple days of wasted effort due to how slow adamantite mining is

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone fiddle with this yet?

http://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

i gave up on evolve when i reached a technology roadblock that im pretty sure required either the dyson net or the stellar engine to be completed, but i didnt know which one, and guessing wrong would mean multiple days of wasted effort due to how slow adamantite mining is

Well, it's sort of both? Dyson Net gives you a ton of power once completed so you can comfortably run a bunch of interstellar/Hell buildings without feeling constrained. Stellar Engine, on the other hand, is the eventual method to universe prestige (and you would have to sit around for another couple days throwing in exotic matter, anyway).

EDIT: Also checked out the link above mine and obstinately refused to Apprentice myself the moment you could (because gently caress you, I'm not Harry Potter). Turns out it is a But Thou Must because the game doesn't open up much more until that.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 25, 2019

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I'm doing genetic disaster since my antid bonus fell off and boy howdy is it an appropriate label

I don't really feel like there's something I'm supposed to be doing in the game though? All the challenge and achievement stuff is starting to lose me

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Achievements, pretty much. I'm aiming to acquire the Fanaticism + Anthropology perk before bouncing, to see how that goes polynomial.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Seems fun, but I'm stuck at 95 research at the Falconer/Herbalist fork that needs 100, with two maxed skills and maxed scrolls, so I don't see how to proceed?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Some furniture increase max research or max scrolls.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 25, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seems fun, but I'm stuck at 95 research at the Falconer/Herbalist fork that needs 100, with two maxed skills and maxed scrolls, so I don't see how to proceed?

Did you buy the satchel that lets you carry 15 more scrolls or the magic circle furniture?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cinara posted:

Some furniture increase max research or max scrolls.
The correct answer was "the button to move houses under the Home tab, then buy furniture", yeah.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

So eventually you're going to be blocked by some hefty gold purchases. FORTUNATELY, you can get some Creeping Vines as furniture which increments your :420: count. So to finance your Cottage you're going to be selling large quantities of :catdrugs:

Making potions, you say? HA! That takes an actual Wizard.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I dunno if it'll bite me in the rear end in the long term due to the permanent hit to max research but the passive stamina increase from Occult Endurance is ridiculous.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I maxed that out ASAP and it's been fine so far. I am currently progressing towards some... less than good magic, we will see how that turns out!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Not even 10 posts on the new idle game and it already seems like everyone is making up poo poo

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
How do I get enough poo poo to become an acolyte is feels like it's forever away. I went gathering btw.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Lore builds Arcana with the option of Languages to speed up that process. It's honestly just fiddling around with your options and levelling skills to open upgrades or hitting certain item breakpoints (Scrolls eventually let you bind into Codexes).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You can eventually repeatedly increase your max research by eating books, which will be automatically written for you by ghosts, so don't worry too much about losing max research.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just unlocked the prestige and I still haven't found a "potsource" to make potions with.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

I just unlocked the prestige and I still haven't found a "potsource" to make potions with.

Buy a Brazier for your house and you should unlock the Cooking Pot and Cauldron, both of which are potsources.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lol if you're some kind of fruitcake wizard farting about with birds and cooking instead of endlessly performing card tricks while mainlining ghosts.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

five creeping vines here, a bit of alchemy there, endless mana potions all day long to zoom through learning skills

edit: one notable exception so far, herbalism. for that one it's huffing stamina potions to manually pick herbs to make more stamina potions, etc. better rate than mana potions/focus

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 25, 2019

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I like the crazy amount of choices you have in how you approach the game, at least at the start. But I hate how powerful mana and Focus is, it makes any sort of idle play feel pointless in comparison.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I can't tell for certain, but I have a suspicion that virtue and evil gain aren't exclusive.
"Rob people by night, treat their magical wounds by day and get paid for your trouble both times? Sure thing!"

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 25, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao this is all made up, it has to be

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

listening to spirit whispers to write a book on understanding spirit whispers,
spending mana to get more mana,
just up and going to live in a cave and study rocks + shadow magic
summon minions and have no idea how to use them
try to adventure and get scared fighting a rock with high health, only to come back and realize its just a rock and cant hurt you
skip on wizard-apprenticeship fees and get a head start on necromancy

i'm not entirely sure what this game is, but there are a lot of things to poke and see what happens

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I sold my bed because now I rent myself out to townspeople instead of sleeping.

I agree that there's not enough to do idle-wise with mana.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Could really use an autocast and a way to sort spells by type instead of element. Buffs/Combat Buffs/Summons/Attacks/Etc; especially later on.
Haven't even unlocked the fire/water/light branches and there's still too dang many to juggle.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I let myself Pace for hours at a time (because the real person playing this game needed to sleep) and now I'm profoundly Arcane.

I sold my bed and a bunch of bookshelves because my House didn't have enough room for the Cairn I wanted to become an even better Spirit Diviner.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Holy poo poo how in the gently caress am I supposed to get 700 max research to become A True Magician(tm)?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Stuff your home with Bookshelves and Bookcases; study the stars, the languages and the lore; and have the spirits whisper in your ear while you're endlessly scribing scrolls and binding them into codexes (and maybe even compile some tomes while you're at it).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

Stuff your home with Bookshelves and Bookcases; study the stars, the languages and the lore; and have the spirits whisper in your ear while you're endlessly scribing scrolls and binding them into codexes (and maybe even compile some tomes while you're at it).

Ughhhh. The constant need to re-design your house is probably the most annoying thing about this game.

Also when the gently caress do I get to automate scroll production?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kyrosiris posted:

Ughhhh. The constant need to re-design your house is probably the most annoying thing about this game.

Also when the gently caress do I get to automate scroll production?

When you get a ghost writer! I'm not kidding.

So I've been tinkering with this for a bit and stalling before going to T1 to see what I can find to unlock and so far the classes I've found are: Prestige/Magician, Craft/Witchcraft, Arcane Trickster, Elementalist, and Oracle. Running out of things to research now though I'm pretty sure I'm still missing one or two.

Also the Temple (house) has 200 floor space, and -shadow

E: Also for stamina: Research water asap for fount/minor fount (spells). 0.8 stamina per second combined.
E2: For skill points: Whisper(spell) in the spirit branch gives .001 skill points per second while active. Keep it going forever

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 25, 2019

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

If all else fails in the search for space, getting rid of furniture that only raises skill caps can be safely removed once those new skill caps are reached; you won't lose any levels in the process.

Re classes: S'also Dark Magician, which might require offing the master, or might just require being evil in general. Did both and it worked out.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I think you can still get onto that track if you buy enough Rusty Cages for your home.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You can eventually repeatedly increase your max research by eating books, which will be automatically written for you by ghosts, so don't worry too much about losing max research.

This comment is peak this thread and has me hooked on this game before even starting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Shadowstar posted:

This comment is peak this thread and has me hooked on this game before even starting it.

The best part of this is that you can become more efficient at eating books.