Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Not the Mama!!!

Edit: gently caress, what a shameful page snipe.

Phone posting, someone pay the tax for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Fun fact, the guy's eyes in that costume were around mouth level, and he had Earl develop a constant sigh for the purposes of being able to see where he was going

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Charlz Guybon posted:

Not the Mama!!!

Gotcha.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Talk about turning a blind eye

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Charlz Guybon posted:

Not the Mama!!!

I gotcha...

Baby Iguanadon

:ughh:

Fake edit... drat

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1176803346977570816

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

nine-gear crow posted:

Yep. This is Fox's crucible. This is the moment it was created for specifically. If Trump is successfully impeached or resigns in the midst of impeachment, then it has failed the mission it was put on this earth to accomplish and 40 years of Roger Ailes' life and effort meant absolutely nothing.

Can't wait :munch:

It's just so hard to spin 'the president used 550 million dollars of foreign aid as a bribe for sabotaging his opponent. He and his lawyer have already admitted to it and apparently there are tapes and transcripts.'

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's just so hard to spin 'the president used 550 million dollars of foreign aid as a bribe for sabotaging his opponent. He and his lawyer have already admitted to it and apparently there are tapes and transcripts.'

Not hard to spin. Just don't say any of that and talk about how Biden is corrupt. Their viewers don't have other sources of information.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grouchio posted:

Senator Claghorn from the Fred Allen Show, specifically :goonsay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6-JddDUnyY

This is illuminating, but I don’t hear the AH SAY, AH SAY type tic in it. All the other stuff is there, but not what I consider the most signature Foghorn Leghorn-ism.

This interests me because a guy I know talks exactly like that (starts a sentence, interrupts himself halfway through a word, goes AH SAY and re-says the word) and he’s not remotely southern. I’ve never been able to figure out how to ask him where/how he picked it up

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The count on the NYTimes site is up to 204.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

mdemone posted:

Not hard to spin. Just don't say any of that and talk about how Biden is corrupt. Their viewers don't have other sources of information.

A lot of the power of RWM is that it gives you premade arguments to use against the liberals in your life at work or at home or wherever and a narrative that doesn't give that really risks losing people or letting some daylight in. In this case, there's no real way to refute it without acknowledging in pretty plain terms what happened.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mdemone posted:

Well, it works for Fox, so I guess if your intent is to keep the chuds corralled, then sure--this is effective spin.

It doesn't work for anything else, however.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

what happened with the house vote last night?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I feel like some Dems in the House should play clips like this in the congress to troll the GOP

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1176469306944757760

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Well, it works for Fox, so I guess if your intent is to keep the chuds corralled, then sure--this is effective spin.

It doesn't work for anything else, however.

Today every single american work place, barbershop, bar, etc. will probably talk about the impeachment getting started. I feel like that requires something better than just burying their heads in the sand as a messaging strategy

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Today every single american work place, barbershop, bar, etc. will probably talk about the impeachment getting started. I feel like that requires something better than just burying their heads in the sand as a messaging strategy

Well I didn't say it was a good strategy. But it's the only one they grok.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part of the frantic Monday night tweet storm retweeting anything and everything from Fox News was the claim tucked into one of the tweets that it is in fact the Democrats that are scrambling.

Yes, tell me more.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Trump has, inadvertently, written the storyline fairly clearly through his tweets and his public statements. He has admitted to putting pressure on Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden. He has copped to withholding military aid. We know these two things happened; the only thing we do not have conclusive proof of is that they were connected. That's what the whistleblower will clear up, no matter how many times Trump screams about his lawyer once working for the Clintons.

The problem, for the Trump loyalists, is that unlike the Russia story, the Ukraine story is extremely cut-and-dried. It's very hard to spin.

pacerhimself posted:

My favorite part of the frantic Monday night tweet storm retweeting anything and everything from Fox News was the claim tucked into one of the tweets that it is in fact the Democrats that are scrambling.

Yes, tell me more.

It's called projection; the GOP practices it a lot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I love is that the instant it became clear the Mueller Report was a wet fart he said “indestructible” like Mr. Burns and picked up the phone to do exactly the same thing again.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They were built on the assumption that the criminal would be somewhat competent, instead they elected Trump.

In awe of the stupidity of this lad. Absolute Moron.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176819645699043328?s=19

The Democrats are frozen and can do nothing, and also the horrible Things they are constantly doing must be stopped!!!!

Today's edition of :umberto:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It's called projection; the GOP practices it a lot.

"They do it even worse than us!" has been the GOP's main form of defense for decades now. And like many others things the media is complicit.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So I actually read the article and watched the video because I'm like 90% sure my dad did / will, and I wanna be able to rebut that poo poo.

So.
In the video, Biden brags about dickwaving the Ukranians into firing the prosecutor or else he'll get back on a plane and they won't get $1 billion in aid. So that's hosed up, and I don't think that's how the world should work - but as right wingers argue, that's how the world does work. (This will likely be a decent point to throw back at anyone making these arguments in your life, it staggers them a bit.)
So gently caress that, it's dumb and dirty politics but it's not out of the norm.

But this all then only fits into the right-wing narrative if you conveniently ignore the facts that the prosecutor
A: had shelved the investigation like 6 months earlier (right?), and
B: was deemed to be crooked by our intelligence community and needed to be replaced (i guess? Haven't done a ton more reading so if someone can tell me exactly how we came to the "he needs to be replaced" determination I'd much appreciate it),

Pretty much:
https://www.rferl.org/amp/why-was-ukraine-top-prosecutor-fired-viktor-shokin/30181445.html?__twitter_impression=true

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176819645699043328?s=19

The Democrats are frozen and can do nothing, and also the horrible Things they are constantly doing must be stopped!!!!

Today's edition of :umberto:

Lincoln and Kennedy got worse treatment.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Taerkar posted:

"They do it even worse than us!" has been the GOP's main form of defense for decades now. And like many others things the media is complicit.

I honestly believe that decades of using that as a defense has left the the GOP full of people who don't know that it is a bullshit cover story. They really think the Democrats constantly get away with much worse so they don't bother to hide what they are doing and are shocked when they get caught.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Lincoln and Kennedy got worse treatment.

I think McKinley may have had it worse. Not only did he get assassinated, but only people from Buffalo remember.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I honestly believe that decades of using that as a defense has left the the GOP full of people who don't know that it is a bullshit cover story. They really think the Democrats constantly get away with much worse so they don't bother to hide what they are doing and are shocked when they get caught.

That's what happens when you spend a hundred years huffing your own farts--you forget what fresh air smells like.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I do not get why would Trump release whistleblowers report if it is bad to him. If the whitehouse was trying to block it last week because it was credible and serious, why release it today.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OddObserver posted:

I think McKinley may have had it worse. Not only did he get assassinated, but only people from Buffalo remember.

Don't forget Garfield

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I do not get why would Trump release whistleblowers report if it is bad to him. If the whitehouse was trying to block it last week because it was credible and serious, why release it today.

Good question. The optimist in me would like to say it's because they realized how much legal hot water they'd be in if they didn't, but the realist knows better.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why does he do anything? He constantly owns himself but republicans don’t care.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If the transcript doesn’t have weird Trump mannerisms I’m going to assume it’s edited in some way

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Has there been a time set for the transcript and complaint releases?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

To get ahead of the story, as it's 100% coming out either way

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Some main thoughts on this:

1) Trump broke one of the cardinal rules of doing crimes, 'don't break the law in any way that the average person will understand.' The Ukraine poo poo can be summed up clearly in a ten word sentence and is visibly, ridiculously unethical. On top of that, the coverup was illegal and, worse still, utterly ineffectual. As far as committing crimes and getting away with them goes, those are both cardinal sins.

Reminder that whatever the specifics were, they were so bad that a Trump appointee filed the highest level of whistleblower complaint possible and the DNI and the assistant DNI resigned over it. Word in the senate right now is probably that you don't want to end up on the wrong side of this wildly incompetent and politically toxic coverup

This is from a bit back but I think you're right about this. I also think because this is so easily understandable, that now people will start to get what the Mueller Report was about and that if he is guilty / guilty looking with this Ukraine business then the average person will get that he definitely did the same with Russia.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

To get ahead of the story, as it's 100% coming out either way

Makes sense

Also Rudy is doing well

https://twitter.com/TheContemptor/status/1176697564424482816

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
I accidentally closed a bunch of tabs but one of them had something about how the timeline with the Biden + Ukraine situation, as the Republicans are presenting it, doesn't even match up. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so what is it and is it credible?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

OddObserver posted:

Hey now.

Musical theatre nerds do too.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Whitlam posted:

Hey now.

Musical theatre nerds do too.

I’m sure there are history buffs out there as well but hey, Everybody’s got the right to be happy :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Strange Poon posted:

I accidentally closed a bunch of tabs but one of them had something about how the timeline with the Biden + Ukraine situation, as the Republicans are presenting it, doesn't even match up. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so what is it and is it credible?

https://www.rferl.org/amp/why-was-ukraine-top-prosecutor-fired-viktor-shokin/30181445.html?__twitter_impression=true

It's from one of the better Western journalists that cover Ukraine (and who has covered the country for 5+ years ---- some of the recent stores are from people who haven't so are really clueless about sources).