Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
US law gets harder to avoid the more money they make.

The actual owners of IP can sue, but actual damages has to do with how much money they lost due to the plaintiff's actions. If the people running the server are barely breaking even, it makes that case harder.

It gets harder to understand with regards to Abandonware, but it they turned a one million dollar profit tomorrow, a cease and desist would immediately show up.

Disclaimer: not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure that is how the case would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

There's also the potential issue that if you buy Influence with money, then Influence technically has value and could be considered taxable income. Same thing applies to like getting a car as a gift; you technically have to pay taxes on the value of the car.

There's no guarantee that this would actually be an issue, but it could be and it's better to avoid that can of worms

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

They don't even accept donations past a specific set goal each month to cover server operating costs, I don't think they're going to be monetizing anything.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Sea Lily posted:

They don't even accept donations past a specific set goal each month to cover server operating costs, I don't think they're going to be monetizing anything.

Which, I think, is damned fantastic.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sea Lily posted:

...and there are so many people donating that they need to set a donation window. It gets filled within hours.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Gynovore posted:

...and there are so many people donating that they need to set a donation window. It gets filled within hours.

Actually the Aug 31st donation got filled within 7 minutes.

People were getting mad that they would just do it randomly and they weren't able to donate, so now they post about it first, and it fills relatively instantly.

e: i was wrong, to quote GM Widower
"The official time for this month's donations is 3 minutes and 47.78 seconds. People like City of Heroes, apparently."

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/9464-september-2019-donations-finances/?do=findComment&comment=84305

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 24, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

From a technical standpoint, I don't know what a partnership with NCSoft could bring to the table, unless I'm missing something.

We are getting new classes, power tweaks and all that. I guess they can't make anything new wholecloth, right?

Given what a mess the codebase was, I dunno what they'd gain from having NC dump the prime build/tools on them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also why not the most obvious reason to not offer inf for real money: It would totally gently caress up the in-game economy and piss everyone off?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Given what a mess the codebase was, I dunno what they'd gain from having NC dump the prime build/tools on them.

Nothing, because they already have said tools.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Poo

quote:

@everyone Hello!

Today we've issued an update to our Code of Conduct. The key change is that we are no longer allowing characters that use copyrighted materials owned by other companies. This is the same as it was during the retail life of the game - we don't want to draw the ire of Marvel, DC, or other gigantic entities and unnecessarily put Homecoming at risk.

Characters using copyrighted materials will have their name and/or costume reset. You will then be able to select a new name and create a new costume the next time you log in.

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

This just popped up on homecoming discord:

Homecoming posted:

Hello!

Today we've issued an update to our Code of Conduct. The key change is that we are no longer allowing characters that use copyrighted materials owned by other companies. This is the same as it was during the retail life of the game - we don't want to draw the ire of Marvel, DC, or other gigantic entities and unnecessarily put Homecoming at risk.

Characters using copyrighted materials will have their name and/or costume reset. You will then be able to select a new name and create a new costume the next time you log in.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10725-code-of-conduct-update-september-25th-2019/

e:fb

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope my Jack Donaghy cosplay character survives :ohdear:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

They better not have touched Vegeta Weedlord 420.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i swear to god if they ban Handsome Piccolo

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I JUST rolled Cyloque

actually the policy when the game was up, iirc, was that if you could establish the character as a parody by changing it somehow, then it was fine. hopefully these guys get that, or at least they don't recognize Venture 2099 as a Spider-Man 2099 villain and I can keep him

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Ive had a Ruby Rose character from 2004 or 2005 and its my main on Homecoming. I really hope I dont get hit over this from that drat anime RWBY. THAT drat thing is years younger than my character.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Is there a goon villain SG I can join on the homecoming server Indomitable?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
welp there goes 90% of my characters

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Aww rats. I had an Architect arc on the old servers that got delisted because it had characters called "hobgoblins." I was all excited that I'd get to remake it in Homecoming. *kicks rock*

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
i'm actually very upset, this loving sucks rear end

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm legitimately curious if this has to do with the NCSoft stuff. Like, if they weren't planning on going "legit," some players functionally using the character creator to make fanart would be the least of their concerns, I'd imagine. If Marvel or DC aren't coming down on fan artists on Twitter and Tumblr and poo poo, why would they care about players some relatively small private server for a dead MMO? Nobody's making money off their characters or anything like that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Knightsoul posted:

Is there a goon villain SG I can join on the homecoming server Indomitable?

no but you should join the channel goonsquad. /chanjoin goonsquad iirc

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Harrow posted:

I'm legitimately curious if this has to do with the NCSoft stuff. Like, if they weren't planning on going "legit," some players functionally using the character creator to make fanart would be the least of their concerns, I'd imagine. If Marvel or DC aren't coming down on fan artists on Twitter and Tumblr and poo poo, why would they care about players some relatively small private server for a dead MMO? Nobody's making money off their characters or anything like that.

Probably just taking care of a future headache

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

I think when you're in a fairly precarious legal position as it is, you want to take the proper precautions and not tempt fate.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

i.e. the only break one law at a time rule.

If you've got your car doors stuffed full of Mary J, check that your lights work and don't break the speed limit.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Mirage posted:

Aww rats. I had an Architect arc on the old servers that got delisted because it had characters called "hobgoblins." I was all excited that I'd get to remake it in Homecoming. *kicks rock*

Maybe I'm ignorant as to the existence of a comic character by that name, but hobgoblin is a long established term from medieval folklore just like troll, orc, and goblin. That should have been fine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hes a...maybe major is too strong a word, but hes been a spidey foe for like 25 years

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

tooterfish posted:

i.e. the only break one law at a time rule.

If you've got your car doors stuffed full of Mary J, check that your lights work and don't break the speed limit.

For a moment I thought "Did... did they fridge Peter's girlfriend in a way I was unaware of? :ohdear: "

I grew up with hippies, I should instinctively recognize weed names.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

site posted:

hes a...maybe major is too strong a word, but hes been a spidey foe for like 25 years

I knew about Green Goblin, but Hobgoblin is news to me. Still, as long as they didn't look like the Marvel version, I can't see how they'd have a case against it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's what irks me about this policy. The term "hobgoblin" has existed in folklore for a very long time, but because it gets applied to a moderately-known comic book character, now it's off-limits. Hypothetically. Depending on GM judgment. So who knows.

And that's without getting into situations like Thor.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The original version of the policy was an overly stringent, blanket ban on that stuff to the point where the architect had all sorts of dumb stuff you weren't allowed to put in your arcs if it was too Marvel. But that filter is gone and I doubt Homecoming is going to reinstate it.

My hope is that since Homecoming is a comparatively smaller operation, with fellow players behind the scenes and such, that they'll be a lot more evenhanded about enforcing it. They know there's a difference between knock-off characters and stuff that simply shares the same language.

People always get really nervous when stuff like this comes around but 99% of the characters getting generic'd are guaranteed to be the endless xXtEhWolferine420Xx types.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah I would hope if somebody made Thor Odinson as a warhammer / elec armor guy with a generic viking outfit and no references to being in the Avengers or beating up the Wrecking Crew they wouldn't try to nail him with a "no Marvel characters" ban. That character would even be pretty thematically appropriate for the CoH world!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dareon posted:

For a moment I thought "Did... did they fridge Peter's girlfriend in a way I was unaware of? :ohdear: "

I grew up with hippies, I should instinctively recognize weed names.
In the words of my favourite superhero... you're dark, and I kinda like it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm going to miss ThiccThor. Not even my character, I just grouped with him a few days ago. All he wanted to do was sneak around, but he's dummy thicc and the clap of his asscheeks kept altering the nazi guards and getting our team wiped.

John Murdoch posted:

The original version of the policy was an overly stringent, blanket ban on that stuff to the point where the architect had all sorts of dumb stuff you weren't allowed to put in your arcs if it was too Marvel. But that filter is gone and I doubt Homecoming is going to reinstate it.

My hope is that since Homecoming is a comparatively smaller operation, with fellow players behind the scenes and such, that they'll be a lot more evenhanded about enforcing it. They know there's a difference between knock-off characters and stuff that simply shares the same language.

People always get really nervous when stuff like this comes around but 99% of the characters getting generic'd are guaranteed to be the endless xXtEhWolferine420Xx types.

Don't fool yourself. These people are paranoid as hell and now they want a paycheck. This is a recipe for a bunch of dumb bullshit nobody wants.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Don't fool yourself. These people are paranoid as hell and now they want a paycheck. This is a recipe for a bunch of dumb bullshit nobody wants.

:confused:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i wonder if they are going through every character name manually or something because i just checked and none of my marvel characters have been hit yet. or maybe they just arent big enough names to warrant it

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It's also entirely possible that they made the announcement and did some quick bans so that if Marvel/DC comes knocking in the future, they can point to it and say "We tried, the users are just too sneaky!", and have no real plans to continue to enforce this stuff.

Copyright law is a lot of shadow theater. It's is less about ACTUALLY keeping anyone from using your stuff ever, and more about being able to say that you tried to protect it so nobody can claim you abandoned it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I skimmed the announcement thread and they've already made it clear it'll work largely the same as it did on live: You need to be actually reported to the GMs for anyone to pay attention. They're neither automating things nor manually looking through each and every character that exists. What they are doing is establishing a system to help GMs avoid giving conflicting opinions on the same character.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 26, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh lol okay. all of my marvel characters are women so i doubt most of the playerbase will even know they are real characters to report em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

site posted:

oh lol okay. all of my marvel characters are women so i doubt most of the playerbase will even know they are real characters to report em

"She-Hulk? What's next? a girl Wolverine?!"