Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Doc Hawkins posted:

that we're all so familiar with the fuckups of greek gods and not anything about them that might seem to merit veneration is in part due to christian propaganda, so who's got the last laugh now :catholic:

Nah, that was the attitude of Greeks at the time, too. The Greek gods were forces of nature. They were something you respected and feared, but also tried to avoid. Just look at their myths: being loved by the gods never ended well. Sometimes it was even worse than being despised by the gods. Your best hope was to just never be noticed by them. The only god who was actually chill was Hermes and that’s why he still has cults that persist to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's not like we can't just read what the ancients thought of their gods. Guess what - they thought they were jerks!

Which is why they worshiped them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's not like we can't just read what the ancients thought of their gods. Guess what - they thought they were jerks!

priests of zeus insisted zeus was wise and powerful, worthy of supplication and respect, it was a whole thing, the ancients wrote about that too

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I realize that I'm doing the goon thing of latching onto some tiny nugget of trivia that contradicts common knowledge, shoehorning it into discussions, and defending it incessantly, so how about I don't do that. You all have the right idea, I'm not an expert, down with gods in general, etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

priests of zeus insisted zeus was wise and powerful, worthy of supplication and respect, it was a whole thing, the ancients wrote about that too

It's literally how they made a living. How all priests make a living: selling their god.

Also a good way to not get zapped by a god you think is a real jerk.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kit Walker posted:

Nah, that was the attitude of Greeks at the time, too. The Greek gods were forces of nature. They were something you respected and feared, but also tried to avoid. Just look at their myths: being loved by the gods never ended well. Sometimes it was even worse than being despised by the gods. Your best hope was to just never be noticed by them. The only god who was actually chill was Hermes and that’s why he still has cults that persist to this day

Greek mythology has a real poo poo afterlife. Everyone but superheroes gets Hades.

Easy to see why people went to the say "Jesus is Christ" get 69 virgins.

Even though no sane person wants to gently caress a virgin.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Even though no sane person wants to gently caress a virgin.

So you're a virgin then?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Paladinus posted:

So you're a virgin then?

Wish we could say the same about your cats.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ferrule posted:

Wish we could say the same about your cats.

My only cat died a virgin. So, heh, you just implied that you hosed my dead cat.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Paladinus posted:

My only cat died a virgin. So, heh, you just implied that you hosed my dead cat.

Well it had the harness so duh.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Deteriorata posted:

Eric, the half a bell

lol @ this, well done

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Paladinus posted:

So you're a virgin then?

And drat proud.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

And drat proud.

Lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This thread is going places.

Not good places, but places nonetheless.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Is there a level beyond galaxy brain?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Coq au Nandos posted:

Is there a level beyond galaxy brain?

yeah its called libertarian brain but it stack overflows and winds up being mathematically the dumbest brain of all

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm three pages late to the dark lyrics to nice music discussion, but please listen to The Dreamer by Amigo The Devil to hear the most beautiful love song written from the perspective of a stalker.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

zoux posted:

#32 cannot believe this play

I laughed at 'Patriots Release Brown'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Eschenique posted:

I mean what's the share of practicing Christians these days?

People will accept the label of Christian with the understanding that no form of commitment will ever be asked of them.

When Australia first started taking a census long long ago the percentage of the population who identified as Christian was somewhere up above 95%. At the most recent census that had dropped to 52.5% (22.6% Catholic, 13.3% Anglican, 16.3% Other Christian) and if the recent trends are any indication it should drop below 50% sometime soon and it will no longer be accurate to call this a Christian country, or refer to Christians as a "silent majority" or any kind of majority at all.

And all the evangelical Christians in this country are aware of that and they are scared and angry and playing the victim card as hard as they can and doing everything in their power to stop the laws getting any more progressive in regards to LGBTQ+ and women's rights (and failing!) and they're going batshit crazy like some kind of cornered rat and it's glorious. :v:

(It's be a lot more glorious if our current PM wasn't a batshit insane evangelical "prosperity gospel" fucker)

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(It's be a lot more glorious if our current PM wasn't a batshit insane evangelical "prosperity gospel" fucker)

gently caress I thought this was the schadenfreude thread for a second :smith:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When Australia first started taking a census long long ago the percentage of the population who identified as Christian was somewhere up above 95%. At the most recent census that had dropped to 52.5% (22.6% Catholic, 13.3% Anglican, 16.3% Other Christian) and if the recent trends are any indication it should drop below 50% sometime soon and it will no longer be accurate to call this a Christian country, or refer to Christians as a "silent majority" or any kind of majority at all.

And all the evangelical Christians in this country are aware of that and they are scared and angry and playing the victim card as hard as they can and doing everything in their power to stop the laws getting any more progressive in regards to LGBTQ+ and women's rights (and failing!) and they're going batshit crazy like some kind of cornered rat and it's glorious. :v:

I don't know how I feel about Christians perceiving themselves as a persecuted minority.

In the US, Muslims identify as Patriots who are grateful for their religious freedom.

Christians just use the gradual chipping away at the numbers as an excuse to shoot up a supermarket.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mcdonalds a short walk from the Piazza San Pietro and St. Peters Basilica.

Let me get uhhhhhhhhhhh borgo

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mcdonalds a short walk from the Piazza San Pietro and St. Peters Basilica.

Side note to this: I've been to that McDonalds, and this is what you see when you walk in for breakfast:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://youtu.be/u6FG3fog0hM

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Zipperelli. posted:

Side note to this: I've been to that McDonalds, and this is what you see when you walk in for breakfast:

Hell yeah, McArons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Somebody toucha my big mac

Me, logging in:

zoux has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Sep 25, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zipperelli. posted:

all hail capitalism

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Man made God in his own image.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NightPromoting/status/1176986253394423813?s=19

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Paul Reubens is cool af though so what’s the problem?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

https://twitter.com/jinpayn/status/1176989117667655680

:laugh:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Makes sense. His favorite song is Beat It.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
PeeWee - "Cowboy Curtis, the secret word of the day is N..."
Cowboy Curtis - "NO PeeWee! You still can't say it, even if you're in the club."

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Doctor Zero posted:

Makes sense. His favorite song is Beat It.

Dang, that's an old school line

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

PeeWee - "Cowboy Curtis, the secret word of the day is N..."
Cowboy Curtis - "NO PeeWee! You still can't say it, even if you're in the club."

LOL. Looking back on how far we've come in this hell dimension...I can't believe people got so upset about PeeWee jacking it in what's basically the most appropriate jackin' it location.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

LOL. Looking back on how far we've come in this hell dimension...I can't believe people got so upset about PeeWee jacking it in what's basically the most appropriate jackin' it location.

I’ve never seen one of those theaters in real life, but, what ELSE are they supposed to be for?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Quiet reflection.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
To stay out of the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

freeedr posted:

I’ve never seen one of those theaters in real life, but, what ELSE are they supposed to be for?

I worked at one for a couple months and it's illegal to allow. We didn't care, obviously, but if the cops came in they could cause some poo poo.

And we were able to exploit some legal loophole that allowed us to keep VICE out.