Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, everyone should listen to the Electability and Pundit Brain episode’s of Citations Needed. I think we all need the understanding that “electability” is bullshit.

Pellisworth, I’m honestly a bit confused by your stance because I think the Chapo’s have explained their feelings articulately over the last month or so of why Warren is a problem. I agree with them and I’m someone who post-2016 called Warren’s DC and MA offices once a week to have her run. (I stopped around the end of 2017.) I didn’t think Bernie would, so she would be the next closest thing. I even donated to her campaign once a few months ago, but I wouldn’t do any of that now.

She’s made it clear she’s willing to start in a compromise position, a la Obama, and she’ll get nuked. It’s come up on Chapo but if you’re going to compromise, then you should start from the position you want most. Not what you think will work, because what works now is bullshit neoliberal policy that appeals to Republicans.

EDIT: do you agree or relate to any of the stuff people are telling you here? I know some of it’s pretty snarky but I think they’re bringing up good points. The fact that only Bernie can stand alone on M4A and say “everyone is covered,” puts him football fields ahead of everyone else in this race.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

MadJackal posted:

The weirdest thing about Chapo-Sanders supporters is the insistence that somehow every single Democratic candidate other than Bernie will magically be worse than the Trump.

At best Sanders has stayed as stagnant as Biden while Warren has gone from 5% to 20%. For all the talk about how Bernie's policies are more popular than Marvel movies, it hasn't translated to polling numbers while Warren running an incredibly similar script has actually gained supporters.

I'll be voting for Bernie in the NY primaries. But I haven't seen how he can win the primary with zero growth.

weeks ago we literally saw pollsters admit that they throw out numbers they don't like to get ones they do. polls are rigged and fake and you should stop being such a moron lol

also listen to the trillbillies' newest episode for a good take on warren

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

weeks ago we literally saw pollsters admit that they throw out numbers they don't like to get ones they do. polls are rigged and fake and you should stop being such a moron lol

not just any pollster, it was john anzalone the guy in charge of internal polling for the biden campaign

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theres no reason to support her over bernie but i think warren would have an ok shot at the general jsut because hillary almost won while running maybe the worst campaign of all time

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Farm Frenzy posted:

theres no reason to support her over bernie but i think warren would have an ok shot at the general jsut because hillary almost won while running maybe the worst campaign of all time

I would think similarly except that the Republicans have been spending the last few years really cranking up their voter-suppression stuff. :sigh:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Farm Frenzy posted:

Yeah, I'm not convinced she would automatically lose to Trump. But from the very beginning of her campaign she's talked about Medicare for All as an eventual goal and that we should have private insurers match the quality and cost of Medicare in the meantime, somehow. Ady Barkan, who had pointed questions for everyone who has been evasive on Medicare for All, also pressed Warren on this. Her slogan is about her plans, and her healthcare plan makes no mention of "single payer," makes no mention of cost-sharing (whether or not there will be premiums, copays, deductibles), and it seems to carve out mental health as the domain of private insurance.

Healthcare is probably the single biggest domestic issue, and all this prevarication is a major red flag. We've seen this movie before with Obama. Bernie is the only choice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Farm Frenzy posted:

Nah, Trump's gonna get a much stronger turnout this time. A bunch of chuds stayed home in 2016 because everyone knew it was her turn. They're all showing up this time.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

Nah, Trump's gonna get a much stronger turnout this time. A bunch of chuds stayed home in 2016 because everyone knew it was her turn. They're all showing up this time.

every chud on earth came out to vote against clinton. trump topped bush's turnout record from 2004 by nearly a million people and got like 2-3 million more votes than either romney or mccain

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Muppets On PCP posted:

every chud on earth came out to vote against clinton. trump topped bush's turnout record from 2004 by nearly a million people and got like 2-3 million more votes than either romney or mccain

2004 was after the Iraq invasion and lol @ Romney and McCain, but we'll see I guess. I think we should approach the election with an expectation of the worst possible case and prepare for that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MadJackal posted:

At best Sanders has stayed as stagnant as Biden while Warren has gone from 5% to 20%. For all the talk about how Bernie's policies are more popular than Marvel movies

if americans actually voted based on what policies polling shows they prefer we'd have been a social democracy ages ago.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah trump maxed out what a gop candidate could get in an election at this point (though he got a lower share of the vote than romney).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 25, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Primary polling is garbage thanks to low turnouts. I wouldn’t put much stock in it, especially this far out.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The Rod Dreher stuff is pure gold.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Primary polling is garbage thanks to low turnouts. I wouldn’t put much stock in it, especially this far out.

at this point in 2007 obama was behind clinton 16 points and had been stagnant (and would slightly drop in october). for the gop mccain was in third - nearly 8 points behind fred thompson and nearly 13 points behind rudy.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Serf posted:

“Polling isn’t real” I assure myself as I close my eyes and plow my lovely campaign into a third place finish in Iowa.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groovelord Neato posted:

at this point in 2007 obama was behind clinton 16 points and had been stagnant (and would slightly drop in october). for the gop mccain was in third - nearly 8 points behind fred thompson and nearly 13 points behind rudy.
Sanders’ biggest advantage, IMO, is that he has an army of volunteers he can turn to with GOTV that Biden or Warren would kill for.

Also the whole enthusiasm thing that nobody has for Biden

Serf
May 5, 2011

MadJackal posted:

“Polling isn’t real” I assure myself as I close my eyes and plow my lovely campaign into a third place finish in Iowa.

lmao shut the gently caress up liberal

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MadJackal posted:

d&d is a few subforums up, Nate

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MadJackal posted:

I mean, the chapos literally talked just this week about how sanders' core base is a traditionally unpolled coalition of youths and first time/lapsed voters so, yea?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

2004 was after the Iraq invasion and lol @ Romney and McCain, but we'll see I guess. I think we should approach the election with an expectation of the worst possible case and prepare for that.

exactly, bush was at the height of his popularity and actually did a ton of work boosting turnout especially with hispanic outreach. trump has near-universal approval among conservatives and still only got about a million more votes a decade later. meanwhile the average age of republican voters has gone up a lot faster than the overall electorate. something like 60% of them were over 50 in 2016

the 62-63 million mark is probably the ceiling for republican turnout or close enough to it. i'd agree that barring a major recession trump probably won't see a huge dropoff in turnout next year, but i don't think there'll be an increase

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pellisworth posted:

also for what it's worth I would vote for Bernie in the primary over Warren though it won't matter because I live in South Dakota. my objection is with Chapo's hatred for Warren when I perceive her to not be that much different from Sanders. she's okay, she's fine, she's sure as hell a lot better than Biden or Harris
Like Harris, Warren walks back her leftist policies when she meets with donors. She publicized that she doesn't take PAC money, but has already announced that she will in the general. She was a Republican until she was in her late forties "because [she] thought that those were the people who best supported markets." When asked about it, she claimed she "never thought much about the political end." As a loving Harvard Law professor! In her forties!

I understand that a lot of affluent educated liberals prefer Warren to Sanders because they, like Warren, are essentially conservatives who realize that the system needs some mild reform. But as someone who says they're for Bernie, I'm just baffled that you can think Warren is anything other than a fake, dishonest substitute for Sanders, put forth by the donor class.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Stringent posted:

I think we should approach the election with an expectation of the worst possible case and prepare for that.

Biden/Kamala ticket wins with Republican supermajority in both chambers

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lmao wrong thread

Nothus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 25, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Stringent posted:

I don't think so. I think he'll get the same rich white chuds he got last time, and his working-class base will decline somewhat.

Stringent posted:

I think we should approach the election with an expectation of the worst possible case and prepare for that.
I've already decided I'm not voting for anyone but Sanders, especially since the electoral college makes my vote meaningless anyway. If we keep eating poo poo, they will keep making GBS threads in our mouths.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

So then why should I vote for Bernie over Warren, if stated policy positions don't matter?

he wasn't a republican until 1996 and doesn't have that massive blood test debacle hanging over his head

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he wasn't a republican until 1996 and doesn't have that massive blood test debacle hanging over his head

Plus, it would kick so much rear end having almost-Larry David as the president. :allears:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i will say Warren is significantly better than any other non-Bernie candidate in the field but she's significantly worse than Bernie himself.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

MadJackal posted:

Stop posting. kill yourself

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1176875845711011841
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1176879813300228096

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'd fund a separate Patreon forcing Matt to watch the View and provide continual commentary.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MadJackal posted:

Donald Trump is president

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chexoid posted:

Will introducing a game he really loves on the newest Left Trigger is very pure and adorable.

smh at Will saying they didn't do a remake of the first one

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Well I guess it was inevitable that they would decide that Warren is now Hillary Clinton 2.0 but also a Manchurian candidate reactionary. Neat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Where's the lie

THS
Sep 15, 2017

supporting warren is looking back on all the mistakes hillary supporters made in 2016 and deciding to copy it. even if warren is not some exact clone of clinton, it’s like poetry, it rhymes

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao she's literally sucking up to democrat power figures with hand-written notes

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Weird but true Bernie has never hand written a note

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

TheLoquid posted:

Well I guess it was inevitable that they would decide that Warren is now Hillary Clinton 2.0 but also a Manchurian candidate reactionary. Neat.

Hillary Clinton 1.0 was a Manchurian candidate reactionary.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

MadJackal posted:

Hillary won the polls and lost the election you loving dumbshit lmao

Serf
May 5, 2011

TheLoquid posted:

Weird but true Bernie has never hand written a note

bernie doesn't know how to read or write

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is today international carry water for warren for no real reason day or something?