Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

STAC Goat posted:

But its a travesty that Julian Slink didn't become a horror icon.

Syfy missed an opportunity there.

I re-watched some the early episodes of Blood Drive and they were so fun. Then the sister plot happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The latest season of Terrace House is the first I've watched and it's a credit to the producers that they could pick people who are compelling enough to structure a show around.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

The latest season of Terrace House is the first I've watched and it's a credit to the producers that they could pick people who are compelling enough to structure a show around.

Go back and watch the earlier seasons (except maybe Aloha State). Such good reality TV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

wormil posted:

Syfy missed an opportunity there.
Yep. They should have just made him like a Friday/Saturday night Midnight Movie host or something like that. I would have ended up watching a lot of really bad SyFy original movies if Slink was entertaining me through them.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just watched 6 of the episodes of Marianne on Netflix and it's pretty spooky. I have to wait for my girlfriend to get back before I finish it up but I'm definitely into it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Does SyFy actually own Blood Drive? If not, they might not have had the option to do anything with Slink.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mu Zeta posted:

Gannicus is so Australian. I knew he was Australian before he even said a word. The other actors at least pretend to do consistent accents.

Does it really matter? Not like Romans actually spoke with British accents.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Every actor uses their own accent, some might stage it up a bit, but there are bulk kiwi accents in there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I actually like it and it kind of makes sense within the narrative of the show since Gannicus is so independent and doesn't give a gently caress about anyone else in the beginning. He's always been an outsider.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does SyFy actually own Blood Drive? If not, they might not have had the option to do anything with Slink.

Probably don't but it's a dead property so I'm sure whoever would be glad to license or sell the character for a few bucks.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Just wait a few more episodes...pretty sure you'll get rehooked by the time you meet Maneo. :kheldragar:

Well the next episode had about 1000% more belter than the previous 6 combined, some pretty good David Strathairn to make up for the lack of Jared Harris and one of those tangential vignette's that ended in a holy gently caress moment so I'm definitely back onboard.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what they're reconstructed of Latin pronunciation, they're pretty sure Vs were pronounced like Ws and Cs were always hard Cs, meaning Julius Caesar would have said "weni widi wici" and Cerberus would have been pronounced "CareBearUs." Any attempt to have actors speak English with a theoretically correct Roman accent would be hillarible.

(The Passion of the Christ actually got the pronunciation right, so I, an atheist who was taking Latin and wanted to see it spoken onscreen, went to see it with my Evangelical Christian friend and her church group. That was a weird afternoon.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speaking of language authenticity, I absolutely love that Narcos has proper Spanish speakers mixed with the English. And I think Marco Polo really suffered from being in English, although the show overall was just meh.

Vikings is in English.

Any good recommendations for period pieces in foreign languages?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of language authenticity, I absolutely love that Narcos has proper Spanish speakers mixed with the English. And I think Marco Polo really suffered from being in English, although the show overall was just meh.

Vikings is in English.

Any good recommendations for period pieces in foreign languages?

Kingdom! It's about zombies though, but the medieval Korean setting is pretty cool. It has politics and intrigue and drama, so it still might classify as a period piece. And it is, of course, entirely in Korean.

e: there's a series called Versailles that runs on TV here but I can't attest to it's quality since I've only caught bits of it, but it seems well produced and has French actors for the mainly French cast, might be worth checking out.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 23, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

Kingdom! It's about zombies though, but the medieval Korean setting is pretty cool. It has politics and intrigue and drama, so it still might classify as a period piece. And it is, of course, entirely in Korean.
I wonder when the second season is going to come out?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Deutschland 83 is in German.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

mystes posted:

I wonder when the second season is going to come out?

They started filming right away after the first season dropped in January 2019 so my guess is early 2020.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Das Boot is in Cherman

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Deutschland 83 is in German.

seconded, is well worth watching

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

seconded, is well worth watching
so is the sequel Deutschland 86

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Happy to report the second half of The Expanse S3 was a massive improvement over the first. Looking forward to 4 now.

Browsing Amazon to see what to watch next and I decided to give The Patriot a go and about ten minutes in (folk song in Amsterdam) it's like yeah, sold, I'm in.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gravy Jones posted:

Happy to report the second half of The Expanse S3 was a massive improvement over the first. Looking forward to 4 now.

Browsing Amazon to see what to watch next and I decided to give The Patriot a go and about ten minutes in (folk song in Amsterdam) it's like yeah, sold, I'm in.

Patriot is absolutely fantastic, you've made a solid choice.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I know I am late to the train, but Fleabag S2 was outstanding, it took all the stuff I liked about S1 and amped it up, while adding some additional heart and soul.

Definitely in my top 5 for the year, and deserving of the Emmy IMO.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I am halfway through season 2 of Dark and hot drat, I'm not really sure what is actually going on here but it's loving incredible. Definitely the best time travel show/movie I've seen, and one of the best sci-fi shows in general I've seen.

I watched three episodes, realized I kept losing track of who the hell everyone was and how they were all related, and made myself a massive chart with five family trees spanning four generations. I HIGHLY recommend doing this. There are a lot of loving characters on this show - the IMDB cast list has 111 people on it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

showbiz_liz posted:

I am halfway through season 2 of Dark and hot drat, I'm not really sure what is actually going on here but it's loving incredible. Definitely the best time travel show/movie I've seen, and one of the best sci-fi shows in general I've seen.

I watched three episodes, realized I kept losing track of who the hell everyone was and how they were all related, and made myself a massive chart with five family trees spanning four generations. I HIGHLY recommend doing this. There are a lot of loving characters on this show - the IMDB cast list has 111 people on it.

scan that chart and post it! because I sure as gently caress need it

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Yea post that chart, I am lazy but also pretty dumb

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

scan that chart and post it! because I sure as gently caress need it

Here you go!

This version is what I made after three episodes, and it includes spoilers up to that point (because I also added brief notes about who everyone is). I printed it out and have been adding to it on paper as the show progresses - lots more members of these families show up later on. Since I made it in Excel, it doesn't have the lines connecting parents to their children (as opposed to their childrens' spouses) - I added those lines after printing it out - but you'll know that info if you watch the show.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
niiiice. thank you!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Happy to help! When I got to the end of ep 3, where they do that montage with a splitscreen of everyones' faces in the past and present, I realized I had utterly failed to pick up on half of that information. So I found non-spoilery episode summaries for those initial episodes and based this chart on that. More than a dozen eps later I'm still referring to it/annotating it multiple times per episode.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That chart...

I'm whelmed.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I soured on Dark as it got to the end of season 2. Spoilers for the season: it felt like it was doing the Lost thing of twist after twist for no reason. Sure, what the gently caress, Charlotte is her own grandma, Magnus helps lead the cult because why not, the new federal officer just happens to be the brother of the man Alexander killed because that plot needs to keep going for some reason. It feels less like it’s planned out and more like it’s just twists to heighten tension. And sidelining Charlotte for most of the season sucked - she was one of my favorite characters in season 1 and she certainly could’ve had a bigger role.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Prairie Bus posted:

, Magnus helps lead the cult because why not,

Well, that one makes sense because Middle-Aged Jonas, Magnus, Franziska, and Bartosz time travel together at the end, so it makes sense that they'd still be together.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Blitzed through Harper's Island, that's some grade A horror-soap garbage. Most of t had me cackling but I gotta give it up, there were a few characters I ended up caring a lot about.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

nerdman42 posted:

Blitzed through Harper's Island, that's some grade A horror-soap garbage. Most of t had me cackling but I gotta give it up, there were a few characters I ended up caring a lot about.

It really was very entertaining. How did you come about it since it's been years since it originally aired.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I googled "thrilling mystery shows" on a whim and grabbed the DVDs at the library. I think Amazon Prime has it though too.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just watched 6 of the episodes of Marianne on Netflix and it's pretty spooky. I have to wait for my girlfriend to get back before I finish it up but I'm definitely into it.

I just finished Marianne, I said before it kinda reminds me of House in Haunting Hill but more friends drama instead of family drama. The show is definitely pretty spooky, the last episode was disappointing in that aspect as it wasn't that scary and the ending was kinda weird since they tried to portrait it as a good thing? Not sure why they would happy music over those scenes. Really weird choice of music, not sure what they were thinking. But I was 100% expecting the classic ambiguous horror ending of "maybe there is still something out there". Definitely worth a watch though especially with Halloween around the corner. I feel like if this came out closer to Halloween it would have received a lot more attention.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
S2 of Mr Inbetween has been excellent. I loved the scene where he's explaining the birds and bees to his daughter and she screws up her face and says, "I came from your balls?!" And he just sort of nods and says, yeah.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wormil posted:

S2 of Mr Inbetween has been excellent. I loved the scene where he's explaining the birds and bees to his daughter and she screws up her face and says, "I came from your balls?!" And he just sort of nods and says, yeah.

"Couple of dimmies please love."

Can't count how many times i've said that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pennyworth's finale was brilliant. I can't get over how well done this show was, even down to the main character having a 60's Michael Caine accent.

Third best DC show for my money and seems me criminally under appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Started Dark, I think a lot of people were talking about it here a while back. I am at the last episode of the first season. I am enjoying it quite a bit even though there are some massive plot holes as there are always with time travel based fiction. It's a unique way to do this type of fiction and there is some good German dry humor in this.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 1, 2019