Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's easy to not do anything when you're the most popular version of the niche you fill.

Everyone that's tried to compete died before they made a dent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just noticed a small drawback with the new animated lyrics view- it chews up your battery like nobody's business.

Who knew moving a bunch of lines of text was so resource intensive?

Or maybe it's just -my- battery, it's at 85% capacity..

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Any regular 11 case recommendations? I am used to the Apple leather cases so needs to be pretty thin, button feel should be pretty clicky. I like those and the old Pixe fabric cases.

Have tried:
Spigen Ultra hybrid - too thick, good button press feel
Smartish Kung fu grip - still too thick, not as good button press, kinda meh on side grip texture
Apple Clear case - terrible feel, terrible button feel, egregiously priced
This Mofi fabric case that someone posted previously - slim enough and sides feel good, good button feel, but the fabric leaves something to be desired and there’s a scratchy seam between the fabric and side TPU on the back that’s annoying.

I am considering the super thin Totallee and Peel cases but they might be too thin and not enough protection. I am a super rare phone dropper and the leather case has done enough for me but those look like basically nothing.

Really want to go caseless but I am a big pansy and want to trade this in next year.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Binary Badger posted:

Just noticed a small drawback with the new animated lyrics view- it chews up your battery like nobody's business.

Who knew moving a bunch of lines of text was so resource intensive?

Or maybe it's just -my- battery, it's at 85% capacity..

Probably your battery - mine is 85% as well and I have to charge it multiple times per day. I don't know how Apple comes up with the % but there is no way an '85%' phone lasts for 85% as long as it did when it was new.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

85% is getting pretty close to useless FYI

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I grabbed the Spigen liquid crystal; thin, narrow, shows off the color while still providing full raise-ivity.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I figured out the low mail and alert sounds today finally. I got a call while my phone said full volume and my phone was in my breast pocket and I baaaaarely heard it.

Went into sounds and I am not sure if this is a new setting or just the first time in 10 years of upgrading its ever been “off” but my ringers and alerts sound slider was at 40%. There’s a toggle under it that says “change with buttons” and it was off.

So, “the more you know...”

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Cozmosis posted:

Any regular 11 case recommendations?

Try the Spigen Liquid Air series. Thin, and I’ve used that series since the 5s and It’s survived drops from my lap To the street when I exit my car. Usually excellent cutouts and smooth finish around the ports, too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I picked up an insignia ultra thin case from Best Buy. Obviously not enough time yet to see how it endures, but it keeps the mint green nice and visible and protects from scratches and little stuff. Plus it’s cheaper than the peel cases.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

dissss posted:

Probably your battery - mine is 85% as well and I have to charge it multiple times per day. I don't know how Apple comes up with the % but there is no way an '85%' phone lasts for 85% as long as it did when it was new.

I believe the % is the calculated capacity / design capacity, which is a proxy for the health of the battery but doesn't tell the whole story. It's a chemical reaction going on in there, and being 15% off can mean absolutely massive things for the way it behaves. For example, why iPhones were shutting down early and the need for the low-health downclock - degraded batteries could no longer provide the burst power needed to power a loaded, full-frequency SoC. Overload and shut down. So the battery may technically have 85% of its capacity left, but you wouldn't be able to realize that capacity unless you deep-discharged it at a trickle. It's true, as far as the mathematical modelling goes, that the battery has that capacity left ... but its window of useful life as a cell phone battery is short.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

dissss posted:

Yeah mine is at 87% and it's pretty useless. I'm just going to get a battery replacement from Apple.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

11 pro battery is really nuts. Pretty heavy usage all day and it’s still at 45% going to bed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is it possible to ask for help identifying an ipod accessory in this thread? Or is there an ipod thread in general?

I got one of the first types of ipod nano's back in...I wanna say like 2006 or 2007 maybe earlier, and bought this case along with it. The original nano I got still works fine and I use it daily, and I've replaced the velcro armband on the holster half a dozen times, but the holster itself is finally rapidly disintegrating from so much use and washing. Would folks here maybe, on the off chance, know the brand this is, or maybe even the exact holster? I'd love to get a replacement if any still even exist, I got over a decade of use out of this thing. Thanks for any help!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Activation servers hosed or something? Mother in laws new phone arrived tonight and it’s just hanging. Do iOS updates still require reactivation?

Edit:
Lol skipping setup and it can’t even snag the 13.1 update. This seems like a “try again tomorrow” deal.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 25, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Speaking of battery, just how much of a battery drain is permanently sharing my location on Find My? Going on a trip with friends and thinking of using it, but not if I’ll end up going through a full charge super fast.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Speaking of battery, just how much of a battery drain is permanently sharing my location on Find My? Going on a trip with friends and thinking of using it, but not if I’ll end up going through a full charge super fast.

You won’t even notice it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

MarcusSA posted:

You won’t even notice it.
Awesome thanks!

We still doing pet portrait pics in here?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 25, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just an update, my message notifications not going off started happening again this morning when I got to work and I deactivated iMessage on my Macbook and that fixed the issue. Unfortunately I prefer to use my Mac to respond to texts throughout the day so that'll have to stop for the time being. Anyone ever heard of an issue with this? I've been working with a Mac and iPhone for almost 4 years and this is the first time I've had an issue.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome thanks!

We still doing pet portrait pics in here?

Sure why not!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

My battery health is at 81%. I’m gonna run this poo poo into the ground.

It works fine except for last winter when the cold likely interfered with its ability; it’d shut itself down pretty frequently while I was walkin the dog. Solution: carry a battery pack and charge it while walking the dog. Easy!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I hope there's a "Remember Night Mode setting" toggle down the pipeline, because feeding a 1-second exposure into the iPhone 11 will look entirely better than a snap 100% of the time. You don't even have to be that still.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Camera is good. iPhone 11 Pro is good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's a good dog right there.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I’m looking at moving up from an iPhone 7 to an 11 or possibly stretching to an 11Pro. My biggest worry is that I have small hands and the newer phones all look enormous. How has it been for those of you with smaller hands and using the newer larger phones?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Falco posted:

I’m looking at moving up from an iPhone 7 to an 11 or possibly stretching to an 11Pro. My biggest worry is that I have small hands and the newer phones all look enormous. How has it been for those of you with smaller hands and using the newer larger phones?

This was my concern too, but luckily I'm blessed with two of them.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Falco posted:

I mean, the 11 Pro isn't THAT much bigger than the 7. But the 11 is.

I have big hands and my jump from an 8 to an 11, while I love it, has taken some getting used to with the size.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

iSimian posted:

This was my concern too, but luckily I'm blessed with two of them.

One-handed operation is a valid criticism. I drop my SE waaaaay less than my 6s plus. The plus was undeniably a better experience in just about every way that doesn’t involve having to use it one-handed. Personally I hate using a phone two-handed when I’m walking so it’s an important thing to think about.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don’t have a dog, but I do have twins. Portrait mode rules for babies as well.

e: sorry, I am XS Max scum, not 11

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 25, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don’t have a dog

You should fix this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You should fix this.

I agree completely, however, there is quite enough chaos in my household already at this point in time. I will rectify that sooner or later.

e: have a pic of a good dog that we dogsit regularly

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 25, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I mean, the 11 Pro isn't THAT much bigger than the 7. But the 11 is.

I have big hands and my jump from an 8 to an 11, while I love it, has taken some getting used to with the size.

Worth noting that the Pro and Plus series phones are roughly the same size. Obviously not exact, but there's virtually no difference.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I agree completely, however, there is quite enough chaos in my household already at this point in time. I will rectify that sooner or later.

The dog will probably solve it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It was annoying at first, but I'm starting to like the way you have to drag to "unstick" apps from the homescreen now. Makes it feel more tactile.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What a bunch of happy good dogs.

I wish I could pet them.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there a "cheat" way to make Siri take longer to pop up or something? Specifically when using the side button.

I go to lock my phone because I'm about to join a meeting or something and hear, "Sorry, I didn't get that. Could you try again? *behbeep*". Then I have to whip my phone out and swipe or lock my phone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DNK posted:

My battery health is at 81%. I’m gonna run this poo poo into the ground.

It works fine except for last winter when the cold likely interfered with its ability; it’d shut itself down pretty frequently while I was walkin the dog. Solution: carry a battery pack and charge it while walking the dog. Easy!

It might not be far off at that point. Mine poo poo itself and went from 84 to like 65 in a couple months and at that point it was dying randomly anywhere under 50.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Imagine getting an iPhone 11 if you don't have dogs to photograph.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Anyone noticing cut outs with their 1st gen AirPods and iPhone 11 pro?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
New to iPhone, forgive my ignorance.

Can I add downloaded music to my phone?

Can I use said music for a ringtone?

Can I download torrents?

Can this phone be jailbroken yet?

Thanks all😊

Edit : also how can I stop my phone automatically adjusting the brightness?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yes (via iTunes :lol:)

Kinda maybe (again, via iTunes except I think they got rid of this. You need to convert the song/tune to .m4r)

There's various torrent clients with web apps you can access to download/manange torrents so.... kinda.

Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's literally no reason to jailbreak phones anymore. It's an incredibly bad idea for security reasons anyway.