Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

STR posted:

I mean it's basically the SA version of this..

So the UID that link references.. was actually a real account/phone number at the telco I worked at, and the trainer always had us look it up in training. What the trainer didn't know is EVERY TIME a tech pulls up an account, even for 2 seconds, the customer gets an email asking them to rate their experience with tech support. So that customer would get bombarded with dozens of emails a day every time there was a new group of suckers tech support agents.

(this was Frontier, so it was 1 stars all the way down anyway, but still)

this is my new favorite story, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dr. Memory posted:

Lordymama it's got popups. I'm in love.

Wrong thread

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Uh, driving a Northstar is basically the end of times.

Fair. L-whatever the hell the FWD LSx was, then.
fake edit: that VVV

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Somehow, you managed to misspell LS4.

I did, in a moment of weakness.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing out crap engines. The 307 is of course another one but didn't really know much about the 260.

The 260 was an oddball. Still an Olds V8, but with tiny bores to get the dinky displacement. The 307 was just the 350 Olds with smaller bore as well, but not *as* small as the 260.
Wikipedia claims the 260 was almost as economical as the 3.8 Buick, but smoother and more durable. The biggest plus it had was that the 5-speed was available behind it in some models. I almost scored an '80 (I think it was) Cutlass with 260/5-speed somewhere in the '90s, but it was already gone by the time I spotted it in the Auto Trader.
The biggest failings of the 260 and 307 wasn't really the engines themselves, but that they were created solely for low-power emissions laden uses, and thus were low-compression mildly-cammed milquetoast engines. And the 260 was used in the malaise-era A-bodies, mostly, which were notably heavy. Did not leave a good impression.
The 307 at least got a high-output version in the Hurst/Olds and 442 (180 HP,) the 200-4R overdrive automatic rather than the TH200 3-speed, and was in the lighter G-bodies (and also B-bodies, though.) Also roller lifters, forgot about those.

xzzy posted:

If I had that car I would get '6000SUX' for the license plate.

I like you. I like the Quicksilver, but I get that, totally.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Someone mentioned Trabants.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dr. Memory posted:

Lordymama it's got popups. I'm in love.

:allears: I love this. I usually don't like a lot of chrome on cars, but man that front end looks cool. I would daily this with pride. Cyberpunk supervillian car indeed.

xzzy posted:

lol

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TotalLossBrain posted:

Someone mentioned Trabants.

Wrong thread.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Right thread at that price.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nah 13 euros 20 cents is about right.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Darchangel posted:

The 260 was an oddball. Still an Olds V8, but with tiny bores to get the dinky displacement. The 307 was just the 350 Olds with smaller bore as well, but not *as* small as the 260.
Wikipedia claims the 260 was almost as economical as the 3.8 Buick, but smoother and more durable. The biggest plus it had was that the 5-speed was available behind it in some models. I almost scored an '80 (I think it was) Cutlass with 260/5-speed somewhere in the '90s, but it was already gone by the time I spotted it in the Auto Trader.
The biggest failings of the 260 and 307 wasn't really the engines themselves, but that they were created solely for low-power emissions laden uses, and thus were low-compression mildly-cammed milquetoast engines. And the 260 was used in the malaise-era A-bodies, mostly, which were notably heavy. Did not leave a good impression.
The 307 at least got a high-output version in the Hurst/Olds and 442 (180 HP,) the 200-4R overdrive automatic rather than the TH200 3-speed, and was in the lighter G-bodies (and also B-bodies, though.) Also roller lifters, forgot about those.

Also, GM was throwing 307s in every Cadillac that wasn't a transverse-FWD box back in the 80s. I wasn't lucky enough to get the "VIN 9" high-output 307 in the '88 Brougham I briefly had -- just the lo-po 140 HP version. It had all the performance of a soft fart, even after a tune-up and a rebuilt carb. It was the only car that I couldn't get at least a one-wheel peel out of.

At the same time I had a '90 Town Car with the 150 HP 5.0 V8, which felt downright athletic compared to the 307. And yes, fuel injected vs. carbed. But still....

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

For most of us old fucks the 307 will reign supreme as the ultimate disaster. Well behind, the Olds 350 diesel, or the Vega where the intake would fall off, or the V8-6-4, eh nevermind.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I’ve been visiting Cars in Barns recently and despite the site looking like it hasn’t been updated since 1996 I find it fascinating and also sort of infuriating. I can’t believe around the turn of the century there were all of these Superbirds, Challengers, early C3 Vettes, etc. just sitting around. Also in one of the posts some guy bought a ‘Cuda for like $500.00 which seems insane to me now.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I don’t get why you would leave a desirable car outside to rot, unless you lived in an extremely arid climate. Either put it away or sell the drat thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, yes, the 307 was definitely disappointing, but so was most everything of the era, thanks to the manufacturers loving around and scrambling last minute to meet emissions requirements that they knew were coming. Thankfully, that forced them into fuel injection and better engine design, eventually bringing about some really good to great performance while still having decent economy. Only took, what, 30 years?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Frond posted:

I don’t get why you would leave a desirable car outside to rot, unless you lived in an extremely arid climate. Either put it away or sell the drat thing.

"I'm gonna work on it someday."

A day that never comes.

Also, a deep-down fear of someone else profiting from your inaction.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Man I wish cargolaw.com hadn’t quit updating

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Frond posted:

I’ve been visiting Cars in Barns recently and despite the site looking like it hasn’t been updated since 1996 I find it fascinating and also sort of infuriating. I can’t believe around the turn of the century there were all of these Superbirds, Challengers, early C3 Vettes, etc. just sitting around. Also in one of the posts some guy bought a ‘Cuda for like $500.00 which seems insane to me now.

When gas got expensive, and everyone was concerned about mileage, and emissions, and started a family, the '70s musclecars fall out of favor. No one could afford gas for them, and those that could wanted something else. There wasn't an internet to hype interest where there was none, and there you go. At one time, they were ubiquitous, and the greater populace never really thought they'd be something of value in the future.
It's easy to see in retrospect, but it happens all the time. I mean, once upon a time, a '55 Chevy coupe was just another 20-year-old car, and there were lots of them, right? Look how many what we now consider classics were mangled in racing, demolition derbies, etc. because they were just "old, common cars" at the time.

EDIT:

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

A day that never comes.

Some of that, too.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

A day that never comes.

Where I live, eventually there would be nothing left.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Darchangel posted:

When gas got expensive, and everyone was concerned about mileage, and emissions, and started a family, the '70s musclecars fall out of favor. No one could afford gas for them, and those that could wanted something else. There wasn't an internet to hype interest where there was none, and there you go. At one time, they were ubiquitous, and the greater populace never really thought they'd be something of value in the future.
It's easy to see in retrospect, but it happens all the time. I mean, once upon a time, a '55 Chevy coupe was just another 20-year-old car, and there were lots of them, right? Look how many what we now consider classics were mangled in racing, demolition derbies, etc. because they were just "old, common cars" at the time.

EDIT:

Some of that, too.

Makes sense. Also it showed me how much better modern car’s (like mid-80s onward) reliability was. Some of the cars on there were parked after less than a decade of use due to serious mechanical problems.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
It's always fun to think of what will be future classics. Some of the cars boomers go crazy for were once just regular rear end family sedans with big motors, the kind of thing nobody gave a single poo poo about when they first came out but remember favorably now.

I can't wait to see people going crazy for mid 90s Accords or something thirty years from now.

Me in 2050: "Holy poo poo a mint condition 1998 Neon R/T! I mean it's no SRT-4 but who can afford one of those anymore?"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

This. A combination of factors.

Different time. And loading on a lot of different factors.

67 Camaro for 3K?

440 Road Runner for 3K at a gas station/service place? That you could walk up to after hours and pop the hood?

'66 Barracuda in green with white interior with the rear console on a used car lot in mint condition.

Yeah, think 1990.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The boys at Grease Monkey went a little high on my friends truck.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Surprised those didn’t blow off the rim tbh

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Surprised those didn’t blow off the rim tbh

Based on the cluster, I'm picturing someone who lied about their experience seeing (80psi max) on the sidewall of a 10 ply tire and taking it as gospel.

I hope he drove over a piece of paper to see how many 16ths of an inch of contact the center of the tread had with the road.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Apparently my friend said just put in what's on the Tire which is 80. I think it's supposed to be 40.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

This. A combination of factors.

Different time. And loading on a lot of different factors.

67 Camaro for 3K?

440 Road Runner for 3K at a gas station/service place? That you could walk up to after hours and pop the hood?

'66 Barracuda in green with white interior with the rear console on a used car lot in mint condition.

Yeah, think 1990.

Yeah, I remember that poo poo. What sucks is that my brain still wants to take those prices as gospel, and freaks out when it sees actual current prices.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Darchangel posted:

EDIT:

Some of that, too.

Yeah, that's basically what my Dad said to me when I was ogling '50s cars as a kid. He remembered when they were new and couldn't fathom why anyone would be interested in them. Now I'm the same way when I see people going nuts about '80s cars. They were poo poo when they were new, I don't get why anyone cares about them now.

We seem to be most fascinated by the cars built in the decade before we were born. I don't really know why.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Deteriorata posted:

We seem to be most fascinated by the cars built in the decade before we were born. I don't really know why.

I think older cars are just one of the many ways we vicariously experience a decade we weren't born in. 1970s cars fascinated me for the same reason, where I couldn't really give a poo poo about most 1980s iron, since I grew up riding around in those cars.

Dave Inc. posted:

I can't wait to see people going crazy for mid early 90s Accords or something thirty years from now.

ftfy

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

StormDrain posted:

The boys at Grease Monkey went a little high on my friends truck.

With that much pressure, those tires are

like a rock. :chord:

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that's basically what my Dad said to me when I was ogling '50s cars as a kid. He remembered when they were new and couldn't fathom why anyone would be interested in them. Now I'm the same way when I see people going nuts about '80s cars. They were poo poo when they were new, I don't get why anyone cares about them now.

That's because 50's cars were and still are cool while cars built in the 80s are literally the worst generation of cars, especially malaise era American ones. The Countach and Testerossa might be the only nice cars built in that decade.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

mustard_tiger posted:

That's because 50's cars were and still are cool while cars built in the 80s are literally the worst generation of cars, especially malaise era American ones. The Countach and Testerossa might be the only nice cars built in that decade.

No Countach or Testarossa, but couldn't help but think of this poster:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

All I'm getting out of that poster is:

"gently caress college, selling cocaine is where the money is!"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I remember that poster, and several other variants.

We like cars from the decade before we were born because that means they are *everywhere* as used, common cars when we were at our most impressionable. It's a nostalgia thing - for a lot of us, they trigger memories of carefree, happy days. That simple.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Being a kid of the 80's I remember people lusting after late 60's and early 70's muscle cars, like seeing a 69 Charger was the poo poo then even. A buddy of mine had a 340 Duster with a manual and we'd do donuts in parking lots, another one had a Cutlass with the 350 rocket, everyone wanted a Mopar or a GM coupe. My aunt had a 440 Challenger and it was a big deal then. Now it's crazy, I can't remember that last time I've seen any of those in the wild.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

All I'm getting out of that poster is:

"gently caress college, selling cocaine is where the money is!"

All i can think is "if they had access to all the cars to get pictures, why didn't they take them at varying angles to account for perspective?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

All i can think is "if they had access to all the cars to get pictures, why didn't they take them at varying angles to account for perspective?

"Why didn't he build a garage deep enough to get his cars all the way in?"

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Darchangel posted:

I remember that poster, and several other variants.

We like cars from the decade before we were born because that means they are *everywhere* as used, common cars when we were at our most impressionable. It's a nostalgia thing - for a lot of us, they trigger memories of carefree, happy days. That simple.

I dunno, I was born in '78 and I always loved the supercars from the late 80's because I thought they looked cool. It was certainly cool that they were the fastest cars around at the time, but they aren't anymore and I don't romanticize them past "those cars still look really cool" because of the exteriors. The interiors are garbage by comparison. They don't even have usb ports!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
80's BMWs are the best ones, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Being a kid of the 80's I remember people lusting after late 60's and early 70's muscle cars, like seeing a 69 Charger was the poo poo then even. A buddy of mine had a 340 Duster with a manual and we'd do donuts in parking lots, another one had a Cutlass with the 350 rocket, everyone wanted a Mopar or a GM coupe. My aunt had a 440 Challenger and it was a big deal then. Now it's crazy, I can't remember that last time I've seen any of those in the wild.

Eh, I view it as complicated. Different strokes for different folks type thing.

Did I lust over a Countach poster or a Testarossa poster? Probably. And a 959. Along with Farrah Fawcett.