Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’m not actually invested in Joel being dead, I just think it’s funny how mad it makes people (also he’s dead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enojy posted:

I haven't really followed the hype -- why does everybody think Joel is dead/dies in TLOU2? The premise of him being a hallucination of Ellie's is a good one, since I'd imagine growing up the way that she did had some significant impact on her mental state. But he's in every trailer innit?? :shrug:

Now that's got me thinking about how much more emotionally draining this game will end up being if it's either "Ellie by herself and hallucinating past loved ones" or "Ellie occasionally joined by loved ones but they die along the way" like the premise of a lone teenage girl versus the entire remaining population is already harrowing enough.

Joel wasn't in like, two of the trailers they showed beforehand and people have absolutely 0 object permanence and assumed that he was dead based on that.

No one decided Tommy was dead despite him not being in the trailers up till not but Joel was definitely in the grave based on not making an appearance.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Donovan Trip posted:

There's a rumor Disney is steamed off right now because Disney doesn't have faith in Brie Larsen carrying Captain Marvel by herself and planned to have Spiderman help carry the trilogy. Disney folks straight up saying Brie just isn't very likeable or whatever and they need a guy to lead the movies gently caress disney lmao.

yeah this was invented whole cloth by some incel social media account that is still screaming about The Last Jedi

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RareAcumen posted:

Joel wasn't in like, two of the trailers they showed beforehand and people have absolutely 0 object permanence and assumed that he was dead based on that.

No one decided Tommy was dead despite him not being in the trailers up till not but Joel was definitely in the grave based on not making an appearance.

Going to be surprised if most the game doesn't end up being you running around/fighting as Ellie with Joel due to his olde age filling in as the assistant character you have to find ladders and floating objects for constantly.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I'm actually a little curious how TLOU2's story ends up. With how popular deliberate misdirection is these days and the way the trailer was cut, I'm thinking they're gonna subvert people's expectations and Ellie's girlfriend doesn't die, but instead becomes the villain or something. It's super cliche, but fitting given how the first game started with Sarah dying in the most telegraphed way possible.

The problem with that theory is that somebody else important to Ellie would then have to die to send her on a rampage and there's no way they'll kill Joel right at the start of the game. So maybe the misdirection is that there is no misdirection, who knows!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ruflux posted:

The problem with that theory is that somebody else important to Ellie would then have to die to send her on a rampage and there's no way they'll kill Joel right at the start of the game. So maybe the misdirection is that there is no misdirection, who knows!

I could see them doing something like with Rost in Horizon where they do it like a solid act into the game instead of the beginning. Or even something where he's still around but injured or otherwise incapacitated so he's not directly with you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Tbh I'd be pretty dissapointed if they didnt have at least a level or two where you play as either one while the other is the companion NPC like in the original.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It's really the reveal trailer's fault. After murderizing a whole house of dudes, apparently by herself, Joel shows up and calmly asks her what she's doing. This doesn't make sense even as a rhetorical question because if they were together he would know what and why she's she's doing it. The whole thing just seems framed that way. The new trailer kind of contradicts him being a hallucination that she's aware of so at the very least he's not dead at the beginning.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

Now now, gamers have object permanence.

However the only objects, plot, characters, and gameplay that they believe exist are the ones that are explicitly in the trailer.

Also see: basing Horizon's quality on a single quest in a gameplay video, worrying furtively if Aeris was going to be in FF7 due to not being in the very first trailer, and immediately believing Joel was dead because the TLOU2 - a game whose focus is entirely on Ellie - didn't have him in it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Please change thread title to Sony PlayStation 4: Ellie, your girlfriend been fridged yo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Please change thread title to Sony PlayStation 4: Ellie, your girlfriend been fridged yo

Yeah I'm worried about this happening to the point where I will be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think the games that use this script are AAA confort food

1:
[scripted talking heads]
[shot from cover gameplay]
[scripted talking heads]
[shot from cover gameplay]
[epic setpiece]
Goto 1

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I actually don't think Ellie's gf is dead, too obvious and the gunshot sound could have easily been added as a misdirect. Instead she'll be captured + separated and TLOU2 will be a journey into the underworld narrative with your spirit guide Joel (who is a ghost).

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Oh yeah also the girlfriend was revealed much later so there was literally nothing people could think of that would get Ellie so worked up besides Joel getting killed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

I actually don't think Ellie's gf is dead, too obvious and the gunshot sound could have easily been added as a misdirect. Instead she'll be captured + separated and TLOU2 will be a journey into the underworld narrative with your spirit guide Joel (who is a ghost).

Ellblade

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah my working theory of "Joel is dead/GF is alive" is based almost entirely on my hypothesizing on what media Druckmann and co. have absorbed in the past decade and what they would consider good storytelling for their stated theme of Hatred

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah my working theory of "Joel is dead/GF is alive" is based almost entirely on my hypothesizing on what media Druckmann and co. have absorbed in the past decade and what they would consider good storytelling for their stated theme of Hatred

Galaxy brain: GF killed Joel

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ellie, Joel, and Ellie's girlfriend are all the same person.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Kraps posted:

It's really the reveal trailer's fault. After murderizing a whole house of dudes, apparently by herself, Joel shows up and calmly asks her what she's doing. This doesn't make sense even as a rhetorical question because if they were together he would know what and why she's she's doing it. The whole thing just seems framed that way. The new trailer kind of contradicts him being a hallucination that she's aware of so at the very least he's not dead at the beginning.

The reveal trailer should be completely ignored, as it was a scene made solely for that trailer, not actually a part of the game. Druckmann tweeted about it at some point but I'm too lazy to go find the relevant tweet right now. If that's what the Joel is dead theory hinges on then I would definitely not put any stock in it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Joel turns into Ellie's girlfriend and it becomes the plot to that Detective Pikachu movie.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

All humans died
The zombies have evolved a new civilization that play videogames that recreate the life of the last survivors
You play has a character in a videogame

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Ruflux posted:

I'm actually a little curious how TLOU2's story ends up. With how popular deliberate misdirection is these days and the way the trailer was cut, I'm thinking they're gonna subvert people's expectations and Ellie's girlfriend doesn't die, but instead becomes the villain or something.

I had that thought as well, but I'm not sure if "girlfriend is actually evil" is much better than "girlfriend dies." Still seems pretty crappy to tease a fridging even if it is a fakeout, though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
At the end of the game, the camera zooms out into space and darkness fills the screen which is eventually revealed to be Joel’s pupil as he stares down the doctors in his final meditation on whether or not to save Ellie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

People are try to set up "called it!" posts later because internet cred is more important than engaging with what the promo material is actually saying

Oh god whatever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

bloodychill posted:

At the end of the game, the camera zooms out into space and darkness fills the screen which is eventually revealed to be Joel’s pupil as he stares down the doctors in his final meditation on whether or not to save Ellie.

At the end of the game, the camera zooms out revealing that the city is in a snowglobe and the entire series' events were the daydreams of a young boy with autism.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Joel is sled

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Oh god whatever.

I thought they kinda hit the nail on the head tbqh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"There's no way Joel is dead" says increasingly nervous gamer for the third cinematic trailer this year.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Joel is neither alive nor dead because he's a fictional character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Serious answer for the guy who asked. Naughty Dog released an announcement trailer for TLOU 2 that invited a lot of speculation due to how it presented Joel. The trailer takes place after a bloody melee, Joel walks in from the sun looking like Jesus, clean and pristine while Ellie is beat up and covered in blood. It doesn’t really appear that he was involved at all. His face isn’t directly shown etc. This lead people to think that Joel is part of Ellie’s imagination in this scene and therefore dead. It’s just speculation based on some really suspect stuff in that trailer. No one knows for sure. But it isn’t baseless. But that is really all there is to it.

For some reason people have a real bug up their rear end about people who didn’t just take the trailer at face value, leading them to make really dumb posts about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The people who are mad that some people think he is dead seem 100% more concerned with proving people wrong than the ones that do hth.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Oh no Ellie's girlfriend was the evil mastermind all along :shobon:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Last of Us Part II is actually a remake of 13 Reasons Why Season 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The way he pops in the new trailer is also consistent with shows like Mr. Robot that have a similar psychological premise, and fact it happens right when she's panicking could be seen as "what do I do - what would Joel do - in this situation?".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In the final scene, right after Ellie kills the fungus queen and ends the plague, Joel will shout "psyche" and turn into a skeleton

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

haveblue posted:

In the final scene, right after Ellie kills the fungus queen and ends the plague, Joel will shout "psyche" and turn into a skeleton

Grimly looking upon her charred remains, Joel somberly remarks, "there must always be a Fungus Queen" as he transforms into a dark but beautiful plague enchantress.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Joel is Ellie's conscience and at the end she shoots herself to kill him and accept her role as the true villian of the series. See you in Part lll.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
It ends with Nathan Drake waking up in bed and telling Elena about his horrible nightmare.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Serious answer for the guy who asked. Naughty Dog released an announcement trailer for TLOU 2 that invited a lot of speculation due to how it presented Joel. The trailer takes place after a bloody melee, Joel walks in from the sun looking like Jesus, clean and pristine while Ellie is beat up and covered in blood. It doesn’t really appear that he was involved at all. His face isn’t directly shown etc. This lead people to think that Joel is part of Ellie’s imagination in this scene and therefore dead. It’s just speculation based on some really suspect stuff in that trailer. No one knows for sure. But it isn’t baseless. But that is really all there is to it.

For some reason people have a real bug up their rear end about people who didn’t just take the trailer at face value, leading them to make really dumb posts about it.

Well see Ellie has survived a series of increasingly improbable scenarios, which means that she clearly is already dead all along, all the facts point towards this.

Hector Delgado posted:

It ends with Nathan Drake waking up in bed and telling Elena about his horrible nightmare.

TLOU is actually another game that the girl at the end of Uncharted 4 is playing, which will be revealed after the game is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Joel actually died in Winter and Ellie is still with David's group.