Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Etrips posted:

Is it worth it to delve into another ecosystem? Since buying our house we have picked up random Dewalt tools for projects. But looking at reviews for Dewalt's impact wrenches are pretty mediocre at best, whereas Milwaukee's has 9 million 5 star reviews.

Sell your DeWalt, buy Milwaukee or Makita. Or stick with DeWalt. I run Makita 18V, but Milwaukee M12. Everyone has their favorites, but any of the major brands are fine. Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt. I'm not a rigid fan, but some people like them. Even Ryobi is pretty good for a homeowner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Not automotive, but my whole fire protection team is outfitted with dewalt impacts, and pretty much nothing can stop them.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have the DCF899HB and I have yet to encounter a fastener it could not remove. If you've in the "20V" DeWalt system it's fine. However, go Milwaukee for the 12v. You cannot beat the selection and they have the power ratchet.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m so stoked Milwaukee is finally doing an M18 router.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

I have the DCF899HB and I have yet to encounter a fastener it could not remove. If you've in the "20V" DeWalt system it's fine. However, go Milwaukee for the 12v. You cannot beat the selection and they have the power ratchet.

And a soldering iron.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

sharkytm posted:

And a soldering iron.

TS100 is the best Milwaukee soldering iron. I just shove spade connectors directly into an m12 or m18 battery.

Smaller and cheaper than the actual red one, and you get digital control

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've got a TS100. It's great for travel but it's too light for tough use. The m12 will stand up on its own, and there's no need for a cord to a battery or power supply. I love my TS100, but it's a different beast.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

sharkytm posted:

I've got a TS100. It's great for travel but it's too light for tough use. The m12 will stand up on its own, and there's no need for a cord to a battery or power supply. I love my TS100, but it's a different beast.

We’ve got different wants in an iron, then. That big chunky thing won’t fly for me, but I’ve thrown an m12 battery in my back pocket and walked around big facilities soldering XLR connectors for entire workdays.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Continuing the impact discussion:
If I have an air compressor, would it be a better bet to purchase an air driven impact wrench or one of the recommended battery ones?
I'm pretty knee deep into ryobi (which is perfectly fine for my around the house type stuff) but I'd imagine their impact wrenches aren't going to do a lot of heavy lifting.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

We’ve got different wants in an iron, then. That big chunky thing won’t fly for me, but I’ve thrown an m12 battery in my back pocket and walked around big facilities soldering XLR connectors for entire workdays.

Yup. That's why there are options. Gotta love it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

AFewBricksShy posted:

If I have an air compressor, would it be a better bet to purchase an air driven impact wrench or one of the recommended battery ones?
I'm pretty knee deep into ryobi (which is perfectly fine for my around the house type stuff) but I'd imagine their impact wrenches aren't going to do a lot of heavy lifting.

I have the old 3 speed Ryobi 1/2" and wish I'd bought it a decade ago. As long as your batteries are lithium and you're not about to drop and replace everything just get the impact. I did front suspension on a 12 year old ford with British levels of rust no problem.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

AFewBricksShy posted:

I try not to buy any more pneumatic or corded tools where the battery powered offerings are available and capable. Hell, this even goes for lawn mowers now.

You can wait until Black Friday and hop into one of the more upscale eco systems mentioned here. After that, just wait for sales where free batteries are handed out and you’ll accumulate batteries for cheap.

Granted, if you aren’t using your tools much, and you just need something now, get an air impact.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

AFewBricksShy posted:

Do you have a compressor that's able to keep up with an impact or other high volume air tools, or can you only work between the compressor running?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Since impact wrench chat is happening, any opinions on Porter-Cable's offering? I've already got their drill/impact and I'd really just be getting it for home automotive light usage.

https://www.portercable.com/product...wrench/pcc740la

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nope, better off buying a corded electric one that actually cranks

or wait till you can find a milwaukee or ryobi on clearance? i scored a ryobi impact for cheap a while back and i sold my old IR impact to Charles

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Geoj posted:

Do you have a compressor that's able to keep up with an impact or other high volume air tools, or can you only work between the compressor running?

For simplicity's sake, it's between the compressor running. To elaborate, when I was using my neighbors craftsman (I think) one when working on my truck a couple weeks ago, I'd notice the hammering would pretty much crap out after the compressor had been running for about 15-20 seconds, basically the motor is strong enough to keep up for a little while.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'd stick with battery-powered tools in that case.

For what you'd spend on a decent used compressor alone you could buy a fairly decent kit of tools all utilizing the same battery ecosystem.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Geoj posted:

I'd stick with battery-powered tools in that case.

For what you'd spend on a decent used compressor alone you could buy a fairly decent kit of tools all utilizing the same battery ecosystem.

Also, in my experience, using pneumatic stuff doesn't seem that bad until you compare it side-by-side with using a cordless version of the same thing and it's so much less hassle. Especially when you're poking around under a vehicle at odd angles.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

nope, better off buying a corded electric one that actually cranks

or wait till you can find a milwaukee or ryobi on clearance? i scored a ryobi impact for cheap a while back and i sold my old IR impact to Charles

Yeah so holy poo poo I just compared the torque on PC vs Milwaukee and you weren't kidding. I had just kind of assumed their specs would be similar and the devil would be in the hidden stuff. RIP my battery dreams, time to watch for sales. At least I'm not in a rush, I have a friend close by currently that I can bum tools from till I move.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

cakesmith handyman posted:

I have the old 3 speed Ryobi 1/2" and wish I'd bought it a decade ago. As long as your batteries are lithium and you're not about to drop and replace everything just get the impact. I did front suspension on a 12 year old ford with British levels of rust no problem.

Same, Ryobi stuff has been good to me. Used it today and it will handle lug nuts and suspension bolts fine, provided there's access.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 26, 2019

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any idea how easy it would be to swap out the lock on a Clarke tool chest? I bought it ages ago and threw away the keys because I was a dumb kid, but now I'd kind of like to lock that stuff up when I'm not using it. Unfortunately, when I emailed them they told me they can't send parts to the USA.

Looks like Zoro has a bunch of cylinders, so maybe it's a matter of taking apart what I've got and finding something as similar to it as I can. Still wouldn't mind some guidance or any other suggestions.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 28, 2019

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If it's just a normal cam lock like on most boxes it should be pretty trivial to replace with nearly any other cam lock. There's probably just a big nut on the back holding it on and the actual piece that moves and prevents it from opening is probably just held on with a screw and could be swapped to another cam lock if it's at all special.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Are there any major things to look out for when buying a tool box on wheels (standard with 4-5 thin drawers and then 1-2 bigger ones)? I felt it in the store and the drawers felt pretty solid and slid out nicely. There were no tools in the box though. They are having a 40% sale.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I have the harbor freight 42in rolling unit. I like the slides and height. The wheels seem fine but I just used them to roll it to it's final spot. The drawers are friction close instead of a latch and sometimes my hammering will start to open a drawer. I put mine against a wall and the wheel height was able to clear a curb at the base of the wall so there's no gap on top. I should of had some help getting it out of the pickup. It got a little hairy on the way down but there were no injuries. Keep the weight and delivery in mind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are there any major things to look out for when buying a tool box on wheels (standard with 4-5 thin drawers and then 1-2 bigger ones)? I felt it in the store and the drawers felt pretty solid and slid out nicely. There were no tools in the box though. They are having a 40% sale.

You want drawers with bearings in the slides, you'll be glad to have them when your drawers are loaded up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bred posted:

I have the harbor freight 42in rolling unit. I like the slides and height. The wheels seem fine but I just used them to roll it to it's final spot. The drawers are friction close instead of a latch and sometimes my hammering will start to open a drawer. I put mine against a wall and the wheel height was able to clear a curb at the base of the wall so there's no gap on top. I should of had some help getting it out of the pickup. It got a little hairy on the way down but there were no injuries. Keep the weight and delivery in mind.

He's gonna need more general notes since they presumably don't have Harbor Freight in Sweden. Maybe Hårbørg Frörgbørn?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Bigger wheels make it easier to roll on rough terrain.

Ball bearing drawers make it a lot nicer when it's full of tools.

There's a massive amount of diminishing returns on what you spend on a box but it's not really a throw away item either. Got a link to the exact thing in question?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rhyno posted:

You want drawers with bearings in the slides, you'll be glad to have them when your drawers are loaded up.

honda whisperer posted:

Bigger wheels make it easier to roll on rough terrain.

Ball bearing drawers make it a lot nicer when it's full of tools.

There's a massive amount of diminishing returns on what you spend on a box but it's not really a throw away item either. Got a link to the exact thing in question?

Just realized they have a UK store as well. This is the box:
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-Pro-Edition-Tool-Cabinet/Pr407818001

The only real complaint I've seen is that the wheels aren't the best (but I guess I can always put bigger ones on it in the future). It's got ball bearing drawers as well. Right now I'm using an old office drawer unit as a tool box. The only negative I can find is that there are no foam inlays that come with it, but you can buy later. I've amassed enough tools now that I feel that it would be wasteful to buy a tool box that comes with tools. The look and feel of it is about what I'd be happy with for $200 (which is the sale price) I guess.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Speaking of tool boxes, I've been meaning to get a HF toolbox like this, which seem to be perpetually on sale. Are they significantly cheaper around black Friday, or pretty much always roughly this price?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Get a full roller, those open shelves are clutter magnets.

But to answer your question, they get coupons once a month or so. Just keep an eye out with a coupon app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.g2018.hfcoupons

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The coupon website if you don't want yet another loving app to render a web page https://www.hfqpdb.com/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Galler posted:

The coupon website if you don't want yet another loving app to render a web page https://www.hfqpdb.com/

Huh, is the Icon stuff a new line that is a step above US General?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
From the way I saw it all displayed in store, it seems likely they want to seem like they have a snap on line of products.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Did you futz around, notice anything different?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, that's getting close enough to snap on prices I feel like a lot of people would just go for snap on.

um excuse me posted:

I was thinking they'd be useful, but you're right I would no doubt end up cluttering them up. I was thinking of doing one of those shadowing foam services, so I'd like it to look as "clean" as possible. HF has a cheap metal hanging cabinet that actually looks pretty decent for my larger power tools, I should pick one of those up too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you want to do shadowboxing for a lot cheaper rockler sells that kaizen foam stuff in different thicknesses

detailed deep dive on the new icon stuff from HF for whomever was asking earlier:

https://toolguyd.com/kicking-the-tires-on-the-new-harbor-freight-icon-tool-cabinet/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

But to answer your question, they get coupons once a month or so. Just keep an eye out with a coupon app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.g2018.hfcoupons

I disagree, and the 5 drawer is super popular for good reason. I use the bottom shelf for bulky stuff like jack stands, wheel chocks, and whatnot. Admittedly, I've got a 42" as well, but the 5 drawer cart is really useful.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I got the four drawer, which was about twice as big as my old toolbox, and filled it up in about a week and wish I got the five drawer.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Just realized they have a UK store as well. This is the box:
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-Pro-Edition-Tool-Cabinet/Pr407818001

The only real complaint I've seen is that the wheels aren't the best (but I guess I can always put bigger ones on it in the future). It's got ball bearing drawers as well. Right now I'm using an old office drawer unit as a tool box. The only negative I can find is that there are no foam inlays that come with it, but you can buy later. I've amassed enough tools now that I feel that it would be wasteful to buy a tool box that comes with tools. The look and feel of it is about what I'd be happy with for $200 (which is the sale price) I guess.

Seems ok for the price but I don't know that brand so my opinion is invalid anyway.

If you think you'd be happy with it go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

I disagree, and the 5 drawer is super popular for good reason. I use the bottom shelf for bulky stuff like jack stands, wheel chocks, and whatnot. Admittedly, I've got a 42" as well, but the 5 drawer cart is really useful.

I don't disagree that they're useful, just not as a primary tool location. A channel that I watch that recently went viral because they tore down the new Supra motor, Papadakis Racing, says that tool chests with an open shelf get cluttered quickly when all you do is focus on fixing the car and just need a place to set poo poo down and my past experience agrees with that.