Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Wonder if pence is going to try and pull the "God spoke to me and said I should support impeachment" thing

I would unironically love this. His broke fanatical mind just going full "The End Times are Near!" on live TV

https://twitter.com/FluffSocial/status/1176900959122808832

e:taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

wait the Senate actually did something and it was against Trump?

the gently caress?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Schumer forced a new vote on this, what is not mentioned is that Trump can veto it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Holy poo poo. Was anyone expecting that?

Maybe the tide really is turning this time...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

logger posted:

It would be something if the reason Pelosi chose to sit on impeachment was cause she wanted something to nail on Pence so she could ascend. I doubt it, but that would have been a House of Cards level play.
I'm on team "Pelosi haters have lost their goddamn minds" and that is extremely farfetched. She was waiting on the full support of her caucus.

evilweasel posted:

Schumer forced a new vote on this, what is not mentioned is that Trump can veto it.
Yeah, but giving Trump more poo poo to deal with is good.

Aren't vetoes proactive? Doesn't it become law if he doesn't bother to veto? Because I think there's a reasonable chance that his disorganized White House could forget to do so.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump will veto that as soon as he can.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
https://twitter.com/normative/status/1176906445998219264

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/timothypmurphy/status/1176897319398182913

lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Lmao could you imagine trump being dump enough to veto this right now? Haha....heh....oh

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

maggie's original tweet was misleading but she's busting trump talking points in that tweet

But unless that talking point is actually catching anywhere (which I don't see but I could be missing) even repeating the talking point as part of a (mild) refutation like she is is doing is helping it propagate more and laying the groundwork for accusations that news organizations are mischaracterizing the contents of the call notes.

I dunno, I feel like somewhere along the last six months or year I've completely lost any presumption of neutrality with Maggie since even her articles saying the Trump admin lied or did something wrong have a very odd glass half full feel to them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This transcript is truly insane and I cannot believe they released it. It's like if Nixon released the tapes but it was him screaming "BREAK IN TO THE WATERGATE TO SPY ON MY ENEMIES" and then tried to say it wasn't a crime because he didn't say he'd bribe the burglars to stay quiet.

Absolutely astounding.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

I'm on team "Pelosi haters have lost their goddamn minds" and that is extremely farfetched. She was waiting on the full support of her caucus.

I think her bet was that he would gently caress something up, not that she specifically foresaw this happening.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Was she just waiting for the double KO? :tinfoil:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

I dunno, I feel like somewhere along the last six months or year I've completely lost any presumption of neutrality with Maggie since even her articles saying the Trump admin lied or did something wrong have a very odd glass half full feel to them.

Almost feels like she made her bones as a reporter for some rag like the NY Post and then her access to Trump became important enough for her to get paid more to do the same poo poo.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

But unless that talking point is actually catching anywhere (which I don't see but I could be missing) even repeating the talking point as part of a (mild) refutation like she is is doing is helping it propagate more and laying the groundwork for accusations that news organizations are mischaracterizing the contents of the call notes.

This really feels like you're justifying a kneejerk reaction you had. It's OK to have misread a situation, nobody will be mad at you.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump will veto that as soon as he can.

Can you explain how that works?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Saw this posted on Facebook, is this q-anon stuff or some other form of idiocy? I can't guess what he's referring to.

"you won’t be sleeping well when he wins another 4 years. Where is the quid pro quo??? Just remember this Peggy ... there are 2 more reports that are coming out that will bury the Democrats. That’s why all this is coming out now. So sleep well tonight because the day Barr and IG release their reports it’s game over. And Schiff, Pelosi, Chucky they all know it."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, but giving Trump more poo poo to deal with is good.

Pretty much, it's obvious that she waited until she thought it was a hard enough lock that there would be no risk for her. It's cowardly and I won't support the position, but hopefully it works out.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Saw this posted on Facebook, is this q-anon stuff or some other form of idiocy? I can't guess what he's referring to.

"you won’t be sleeping well when he wins another 4 years. Where is the quid pro quo??? Just remember this Peggy ... there are 2 more reports that are coming out that will bury the Democrats. That’s why all this is coming out now. So sleep well tonight because the day Barr and IG release their reports it’s game over. And Schiff, Pelosi, Chucky they all know it."

You have already done too much critical thinking

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Slugworth posted:

Yeah that's not real

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

well, my reaction was "oh yeah, there is DEFINITELY another call how did i miss that" so i personally don't feel like her repeating the talking point helped trump

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

well, my reaction was "oh yeah, there is DEFINITELY another call how did i miss that" so i personally don't feel like her repeating the talking point helped trump

Yup, the extra calls were kinda rumored, but Maggie's tweet is basically proof that at least one more exists.

edit: I love that Senators are basically as bad as the thread when it discusses ongoing news. They're trying to say the reports are fake because he didn't say the word "Biden" 8 times....but nobody said he did it in this phone call.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Yeah they’ll be arresting Hillary any day now for high treason.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Literally zero chance pelosi becomes president out of this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

We know, it's just funny to think about

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Pretty much, it's obvious that she waited until she thought it was a hard enough lock that there would be no risk for her. It's cowardly and I won't support the position, but hopefully it works out.

I'd be more willing to believe that Pelosi was waiting until she had a hard enough lock if she hadn't acted like such an incredibly petulant poo poo for the last several months. It's one thing to just stonewall the press and say, "We're going to say how things play out." It's another to snarl, "I'm not going to answer your questions about impeachment anymore!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Arist posted:

We know, it's just funny to think about

Now, Hillary, of course

Majorian posted:

I'd be more willing to believe that Pelosi was waiting until she had a hard enough lock if she hadn't acted like such an incredibly petulant poo poo for the last several months. It's one thing to just stonewall the press and say, "We're going to say how things play out." It's another to snarl, "I'm not going to answer your questions about impeachment anymore!"
That doesn't mean she was privately pushing for it or that she was definitely going to do it at some point in the future. It just means that you (and me, honestly) disagree about the strategy she was using. She was waiting to see if her caucus moved to overwhelmingly want to impeach.

If she wasn't sure it was going to go through, she's obviously not going to want to discuss it with reporters.

I suspect that she didn't have her caucus in line like she has previously, and I'm disappointed in her for that. But honestly, we're in way, way better shape than we would have been if impeachment had started in March. This isn't because Pelosi had a grand strategy, but this honestly seems like the best possible moment.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 25, 2019

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

If it looks like Pelosi might become president the Senate GOP will acquit Trump of even this stuff, at which point we careen straight into chaostown and the republic dies

this is all hilarious but also mildly terrifying

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well yeah.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpaceDrake posted:

If it looks like Pelosi might become president the Senate GOP will acquit Trump of even this stuff, at which point we careen straight into chaostown and the republic dies

You do know impeachment has failed in the senate before this right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

yeah what pelosi's thinking was has been very obvious and hard to factually dispute (people can dispute the wisdom or accuracy of any point, but it's obvious this was her thinking):

1) the stuff that was public was not strong enough, for whatever reason, for impeachment to be a political benefit to democrats (and in particular, the democrats that won in 2018 that provided her majority) because not enough of the public wasn't buying it as a rationale for impeachment
2) she did not want to impeach if it was not a political benefit
3) she did not have 218 members of her caucus wanting to move forward on impeachment and, because of 1 and 2, didn't want to push them
4) her view was that the ukraine thing was both strong and clear enough to change #1, which changed the rest of the calculus

had the ukraine thing not come out pelosi wasn't going to push for impeachment unless something similar came out. she'd have let nadler continue his hearings in the hopes it turned up something good (either impeachable or just plain useful in 2020) but didn't have a secret plan or something to come out for impeachment at a later date without something new coming up.

people's quibbles are basically either disputing that 1 was factually true; or agreeing with 1-3 but arguing that impeachment was a moral imperative even if it wasn't politically advantageous. i don't really care to dispute either of those two points, but I don't think that there's much to dispute about what precisely Pelosi was doing and why.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

SpaceDrake posted:

I disagree: I can see them going after Trump and then acquitting Pence as a pawn in a greater plan he didn’t understand. If the outrage is bad enough that the shutting down impeachment will shatter the republic, they’ll throw Trump to the proverbial lion’s pit and then lay low for a while as the public gets to see the world’s biggest rear end in a top hat get what’s coming to him.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even if Trump pulls a Veto he’s not going to be happy with the senate, and with all the other stuff going on that won’t make him the most stable, even by his standards

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
What in the gently caress is happening in this thread? The Senate is going to acquit Trump. We've known this since he won the election. His acquittal is not a chaos scenario.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Flip Yr Wig posted:

What in the gently caress is happening in this thread? The Senate is going to acquit Trump. We've known this since he won the election. His acquittal is not a chaos scenario.

I...actually think the whistleblower complaint could, maybe, be bad enough. And I've been saying "he won't be removed" since he won re-election.

It would have to be terrible and that wouldn't even guarantee it, but I actually, today, don't feel like removal is off the table, just extremely unlikely.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, I think it's just speculation.

The Senate will not vote to remove him.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Crows Turn Off posted:

They've been this party since at least Reagan, so she's an idiot.

McCain was a racist rear end in a top hat who also used hatred of latinos to rile up his base lol

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Depends. Trump is only worth it as long as he is useful. He's already not looking super useful going into 2020, and if there is a risk of this being a case through spring and possibly summer of 2020 they might dump him to try and claim some high ground and hold the senate.

Pence would also be much more palatable to many republicans who might not vote because they find Trump distasteful.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flip Yr Wig posted:

2020 is coming up and forcing impeachment and dragging things out into the open allows the dems to push those that would block it*

*if the dems had a spine and knew how to play politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So any word on if the whistle blower is going to testify to Congress within the week?