Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m thinking about the Trump tweet where he says he wants the transcript to get out because it’s “a perfect call” that’ll surprise everyone. “A perfect call” is just such a weird thing to say.

Everything with him is “perfect” the “biggest” “most beautiful”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm a little puzzled at the continued criticism of Pelosi, she's finally doing what she needs to be doing. Nonetheless, here we are and the impeachment is finally happening.

I mean I'm all still in favor of running her out of the party on a rail forever variety of reasons, not least of all her hesitation to begin impeachment, but that can wait until after we've dealt with Trump.

Also I'm going to be cautiously optimistic here. The Senate might just vote to convict, based on how establishment Republicans are reacting. They're starting to switch over in to cover my rear end mode, because they're altar D at. Of them know just how far this investigation is going to go. (But they know exactly where they'd like it to stop- right before it reaches their personal doorstep).

No one believes the Trump crew can handle this competently, I mean look at how quickly they are falling apart now that they are facing real opposition. The opportunistic Psychopaths that make up the bulk of the upper echelons of the Republican Party can spot when they're on the decks of the Titanic- and I do believe they're going to try their damnedest to make sure they get their slot on the lifeboats.

The rage-a-thon we are about to witness from Trump is going to be unlike anything we've seen so far- we might even get some sort of profanity-laden breakdown on live television. (If not that, then Trump's going to come mighty fuckin close to something like that.)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

nixon is still pretty much considered a failure despite a reasonably successful presidential term ignoring the one minor issue

I mean there was a fair amount of rehabilitation of said issue, such in that people started wondering what Nixon ever really did wrong in the first place.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Mitch can desperately want Trump to resign all he wants. Doesn't mean he has the power to do it when his only threat - that he'll get a third of his caucus to stab dear leader in the front - is hollow and everyone knows it.

Its craven self interest, hollow or not. How many Senators could be taken out by a thorough House investigation when transcripts really start flowing? Anyone that's been trying to help Trump is vulnerable. He absolutely has the power to do it. He's the only one who does. His move now is to prove to his caucus that stabbing Trump will do nothing, if but help his caucus.

I think McConnell himself is under threat here, considering his wife has been working in the Trump admin supposedly strong arming Senators.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 25, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The real problem is that when he kicks it he gets to lie in state and everyone will insist we mourn and eulogize him

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The GOP knows they are the party of Trump now. The Senate will never vote to remove him, any thinking beyond that is delusional.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
He's just quoting people that are regurgitating the talking points that he told them to say.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

I'm a little puzzled at the continued criticism of Pelosi, she's finally doing what she needs to be doing. Nonetheless, here we are and the impeachment is finally happening.

It's because a lot of folks on twitter and other places are lauding her as a brave hero for finally being dragged kicking and screaming into taking action. I don't think there are too many people here lionizing her, which is good, but still, she sucks.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
RE: GOP Senators on the actual vote to impeach, I'm thinking back to poker strategy. The whole point of playing good poker isn't necessarily to always make the right call in close situations but rather to constantly put your opponents in positions where they had to make tough calls. I'm thinking the Dem philosophy on impeachment should be just that, force the GOP to take a tough vote that no matter how they decide will likely be a net negative for them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ShutteredIn posted:

The GOP knows they are the party of Trump now. The Senate will never vote to remove him, any thinking beyond that is delusional.

Why? The best he has over them is "if I go down we all go down", which is pretty much overthrown if they flip on him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BlueBlazer posted:

Its craven self interest, hollow or not. How many Senators could be taken out by a thorough House investigation when transcripts really start flowing?

zero, especially as the house has no jurisdiction to investigate the senate

at the end of the day trump is beloved by enough of the republican base that if you go against him enough he comes out against you you're likely to lose your primary, and that's on matters much more minor than actually deposing him

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
So one Republican talking point I've seen is that the whistleblower didn't have firsthand information on the calls/content. This seems to back that up a bit:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1176914168823332864?s=20

But at this point, I'm not sure it matters. It does seem to call into question whether the whistleblower protections can/should apply though, based on that thread.

Does it matter that the complainant only seems to have heard about the calls from "white house officials?"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Majorian posted:

because a lot of folks on twitter and other places

Who gives a poo poo

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

there's not. 25th amendment, section 2.

Mick mulvaney, acting Vice President

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

at the end of the day trump is beloved by enough of the republican base that if you go against him enough he comes out against you you're likely to lose your primary, and that's on matters much more minor than actually deposing him

I mean, Trump-backed candidates haven't exactly been winning primaries either, much less full electoins.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

nixon is still pretty much considered a failure despite a reasonably successful presidential term ignoring the one minor issue

its actually fluxuated through the years. right now he is hated again because of trump and various really good books and various stuff from his library becoming public.

Prester Jane posted:

I mean I'm all still in favor of running her out of the party on a rail forever variety of reasons, not least of all her hesitation to begin impeachment, but that can wait until after we've dealt with Trump.

Also I'm going to be cautiously optimistic here. The Senate might just vote to convict, based on how establishment Republicans are reacting. They're starting to switch over in to cover my rear end mode, because they're altar D at. Of them know just how far this investigation is going to go. (But they know exactly where they'd like it to stop- right before it reaches their personal doorstep).

No one believes the Trump crew can handle this competently, I mean look at how quickly they are falling apart now that they are facing real opposition. The opportunistic Psychopaths that make up the bulk of the upper echelons of the Republican Party can spot when they're on the decks of the Titanic- and I do believe they're going to try their damnedest to make sure they get their slot on the lifeboats.

The rage-a-thon we are about to witness from Trump is going to be unlike anything we've seen so far- we might even get some sort of profanity-laden breakdown on live television. (If not that, then Trump's going to come mighty fuckin close to something like that.)

yeah. i think she bent the knee to pressure and is doing the right thing. as long as she keeps doing said right thing. i am fine. i kinda figured the senate might start thinking of loving over trump(they might/might not) but i am surprised how fast shits happening and whats being said/inferred/not said.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Who gives a poo poo

PJ asked where the criticism was coming from, I explained it.:shrug:

FizFashizzle posted:

Mick mulvaney, acting Vice President

Seems like that would be a demotion for him at this point.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Majorian posted:

It's because a lot of folks on twitter and other places are lauding her as a brave hero for finally being dragged kicking and screaming into taking action. I don't think there are too many people here lionizing her, which is good, but still, she sucks.

Maj-o I like your posting but the point of politics isn't to correctly identify who the good people and the bad people are and put them on the good person list and the bad person list.

Pelosi just did what you wanted at an extremely opportune time to do so. The fact that there existed a universe where she never did what you wanted does not seem to be an important thing to discuss?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why? The best he has over them is "if I go down we all go down", which is pretty much overthrown if they flip on him.

At least a couple of them have said "off the record" to reporters that they genuinely fear Trump will tell his supporters to murder them if they don't play ball :shrug:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I really think Trump is going to shut the government down again to try and hold it hostage to stop the investigations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

The point is that Pence is so incompetent that he had 40% approval as a Republican in this place:

Sure, but only people in Indiana know this.

After impeachment and removal, Pence would come in with at least a 60% national approval rate for not being Trump. His honeymoon period goes right into the election. The Decorum Dems in congress will work with him. As long as he doesn't step on his dick in an outrageously unexpected way, his competence will be graded on a curve with one end of it being motherfucking Trump.

I know reliable Dem voters who say things like "at least Pence wouldn't be _____" fill in the blank with anything from "embarrassing" to "accidentally starting a war with Uruguay in a 3AM poop tweet", and those people won't vote for him but uninformed "likely dem" voters will mostly see him as another interchangeable suit and their energy and turnout will be bad, which is all that's needed for him to win.

I'm not prognosticating here, but I do think it's a credible threat. If the dems in general were really excited about progressive causes, Biden wouldn't be anywhere near the lead, let alone in it. The motivation right now is Trump ouster >>>>>>> specific policies.
I also think it doesn't matter because the Senate won't remove Trump, just to be clear.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Prester Jane posted:

How do these paragraphs coexist

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

a trump who has been kicked out of office has way more time to go around campaigning against every senator who impeached him in favor of any other primary candidate at all

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

As laughable as a conviction by the Senate is, I find the idea of Trump resigning so impossible I can’t imagine what would even cause it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

a trump who has been kicked out of office has way more time to go around campaigning against every senator who impeached him in favor of any other primary candidate at all

Imagine how much he will tweet when he doesn't even have to pretend to be busy

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really think Trump is going to shut the government down again to try and hold it hostage to stop the investigations.

That's pretty much a certainty at this point.

I'm eager to see how he shoots himself in the foot from here in out trying to stop the investigation. This will be like Russia times ten.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Bloop posted:

Sure, but only people in Indiana know this.

After impeachment and removal, Pence would come in with at least a 60% national approval rate for not being Trump. His honeymoon period goes right into the election. The Decorum Dems in congress will work with him. As long as he doesn't step on his dick in an outrageously unexpected way, his competence will be graded on a curve with one end of it being motherfucking Trump.

I know reliable Dem voters who say things like "at least Pence wouldn't be _____" fill in the blank with anything from "embarrassing" to "accidentally starting a war with Uruguay in a 3AM poop tweet", and those people won't vote for him but uninformed "likely dem" voters will mostly see him as another interchangeable suit and their energy and turnout will be bad, which is all that's needed for him to win.

I'm not prognosticating here, but I do think it's a credible threat. If the dems in general were really excited about progressive causes, Biden wouldn't be anywhere near the lead, let alone in it. The motivation right now is Trump ouster >>>>>>> specific policies.
I also think it doesn't matter because the Senate won't remove Trump, just to be clear.
Pence is known as "the gay hater" among the left (and center). That's not a winning issue in Pennsylvania in 2019, stop writing stupid things.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Why would any Republican vote against Trump? They instantly lose all of the conservatives, and are all so deep in Trump poo poo that they won’t stem any of the anti-Trump vote against them.

Not even Olympia Snowe will cave.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1176919492468924417

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

Oh God, post presidency Trump us going to be loving awful.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Then whats with the border emergency declaration? That's like the one important thing to Trumps base he can point to, why would McConnell allow that to come to vote?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Maj-o I like your posting but the point of politics isn't to correctly identify who the good people and the bad people are and put them on the good person list and the bad person list.

Pelosi just did what you wanted at an extremely opportune time to do so. The fact that there existed a universe where she never did what you wanted does not seem to be an important thing to discuss?

I'm glad she did this now, but as I said earlier, I don't buy that she couldn't have launched impeachment-related investigations. We could have gotten to this point a lot sooner, and our political system would be a lot healthier for it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Majorian posted:

I mean yeah, she sucks. But as long as she zealously pursues impeachment against Trump there's really no reason to get too upset with her at the moment.

Let the cheerleaders cheer for now imo: as a leader Pelosi can be a focal point for the people's outrage and channel that into useful momentum, and although she is a very flawed a prism for this sort of moment- she's the prism in position at the moment.

What I'm saying is we can have the leftist infight another day, you don't necessarily have to cheer for Pelosi and certainly don't overlook her many flaws, but for the moment I think the centrist cheer section does more good than harm.*

*for this brief, singular moment in history,

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 25, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Edmund Lava posted:

As laughable as a conviction by the Senate is, I find the idea of Trump resigning so impossible I can’t imagine what would even cause it.

yeah I think this is flatly impossible, Trump will never resign.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh God, post presidency Trump us going to be loving awful.

He was going to be a nightmare since the very moment he won the Republican nomination.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

Why would any Republican vote against Trump? They instantly lose all of the conservatives, and are all so deep in Trump poo poo that they won’t stem any of the anti-Trump vote against them.

She’s in so deep that she won’t vote to remove even despite not being in Congress anymore

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

evilweasel posted:

I feel like trump strokes out or literally ends up in a care home within weeks of leaving office. With how utterly out of it he's been in all of his live appearances lately it's hard to see how he'd even campaign for himself, much less against others.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

the issue with republicans who need to care about the general isn't so much if they'll successfully be flipped - doesn't matter, there's not enough of them - but that they're placed in a no-win situation so it doesn't really matter what vote they take, it hurts them badly in their next election

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
He is going to be exactly the same as he was before. He'll go back to his tower and his TV shows and his idiotic tweets like nothing ever happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is stupid.