Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Fly Ricky posted:

I can't recommend AutoSleep enough. It's not free, but works like a charm and gives you more information about your sleep than you could possibly imagine. Nice UI as well.

Has a companion app AutoWake that does that "wake you up when you're body is primed" things that I also use.

Seconded. I went from Pillow to AutoSleep/AutoWake and never looked back. Much nicer UI and better metrics. And as a bonus it doesn’t drain the gently caress out of the watch overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh didn't realise Pillow switched to subscription, they were a one-time purchase earlier in the year. Guess I'll switch to AutoSleep, even though I think Pillow has a nicer look to it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s amazing how many apps don’t even offer a one-time payment option at this point. I’ve been looking for a decent calorie tracking app that has Apple Watch integration and they all constantly hound you to pay $30-$40 a year for a subscription.

I’m totally fine paying $10-$20 once for an app that provides the functionality I need (HealthKit, barcode scanning, nutrition photo scanning, nice database of user-submitted data of restaurants, safari extension for recipes), but apparently that warrants a $30 subscription now.

I should just develop a calorie tracking app, because apparently it’s easy to make a bunch of money on annual subscriptions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see how it's possible to be an app developer without subscriptions. You get a one time surge of sales and then everyone expects they never have pay for anything ever again. Not a great plan for paying the rent if you're a one app shop! And this assumes you don't price it to high and people just never buy it to begin with.

I agree that as a consumer it's super lovely for everything in my life to be a subscription, but there's no better option out there. The app store was a race to the bottom and this is where things settled.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Any black stainless steel watch havers here? I’ve had this thing for 2 days and I just noticed it already has some very light scratches along the edge of the screen. I’m talking you kinda have to look for them under certain light at a specific angle light. I understand that, while more durable than gold and silver, stainless steel is stainless steel and these tiny scratches are just something you have to live with. Still kinda disappointed to see on a brand new device. Now I’m curious how one looks after a year or so of use before I decide if I want to stick with it, ask for an exchange (if this is more uncommon), or swap to silver where I have the option to buff/polish it in the future should I want to to freshen it up.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 23, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Any black stainless steel watch havers here? I’ve had this thing for 2 days and I just noticed it already has some very light scratches along the edge of the screen. I’m talking you kinda have to look for them under certain light at a specific angle light. I understand that, while more durable than gold and silver, stainless steel is stainless steel and these tiny scratches are just something you have to live with. Still kinda disappointed to see on a brand new device. Now I’m curious how one looks after a year or so of use before I decide if I want to stick with it, ask for an exchange (if this is more uncommon), or swap to silver where I have the option to buff/polish it in the future should I want to to freshen it up.

Are the scratches on the screen or the body? Either way, you're still in the no questions asked return window, so just get it exchanged.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Go get a cloth and get it wet and try to buff it off. There’s a very high probability it is contact material from your watch scratching something and not a scratch in your watch. I’ve had an SBSS s2/s3/s4 and soon to be s5. Not a one has had a single scratch. One time I thought I had a scratch but after rubbing it a bit with a cloth it went away.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I normally prefer space gray Apple Watches, but the silver stainless is hands down the my favorite looking Apple Watch material. Definitely swap it and you'll be able to worry a lot less about scratches.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rage-saq posted:

Go get a cloth and get it wet and try to buff it off. There’s a very high probability it is contact material from your watch scratching something and not a scratch in your watch. I’ve had an SBSS s2/s3/s4 and soon to be s5. Not a one has had a single scratch. One time I thought I had a scratch but after rubbing it a bit with a cloth it went away.

Gave it a try. It’s definitely a scratch. An incredibly minor scratch but it’s definitely there. (Side note: god drat I love the material compared to the aluminum.)

Gay Retard posted:

I normally prefer space gray Apple Watches, but the silver stainless is hands down the my favorite looking Apple Watch material. Definitely swap it and you'll be able to worry a lot less about scratches.

I’m thinking I might just do this. I thought about it for a bit while trying them out in the store but this might just won me over to the other side.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’ve been using Lose It, and they used to be okay but now EVERY time I open the app they bug me about it. Worse it’s delayed, so I’m trying to put in my breakfast and boom giant sub begging.

But if all you need is to track calories, you can make a google spreadsheet that will do it for you.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah my 5 battery still sucks. My wife put her 2-year old 3 on the same time in the morning as my 5 and she’s at 85% at 4pm vs my 55%. A few % would be fine, but 30% difference is crazy.

Definitely going to take this in.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah my 5 battery still sucks. My wife put her 2-year old 3 on the same time in the morning as my 5 and she’s at 85% at 4pm vs my 55%. A few % would be fine, but 30% difference is crazy.

Definitely going to take this in.
Another anecdote: put my fully-charged Series 5 on at around 8am this morning. On my way home from work around 5:30 I got the low power alert. Shortly after I got home (as I was attempting to check the Noise app) the battery died!

I was using my phone at work all day and downloading tons of stuff (new 11 Pro) but that shouldn't have affected the watch's life right?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I believe downloading any apps with an Apple Watch component triggers a Bluetooth transfer to your Watch, so yes, it’s going to use up a lot of battery (just like installing apps on your phone).

My Series 5 was around 40% at the end of the day today.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've had FIVE different Space Black Stainless Steel watches (three Series 3, one Series 4, and now a Series 5).

The material around the edge of display isn't actually sapphire, and will scratch easier than the black DLC. I'm guessing the edge around the sapphire display is actually glass, because of how easily it scratches.

As for the rest of the watch, with its "Diamond-Like Carbon", it will also scratch. A hard scrape against some jagged cement or a floor tile is enough to take the black off down to the bright silver-colored stainless underneath.

(Some people have even sanded their scratched-up black DLC off and tried to polish their now silver-colored watch!)

I've asked in the past about how easily these things scratch, and was told that it "wasn't really scratched", and that material of what it scraped against was left behind on the surface, or some crap like that. I scraped my SB SS Series 3 just one month after getting it, and no amount of rubbing/cleaning made the scratches go away (and just made the glass around the sapphire more scuffed up).

I replaced my first SB SS after a year using AppleCare+, and then I replaced the replacement within days because of how quickly it scratched up.
I just brought my third SB SS S3 to Apple today, to get it replaced again before my AppleCare+ runs out. Its display separated where the sapphire meets the glass (popping out), so I may not even have to pay the $69 deductible.

Anyone that thinks the SB SS doesn't get scratches either needs their eyes checked or learn how to use better lighting. If you wear it like a normal watch and work with your hands, it will get beat up. There's nothing you can do about it (other than put a protective shell on it, but then you won't be able to see its shine).

The Space Black holds up better than anything other than Ceramic, but it still scratches.
I noticed that after a year of getting tons of tiny scratches, it still looks new from 2+ feet away.

I was close to getting a regular Stainless Steel, but those really look beat up and rough after a while unless you keep them polished.

Here's some pics of my first SB SS when I noticed that the edge of my kitchen tiles cut through its DLC like it was nothing (clearly my floor tiles are made of diamonds).
You can also see the line on the edge of the sapphire where it is surrounded by glass.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Dude that is tripping me out, I've never seen anything like that. In awe of this lad.

I just replaced my Series 0 Space Black yesterday, and it could be sold as completely new, it is 100% spotless in the 4.5 years that I've had it. I slam the watch into poo poo while I'm walking all the time.

Seriously though that is loving crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the most hosed up space black watches to ever exist.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I thought mine was bad (top edge and screen along a rock climbing wall) but that’s impressive.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For the guy who was having the authenticate problem (which for me was caused by having apps installed using an apple id i no longer use), I think I found the solution. I went to the watch app on the phone and scrolled down, and past the installed apps there were apps trying to installed, with a spinning thingy next to them. I clicked stop on all of them and restarted my watch. It seems to have stopped the alerts.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Taima posted:

Dude that is tripping me out, I've never seen anything like that. In awe of this lad.

I just replaced my Series 0 Space Black yesterday, and it could be sold as completely new, it is 100% spotless in the 4.5 years that I've had it. I slam the watch into poo poo while I'm walking all the time.

Seriously though that is loving crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the most hosed up space black watches to ever exist.

Apple described my most recent one (not scratched up as bad as the one in the pictures, but with at least one deep scratch down to the metal and a few hairline scratches) like this:

"Cosmetic Condition: No visible damage to enclosure. No damage to display. Display has separated from enclosure."

If you check out Swappa, there are some Space Black watches described as Good / Near-Mint / Mint that have visible scuffs and scrapes.

Don't see the scratches? Many (most?) sellers purposely take low-light photos or don't bother wiping the watch down (so it looks covered in fingerprints) in order to conceal the scrapes and wear.

If you wipe the watch down and put it under a focused light, the little scrapes and scratches are quite visible.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Xenomorph posted:

Apple described my most recent one (not scratched up as bad as the one in the pictures, but with at least one deep scratch down to the metal and a few hairline scratches) like this:

"Cosmetic Condition: No visible damage to enclosure. No damage to display. Display has separated from enclosure."

If you check out Swappa, there are some Space Black watches described as Good / Near-Mint / Mint that have visible scuffs and scrapes.

Don't see the scratches? Many (most?) sellers purposely take low-light photos or don't bother wiping the watch down (so it looks covered in fingerprints) in order to conceal the scrapes and wear.

If you wipe the watch down and put it under a focused light, the little scrapes and scratches are quite visible.
You are the only person I’ve ever seen post a not-flawless SBSS.
I can clean my watch, put it in the light and look at the reflections and it’s still flawless.
Each year I’ve done side by side comparisons of a brand new SBSS compared to my previous one and they always looked identical.
It’s not that I can’t see them because I don’t know what to look for, I’ve had plenty of stainless watches including the Apple Watch s0, it’s that they aren’t there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My 0 Gen SBSS that I used until last fall (when I got my 4) had one little scuff on it and I had to angle it in the light to see it.

I'm not sure what's up with Xenomorph's watches. I'm sorry dude.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Hey, I've had a watch for a long time but only recently started using Siri.

I like using the hey Siri command. But when I’m done speaking, Siri says “do you want me to send blah blah blah” and then puts this big pop up on the watch face that shows what the reminder or message is going to be. This just sits there forever. Is there a way to make this time out, or not even have to do it? It’s a pain having to hit the button to clear it when the whole point is to be hands free. Especially when driving.

Thanks

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

Hey, I've had a watch for a long time but only recently started using Siri.

I like using the hey Siri command. But when I’m done speaking, Siri says “do you want me to send blah blah blah” and then puts this big pop up on the watch face that shows what the reminder or message is going to be. This just sits there forever. Is there a way to make this time out, or not even have to do it? It’s a pain having to hit the button to clear it when the whole point is to be hands free. Especially when driving.

Thanks
I haven’t tried it much but I think it automatically does the action at some point unless you explicitly cancel it. It wasn’t always like that (like you had to explicitly confirm before) but it was a change a while ago iirc.

Edit: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7397236
Sounds like dropping your hand or pressing the crown is supposed to work. Wonder if covering the screen might work too cause that’s another normal way of dismissing the watch.

japtor fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 24, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomorph posted:

I've had FIVE different Space Black Stainless Steel watches (three Series 3, one Series 4, and now a Series 5).

The material around the edge of display isn't actually sapphire, and will scratch easier than the black DLC. I'm guessing the edge around the sapphire display is actually glass, because of how easily it scratches.

As for the rest of the watch, with its "Diamond-Like Carbon", it will also scratch. A hard scrape against some jagged cement or a floor tile is enough to take the black off down to the bright silver-colored stainless underneath.

(Some people have even sanded their scratched-up black DLC off and tried to polish their now silver-colored watch!)

I've asked in the past about how easily these things scratch, and was told that it "wasn't really scratched", and that material of what it scraped against was left behind on the surface, or some crap like that. I scraped my SB SS Series 3 just one month after getting it, and no amount of rubbing/cleaning made the scratches go away (and just made the glass around the sapphire more scuffed up).

I replaced my first SB SS after a year using AppleCare+, and then I replaced the replacement within days because of how quickly it scratched up.
I just brought my third SB SS S3 to Apple today, to get it replaced again before my AppleCare+ runs out. Its display separated where the sapphire meets the glass (popping out), so I may not even have to pay the $69 deductible.

Anyone that thinks the SB SS doesn't get scratches either needs their eyes checked or learn how to use better lighting. If you wear it like a normal watch and work with your hands, it will get beat up. There's nothing you can do about it (other than put a protective shell on it, but then you won't be able to see its shine).

The Space Black holds up better than anything other than Ceramic, but it still scratches.
I noticed that after a year of getting tons of tiny scratches, it still looks new from 2+ feet away.

I was close to getting a regular Stainless Steel, but those really look beat up and rough after a while unless you keep them polished.

Here's some pics of my first SB SS when I noticed that the edge of my kitchen tiles cut through its DLC like it was nothing (clearly my floor tiles are made of diamonds).
You can also see the line on the edge of the sapphire where it is surrounded by glass.

Maybe you should take your watch off when you go to bed in your rock tumbler.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Raise to activate Siri never works on my Series 5. I hope it's just a software bug. MY GIRLFRIEND is grabbing a 40 mm Series 5 tonight, so I'll see if mine is particularly buggy compared to hers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gay Retard posted:

Raise to activate Siri never works on my Series 5. I hope it's just a software bug. MY GIRLFRIEND is grabbing a 40 mm Series 5 tonight, so I'll see if mine is particularly buggy compared to hers.

It’s too sensitive for me on my 4 so I turned it off. “Hey Siri” works well enough that I just use that instead.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've never had Raise to Activate Siri work on my S3. Except maybe once when I wasn't trying.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Thwomp posted:

I've never had Raise to Activate Siri work on my S3. Except maybe once when I wasn't trying.

I feel like it works fairly well for me, but I have to hold the watch pretty stupidly close to my mouth for it to work.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I've only had Raise to Activate for a couple of days but it seems 100% dependent on ambient noise.

If I'm in a quiet area, it works more or less 100% of the time.

If I am in a loud area, or even somewhere with say a fan blowing, it is far less reliable.

e: I found this and it seems to be accurate:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/04/19/how-to-make-the-apple-watch-raise-to-speak-feature-work-every-time

I think I just raise my watch the way they expect and that's why I'm getting such a good success rate. After trying other positions, I agree that saying hey siri is probably better for most.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 25, 2019

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What're the best non-Apple bands? Or is there such a thing-- should I just go on amazon or aliexpress and get whatever random knockoff milanese loop or leather band is on sale?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The milanese loop in regular stainless is almost comically easy to reproduce for a small fraction of the price, so if you're looking for the silver one, you're good to go with almost anything on Amazon.

If you want a colored one, in my experience you're mostly hosed unless you are ok with replacing them regularly or otherwise ok with the color wearing out. I recommend that anyone looking for a good colored-metal milanese just buy the Apple version, especially as they are now $100 instead of $150. That being said, hopefully you have a stainless steel watch, this may be controversial but mixing an aluminum watch with a milanese just seems weird to me, like mixing formal and casual. It doesn't work in my opinion but YMMV.

As for leather bands, Nomad is popular. If you want a really good leather band, Ashland Leather does shell cordovan leather bands that are sweet, but pretty pricey at $125-135 (shell is expensive). Personally I've had bad luck with any cheaper leather bands, though that may be because I'm used to shell leather.

The sports bands have been largely figured out imo, get any of the high rated ones from Amazon and you're good to go.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 25, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Did an apple support chat about my 5 battery and of course they wanted me to re-pair, but set up as a new watch instead of restore from backup. There’s 2 hours down the toilet waiting and reconfiguring. Hopefully it works?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Anyone ever work out with the official Milanese ban? Is it as bad an idea as I think?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Taima posted:

The milanese loop in regular stainless is almost comically easy to reproduce for a small fraction of the price, so if you're looking for the silver one, you're good to go with almost anything on Amazon.

If you want a colored one, in my experience you're mostly hosed unless you are ok with replacing them regularly or otherwise ok with the color wearing out. I recommend that anyone looking for a good colored-metal milanese just buy the Apple version, especially as they are now $100 instead of $150. That being said, hopefully you have a stainless steel watch, this may be controversial but mixing an aluminum watch with a milanese just seems weird to me, like mixing formal and casual. It doesn't work in my opinion but YMMV.

As for leather bands, Nomad is popular. If you want a really good leather band, Ashland Leather does shell cordovan leather bands that are sweet, but pretty pricey at $125-135 (shell is expensive). Personally I've had bad luck with any cheaper leather bands, though that may be because I'm used to shell leather.

The sports bands have been largely figured out imo, get any of the high rated ones from Amazon and you're good to go.

I bought the following on Aliexpress:

4 Sport Bands
3 "Nike" Sport Bands
4 Sport Loops
1 Milanese Loop Band

....for a grand total of $29 shipped. I did spend a little more and ordered a $50 leather band from Etsy, but that's worth it for the leather quality.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Anyone ever work out with the official Milanese ban? Is it as bad an idea as I think?
I used it way back when shooting basketball on my own once or twice. I vaguely recall feeling like I had to readjust/tighten it a bunch, not sure if I actually had to or just felt like I had to. Plus I had the stainless model back then so the extra weight didn’t help. So uh I guess depends how much you’ll be moving and/or wrist flexions.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can we disable the “use raise to Siri” alert/notification yet

And yeah, S3 here. Raise to Siri is awful and I turned it off real quick.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

It really depends on the weather and how much you sweat

I wouldn’t advise it I’ve ruined the lug-connector by putting too much strain maybe doing push-ups or something I don’t know on the s0 version.

Apple was nice enough to give me a new one since they deemed it ‘their fault’ and it’s sat in a box ever since. I don’t go to fancy events enough!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can we disable the “use raise to Siri” alert/notification yet

And yeah, S3 here. Raise to Siri is awful and I turned it off real quick.

General -> Siri

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’ve been checking my battery, and it looks like it’ll hit the 50% mark after 14 hours off the charger. Worse than my 4, for sure, but should be sufficient to get through a day with sleep tracking.

I do hope this gets tweaked in a WatchOS update, because it’s definitely 18 hours as promised, but can’t exceed it like the older watches.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 25, 2019

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I've only had Raise to Activate for a couple of days but it seems 100% dependent on ambient noise.

If I'm in a quiet area, it works more or less 100% of the time.

If I am in a loud area, or even somewhere with say a fan blowing, it is far less reliable.

e: I found this and it seems to be accurate:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/04/19/how-to-make-the-apple-watch-raise-to-speak-feature-work-every-time

I think I just raise my watch the way they expect and that's why I'm getting such a good success rate. After trying other positions, I agree that saying hey siri is probably better for most.

fourwood posted:

I feel like it works fairly well for me, but I have to hold the watch pretty stupidly close to my mouth for it to work.

Tried again, no dice. Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

finally decided to jump in on one of these, and holy gently caress the ship date on the space gray titanium has slipped to late november already.

guess i’m about to get a lesson in patience.