Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump suing so he could ignore subpoenas is inarguably impeachable and they didn't start it up. poo poo like not immediately handing over the tax returns shoulda done it alone.

it's good they're finally doing it but there was a lot worse before this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.thenation.com/article/mike-pence-is-still-to-blame-for-an-hiv-outbreak-in-indiana-but-for-new-reasons/

Basically, he gutted a bunch of healthcare in targeting gays and drugs that he created an outbreak. He shut down needle exchanges.

Also a whole bunch of HIV preventative funding goes into constantly testing the homeless population. When I was homeless in San Antonio the local health department was constantly going into homeless shelters and offering anyone and everyone a $10 Walmart gift card to get a 20-minute on-the-spot test done. (They would also occasionally set up shop at the more popular feedings.)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really think Trump is going to shut the government down again to try and hold it hostage to stop the investigations.

I have to think that this is part of the reason why there was a delay in the process. When he still had a debt ceiling threat, Trump could have held the world economy hostage in a way a shutdown cannot. You had to find a way to defuse that issue without letting him know how much leverage it gave him.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The fact that the democrats didn't immediately go on to punitive measures when trump officials were ignoring subpoena's is reason enough to continually give pelosi poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Angry_Ed posted:

weird how it's not in the article, something that could easily be updated, then.

Almost like it's misleading.

you've cracked the ca....oh

quote:

House Democrats are coalescing around a strategy to narrow the focus of their impeachment inquiry to President Donald Trump's interactions with Ukraine's leader, an issue that has unified the party in outrage and motivated some Democrats to seek expedited action.

The strategy, described by Democratic lawmakers and aides familiar with the talks, would center on streamlining the consideration of articles of impeachment to focus exclusively on Trump's efforts to pressure Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate Joe Biden — a push they say included an implicit threat to withhold military aid to the eastern European country.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi offered the suggestion during a leadership meeting on Wednesday morning, according to two people in the meeting.

Though there's no explicit timeframe to act, some Democrats said they were hopeful articles could be considered by the end of the year or even sooner.

he tweeted the info, then he went to update the article

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

senate rules have a lot of "must" and "shall" about actually immediately holding the trial. also, Justice Roberts theoretically presides, though I don't know what precise powers he will have.

that said, if mitch says "so what, gently caress that" i don't see an enforcement mechanism as long as 51 senators back him up

Thanks! Looking into it a bit, apparently "the Senate Will Duly Inform the House of Representatives When Ready for the Trial." So, if the Senate is just too gosh darned busy with elections coming up, they could just delay taking it up till after the election then?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Solaris 2.0 posted:

When does the government run out of money? I know I posted a link earlier that said "November 21st" but can someone confirm?

Also I could easily see Trump shutting the government down to end the impeachment probe. He loving shut down the government over stupid Wall for a loving month.

It would be right around the holidays too :(

Doing that would basically be an admission of guilt, and make things even worse for his re-election hopes.

He is probably going to go around offering a big infrastructure plan and then say he can’t work with the Democrats to make it official because of the investigation. There definitely won’t be any shutdowns a year out from the election. The GOP are idiots, but they probably learned that lesson.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dick Trauma posted:

He is going to be exactly the same as he was before. He'll go back to his tower and his TV shows and his idiotic tweets like nothing ever happened.

There is the chance that Twitter bans him once he's no longer president. Remote, but possible.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really think Trump is going to shut the government down again to try and hold it hostage to stop the investigations.

"I'm using my official powers to block funding until you do what benefits me personally" might be the worst possible way for Trump to respond to this.

So that's almost guaranteed to happen.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Monaghan posted:

The fact that the democrats didn't immediately go on to punitive measures when trump officials were ignoring subpoena's is reason enough to continually give pelosi poo poo.

iirc that's mostly on the committee chairmen/women and i thought i recalled her saying that nadler should have locked up lendowski last week

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Willo567 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1176888945940074497

Good. Keep asking for it, you'll get it you inbred HICK

“HOW STUPID ARE YOU, YOU CANT VOTE ON IMPEACHMENT WITHOUT INVESTIGATING FIRST”

followed immediately by

“STOP INVESTIGATING VOTE VOTE VOTE”

certainly doesn’t sound like someone desperate to find something, anything that sticks as defense

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

you've cracked the ca....oh

Yeah I already edited my post because they updated the article without even saying that they did. That information was not there in the initial release. However, that still doesn't say what you want it to say. "some democrats" doesn't equal a majority of democrats, or "an increasing number of democrats" and hey you even left off the part where Ted Lieu says that yes, we should focus on the Ukraine call, but not hastily.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 25, 2019

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Solaris 2.0 posted:

When does the government run out of money? I know I posted a link earlier that said "November 21st" but can someone confirm?

Also I could easily see Trump shutting the government down to end the impeachment probe. He loving shut down the government over his stupid Wall for a loving month - and he only caved because the ATC/TSA people were walking off the job, shutting down our airports and thus, grinding the economy to a literal halt.

It would be right around the holidays too :(

Congress is able to function just fine in a government shutdown.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TyrantWD posted:

Doing that would basically be an admission of guilt, and make things even worse for his re-election hopes.

He is probably going to go around offering a big infrastructure plan and then say he can’t work with the Democrats to make it official because of the investigation. There definitely won’t be any shutdowns a year out from the election. The GOP are idiots, but they probably learned that lesson.

Uh

They don't have control of him

He caused the last one

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

my personal view is not holding a trial at all would be more damaging than holding an immediate acquittal vote

Yeah EW I have the same thought. It makes it way more damaging for the GOP because it so obviously looks like they're hiding something. "If he's innocent, why won't they hold the trial" would be the talking point of the day.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Dipshit is sitting down with the Ukrainian President right now.

https://youtu.be/LotFcKcRHcU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1176924146128818178

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

i believe that he's using this as the reason he's officially killing the gun background checks which also strikes me as ... not a wise move

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Man, he really can't stop talking about shady poo poo in front of cameras.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1176923211281420295

Ha

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1176923674978312192

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Man I don't envy Zelensky right now. His national defense hinges on this decidedly unhinged wannabe mobster moron with a mayfly's attention span and negative tact. What is he supposed to say? I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for whatever meeting he had last night leading up to this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beto really needs to drop out of the presidential race and run against this wizened crank already.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Uh

They don't have control of him

He caused the last one

There’s a remote possibility that McConnel walks into the Oval Office and promises Trump a “Yea” vote on impeachment and his swift removal from office, as well as a VP that will refuse to pardon him for his many, many, many crimes. Extremely remote, but could be possible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cornyn also said impeaching would be nullifying the popular will of the voters in 2016, which is hilariously stupid for several reasons

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1176923743911862288

as a reminder the prescription drugs thing was basically trump looking at the democrats plan and going "that sounds good lets do that, people will love that" and republicans going NO NO NO STOP

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

trump suing so he could ignore subpoenas is inarguably impeachable and they didn't start it up. poo poo like not immediately handing over the tax returns shoulda done it alone.

it's good they're finally doing it but there was a lot worse before this.

The politics of this particular crime (getting a foreign power to help you out in an election) suggests that most people think you are wrong. Its why the GOP immediately panicked and started screaming that the Russia stuff was not true, the alternative of trying to argue that its not that bad and who cares if its true is not a viable strategy outside a few nutters.

Ukraine is a lot worse than Russia and seen as a lot worse than anything else Trump has done to this point (whether we agree on that or not) because this time instead of Putin helping candidate Trump on his own because he hated Hillary and Trump happily accepting, he is now allegedly using his office to bully another country into being forced to help him in 2020.

I doubt he'll be removed from office because the redacted memo isn't clear enough for most people, but if we had theoretically an audio of Trump berating Ukraine for not going after Biden and holding military aid over his head in a direct threat, that would be game over, I think.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 25, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is stupid.

Yeah this feels like another standard Democrat AW DARN moment in the making.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

The politics of this particular crime (getting a foreign power to help you out in an election) suggests that most people think you are wrong. Its why the GOP immediately panicked and started screaming that the Russia stuff was not true, the alternative of trying to argue that its not that bad and who cares if its true is not a viable strategy outside a few nutters.

Ukraine is a lot worse than Russia and seen as a lot worse than anything else Trump has done to this point (whether we agree on that or not) is because this time instead of Putin helping Trump on his own because he hated Hillary and Trump happily accepting, he is now allegedly bullying another country into being forced to help him in 2020.

I doubt he'll be impeached because the redacted memo isn't clear enough for most people, but if we had theoretically an audio of Trump berating Ukraine for not going after Biden and hoping military aid over his head in a direct threat, that would be game over, I think.

as a reminder, we still don't have the paper trail showing exactly why the ukraine aid was withheld (we know why, but we don't have the paper showing how it was done) and that is...well, gonna be something

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In any sane reality the emoluments case against Trump alone is so incontrovertibly strong that it would be enough to sink him, but we live in hell and so these fucks happily taunt Democrats by flaunting the fact that they're staying at Trump properties.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump press conference at 4pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoZmo97E-c

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/1176896624385302528?s=20

urge to tweet 'shut the gently caress up, gym jordan' rising

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

evilweasel posted:

you joke but actually yes, it was pelosi's office itself they sent it to (possibly among others)

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1176891940169834499

Just more proof Pelosi is part of the Controlled Opposition :tinfoil:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah this feels like another standard Democrat AW DARN moment in the making.

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/1176921328030494720

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Really looking forward to the full tally of how much taxpayer money Trump will have paid himself, for every weekend he and his entourage spent at one of his properties. I bet it's going to be more money than he had before going into office :mmmhmm:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Apparently trump is using more mob pressure tactics to get Zalensky to exonerate him. Amazing.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1176926850179842048

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wow that sure sounds like consensus to me...said nobody ever. There's still no timetable given so this still doesn't mean anything yet.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So now he's doubling down on the server being in Ukraine?

Or who knows it's just glossolalia at this point.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Time at the receptionist at my House Rep's office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this explains the thinking a little bit:

quote:

Inside the room, Democrats said, Pelosi (Calif.) told colleagues that keeping the inquiry narrowly focused on the Ukraine allegations could help keep the investigation out of the courts, where a slew of investigative matters have been bogged down for months — though she did not rule out ultimately including other episodes in a potential impeachment package.

basically, a lot of the other criminality requires some digging and the trump admin is tying that digging up in the courts, but they've got all they need on ukraine