Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

As further proof that this is a stupid idea, we have 6 tickets open that are along the lines of:

"Can you check if Todd in Accounting has a mail drive installed? He is complaining that Outlook is slow"

Yes, Todd has a mail drive installed already.

CRICKETS IN THE TICKET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What even is online archive and only caching a few months of messages

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Also when I say ticket I mean help desk ticket but we don't actually have a help desk system. We have homemade website where we can basically make a status report on an issue.

However, they aren't tracked, assigned to anyone, the end user can't reply to the ticket to update it, yadda yadda yadda.

Hey can we get some helpdesk software? Spiceworks is free.

WE LIKE HOW THIS SYSTEM WORKS

Also you get bitched out if you leave out a minute detail

But the powers that be rarely, if ever, create or update a ticket

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As someone that recently migrated off of spiceworks, free is too high of a price.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I guess everything picked today to fail!

Wifi went out at one store, APC battery backup unit blew up at another store, and the phone system at another store decided to fail, so their phone system keeps turning off/on. (power supply module likely faulty)

And then the corp. office phone system crashed and had to be rebooted. (for the first time ever)

And to top it off, we made the discovery today, apparently a month ago, our inventory/pricing manager hosed up a pricing import and managed to insert the item number into the alternate cost of about 1200 items. Over time as these items have had inventory adjustments and average cost adjustments the hosed up pricing has permeated everything about the items. Making quite the mess in the database.

I don't drink, but I might start after today.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Fool posted:

As someone that recently migrated off of spiceworks, free is too high of a price.

As someone who is stuck using what was the first search result on sourceforge for free ticket system ten years ago, at least it would be a professional looking product.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I don't want to hear a single complaint about ticketing from anyone who has never had to use SchoolDude. No customization of the submission form, no batch editing of tickets, delayed email notifications, no mobile site, an unusable mobile app, and the entire thing is just so goddamn loving slow. I have actual daydreams about ZenDesk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"A bunch of us that don't know anything discussed this 1 year ago and we decided (as a group) that this was the best way to implement this. So we're not going to discuss it further even if new people have ideas on how to make it work better"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I work in desktop and in between tickets I thought I'd explore using Powershell to automate some tasks, mostly adding users through AD since we have a load of new ones coming soon. Was told that it wouldn't be worth our time because it should be handled by the server guys because of the complications and that there were two tickets sitting the queue to clean up old disabled AD accounts.

Holy gently caress do I hate being micromanaged by my counterparts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

cage-free egghead posted:

I work in desktop and in between tickets I thought I'd explore using Powershell to automate some tasks, mostly adding users through AD since we have a load of new ones coming soon. Was told that it wouldn't be worth our time because it should be handled by the server guys because of the complications and that there were two tickets sitting the queue to clean up old disabled AD accounts.

Holy gently caress do I hate being micromanaged by my counterparts.

Don't ask permission for poo poo like this. Just do it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

Don't ask permission for poo poo like this. Just do it.

I didn't even ask for permission, I was just working on it and felt proud of the stuff I did because I'm new to PS and nobody else on the team does it so I thought I'd share it on our Teams channel. Instead I was met with two instances of "Well it's great but... we have other work to do" after which I immediately got pissed and vented to my director.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Use PowerShell for new account creation.
Use PowerShell for adding end-points to the domain.
Use PowerShell for killing old accounts.
Use PowerShell for all the things.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

I didn't even ask for permission, I was just working on it and felt proud of the stuff I did because I'm new to PS and nobody else on the team does it so I thought I'd share it on our Teams channel. Instead I was met with two instances of "Well it's great but... we have other work to do" after which I immediately got pissed and vented to my director.

Jesus christ I feel like I"m going through this now. We're in the process of getting a new 2019 RDS farm setup. The Jr admin setup a session host so we can clone it out when we're ready. Our manager is having him engage a local lovely MSP to setup the broker and gateway server, a thing that would literally take an hour tops. He's on the 2nd day of getting info together for them and about to sign the work order.

It's been like this every time I've brought up little stuff we need to do. The response is always 'can we farm this out?'. I mean yeah we can, but the time it would take me to call and talk to a guy at the MSP, get it scheduled, etc. I could have done all of it and then some. I think they're getting some pressure from the CIO about reducing our backlog but lol this isn't the way to do it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

IMO, not using PowerShell for Windows admin tasks in tyol 2019 is a huge red flag and a sign that someone is going to have a nice long helpdesk career.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Jesus christ I feel like I"m going through this now. We're in the process of getting a new 2019 RDS farm setup. The Jr admin setup a session host so we can clone it out when we're ready. Our manager is having him engage a local lovely MSP to setup the broker and gateway server, a thing that would literally take an hour tops. He's on the 2nd day of getting info together for them and about to sign the work order.

It's been like this every time I've brought up little stuff we need to do. The response is always 'can we farm this out?'. I mean yeah we can, but the time it would take me to call and talk to a guy at the MSP, get it scheduled, etc. I could have done all of it and then some. I think they're getting some pressure from the CIO about reducing our backlog but lol this isn't the way to do it.

Nothing like spending money on MSP and internal support to do very small tasks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bob Morales, and anyone else who is looking for a job and might be open to relocating to Ann Arbor, my former department just posted 40 new job openings that you should check out:

(cross post to the SH/SC jobs thread)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&pagenumber=103#post498587545

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
One of our new helpdesk guys showed me a couple of his PowerShell scripts and asked for help getting them working so I immediately opened up our GitLab to him and gave him my copy of PowerShell in a Month of Lunches. Why would you not want to cultivate that in your people?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some people get beaten down and see professional development as an reason to be given more responsibility, which is to be avoided.

But scripting as an IT worker? Man never apologize for that. The best admins are the ones who look like they're doing nothing because they automated it all.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not pissing me off: Moved to SoCal, frontier is offering 500/500 for $40 a month. Downloading at 65MB/s is wonderful.

Edit: And no bandwidth caps.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

In my experience, people that do poo poo like that, try to suppress team members from doing clever poo poo to improve their own workflow, are a mixture of insecurity with their own mediocrity that they don't think of stuff like that nor have the motivation to do anything about it, and fearful of anything that might change the well-worn rut of whatever workflow they're already accustomed to, regardless of how helpful a change could potentially be. People that have given up on life and are reconciled/content that the work they're doing now is the ceiling of all they're capable of.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Antioch posted:

One of our new helpdesk guys showed me a couple of his PowerShell scripts and asked for help getting them working so I immediately opened up our GitLab to him and gave him my copy of PowerShell in a Month of Lunches. Why would you not want to cultivate that in your people?

My boss hates anything he does not understand. Including powershell.
And yet we are an all (or as much as possible) Windows environment.
We have a single server for every thing/service/database/whatever, a full install of regular ol' Windows server for each one.
So much wasted space.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Antioch posted:

I wish I knew PowerShell better. I've got that book, but I haven't had a chance to read it because everything is always an emergency everyday.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss hates anything he does not understand. Including powershell.
And yet we are an all (or as much as possible) Windows environment.
We have a single server for every thing/service/database/whatever, a full install of regular ol' Windows server for each one.
So much wasted space.
We're in this same position, and I just brought up containerizing at a meeting where we were discussing having to pay so much for licensing for server software (monitoring, malware prevention, patching & deployment, etc.). It would probably be a thing we may look at for 2022 or so; assuming I have zero experience with it, where's a good place to start for an almost-entirely-Windows server environment (we have maybe half-a-dozen Linux servers, 150ish Windows)?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Trying to get a SSD for someone who's old laptop is slow as gently caress. Ops messages me "is it a desktop or laptop? I think warehouse only has desktop SSDs in now"

HOW THE gently caress DO YOU MAKE MORE MONEY THAN ME AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I once had a guy with a title akin to "Network Architect" reply to an email with a text log attachment asking me to re-send it as a PDF, because you see that .txt file opens in Notepad and then we have to scroll horizontally to see everything!

I spent a while pondering how to write an email telling him about the myriad better solutions to this, but decided it was a better career move to just give in to the idiocy and move on to a different project ASAP.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

PremiumSupport posted:

I wish I knew PowerShell better. I've got that book, but I haven't had a chance to read it because everything is always an emergency everyday.

GO TAKE YOUR LUNCH. You're entitled and will help your own mental health.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

5er posted:

In my experience, people that do poo poo like that, try to suppress team members from doing clever poo poo to improve their own workflow, are a mixture of insecurity with their own mediocrity that they don't think of stuff like that nor have the motivation to do anything about it, and fearful of anything that might change the well-worn rut of whatever workflow they're already accustomed to, regardless of how helpful a change could potentially be. People that have given up on life and are reconciled/content that the work they're doing now is the ceiling of all they're capable of.

Yeah, that's the vibe I'm getting from them, too. It's a small team, but they've been here for ~4 years working together and I have already had other instances of them saying, "Well we've historically done it this way..." numerous times. Them having more tenure makes it seem like they run the department, especially now considering our manager just got another job elsewhere so we now report to the director.

We did have a meeting with everyone and our director basically said that as long as users are taken care of, if it benefits the team, definitely don't be afraid to think outside the box. So I spent most of this afternoon creating scripts that already helped me knock out a bunch of poo poo I'd normally just RDP to do. My old manager also bought me the Powershell Lunches book on the company's dime so like hell I'm just going to learn this at home.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Yeah, that's the vibe I'm getting from them, too. It's a small team, but they've been here for ~4 years working together and I have already had other instances of them saying, "Well we've historically done it this way..." numerous times. Them having more tenure makes it seem like they run the department, especially now considering our manager just got another job elsewhere so we now report to the director.

Minus the supervisor leaving, this is my problem. The supervisor in question (not mine) actively aides this mentality and our director/VP are getting really loving sick of it so...

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I gotta vent right quick about a hosed up thing.

So I work in a place that is getting turbo hosed by the boeing situation.

We're laying off a poo poo ton of people in a week and everyone knows. Leadership has been super transparent about that.

What's insanely hosed up is IT is being asked to quietly term out some folks and we aren't allowed to talk about it and like half the IT team knows and the other half wasn't told but all the users are in our disabled OU anyway so folks could stumble across it if they looked at all in that OU.

Like i'm so loving frustrated because leadership is being patted on the back for being transparent but then we're doing poo poo like this and I don't know how to handle it. My brain is screaming.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

I gotta vent right quick about a hosed up thing.

So I work in a place that is getting turbo hosed by the boeing situation.

We're laying off a poo poo ton of people in a week and everyone knows. Leadership has been super transparent about that.

What's insanely hosed up is IT is being asked to quietly term out some folks and we aren't allowed to talk about it and like half the IT team knows and the other half wasn't told but all the users are in our disabled OU anyway so folks could stumble across it if they looked at all in that OU.

Like i'm so loving frustrated because leadership is being patted on the back for being transparent but then we're doing poo poo like this and I don't know how to handle it. My brain is screaming.

Been there, it sucks. But part of ITs job is to keep confidential info confidential.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

chin up everything sucks posted:

Been there, it sucks. But part of ITs job is to keep confidential info confidential.

Well what made it more weird than usual was one of the leadership team was like "hey why isn't this person in the address book" because it turns out they hadn't been told either.

Edit: also how can someone no longer working for a company period be confidential? Like their poo poo isn't at their desk and their accounts disabled. Like I have no idea why or how or etc someone left or was fired and I still don't because im not HR but like if someone asks me to my face "hey where's X" its kinda hard to straight up lie and say "dunno"

gently caress capitalism. This poo poo is disgusting and i'm so loving done.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 26, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You don't say I dunno, you just direct them to ask your manager. Then the buck gets passed further and further up the chain until the people who are claiming to be transparent can either live up to what they are saying or lie.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

spoiler: they'll lie, and not be held accountable

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I dont know why this is surprising me. I started working during the great recession. Was laid off back then and dealt with all this poo poo then.

I guess I needed to rant for a half a second. I'm just mad. I'm mad that this is still a thing that happens.

I'm mad at this stupid country and this stupid system. I'm mad that workers have zero control over this. I'm mad at all the stupid pricks that have always had jobs because their daddies or mommies and think that when people get laid off its their own fault.

Also for a real on topic poo poo that pisses me off: gently caress Crestron. gently caress their stupid faces. I can't download their toolbox with out being a vendor so I can't add a new option to our system for a room and instead i'm just writing down instructions "use input 2 and switch the receiver to x" because we can't afford a vendor to come out right now.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I hear you. have you considered building a small guillotine and setting it up in the conference room?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

spoiler: they'll lie, and not be held accountable

Reminds me of this all-hands meeting quite a few years back, when this upper-level executive went full Always Sunny Charlie Day conspiracy network to explain that it was political unrest in the Middle East causing a slump in consumer electronics sales in Europe.

Not, say, the copious product reviews complaining about new lows in quality from our junk. Nor did it matter that the equivalent consumer electronics our competitors were selling, were not having a slump in sales themselves.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

xzzy posted:

Some people get beaten down and see professional development as an reason to be given more responsibility, which is to be avoided.

But scripting as an IT worker? Man never apologize for that. The best admins are the ones who look like they're doing nothing because they automated it all.

Recently had a meeting involving the IT Director of a sister studio of ours, and he demoed how their on-boarding works (HR submits a JIRA ServiceDesk ticket, Automation happens and it spits out an account) along with some of the inner workings to which I semi yelled WHY AREN'T WE DOING THIS AAAAHHHH.

I finally got access to O365 after about two years, our process is along the line of;
- HR (maybe) Updates an SVN controlled CSV file
- IT need to periodically look at this file as there's no warning
- Log onto a VM jumpbox with an Admin level account
- Clear out two files on jumpbox
- Clear out cached credentials on jumpbox
- Copy info from HR CSV onto PS Script CSV file
- Run PS Script created by some dude who left loving ages ago

I got shown it and kinda figured we would be doing some weird bullshit

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We have a proper HCM tool, our workflow is:

HR hires a person using the HCM tool by clicking a button
All of their info is pulled from their onboarding questionnaire, and their employee record is created
The HCM tool's integration component calls a PS script that creates the account in AD
Same PS script provisions O365

We literally just have to make sure there were no fuckups and don't actually have to lift a finger during onboarding as long as the automation works.

And yes, I am just bragging.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
We do it pretty much the same way, with an additional step of emailing the new hire with important links and so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The way we do it is by getting a ticket from HR, manually creating an O365 account through Exchange Admin Server, wait until it syncs with our DC, configure the account in AD to map their personal drive, hop onto 0365 Admin Center and assign them an E1 or E3 license, and then email a picture of a manually created password to the supervisor for their first log in.

I am the first person to implement any sort of automating at the desktop support level, our networking guys do run some automation stuff but don't touch user accounts so...

I just made my first script that moves a specified folder or file to where ever else you specify. I am the most veteran user of Powershell so that should tell you a bit about where we're at with automating desktop stuff.