Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Foils are great because I have no practical use for them and other people want to pay dumb amounts of money for some of them, everyone is a winner.

I feel sad for you if you want to play with foils though, it's not feasible for only the cheapest and laziest of reasons. I would also be heated about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
when you think about it the cheap, lazy, and undesirable foil implementation on Arena is very faithful to the original.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It was my first summer living in a basement apartment, so we didn't know to set up a dehumidifier until it was too late. All my foils that weren't double-sleeved in a deck or box (so nothing more than bulk foil commons) got warped like crazy... except some Avacyn Restored foils. Somehow they're straight as a board. Whatever they were doing in that set, they should bring it back.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PleasantDirge posted:

Foils are great because I have no practical use for them and other people want to pay dumb amounts of money for some of them, everyone is a winner.

I feel sad for you if you want to play with foils though, it's not feasible for only the cheapest and laziest of reasons. I would also be heated about it

Yup. Done it twice now. No idea how a card goes from 5 to 300 because it’s alt art and foil, but I’ll 100% take a bunch of cash and find a copy of the regular card to play with. It was something like half the cost of my humans deck from a promo pack.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
A guy cracked a foil wrenn and six at my lgs. His plan was to sell it and buy three normal ones

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

Legit question, what's the card where the 7E art is the best version

Lord of Atlantis

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

ilmucche posted:

A guy cracked a foil wrenn and six at my lgs. His plan was to sell it and buy three normal ones

Pretty decent return on investment. I'm still a little miffed that I missed selling the foil Hogaak I pulled when I could've gotten nearly $50 for it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LifeLynx posted:

It was my first summer living in a basement apartment, so we didn't know to set up a dehumidifier until it was too late. All my foils that weren't double-sleeved in a deck or box (so nothing more than bulk foil commons) got warped like crazy... except some Avacyn Restored foils. Somehow they're straight as a board. Whatever they were doing in that set, they should bring it back.

miracle joke here

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

randomly cracked a pack of MH and pulled a hogaak. Feels bad.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

No Wave posted:

when you think about it the cheap, lazy, and undesirable foil implementation on Arena is very faithful to the original.

Have they addressed why Arena starts to run like dogshit after you play more than 1-2 matches in a row yet? I'm assuming this isn't a problem if you have a relatively new computer or tablet but they really ought to figure this poo poo out since the Beta is apparently ending and we're getting the "official" launch.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Have they addressed why Arena starts to run like dogshit after you play more than 1-2 matches in a row yet? I'm assuming this isn't a problem if you have a relatively new computer or tablet but they really ought to figure this poo poo out since the Beta is apparently ending and we're getting the "official" launch.

It's still a problem on new decently powerful laptops.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilmucche posted:

That’s the biggest win I could think of from MH1. And W&6 is one of those cards I kick myself for not getting a play set of day 1.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Retromancer posted:

Desleeving my never-cast hogaaks (that I preordered as a potential 2 of in dredge) and two playsets of looting was a sad day.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Retromancer posted:

Play it in legacy

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Yeah, if you still want to make use of your Hogaaks AND your Bridges From Below, there's an LED-less/mana-less dredge deck that just put up results at GP ATL, and is even cheaper than the burn deck that made it to T4 also at GP ATL.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2288040#paper

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rkajdi posted:

That’s the biggest win I could think of from MH1. And W&6 is one of those cards I kick myself for not getting a play set of day 1.

They were pre-ordering for 15 bucks but it didn't last for all that long.

To be honest the more I play with wrenn and six the more I look forward to replacing it with something else as jund evolves. Sure it upgrades what the last hope did with dorks and other small stuff, but the land side doesn't get maximized well in the deck. If only the mana would you let you use field of ruin.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
W6 will never get replaced with another card. It's like insanely broken as a two mana play.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

LifeLynx posted:

Avacyn Restored foils also look way different than any other foils.

Mat Cauthon posted:

lol naw arena runs like poo poo on my reasonably beefy gaming PC, it's a software problem

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sickening posted:

To be honest the more I play with wrenn and six the more I look forward to replacing it with something else as jund evolves. Sure it upgrades what the last hope did with dorks and other small stuff, but the land side doesn't get maximized well in the deck. If only the mana would you let you use field of ruin.

I, too, look forward to the day W&6 gets banned in both Modern and Legacy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

Sure it upgrades what the last hope did with dorks and other small stuff, but the land side doesn't get maximized well in the deck. If only the mana would you let you use field of ruin.

I personally think W6 is fine and I like the format with it in but “this two mana walker is only a slight upgrade over this three mana walker” is not a great argument

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

please make her a bear noble

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Katana Gomai posted:

I, too, look forward to the day W&6 gets banned in both Modern and Legacy.

I think it's fine in Modern, but it's getting obnoxious in Legacy. Already the 3-4 color piles that card has birthed have risen to 18% of the meta. Probably closer to 25% if you aggregate the various different versions that count as "X cards changed so it's a different deck".

For reference, the 2nd most prevalent deck in Legacy, Miracles, is only 5%.

I'd have to pull stats from back then to compare, but this feels a lot like where we were before Deathrite ate its ban because 4 color Leovold piles rose to similar prevalence, and those decks didn't even warp the format to the same extent Wrenn does (e.g. how much of Legacy is 1 toughness creatures he can ping, looping Wasteland, negating things like Wasteland and Rishadan Port that keep greedy mana in check, etc.).

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

please make her a bear noble

Did they say why she isn’t already? Her flavour text says she was coronated; she is definitely a literal Queen among Bears!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

vegetables posted:

Did they say why she isn’t already? Her flavour text says she was coronated; she is definitely a literal Queen among Bears!

type doesnt technically exist until ELD release day

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

vegetables posted:

Noble didn't yet exist as a creature type

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Probably down to the linearity of time, due to Noble not having become a creature type yet when MH1 came out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

InterrupterJones posted:

Yeah, if you still want to make use of your Hogaaks AND your Bridges From Below, there's an LED-less/mana-less dredge deck that just put up results at GP ATL, and is even cheaper than the burn deck that made it to T4 also at GP ATL.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2288040#paper

I’m gonna ask a really stupid noob question. How do you get this deck started at all on t1? Seven cards in hand, no graveyard, 20 life. The only things it looks like you could do are cycle a Street Wraith to get a creature in the graveyard, or play second and discard eot to get one card in your graveyard. Obviously Hogaak and Bridge from Below do plenty of stuff, but how the gently caress do you start getting your graveyard full in the first place to use those?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Arivia posted:

I’m gonna ask a really stupid noob question. How do you get this deck started at all on t1? Seven cards in hand, no graveyard, 20 life. The only things it looks like you could do are cycle a Street Wraith to get a creature in the graveyard, or play second and discard eot to get one card in your graveyard. Obviously Hogaak and Bridge from Below do plenty of stuff, but how the gently caress do you start getting your graveyard full in the first place to use those?

You take the draw, keep 7, and discard

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Tulul posted:

Probably down to the linearity of time, due to Noble not having become a creature type yet when MH1 came out.

No, I mean that Gatherer updated and she’s not been ennobled, while lots of human royalty has.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Arivia posted:

You can Cabal Therapy targetting yourself. But yeah this looks like a slow dredge list. Legacy dredge should feel faster and more broken.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaKeny1 posted:

You can Cabal Therapy targetting yourself. But yeah this looks like a slow dredge list. Legacy dredge should feel faster and more broken.

You can't even do that until turn 2 at the earliest, so it's a hell of a mess.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Arivia posted:

You can't even do that until turn 2 at the earliest, so it's a hell of a mess.

Manaless Dredge is just not real Magic, it's some nightmare universe MTG deck.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

JerryLee posted:

Legit question, what's the card where the 7E art is the best version

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

Manaless Dredge is just not real Magic, it's some nightmare universe MTG deck.

Now you're making me want to play it on a lark since I have all of the expensive cards already. Just say go fish or something whenever you discard something.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 25, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

vegetables posted:

No, I mean that Gatherer updated and she’s not been ennobled, while lots of human royalty has.

oh poo poo you're right

Lots of vampire nobles

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they don't consider lord of atlantis or goblin king to be nobles :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dread Warlock is the only Warlock they retro-added and they didn't give peasant to any old creatures even though there are a bunch of merchants and inkeepers who could have gotten the type

for shame wizards, let me do the typing thing

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
maybe they haven't finish updating it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

for shame wizards, let me do the typing thing
The real shame is they don't take this stuff as an excuse to reprint old cards

Except that mediocre six drop, that got to be a dinosaur with a proper type line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

dun dun dun!