Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Yiggy posted:

I bet Japan is one. Shinzo Abe has been such a lickspittle and at a few junctures been the guy Trump looked to for his token support on the world stage.

Also a good motive, Trump could very easily tell Japan that he's not going to help protect them from North Korea unless they play ball. All the while he buddies up with 'rocket man' launching more and more longer range missiles right over Japan.

edit: Japanese tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A billion pinocchois for this quote. Lindsay has no friends.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/JoaquinCastrotx/status/1177000181629423616?s=19

:yeshaha:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I call BS. Linsdey Graham has no friends.

Edit: Beaten, but it always bears repeating.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

There were unbelievable facts in the Mueller report and it didn't even move the needle.

I think it helps that this scenario is fairly simple and straightforward, with only a couple moving parts and a very clear timeline of what happened and when. Everything surrounding the meetings and communications during the campaign, and the obstruction afterwards, adds up to a pretty complicated web of stuff that's hard to explain succinctly.

Here, it's simple, in the open, with both sides of the conversation admitting it happened, in language that's clear enough that anyone denying it was a quid pro quo sounds like a lunatic. It's much easier to explain, and most normal people can see that extortion for the purpose of getting a foreign country to do a hit job on a possible opposing candidate is bad without needing a whole lot of background.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Zophar posted:

There's just no way to credibly claim there's nothing there when the President literally does the crime in a clearly obvious way.

But up until the full report came out, they were doing exactly that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fraction Jackson posted:

I think it helps that this scenario is fairly simple and straightforward, with only a couple moving parts and a very clear timeline of what happened and when. Everything surrounding the meetings and communications during the campaign, and the obstruction afterwards, adds up to a pretty complicated web of stuff that's hard to explain succinctly.

Here, it's simple, in the open, with both sides of the conversation admitting it happened, in language that's clear enough that anyone denying it was a quid pro quo sounds like a lunatic. It's much easier to explain, and most normal people can see that extortion for the purpose of getting a foreign country to do a hit job on a possible opposing candidate is bad without needing a whole lot of background.

also, the story dropped in the course of 24 hours instead of two years

the fact that the crime can be summarized in a headline is extremely important though, yeah

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sub Par posted:

But up until the full report came out, they were doing exactly that.

They weren't doing it credibly

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Fraction Jackson posted:

Plus I think the speed at which all of this came out helped. We first heard of a mysterious whistleblower, what, a week ago? Ten days?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The silence from Republicans who’ve seen the report is deafening. I can’t be the only one to notice right?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Fraction Jackson posted:

They're going to land on "Biden was actually doing a corruption though, Trump did the right thing" within 48 hours and it's probably going to stick.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

They're going to land on "Biden was actually doing a corruption though, Trump did the right thing" within 48 hours and it's probably going to stick.

I don't think so, Tim

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Plus I think the speed at which all of this came out helped. We first heard of a mysterious whistleblower, what, a week ago? Ten days?
I want to say it's been a month but it's impossible to say, what with the time dilation and all. I suppose it depends on your frame of reference.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Majorian posted:

Biden's got a pretty long history of corruption. That said, there doesn't seem to be much of that from him in this particular case.

I'm not a particular fan of Biden. Hell I thought he was a lovely pick for Obama's VP to begin with and should have been jettisoned in 2012 in favor of someone younger and I sure as hell don't want him to win the nomination as he's way too conservative not to mention that he's obviously sun setting and his brain is mush. But do you have anything to back up that allegation other than right wing hit pieces and wild conjecture?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The silence from Republicans who’ve seen the report is deafening. I can’t be the only one to notice right?

Nope. It's very telling. But I guarantee you there's a bunch of frantic Republicans in some rooms on Capitol Hill right now trying to figure out what the hell to do and how to be on the same page and deflect to Hillary or something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nope. It's very telling. But I guarantee you there's a bunch of frantic Republicans in some rooms on Capitol Hill right now trying to figure out what the hell to do and how to be on the same page and deflect to Hillary or something.

Hopefully they cc Dems on the talking points email again.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think so, Tim
They're already starting to. I don't know that it's going to be particularly effective, but that's going to be the spin. It'll work on the base, at least.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

they've been exclusively doing it on Fox because they know Fox's literal intended purpose is to convince republican voters impeachment is bad. It's why it was founded and it's finally getting to do it.

It was founded during the impeachment of Clinton to convince republican voters impeachment was bad? Do you have more information on this?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not only the elected officials, but even the Fox news mouth piece is beaten down

they've had on Graham and Collins already and very specifically neither of them mentioned the whistleblower report to leave a plausible out

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Trump also has dementia and is going to get worse every single day.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

There were unbelievable facts in the Mueller report and it didn't even move the needle.

The biggest problem with Mueller's report I think is that it only really gave Dems the options of:

- move for impeachment on obstruction of justice,
- deny the report's findings re: Trump actively and directly engaging in collusion and try again to pin collusion.

Ultimately, impeachment is reliant on public opinion and I don't think either of the above would have resonated with people as much as what's ongoing with Ukraine and Trump literally, on record, shaking down another head of state using taxpayer funds for BUTHEREMAILS.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Fox News was founded before Clinton Impeachment. I only know this because I specifically remember watching Fox News when they announced Princess Diana died.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

I’d also like to point out that anyone suggesting the election is being relitigated is ignoring the fact that: this was about trump thinking a non existent Ukrainian CEO of an American company might have dirt on Hillary Clinton’s emails

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hmm, Leschenko. For context, he is the same person who published the Manafort/Yanukovich ledger. He also tends to be treated extremely well by Western journalists because he is an ex-journalist himself.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Catalyst-proof posted:

I’d also like to point out that anyone suggesting the election is being relitigated is ignoring the fact that: this was about trump thinking a non existent Ukrainian CEO of an American company might have dirt on Hillary Clinton’s emails

Facts to chuds are like light to cockroaches: both make them scurry back into the dark holes that they crawled out of.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
They had about 2 years to muddy the waters on the Mueller Report. They've had almost no time to get ahead of this, especially since Trump is just whole sale admitting his crimes and giving out the evidence to everyone who wants to see this. Hard to muddy a pool of blood with the shark still tearing up bodies in it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Stereotype posted:

Trump also has dementia and is going to get worse every single day.

It's the durn Democrats, they want to obstruct our guns and legalize crime

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

the first rule is actually you don't send all of your talking points to the other side

Yes but like most things to do with the Trump presidency, it was an unwritten rule everyone just assumed everyone else knew to follow that they realized they’re going to have to spell it out in small words for the future.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve noticed that as well. Sasse was the only comment I saw and it was not helpful to Trump.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

“I’ve got it! Do you guys remember ‘Mad Libs’?!”

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/aaronblake/status/1176991534908153856?s=21

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is this -- am I feeling hope? It's been so long.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Facts to chuds are like light to cockroaches: both make them scurry back into the dark holes that they crawled out of.

Meh, mostly they just ignore them and claim that no, actually it's dark. Facts are like organic "natural" insect repellent to cockroaches.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Taerkar posted:

Do you not? Why are you assuming that there is any?

That sort of thinking plays right into Both-Sides and whataboutism.

Im just not sure. I wouldnt put it past trump administration to just use this as a way to create dirt out of whole cloth

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mahoning posted:

“I’ve got it! Do you guys remember ‘Mad Libs’?!”

"And it works, because the LIBS are MAD! Get it?? They'll be SO owned!!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

Is this -- am I feeling hope? It's been so long.

Seize that feeling and hold it tight

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
What is this feeling that I vaguely recall from eons ago? Is this... Happiness?

Haha efb

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
*sniff* I never thought I'd live long enough to see the Great Mattering.

It's so beautiful.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
I wonder how Q-Anons are reacting to all of this. Is this the last gasp of the deep state before the indictments finally make it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Um holy poo poo

He is really going to get impeached lmao