Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fox news was founded in '96 but all the stuff leading up to it (the rise of conservative AM radio, takeover of the legal profession, etc) was birthed from nixon's resignation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this is not how i would have predicted the Mattering would happen but lol

They got Capone on income tax evasion, so...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

fox news was founded in '96 but all the stuff leading up to it (the rise of conservative AM radio, takeover of the legal profession, etc) was birthed from nixon's resignation.

Throw Roger Ailes himself in there.

(and then throw his body into a drainage ditch or someplace equally unpleasant, please)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This isn't quite the Great Mattering yet, but it is the climb to the top of the rollercoaster. :getin:

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ham posted:

I wonder how Q-Anons are reacting to all of this. Is this the last gasp of the deep state before the indictments finally make it out?

NUH UH! Fake news!

-fox news comment feed all day today and every day

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't even know what to do with myself

poo poo is HAPPENING whaaaaaaat

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

They're going to land on "Biden was actually doing a corruption though, Trump did the right thing" within 48 hours and it's probably going to stick.

They're already trying it, but whether it sticks or not is a completely different thing. Unlike usual, it doesn't seem like they're able to sneak the spin through without pushback. People like Chuck Todd aren't buying it they way they usually do. Even FOX seems way off-balance.

I don't think the pressure will ever get to where a Senate trial could ever result in conviction, but the fact that this is such an open-and-shut case seems to be allowing a lot of damage to be done before they can get their defense straight, and I don't think anyone other than the true believers really want to defend Trump on this one. They have to, but they'd rather not. And I think that has an effect as well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It’s like that scene in the Matrix, only instead of turning into Agent Smith, they all turn into John McCain.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Is there anything that's stopping McConnell from squashing impeachment hearings?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Willo567 posted:

Is there anything that's stopping McConnell from squashing impeachment hearings?

Other than it sinking any hope republicans have in 2020, no.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Willo567 posted:

Shame

:lol:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Willo567 posted:

The fact that they're in the House and not the Senate?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Fraction Jackson posted:

They're already trying it, but whether it sticks or not is a completely different thing. Unlike usual, it doesn't seem like they're able to sneak the spin through without pushback. People like Chuck Todd aren't buying it they way they usually do. Even FOX seems way off-balance.

I don't think the pressure will ever get to where a Senate trial could ever result in conviction, but the fact that this is such an open-and-shut case seems to be allowing a lot of damage to be done before they can get their defense straight, and I don't think anyone other than the true believers really want to defend Trump on this one. They have to, but they'd rather not. And I think that has an effect as well.

I want o say this has happened before, and they usually stabilize once the talking points are issued.

But we know they already issued the talking points this time and they’re not working.

This whole day is just wild.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Willo567 posted:

He's senate, the investigation is taking place in the house.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Willo567 posted:

His total lack of authority in the House

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My mom saved the newspaper front page from when Nixon got impeached. I hope I get the chance to save one for Donald fuckin' Trump.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Willo567 posted:

The senate has nothing to do with impeachment. He could potentially prevent the senate from holding the trial, after the impeachment is over, but that would involve an actual up-or-down vote on overturning the current rules on how the senate conducts impeachment trials, rather than just quietly not scheduling anything

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Arist posted:

His total lack of authority in the House

They probably mean if he's impeached and its moves on to trial.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There are lots of rules that sternly suggest that the Senate must perform the hearings; even that they must hear the full evidence, without interruption, under penalty of arrest.

So in other words, the rulebook says a dog can't play basketball.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

The senate has nothing to do with impeachment. He could potentially prevent the senate from holding the trial, after the impeachment is over, but that would involve an actual up-or-down vote on overturning the current rules on how the senate conducts impeachment trials, rather than just quietly not scheduling anything

I thought that was provisioned in the Constitution, not Senate rules?

e. Guess I'm wrong.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

This isn't quite the Great Mattering yet, but it is the climb to the top of the rollercoaster. :getin:

"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

I thought that was provisioned in the Constitution, not Senate rules?

e. Guess I'm wrong.

This is what the constitution has to say on the matter:

quote:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments.

so theoretically the senate could just choose not the exercise that power. That is against current senate rules but nothing more than that, I think

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Jesus Christ. I really hate to burst the bubble here but if you think anything is going to happen with this I have magic beans to sell you.

Impeachment will never come to a vote in the house.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/mattzap/status/1177007362177155072

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Still stunned at how differently this day could have gone if Trump didn't give out that transcript without counsel. Wild to think that he's gone through so much trouble to remove oversight on the Executive and call his own shots and the first thing he does with that freedom is fall into a hole.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

CelestialScribe posted:

Jesus Christ. I really hate to burst the bubble

Nah, you enjoy it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

cheetah7071 posted:

The senate has nothing to do with impeachment.

They hold the trial after the house votes to impeach with the chief justice of the SC presiding. Removal of office requires 2/3s of the senate.

The house impeachs, but without the senate enforcing removal it does nothing (directly, as it were, it still Matters).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Spun Dog posted:

Nah, you enjoy it.

Also he knows nothing about our system of government, ignore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cr0y posted:

Is this squid go pro?

No this is

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Dick Trauma posted:

My mom saved the newspaper front page from when Nixon got impeached. I hope I get the chance to save one for Donald fuckin' Trump.

I think I still have that and the Agnew one somewhere. NYT.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mendrian posted:

There are lots of rules that sternly suggest that the Senate must perform the hearings; even that they must hear the full evidence, without interruption, under penalty of arrest.

So in other words, the rulebook says a dog can't play basketball.

maybe I'm missing the joke but no rules like you describe exist and even if they did, a majority could throw them out in a heartbeat

1) a procedure that at least looks like a trial if you squint
2) with the chief justice at least sitting in the chair in the middle of things
3) and a vote

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mattzap/status/1177007362177155072

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Zophar posted:

Still stunned at how differently this day could have gone if Trump didn't give out that transcript without counsel. Wild to think that he's gone through so much trouble to remove oversight on the Executive and call his own shots and the first thing he does with that freedom is fall into a hole.

His counsel is Rudy, so who’s to say he didn’t consult him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Because Barr works for Trump. Barr's been pretty clear about that from the start through his actions with the DOJ.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

CelestialScribe posted:

Jesus Christ. I really hate to burst the bubble here but if you think anything is going to happen with this I have magic beans to sell you.

I can see a strong argument for Trump not getting removed, but why would you be so certain as to impeachment? Pelosi has put all the eggs in this basket.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

CelestialScribe posted:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pollyanna posted:

I want to get off Mr. Trump's Wild Ride

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

I just remembered that Trump wields the pardon.

It could get Barr, and others, off the hook here.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CommieGIR posted:

Because Barr works for Trump. Barr's been pretty clear about that from the start through his actions with the DOJ.

Yeah I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ham posted:

I can see a strong argument for Trump not getting removed, but why would you be so certain as to impeachment? Pelosi has put all the eggs in this basket.

celestialscribe has a long history of being hilariously wrong about elections in this thread, so i assume this is no different