Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Then I'll just take my combative tone and see myself out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

LividLiquid posted:

Then I'll just take my combative tone and see myself out!

it is cool :respek:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There’s poo poo under the ring because wrestlers are all crazy people and they put things under there, like a prematch pissing contest. A smart promoter would figure out how to work this into a hype video. Maybe even work in side bets on who poops or fucks under the ring.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

coconono posted:

There’s poo poo under the ring because wrestlers are all crazy people and they put things under there, like a prematch pissing contest. A smart promoter would figure out how to work this into a hype video. Maybe even work in side bets on who poops or fucks under the ring.

That’s what I always assumed. The wrestlers just put it there before the show because he knows how badly he wants to gently caress someone up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coconono posted:

those are props not side bets.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
it isn't that complicated of an answer to me. the promoters put them there and the wrestlers know about it. even in kayfabe, promoters are still bloodthirsty carnies. also functions as a contingency plan if a heel on the side of management gets into a hosed situation and they need something to get them the DQ, get the gently caress out of there, and inflict damage on the babyface all in one go

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is anyone going to the mr. hands memorial show on october 11th

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Tables always made sense in the ECW arena because it was a bingo hall, and on indy shows, they use them to do meet and greets and signings and concessions, but why are there just random tables under every ring that just, like, live there on wrestling shows?

Doors are an even bigger stretch and don't make sense at all ever.

Doors are there because wrestlers want to use them as weapons.

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

i figure the tables are for in case the announcers lose THEIR tables, because wrestlers using them is a time honored tradition that doesn't, in and of itself, take a stretch to justify.

otherwise, 'wrestlers are crazy, promoters are bloodthirsty, and there are weapons in easy reach to satisfy both parties' feels fair enough, even if you do have to make that connection yourself

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The heel hid the doors under the ring so that he could put someone through it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the heel tricked the babyface into hiding the door under the ring and then used it on the babyface. The babyface was so shocked at the turn of events he meekly laid on the table while the heel taunted the crowd.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

coconono posted:

the heel tricked the babyface into hiding the door under the ring and then used it on the babyface. The babyface was so shocked at the turn of events he meekly laid on the table while the heel taunted the crowd.

did he also cower in the corner and sob in terror

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Low Desert Punk posted:

did he also cower in the corner and sob in terror

no but he looked at his hands an awful long time

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Gimme a BTE segment with the deathmatch guys putting their plunder under the ring earlier in the day while shooting the poo poo like they’re just hanging out at the water cooler.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Deathmatch guys sitting on the floor wrapping barbed wire around baseball bats and taping light tubes together like ravers making kandi bracelets

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Only some doors are hidden underneath the ring. Lots of doors are just brought out by the backstage crew before the big deathmatch, along with the light tubes.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is the "magic dust" really mercury like they say it is on commentary? If so isn't GCW at a massive liability risk if any performers or fans die from inhaling mercury?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A bit of it is but it is a fairly small amount. It's the sort of thing that will cause problems if you're exposed to it a lot and won't show up until years from now. The audience isn't at risk. The wrestlers? They're death match wrestlers, they don't give a poo poo.

Edit: I would be more worried about flying glass/accidently inhaling or swallowing glass.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 26, 2019

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Gumball Gumption posted:

A bit of it is but it is a fairly small amount. It's the sort of thing that will cause problems if you're exposed to it a lot and won't show up until years from now. The audience isn't at risk. The wrestlers? They're death match wrestlers, they don't give a poo poo.

Edit: I would be more worried about flying glass/accidently inhaling or swallowing glass.

I saw one of the Highspots camera men get a mouthful of glass at a CZW show once.

Last deathmatch I went to most everyone in the crowd had bandanas to cover their faces. I'll have to remember mine next time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Strawberry Panda posted:

I saw one of the Highspots camera men get a mouthful of glass at a CZW show once.

Last deathmatch I went to most everyone in the crowd had bandanas to cover their faces. I'll have to remember mine next time.

My friend brought a makeup shower guard to the last GCW show. Nick Gage thought it was hilarious and rubbed his blood on it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Death match wrestling would be 1000% cooler if all the fans wore masks anyway

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Strawberry Panda posted:

The company i work for distributes masks and protective goggles for the fans bring the weapons deathmatches.

If those matches weren't so bug gently caress crazy and insane to watch watching 100+ people with matching goggles and masks is the funniest poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

Death match wrestling would be 1000% cooler if all the fans wore masks anyway

One of the things I love about GCW is everyone in the front row wearing bandanas and masks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If anyone has IndependentWrestling.tv, Sarah Shockey's Cheerful Wrestling Show is a pro click.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

flashy_mcflash posted:

If anyone has IndependentWrestling.tv, Sarah Shockey's Cheerful Wrestling Show is a pro click.

Mance Warner's message to kids was loving fantastic.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Mance Warner's message to kids was loving fantastic.

Bryce talking about his kid... :allears:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don’t have a sub anymore but that’s cool of IWTV. Sarah is an absolute workhouse for the Midwest scene. I stumbled onto a few years ago and have been following her doing podcasts and video rundowns on happenings. Good stuff.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Bryce talking about his kid... :allears:

"You're my best friend." :3:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
She (Sarah Shockey) did ring announcing at my local indie and she was great. She also came out with the Gym Nasty Boys and was loving awesome. I don't know if you guys have seen the Gym Nasty Boys before but they are loving awesome.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

I don’t have a sub anymore but that’s cool of IWTV. Sarah is an absolute workhouse for the Midwest scene. I stumbled onto a few years ago and have been following her doing podcasts and video rundowns on happenings. Good stuff.

There's a free trial offer for 20 days or something if you use the code MJFSUCKS. Not sure if it's for new subscribers or not.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if you guys have seen the Gym Nasty Boys before but they are loving awesome.

White Mike vs Chuck Taylor™ was my 2017 MOTY

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Sub Rosa posted:

White Mike vs Chuck Taylor™ was my 2017 MOTY

White Mike and Timmy Lou Retton are both deceptively agile and athletic for their size. Where / When was that match because I would very much like to watch it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ruHb0QKvEno

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
TIL there are 2 indie wrestlers named Chuck Taylor

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SalTheBard posted:

TIL there are 2 indie wrestlers named Chuck Taylor

oh its even better than that. You can thank Mike Quackenbush and Dustin for this one.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

stokely hathaway won the trademark to chuck taylor's name in chikara, so for a while he was chuck taylor (TM) and chuck went by a bunch of one-off names including rick beanbag, scoot tatum, and DUSTIN

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Danhausen got mad at a promotion

https://twitter.com/DanhausenAD/status/1177260021949894668

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

John Dudebro posted:

stokely hathaway won the trademark to chuck taylor's name in chikara, so for a while he was chuck taylor (TM) and chuck went by a bunch of one-off names including rick beanbag, scoot tatum, and DUSTIN

All of the one-off Chuck Taylor names were great. Most of them made it into the list of Chuck Taylor's Unused Wrestler Names: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifolC4Nt140

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Sarah Shockey’s comedy band and one woman show played some comedy festivals I was at a few years ago and both were delightful and I don’t know that I would have guessed she does wrestling shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Primetime Pro got a writeup in The Washington Post.