Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
who knew starting a new USPOL thread would cause all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Calling it now there's a video/evidence of trump committing literal, hangable treason

I literally do not know what else would have almost every republican moc who has seen the reports completely walk back their initial statements of support for trump

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Chris Stewart is a mormon former military decorum nerd who while he will never meaningfully go against the president so long as he gets his deregulation and FedSoc judges, probably loathes him personally. For whatever that's worth (which may be nothing).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Oh I know he's a Republican and he'll never vote to impeach. Doesn't make him any less of a coward.

oh i agree he is. i just meant he was HOUSE rep. the house GOP is always more crazy than the senate(different ways) i could see defections in the senate, not the house.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Really wondering what the GOP counter to this will be. Continue to go after Biden?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Seriously, if this poo poo pans out

"..., Manafort exhorted the White House to press Ukrainian officials to investigate and discredit individuals, both in the US and in Ukraine, who he believed had published damning information about his political consulting work in the Ukrain..."

*looks at Leschenko trying to push in the knife with leaks from Ukrainian end of explicit pressure*

Hmm. Hope the journalist unity thing will come to play here...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Its going to leak the moment we go to bed so you better keep f5ing just in case.

technically that means we should all take the bullet and go to sleep RIGHT NOW, for the marginal betterment of the world

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm wondering if Stewart gave bad info now, of other reps can't find it

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Reiterating: How will we know

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Kill Bristol posted:

Chris Stewart is a mormon former military decorum nerd who while he will never meaningfully go against the president so long as he gets his deregulation and FedSoc judges, probably loathes him personally. For whatever that's worth (which may be nothing).

He also seems to think the whistle blower complaint is not impressive or damaging enough to impeach.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
:f5:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The timing of this couldn’t be more perfect. The one week a year where Trump is constantly engaged face to face with foreign leaders from around the world, and he has to deal with people who he knows were talking behind his back, and will resume talking behind his back when he leaves the room about this embarrassing and potentially administration ending scandal. For a man who cares so much about keeping up appearances and looking strong, he is having the worst week of his presidency unfold while playing host to the world’s leaders.

As a guy who has always wanted to fit in among high society and finally forced his way into the club, there are probably few things Trump hates more than being shamed in front of the kinds of people he so desperately wanted to impress.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

nine-gear crow posted:

Brian Williams, currently five minutes away from airtime:

I'm Bearded Riker and Reading Rainbow's LeVar Burton, endlessly laughing in the background.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

PainterofCrap posted:

How will we know

One if by land, two if by sea?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

"...may so enrage the president...."

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I literally do not know what else would have almost every republican moc who has seen the reports completely walk back their initial statements of support for trump

This did not technically happen. Republicans have refrained from commenting on the report except three senators quoted saying what amounts to "deeply troubling".

Silence from most republicans does speak volumes.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'm Bearded Riker and Reading Rainbow's LeVar Burton, endlessly laughing in the background.

HEY! I'm bearded Riker and you can be La Forge.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also this was always one of the real prizes of the house impeaching, and based on this press conference today I'd say it's going to pay off quite well.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ham posted:

tomorrow morning will be more interesting. If they have their talking points in order and continue to defend Trump, that means after digesting what they saw behind closed doors, they think they can ride this one out. If they continue to say nothing aside from the usual crazyass bootlickers, then its really bad.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Reminder that anyone who has a grudge against Trump is going to see this as the opportunity to strike.

Politics and sausage can happen fast when someone decides it's time to make them.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Turns out the whistleblower was someone named Benjamin Ghazi.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
CNN is reporting a lawmaker stating the complaint indicates multiple Trump aides were involved in pressuring Zelensky. The complaint is not limited to conduct regarding the storage of call transcripts or the call itself.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ham posted:

This did not technically happen. Republicans have refrained from commenting on the report except three senators quoted saying what amounts to "deeply troubling".

Consider the difference between how gop acted after getting to see the mueller report vs after the whistleblower report

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ham posted:

yeah. i think they are worried. graham and some of the stupider ones are defending in vague ways but the rest are quiet or quietly mad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the only way this could have gone better is if at a conference someone shouted "THIS IDIOT'S loving A PUMPKIN" and the podium fell down to reveal trump furiously porking a gourd

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also I was wrong, BriWi has the night off tonight. That was Steve Kornacki getting ready for air tonight :eng101:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also trump is 100% gonna leak the whistleblower's name and any dirt he can find by the weekend.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Send this over to the schadenfreude thread.

I really don’t want to get my hopes up, but perhaps this is the mattering I keep hearing about.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1177059622106095616?s=21

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

sexpig by night posted:

the only way this could have gone better is if at a conference someone shouted "THIS IDIOT'S loving A PUMPKIN" and the podium fell down to reveal trump furiously porking a gourd

tbh I bet they would have taken pumpkin fuckin over this

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think they are worried. graham and some of the stupider ones are defending in vague ways but the rest are quiet or quietly mad.

Worried might be an understatement.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Consider the difference between how gop acted after getting to see the mueller report vs after the whistleblower report

I agree - just stating they didn't technically walk back support.

Rigel posted:

tomorrow morning will be more interesting. If they have their talking points in order and continue to defend Trump, that means after digesting what they saw behind closed doors, they think they can ride this one out. If they continue to say nothing aside from the usual crazyass bootlickers, then its really bad.

Agreed, but in the very least, this has them shook.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yeah Republicans kept tripping over themselves to leak out how the Mueller Report was a whole load of nothing and that the President was vindicated.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

also trump is 100% gonna leak the whistleblower's name and any dirt he can find by the weekend.

gently caress me if it really does turn out to be John Bolton :munch:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

gently caress me if it really does turn out to be John Bolton :munch:

that's my 'maximum chaos world' bet

my more reasonable one is 'just some rando dingus who heard about this and had the free time to compile stories and poo poo to make a case'

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1177061878805270530

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Ho! I am having midnight ramblings and want the smart folk to tell me if I'm saying things that make sense. I think the situation is unfolding in a way which backs up one specific reading:

Barr was willing to go to extraordinary and probably illegal lengths to attempt to block this whistleblower report from legally mandatory issue to the House committees – intervening directly and in ways that would create dramatic new degrees of evidence of his wrongdoing and complicity in obstructing justice.

He was likely not even sure that it was going to work, but he still evidently felt compelled to try.

It suggests that he knew that the report contained information that could sink the presidency. It also suggests it contains evidence of his own criminal involvement, which would come out as part of the whistleblower investigation, and meant that he essentially had nothing to lose.

His only remaining option was apparently a hail mary attempt to assert that the whistleblower report fell entirely and solely under DoJ discretion and was at his liberty to release or contain. It was a very risky move, and not exactly one that seemed to have much capacity to survive challenge by the House IC (nor a flurry of continued whistleblower activity to alert everyone as to what happened).

The desperation contained within this act is a substantive indicator to what this loving report might really be.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So we have the declassified complaint and the DNI testimony to look forward to tomorrow morning?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

I'm not saying no one will leak the name to him, but the way the process works, he shouldn't know who it is. Thats kind of the point.

But yeah, if he somehow finds out who it is, he will begin rage-tweeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Kavros posted:

Ho! I am having midnight ramblings and want the smart folk to tell me if I'm saying things that make sense. I think the situation is unfolding in a way which backs up one specific reading:

Barr was willing to go to extraordinary and probably illegal lengths to attempt to block this whistleblower report from legally mandatory issue to the House committees – intervening directly and in ways that would create dramatic new degrees of evidence of his wrongdoing and complicity in obstructing justice.

He was likely not even sure that it was going to work, but he still evidently felt compelled to try.

It suggests that he knew that the report contained information that could sink the presidency. It also suggests it contains evidence of his own criminal involvement, which would come out as part of the whistleblower investigation, and meant that he essentially had nothing to lose.

His only remaining option was apparently a hail mary attempt to assert that the whistleblower report fell entirely and solely under DoJ discretion and was at his liberty to release or contain. It was a very risky move, and not exactly one that seemed to have much capacity to survive challenge by the House IC (nor a flurry of continued whistleblower activity to alert everyone as to what happened).

The desperation contained within this act is a substantive indicator to what this loving report might really be.

Sounds very plausible. I hope Santa brings me something nice in the morning.