Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Wednesday gon' own, although this page is pretty good and also confirms a couple things. It's PROBABLY not for the best that Vampire's hands are near Rogie-boy's throat.

Turns out human history remembers Ruckmearkha too!

"a generation" frankly seems pretty short, when it's not a Copper speaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch10/ch10_45.html

Didn't quite understand this page before my current reread, but we've known the silver eel has a khert portal for quite a while - this is Duane's cord going into it, which Cutter can see? recognize? because, well, you know.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
hate will keep us free
ROGER FOI HELLICK

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
When the flaming lost souls get snuffed out, does that mean it's time for Flesh and Metal to start playing?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It may signal the end of the khert fire that was shielding RFH from the curse.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Yeah, Roger's about to run out the clock and get cursed no matter what he thinks about it.

Now I'm really curious if he eventually agreed to the plan out of a renewed commitment to his cause or because of his personal despair. Since this is Unsounded, I'm betting personal despair.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There's like 10:1 odds he's going to have to murder his partner within the next 3 pages, so yeah, despair looks pretty likely.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
So uh, the mouse overs aren't the only thing that's been changed in the past two pages. Try out the four links at the top too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JuniperCake posted:

So uh, the mouse overs aren't the only thing that's been changed in the past two pages. Try out the four links at the top too.

100% pro click. The wiki link is great.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Gotta love artists that go the extra mile with the diegetic elements. Especially given just how flexible a webpage can be.

E: You know, the wiki page has something rather interesting. It has all the usual parts about how Roger is a hateful, awful man, with ideas to make you not feel guilty about hating him and whatnot and so on. Perfectly kosher for a hate spell. But it also adds elements to reinforce him not as an existencial threat not just to yourself personal but to the state, it indirectly says "love Alderode" and even "love the dammakhert".

And that makes me wonder two things:
a) Do those messages appear in other spells mediated by the dammakhert? Are all Alds constantly under a low-level indoctrination field?
b) Assuming the text in the wiki page represents the concepts and messages that compose the curse, what would happen if one took the curse and reversed those ideas? Could the curse be used to make people hate the state? Is this the fundamental flaw in its workings?

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 24, 2019

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Shaensigin just said the curse was poorly made and exposed a lot of the mechanics of Alderode, so yeah, this is undoubtedly the basis of the stuff Queen Sonorie's going to use once they've fully flayed Roger's soul to expose its mechanics.

Legacy code: not even once.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Depending on how huge the exploits are when you reverse engineer it I'm pretty sure making citizens hate the state is the least of what Sonorie And Pals could do if they got control of the dammakhert. I'm down to see a caste-based nation and their magical bullshit torn to shreds. Long live the Queen.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I too look forward to seeing Cresce genocide the ssaelit.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah the dammakhert is hosed up but if Alderode falls to Cresce, the Ssaelit are going to be genocided. Telling everyone else their gods are dead is kind of obnoxious, but Ssaelit twins are apparently at pretty high risk of being kidnapped and sold so one of them can be eaten, so, you know.

Mind, I'm not saying that Alderode is a shining beacon of religious tolerance, my impression has been that the considerable Ssaelit population are still second-class and prone to being passed over when it comes to the Gefendur religious majority. But as much as I'm pumped to see the creepy indoctrination biological-hardcoded-caste altered khert go down, we haven't yet seen a faction in Unsounded willing and able to treat their enemies with the basic courtesy of 'not doing war crimes'. Maybe, like, the two-toes? Maybe we should all just get on team Salt Lizard and watch the human world burn.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean I guess there's a lot more countries than just Cresce and Alderode and Sharteshane in this setting so maybe some of THOSE governments are okay or at least just mildly distasteful and they manage to not actually be currently doing war crimes.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
ROGER

FOI

HELLICK

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

And the curse has landed.

I really like the fact that there's no in-page splashy effect - that it lands silently. The page effect today is neat but it's not something the characters are seeing, it's just all of a sudden and with no warning? Everybody's trynna kill Roger. That makes it way scarier.

Also, I think the narrative has made it pretty abundantly clear you should not be on either Team Alderode or Team Cresce, 'cause neither of them have the moral high ground.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

KILL HIM BEFORE HE KILLS YOU!

KILL HIM BEFORE HE KILLS YOU!

quote:

Anonymous asked: The Etalarche has just been cast on you. How do you escape Florida with your life?

I’m a blonde, sucker, you can’t touch me. I’m already in your house, Alderode. I’m petting your dog. I’m eating the last of your ice cream.

goddamn souds

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Legacy code: not even once.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 25, 2019

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

So that's Vampire, Claggart, Will, Claggart's silver lieutenant, and the two rando jets that fell down the hole with our intrepid party who are being affected.

If Duane gets 'em all loose they could do some serious damage before they all get murdered. RIP Will's arm.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's go time.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah the dammakhert is hosed up but if Alderode falls to Cresce, the Ssaelit are going to be genocided. Telling everyone else their gods are dead is kind of obnoxious, but Ssaelit twins are apparently at pretty high risk of being kidnapped and sold so one of them can be eaten, so, you know.

Mind, I'm not saying that Alderode is a shining beacon of religious tolerance, my impression has been that the considerable Ssaelit population are still second-class and prone to being passed over when it comes to the Gefendur religious majority. But as much as I'm pumped to see the creepy indoctrination biological-hardcoded-caste altered khert go down, we haven't yet seen a faction in Unsounded willing and able to treat their enemies with the basic courtesy of 'not doing war crimes'. Maybe, like, the two-toes? Maybe we should all just get on team Salt Lizard and watch the human world burn.
I think I've brought this up before (here, or elsewhere), but the only real shot the Ssaelit people have at survival is maintaining the status quo. Cresce would butcher them without hesitation, but Alderode really only tolerates their presence insofar as they bolster the national defense against a common enemy. Whoever finally wins this stupid forever war, the Ssaelit are next on the chopping block. For all Duane's vocal distaste of it, the continued existence of Cresce is the only thing that guarantees the protection of his faith.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

I mean I guess there's a lot more countries than just Cresce and Alderode and Sharteshane in this setting so maybe some of THOSE governments are okay or at least just mildly distasteful and they manage to not actually be currently doing war crimes.

From what I understand the other countries are basically client states of the big three (or at least Cresce/Sharteshane, I think Alderode is more self-contained.) Same toxic ideologies, lack of war crimes only insomuch as they're not powerful enough to do them.

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

And the curse has landed.

I really like the fact that there's no in-page splashy effect - that it lands silently. The page effect today is neat but it's not something the characters are seeing, it's just all of a sudden and with no warning? Everybody's trynna kill Roger. That makes it way scarier.

Also, I think the narrative has made it pretty abundantly clear you should not be on either Team Alderode or Team Cresce, 'cause neither of them have the moral high ground.

I love how sudden it is. No struggle or indecision, no slow dawning, no shots of Vampire fighting between conflicting impulses. He goes from calmly discussing plans to all-consuming hatred in the middle of conversation. Zero to murder in 3 seconds.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 25, 2019

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Bad Seafood posted:

It's go time.
I think I've brought this up before (here, or elsewhere), but the only real shot the Ssaelit people have at survival is maintaining the status quo. Cresce would butcher them without hesitation, but Alderode really only tolerates their presence insofar as they bolster the national defense against a common enemy. Whoever finally wins this stupid forever war, the Ssaelit are next on the chopping block. For all Duane's vocal distaste of it, the continued existence of Cresce is the only thing that guarantees the protection of his faith.
Yeah turns out when your religion is vocally saying the gods of the only other major human religion are dead and also evil, people don't like it.

This isn't me saying the Ssaelit should be genocided or anything, obviously, just that Ssaelism is very specifically an offshoot of/reaction to Gefendur in such a specific way that it's bound to piss Gefendur off. Just look at Duane! I mean, he's an extreme example of piousness who also happens to be a passive-aggressive little poo poo that absolutely delights in pissing people off, so maybe not the best example.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
In order to escalate from the cool-as-poo poo spooky page backgrounds and creepy alt-text clearly the text step is to make us ourselves hate Roger Foi-Hellick.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Pierson posted:

Depending on how huge the exploits are when you reverse engineer it I'm pretty sure making citizens hate the state is the least of what Sonorie And Pals could do if they got control of the dammakhert. I'm down to see a caste-based nation and their magical bullshit torn to shreds. Long live the Queen.

There's always the "hate your fellow man" option which would create a countrywide massacre that would be quite on brand for Unsounded.
But I was thinking just along the lines of the spell itself, not the wider dhammakhert. If you've got access to that then you've pwned the whole country anyways.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 25, 2019

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yeah I guess it makes sense that Cresce would be trying something at least as terrible as the silver weapon. Everybody wants to develop their own flying crowbar.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

It won't be violent. Queen Sonorie is flatly opposed to a hot war with Cresce - she refused Cutter's silver weapon and she maintained her anti-killing stance even when she was alone with Ruck, and would be able to speak her mind freely. It's not a front, she legitimately wants to prevent large-scale war and mass murder. Also, Bell is responsible for moving the Silver around and he's up to his neck in it - Cutter may be piloting it but he's working with the Crescians to do it, albeit not the Queen.

Based on some stuff Cope said on the tumblr, this curse works by modifying the person being cursed, to the point where if Alds outside of Alderode encounter Roger, they'd still want to kill him, even if they hadn't been physically present in Alderode when the curse was used. The only reason Bastion wasn't affected was because he met Roger in the Black Tongues hideout of Juste, which is entirely encapsulated by first materials and is cut off from the larger khert. So the curse is only actually working on the person being cursed, and once the person is cursed the reaction happens automatically in anybody tied to the dammakhert (so the five largest castes in Alderode.)

The curse exposes the fundamental mechanics of the dammakhert in a way that makes them screamingly obvious, according to Shaensigin. Sonorie isn't linked to the dammakhert (you have to be within its influence when you are conceived to be affected by it), so they can't modify her to be loved. Modding an Aldish traitor loyal to Cresce to be loved would be extremely risky. It seems way more likely that they will have enough information about the dammakhert to undo it completely, utterly destroying the fundamental cultural touchstone in Alderode. No more children born into castes (well, except souds), no more linkage through the dammakhert, no more stinging or cursing its citizens, all of that will just go poof and Alderode will revert to the standard khert that exists everywhere else.

It's a complete victory with minimal loss of life, and that's what Sonorie explicitly and without question is aiming for.

Edit: also, when Roger and Sonorie are talking about it, he specifically says he's giving her the "unmaking of Alderode." Without the dammakhert, there IS no Alderode. It's the explanation that most fits what we know about the goals of both Roger and Sonorie.

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 25, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

From what I understand the other countries are basically client states of the big three (or at least Cresce/Sharteshane, I think Alderode is more self-contained.) Same toxic ideologies, lack of war crimes only insomuch as they're not powerful enough to do them.

I love how sudden it is. No struggle or indecision, no slow dawning, no shots of Vampire fighting between conflicting impulses. He goes from calmly discussing plans to all-consuming hatred in the middle of conversation. Zero to murder in 3 seconds.

In one of the earlier chapters two or three non Alderode countries are mentioned whose citizens are forbidden entry to Ethelmik for the duration of the Aldish emergency, so maybe Alderode has allies too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

It won't be violent. Queen Sonorie is flatly opposed to a hot war with Cresce - she refused Cutter's silver weapon and she maintained her anti-killing stance even when she was alone with Ruck, and would be able to speak her mind freely. It's not a front, she legitimately wants to prevent large-scale war and mass murder. Also, Bell is responsible for moving the Silver around and he's up to his neck in it - Cutter may be piloting it but he's working with the Crescians to do it, albeit not the Queen.

Based on some stuff Cope said on the tumblr, this curse works by modifying the person being cursed, to the point where if Alds outside of Alderode encounter Roger, they'd still want to kill him, even if they hadn't been physically present in Alderode when the curse was used. The only reason Bastion wasn't affected was because he met Roger in the Black Tongues hideout of Juste, which is entirely encapsulated by first materials and is cut off from the larger khert. So the curse is only actually working on the person being cursed, and once the person is cursed the reaction happens automatically in anybody tied to the dammakhert (so the five largest castes in Alderode.)

The curse exposes the fundamental mechanics of the dammakhert in a way that makes them screamingly obvious, according to Shaensigin. Sonorie isn't linked to the dammakhert (you have to be within its influence when you are conceived to be affected by it), so they can't modify her to be loved. Modding an Aldish traitor loyal to Cresce to be loved would be extremely risky. It seems way more likely that they will have enough information about the dammakhert to undo it completely, utterly destroying the fundamental cultural touchstone in Alderode. No more children born into castes (well, except souds), no more linkage through the dammakhert, no more stinging or cursing its citizens, all of that will just go poof and Alderode will revert to the standard khert that exists everywhere else.

It's a complete victory with minimal loss of life, and that's what Sonorie explicitly and without question is aiming for.

Edit: also, when Roger and Sonorie are talking about it, he specifically says he's giving her the "unmaking of Alderode." Without the dammakhert, there IS no Alderode. It's the explanation that most fits what we know about the goals of both Roger and Sonorie.

Maybe Queen Sonorie would like for that to happen, but I rather doubt that the people who actually implement the plan are so high minded.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah I guess it makes sense that Cresce would be trying something at least as terrible as the silver weapon. Everybody wants to develop their own flying crowbar.

My flying crowbar project is Gordon Freeman on a hoverboard.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

Maybe Queen Sonorie would like for that to happen, but I rather doubt that the people who actually implement the plan are so high minded.

I mean it's like with the two-toes. Sonorie wants to give them firm legal rights and citizenship, but has had to do so slowly because she doesn't actually have absolute power, and all that just majorly backslid with her sister's assassination.

Does Sonorie want a soft cultural genocide of Ssaelit where they're converted and not slaughtered in the streets? Probably, that fits what we know of her ideals. Would that happen? Almost certainly not.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Sonorie thinks she's going to pull off being what Simon Bolivar wanted to be, but instead she's going to at best end up being what the Tsar Liberator was.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PetraCore posted:

I mean it's like with the two-toes. Sonorie wants to give them firm legal rights and citizenship, but has had to do so slowly because she doesn't actually have absolute power, and all that just majorly backslid with her sister's assassination.

Does Sonorie want a soft cultural genocide of Ssaelit where they're converted and not slaughtered in the streets? Probably, that fits what we know of her ideals. Would that happen? Almost certainly not.

meanwhile, the Ssaelit (or at least some of their higher-ups, the Shadwe's right hand man if not the Shadwe himself) are plotting with General Bell, to use the silver weapon to kill Sonorie and almost certainly to tip the scales in an Aldish civil war

working with Kima "Insane Gefendur Zealot" Bell doesn't strike me as the best decision for the continent's minority faith, but whatever; comedy option, they too are working with Ruckmearkha on the assumption that he can control Bell and they can control Ruck, or at least that he doesn't particularly give a gently caress what actually happens to Alderode and Ssaelism

edit if this theory is even vaguely correct, turns out the real moral of the story is "never trust any senet beast except Minnow"

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 26, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

GreyjoyBastard posted:

edit if this theory is even vaguely correct, turns out the real moral of the story is "never trust any senet beast except Minnow"

Great, now you've guaranteed that Minnow is going to have a sudden yet inevitable betrayal. :sigh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also i managed to have an Unsounded dream the other night

i introduced Ruckmearkha to the history of US presidents and he was pretty bummed that most of his favorites weren't available to gnaw on

congratulations on escaping the snakeman, Mr Nixon

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two new pages today.

ROGER

FOI

HELLICK

(Good grief, the Etalarche curse is extreme.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

technically, i think Vampire is in fact resisting

there's some (very) limited level of restraint there

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Is that Captain Tomas in the fifth/sixth panel or am I just misremembering what he looks like since we haven't seen him in a while?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can't believe you fools are wasting your time reading this webcomic while the traitor Roger Foi-Hellick still lives.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's great how Duane is like "welp idk what's going on, but killing Roger seems like a good enough idea so"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

It's great how Duane is like "welp idk what's going on, but killing Roger seems like a good enough idea so"

I mean yeah everyone is freaking out, but either way he has a chance to take out the leader of the rebellion his country is facing, so it's probably what he would have done if he could anyhow.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In one of the earlier chapters two or three non Alderode countries are mentioned whose citizens are forbidden entry to Ethelmik for the duration of the Aldish emergency, so maybe Alderode has allies too.

I think Shartshane is the closest Alderode has to an ally, and it is mostly an economic partnership then military. Basically no other countries but Shartshane will trade with the Alds, but being a country full of criminals that just want to make a profit they don't give a gently caress, especially when their alternative is to try to trade with the other side of the conflict, Cresce, which is a country that doesn't even really use money so good luck making a profit there!

The only other country we have seen was Ulestry which we were told are total pacifists, have no real army of their own, and are under the protection of Cresce.

The rest of the countries we have been told the story of Unsounded will never venture to, but that they either entirely keep to themselves, tentatively support Cresce at least in concept, or at the very least don't side with Alderode. Hanret and Rachshane were the other two countries Matty said couldn't weren't allowed to cross into Cresce but if I remember correctly it's because they are some other brand of insular fanatics, not because they have anything to do with Alderode.

Of course it's safe to assume that the boarder shutdown still makes sense, as just because someone is traveling through a country to another, it doesn't necessarily mean they agree with all the most popular ideals that country has.