Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

I definitely think this might be who they go with. He's set up in such a weird way for a nothing extra.

Also they have definitely cast Marco. Keon Alexander has been cast as a "smart and charismatic Belter faction leader" whose name they haven't revealed.

Seeing as Alexander's character is cast for 4, I'm willing to bet its just Coop. Also his character is described as "smart" which rules Marco out

Though him with a short beard is pretty much exactly how I imagined Marco

I'm willing to bet that Season 4's B plot will be Bobbie and Avarsarala beginning to investigate Duarte's plot, as well as some novella stuff. I'm predicting season 4 will end on Filip raiding Pallas (IIRC) for the stealth composites. The last scene will reveal his identity as Filip Inaros leaving people to figure out who he is between seasons as a cliffhanger/stinger

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Phi230 posted:

Seeing as Alexander's character is cast for 4, I'm willing to bet its just Coop. Also his character is described as "smart" which rules Marco out

Though him with a short beard is pretty much exactly how I imagined Marco

I'm willing to bet that Season 4's B plot will be Bobbie and Avarsarala beginning to investigate Duarte's plot, as well as some novella stuff. I'm predicting season 4 will end on Filip raiding Pallas (IIRC) for the stealth composites. The last scene will reveal his identity as Filip Inaros leaving people to figure out who he is between seasons as a cliffhanger/stinger

The stealth composites were already stolen in Season 1.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Some of the Sheep posted:

The stealth composites were already stolen in Season 1.

Naw. It was post gate that Inaros and his partner made their plans. Filip would have been early 20s rather than a sulky teen in book 5 if you were correct.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Drone Jett posted:

Naw. It was post gate that Inaros and his partner made their plans. Filip would have been early 20s rather than a sulky teen in book 5 if you were correct.

Yeah, in the books. This is the TV show, which has already demonstrated that's it's willing to change things for narrative convenience amongst other things.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, they away mentioned the stealth composite being stolen... And Inaros' name. Both in the first episode.

I'm interested to see what they do with TV Holden and Naomi, as she's already taken her hiatus from the Roci.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Drone Jett posted:

This ain't the book thread pal.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
afaik there is no book thread

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

afaik there is no book thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787256

not much going on in there right now as we are in between books.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Edit: eh gently caress it

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is this not essentially the new book thread? How do you have a spoiler thread that isn't open to discussing future events, i.e., the contents of the books?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I mean the title and the OP for this thread are both referring to book 5 spoilers, something that the show's not gonna get to for at least another year so it's understandable to think this is the thread to talk about the show from the perspective of someone who's read the books. If that's not what this thread is for, the OP/title should be updated to reflect that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Phi230 posted:

He looks like a more exotic Holden, so Naomi would have a type if he's playing Marco. I feel like if he were Coop they would've just said in the casting announcement?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

He looks like a more exotic Holden, so Naomi would have a type if he's playing Marco. I feel like if he were Coop they would've just said in the casting announcement?

They didn't reveal who any of the other casting choices were either with regards to the local belters on illus, even though its clear that its just Basia/etc. . . The only new person they've announced is Burn Gorman as Murtry

Also I know that they cut and replaced Basia (despite introducing Basia in S2) with someone new but that's not an issue. I don't doubt they introduce Marco and Filip towards the end of this season but there are still a lot of gaps in the casting and I don't think we should rule Coop out. We also don't have any news regarding who will be replacing Havelock.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

ATP_Power posted:

I mean the title and the OP for this thread are both referring to book 5 spoilers, something that the show's not gonna get to for at least another year so it's understandable to think this is the thread to talk about the show from the perspective of someone who's read the books. If that's not what this thread is for, the OP/title should be updated to reflect that.

That is an accurate summary of this threads purpose, but we are discussing the show not the books. A minor but significant difference, when events such as the theft of the stealth tech play out differently between the two.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

You know, theres another time Amos had a grand ol adventure

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

404notfound posted:

Is this not essentially the new book thread? How do you have a spoiler thread that isn't open to discussing future events, i.e., the contents of the books?
The issue isn't that we aren't here to discuss book stuff. We're obviously here to discuss book stuff as it relates to the upcoming season.

The post that "this isn't the book thread" was responding to was citing book events that the show already contradicted.

It's was a slightly badly worded point about show continuity vs book continuity, not a call to not discuss the books.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can all but guarantee that the one-off reference in the first episode to stealth composites being smuggled is not as significant as you think

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phi230 posted:

I can all but guarantee that the one-off reference in the first episode to stealth composites being smuggled is not as significant as you think

Quoting this for when you're wrong :allears:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm still leaning to that smuggler from the first episode being a part of Mao's supply chain and not a deep reference for Marco's plan, if only cause the Callisto raid seems like a great setpiece and I'm not sure why they'd cut it for a deep callback to the first season to explain why Marco has the composites.

If you've got the budget, why not show the raid? On top of that, depending on how they introduce Filip, having him being revealed at the end of the sequence seems like it'd make for a good scene.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ATP_Power posted:

I'm still leaning to that smuggler from the first episode being a part of Mao's supply chain and not a deep reference for Marco's plan, if only cause the Callisto raid seems like a great setpiece and I'm not sure why they'd cut it for a deep callback to the first season to explain why Marco has the composites.

If you've got the budget, why not show the raid? On top of that, depending on how they introduce Filip, having him being revealed at the end of the sequence seems like it'd make for a good scene.

I imagine they'll do both: they've been trying to get small quantities of stealth tech for ages ("but our agents keep getting intercepted") and then Filip's raid becomes the final tipping point to make the op possible.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
My take from episode 1 was that it was simply establishing that some Belter faction had been trying to obtain stealth tech, not that they were successful in that attempt.

ATP_Power posted:

if only cause the Callisto raid seems like a great setpiece

Also this

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
They could always just jump back in time a few years to show the raid, but I think they'll just do the raid properly when they get to it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Eiba posted:

The issue isn't that we aren't here to discuss book stuff. We're obviously here to discuss book stuff as it relates to the upcoming season.

The post that "this isn't the book thread" was responding to was citing book events that the show already contradicted.

It's was a slightly badly worded point about show continuity vs book continuity, not a call to not discuss the books.

Ah all right, that makes sense. Yeah, I assume all book talk is permitted here but there's stuff that's gonna differ between the two. FWIW I like most of the changes that the show has made.

Re: the stolen stealth tech in the opening scene, I wouldn't put it past the writers to foreshadow something that early. After all, there was that seemingly throwaway line Avasarala had about throwing rocks when she was sitting on the rooftop.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The stuff that looks like added foreshadowing is 100% for sure that. They couldn't do it in the books because they didn't have a nine novel storyline planned out when they started, now that they get to edit for TV they absolutely put in foreshadowing that would've been there had it all been planned.

Doesn't mean that specific stealth composites raid was the one to get the coating for the asteroids, but it establishes the idea of belters trying to get their hands on stealth tech for (reasons) for when that comes up again later.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

404notfound posted:

Re: the stolen stealth tech in the opening scene, I wouldn't put it past the writers to foreshadow something that early. After all, there was that seemingly throwaway line Avasarala had about throwing rocks when she was sitting on the rooftop.

There's quite a lot of rock talk in the first 13 episodes I've noticed on rewatch. A lot of foreshadowing in general

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Someone who saw Episode 1 at that convention posted this summary:

quote:

starts with awesome space battle action scene showing a group of belter refugee ships trying to break through the gate “blockade” shortly after the events of S3. A handful of ships make it through including one to Ilus.

skips ahead 8 months showing Holden on earth with his mom and family. Once mom leaves, there is a good scene with him and Miller with Miller asking for a ride through the gates.

Good Chrisjen cursing and bossing people around scene trying to control the “gold rush” into new systems. Internally, she is concerned about the genocidal scenes that Holden saw in his visions.

Roci is retrofitted with rail gun and ability to make “unassisted” planet landing. Amos has a quick vid chat with peaches who is in prison for life.

Bobbie is working construction as civilian. Cool scene of construction platform for large MCRN ship and walking through Martian city. She’s bored by civilian life. Bar conversation reveals she is viewed as a war hero but had a televised trial where she refused to lie about the events of season 3 so she was discharged.

small space battle where ashford ambushes belter pirates who were raiding UN supply lines. He is chewed out by the belter pirates for the truce with inners and he is struggling with what the future might hold under this truce. First seeds being planted for NG.

word that the Ilus colony is successfully surviving and has alien tech on it causes Chrisjen to send the Roci to investigate / help.

UN shuttle carrying supplies down to Ilus is attacked on its descent with many dying. Murtry survives and is scary as hell. Great actor.

Roci arrives with the scene that was released at SDCC but additional scene with killer swarm / death slugs to show they aren’t in Kansas any more.

Big takeaways: Ashford will fulfill Pa's role in Season 5, they're doing Gods of Risk and some early book 5 stuff with regards to Avarsarala and Bobby, general book 5/season 5 foreshadowing

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
There is some pressure online for them to go ahead and drop ep 1...dunno if they will: but it'd be cool if they did. :smug:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Someone who saw Episode 1 at that convention posted this summary:

Big takeaways: Ashford will fulfill Pa's role in Season 5, they're doing Gods of Risk and some early book 5 stuff with regards to Avarsarala and Bobby, general book 5/season 5 foreshadowing

This is a good change. I found Pa pretty boring but Ashfords chemistry will sell most of that storyline.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They actually did slugs?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Combat Pretzel posted:

They actually did slugs?

And so early?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It reads more like a preview at the end of the episode.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

Amos has a quick vid chat with peaches who is in prison for life.
I like that they included this because there was a complete disconnect in the books until Amos actually visited her

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Was just watching some comic con interviews. Millercrab is in.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

Was just watching some comic con interviews. Millercrab is in.

:getin:
:killdozer:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Interestingly Thomas Jane just posted up on Twitter that he's started work on The Expanse Season Five today...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Huh. I wonder if there's some flashback material, I'd think they finished all of Cibola Burn in season 4. Keeping ProtoMiller around would be a definite change. Thomas Jane rules so I'm not against it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm all for ghost Miller sticking around for the entire series.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
everyone loves Ghost Miller.

I feel like the show is going to diverge from the books in some pretty significant ways going forward. there's some stuff in the later books that I don't think you can really do in a tv show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The 30 year time jump is the only thing I can think of that would be tough. Old person makeup rarely looks good and having your entire cast in it for three seasons? But the Laconians need time to get their poo poo together. I'm guessing they'll add some sort of ~alien fuckery~ and time moves faster in the Laconia system, so they can do like, a five year time jump and avoid everyone being old. Still makes things weird with the Transport Union and the city ships and Earth recovery stuff but... I dunno what else to do.

They do apparently take anti aging drugs in the Expanse so I suppose you could emphasize that those work well and only do the lightest of olding-up makeup.

E: Seems like the authors have said human lifespan is about 150 as of Persepolis Rising and the characters after the time jump are the physical equivalent of more like mid-late middle age than elderly, so maybe that could work.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
They just have rigorous spin classes 5x a week and the best contraband skin lotion.