Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

King of Solomon posted:

Yeeeeeep. One of the most infuriating things in the entire loving franchise. I honestly loving hate Crow, entirely because of this.

It was great. Carly's VA being in a cult ruined Aki's story so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rudoku posted:

It was great. Carly's VA being in a cult ruined Aki's story so bad.

Wait, what? Elaborate please

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Wait, what? Elaborate please

Carly’s VA was involved in a Japanese sex cult and they moved waaaaaay away from anything involving cults and also coincidentally Carly

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

Carly’s VA was involved in a Japanese sex cult and they moved waaaaaay away from anything involving cults and also coincidentally Carly

And they couldn't rewrite Aki's story to account for this?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MJeff posted:

Nah. Nah. Naaaaah.

She didn't get owned by Yuri.

She got owned by Yuri using a structure deck. She didn't even rate high enough to get eaten by Starving Venom.

A structure deck he literally unwrapped and read the effects of as he played

the amount of disrespect is comical

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

She’s a woman in shonen so no

E: They never even resolved the ship tease with Yusei so the closest a romance has ever gotten to happening in Yugioh outside of that one chick with her frogs and Bastion with the Amazoness that sexually assaulted him are two people holding hands, looking into each-other’s eyes and saying what great friends they are

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 26, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: They never even resolved the ship tease with Yusei so the closest a romance has ever gotten to happening in Yugioh outside of that one chick with her frogs and Bastion with the Amazoness that sexually assaulted him are two people holding hands, looking into each-other with their eyes and saying what great friends they are

Yeah, I think we're on the same page here. All of this is true.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

King of Solomon posted:

They did. And her new story was loving lame as gently caress, including some weird thing about her losing her powers and then getting them back.

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: They never even resolved the ship tease with Yusei so the closest a romance has ever gotten to happening in Yugioh outside of that one chick with her frogs and Bastion with the Amazoness that sexually assaulted him are two people holding hands, looking into each-other’s eyes and saying what great friends they are

They came close in the final episode. I choose to believe Aki and Yusei were in love but understood Aki had to go to school and Yusei was staying so they had to be adults about it and then when Aki got her PhD they boned.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Ironically, despite him taking her spot, she and Crow were the only two team members that actually acted like they were friends, as opposed to three guys who knew each other years ago and two kids with no plot relevance. They had a bunch of scenes where they confided in one another, and their final Duel with Sherry was centered on their trust in each other.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Across both 5D's and Arc-V, Crow has been pretty awesome when used as a supporting character, it's just when they try to make him the focus and make his stupid loving deck the focus that he becomes so easy to hate.

He's really not a bad character at all, he was just pushed way too hard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Ironically, despite him taking her spot, she and Crow were the only two team members that actually acted like they were friends, as opposed to three guys who knew each other years ago and two kids with no plot relevance. They had a bunch of scenes where they confided in one another, and their final Duel with Sherry was centered on their trust in each other.

Yusei never truly forgave Jack that day he stole his Stardust and secretly needles him about it at every opportunity

Yusei thinks of Crow as that friend who you just kinda have to bring along because they buy the beers and you get a group discount and Crow thinks Yusei makes everything about him all the time

Jack Atlas is an rear end in a top hat

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MJeff posted:

They did. And her new story was loving lame as gently caress, including some weird thing about her losing her powers and then getting them back.[/quote
God, I barely remember this happening. Pretty much the only thing I remember is her basically not existing (because Crow took her spot) and the ending.

[quote]
They came close in the final episode. I choose to believe Aki and Yusei were in love but understood Aki had to go to school and Yusei was staying so they had to be adults about it and then when Aki got her PhD they boned.

That's the reasonable take, but it would have been nice if they weren't cowards and were actually explicit that this happened.

MJeff posted:

Across both 5D's and Arc-V, Crow has been pretty awesome when used as a supporting character, it's just when they try to make him the focus and make his stupid loving deck the focus that he becomes so easy to hate.

He's really not a bad character at all, he was just pushed way too hard.

Crow as a character is actually pretty awesome and I don't really mind his deck, it's just impossible to separate him from Aki getting sidelined.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 26, 2019

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

King of Solomon posted:

That's the reasonable take, but it would have been nice if they weren't cowards and were actually explicit that this happened.

If it makes you feel any better, when asked whether Yusei would show up in Arc-V, his voice actor joked that he was too busy going on dates with Aki. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yusei never truly forgave Jack that day he stole his Stardust and secretly needles him about it at every opportunity

Yusei thinks of Crow as that friend who you just kinda have to bring along because they buy the beers and you get a group discount and Crow thinks Yusei makes everything about him all the time

Jack Atlas is THE KING

I don't know why you had that error in your post but I fixed it.

Also I'd say that the last episode is as explicit on Yusei/Aki as I'd expect a YGO series to be. It's not quite as hard on it as Yugi's beautifully realistic perverted side in the manga, or his rather cute awkward crush on Anzu in general, but it's pretty effective in a more mature, more subdued way, which fits Yusei well.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MJeff posted:

If it makes you feel any better, when asked whether Yusei would show up in Arc-V, his voice actor joked that he was too busy going on dates with Aki. :v:

It actually does, that's a good joke. :haw:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

King of Solomon posted:

Have you seen literally any of the other shows?

E: Being less flippant for a second here, the most consistent thing in the Yu-Gi-Oh anime is that as any given series goes on, the female leads become less relevant, not more.

I am sadly all too aware of that fact.

But she was introduced as an anti-Ai program and before she disappeared, she was showing signs of defecting to Ai’s side. If the shown went for its full run, I am absolute positive that she would have joined him and had a great big duel with Revolver at some point.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

MJeff posted:

I dunno what pisses me off more, that they brought back Allure Queen and made a bunch of support for it or that they did that and DIDN'T retrain the original series of monsters so that their fancy new Link Monster and Field Spell (if they ever get printed in the first place) might matter.

It's amazing just how many cards used in Vrains are clearly never going to get printed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't know why you had that error in your post but I fixed it.

Also I'd say that the last episode is as explicit on Yusei/Aki as I'd expect a YGO series to be. It's not quite as hard on it as Yugi's beautifully realistic perverted side in the manga, or his rather cute awkward crush on Anzu in general, but it's pretty effective in a more mature, more subdued way, which fits Yusei well.

Lesse.

Asuka almost confesses to Juudai, but she freakin' wusses out. Juudai goes on to live with his spirit waifu Yubel and Asuka presumably marries Manjoume, who's probably way better husband material anyway.
Yusei and Aki have their moment where it's pretty clear they have mutual feelings for each other, then they go their separate ways.
I think Kotori confesses to Yuma? But then the show ends like a minute later.
Yuzu....sure is standin' across from Yuya there for a second before he goes and does something else entirely...wow...so powerful....

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MJeff posted:

Lesse.

Asuka almost confesses to Juudai, but she freakin' wusses out. Juudai goes on to live with his spirit waifu Yubel and Asuka presumably marries Manjoume, who's probably way better husband material anyway.
Yusei and Aki have their moment where it's pretty clear they have mutual feelings for each other, then they go their separate ways.

Yuzu....sure is standin' across from Yuya there for a second before he goes and does something else entirely...wow...so powerful....

She does, quite enthusiastically in fact. Real shame that her role in the rest of the series was to say Yuma's name sadly and basically do nothing else.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

I am sadly all too aware of that fact.

But she was introduced as an anti-Ai program and before she disappeared, she was showing signs of defecting to Ai’s side. If the shown went for its full run, I am absolute positive that she would have joined him and had a great big duel with Revolver at some point.

That seemed to be where the series was going with Pandor, yes, though I'm really curious about how it would've worked considering Pandor specifically can't break the First Law of Robotics, since Revolver was actually more intelligent than his dad and realized that created a machine that can decide randomly it'd be better than humanity is a pretty loving terrible idea. The second to last episode even showed that it's depressing from the AI's side too, Ai really does not want to feel that way, but does, and to an extent even gives good reasons to feel that way. That hate, that threat, didn't even come from a gigantic sociopath like Lightning, but from an AI that genuinely learned to love humanity, and then to hate it.

God, Ai had such good writing, it's a shame this kind of complex plot wasn't used better.

Justin_Brett posted:

It's amazing just how many cards used in Vrains are clearly never going to get printed.

That's just how YGO works. Some cards get to be printed, some don't, and some are printed decades later when no one could've ever seen them coming.

MJeff posted:

Judai was hinted rather heavily to not be exactly straight, so Asuka probably had no chance anyways. His feelings were on Johan...not like that went anywhere either because Johan was a terrible character.
Yusei and Aki go their separate way but in an adult way, they had their own goals to pursue. I trust Yusei's VA that they did get together afterwards.
Kotori does confess to Yuma at the very end but, being Yuma, he just gets really flustered about it and about everyone else pointing out it was really obvious. It's silly, but it fits Yuma's character.
While Yuzu does nothing, do not forget that the other dimensional counterparts get it even worse, since both sides of their relationship are dead and will not come back! And Kurosaki is somehow convinced that he'll get his best friend and his sister back even though everything else explicitely says otherwise.

Also beyond all that I at least am glad that Yusaku is written as very asexual so we don't have love interests that go nowhere. Aoi still was horribly wasted but...I get to be happy that she wasn't explicitely written as a love interest...that's all I can ask for in this egyptian-god-forsaken franchise.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God the final few episodes of 5Ds are so loving good

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just watched the final duel of VRAINS and I've gotta say, that was a much stronger climax than I was expecting. I was pretty down on the final arc, and Ai's motivations didn't really make any sense, but then everything clicked with the new revelations from that duel, it was really loving good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Blaze Dragon posted:

While Yuzu does nothing, do not forget that the other dimensional counterparts get it even worse, since both sides of their relationship are dead and will not come back! And Kurosaki is somehow convinced that he'll get his best friend and his sister back even though everything else explicitely says otherwise

I'm gonna do the unthinkable and defend Arc-V here. It was shown that the Yu-boys can swap bodies with each other. So they should all be alive, just all crammed into two bodies between the 8 of them.

There's a great sequel to Arc-V that will never be written where it's a slice of life show where these boys and girls have to navigate sharing two bodies while Leo tries to figure out how to separate them. Yuto and Ruri try to be responsible and make a chart, Yugo trying to punch Yuri in the face but he keeps punching himself, so on and so forth.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The yuboys have to deal with the fact that one of them is a mudercarderous psychopath.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If I wanted to watch a series where all the Yus share a body, I'd read the manga.

It's actually consistently good too, so that's a plus.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Blaze Dragon posted:

the manga.

It's actually consistently good

On the other hand: https://twitter.com/RANK10YGO/status/1152747897081028608?s=19

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That part is amazing though. :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It's really incredible just how crazily different the manga and the anime are

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

All I see here is a wholesome family.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Makes about as much sense as the whole Reira reincarnation thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So the Magic thread spun off into Yugioh chat and I tried looking for recent Blue-Eyes decks and found nothing

http://yugiohtopdecks.com/deck/8083

I found this though and I just cannot parse how it works

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That deck from what I know is just getting out Rei and then tagging her out into different forms and using her spell and trap cards to disrupt your opponent the whole game. Kinda crazy that a deck with one monster in the main deck capable of fighting is so powerful, but it is unique.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Justin_Brett posted:

That deck from what I know is just getting out Rei and then tagging her out into different forms and using her spell and trap cards to disrupt your opponent the whole game. Kinda crazy that a deck with one monster in the main deck capable of fighting is so powerful, but it is unique.

Its because the deck is CRAZY consistent and can do pretty much everything with their spells. Negates, banishes, control switching, then they have a spell that recurses everything you used in that turn to your hand.

The core loop is getting Raye or Hornet drones, getting a Link on board, then searching all the spells and then just reacting to your opponents plays with your HUGE toolbox. Oh and the spells dont require you have an archetypal monster on board like 99% of other archetypal backrow, just that you have no Monsters in the Main Zones.

There are no complex plays, just straightforward utility. However if they run out of rayes and hornet drones they scoop because then they have no way of going into their links.

Its been meta for AGES now.

Also its mecha musume waifu trash so its double trash

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 27, 2019

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah, it turns out having archetypal, searchable, non-Once-Per-Turn Pot of Greed, Snatch Steal, Spellbook of Judgment, Pot of Duality, and Monster Reborn (which still become ROTA, Effect Veiler and D.D. Crow in the worst case), also with an in-theme recurrable Dark Magician of Chaos, is uh, pretty good! (For non-card game players, tl;dr half of those cards are banned currently or historically and Sky Striker's toolkit is mostly analogous to them).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I don't keep up with yugioh too much anymore but I was tickled that they brought back thunder dragon and actually made it really good

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Raserys posted:

I don't keep up with yugioh too much anymore but I was tickled that they brought back thunder dragon and actually made it really good

Oh, it's ridiculous the kind of boards that Thunder Dragon can make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZAJe742D20

Granted, this video is possible also in part because Guardragons are busted out the rear end, but even still.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raserys posted:

Thunder Dragon has always been a pretty reasonable card for effect if not stats.

There are not many cards from so far back that can say that outside of Witch and Sangan

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though the advent of Nibiru kind of hurt Thunder dragons bad.

Though Gran Maju is meta relevant again which is kind of hilarious.

Yu gi oh meta is kind of the Wild West right now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though the advent of Nibiru kind of hurt Thunder dragons bad.

Though Gran Maju is meta relevant again which is kind of hilarious.

Yu gi oh meta is kind of the Wild West right now

That card always seemed like a “when will he be playable” with the way Yugioh treats banishing so that’s neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That card always seemed like a “when will he be playable” with the way Yugioh treats banishing so that’s neat

Yeah you can do an OTK or even a semi control strategy if Gran fails thanks to a new snake monster and the golden castle of stromberg from the Yu gi oh season no one cares about