Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mahoning posted:

If the whistleblower complaint is declassified, can’t one of the reps on the House Intelligence Committee just tell us all what’s in it?

Honestly, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they are holding it til morning for the drama of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mahoning posted:

If the whistleblower complaint is declassified, can’t one of the reps on the House Intelligence Committee just tell us all what’s in it?

They need to know what was redacted. Also holding it until the morning news cycle for absolute maximum power.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

It occurs to me, this is only what he did literally the day after the Mueller report. Reading the notes/transcript it's super clear he felt like that was a green light for him to do whatever he wanted. Wonder what else he's been up to in the time between then and now that hasn't come out yet.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1177004656163049472?s=20
:downs:

it's parody....i think?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i mean removing a republican senator to be VP is kinda a dream situation.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I don't think it is since other LA Times opinion writers are making GBS threads on it

https://twitter.com/hiltzikm/status/1177071544285069312

Edit: Maybe it is a joke, who the gently caress knows anymore?

quote:

I ran my idea by Joel Benenson, chief strategist for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, deciding he was best poised to make it happen. Knowing how threatened experts get when presented with genius solutions by a layperson, I humbly added, “I know I’m a political novice.”

“You’re being too kind to yourself,” he said. “It’s a terrible idea. It’s bad on so many levels.”

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Ok if this isn’t parody I’m going insane.

quote:

I ran my idea by Joel Benenson, chief strategist for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, deciding he was best poised to make it happen. Knowing how threatened experts get when presented with genius solutions by a layperson, I humbly added, “I know I’m a political novice.”

“You’re being too kind to yourself,” he said. “It’s a terrible idea. It’s bad on so many levels.”

Benenson argued that picking a member of the other party is a Hail Mary pass, and you don’t start a game with a Hail Mary pass. “It suggests a fear that you can’t win this election on your own merits, which is going to undermine your own campaign,” he said. “The worst signal you can send to the general electorate is ‘I’m afraid of losing.’” Voters, he said, want a strong leader. It’s an even more important quality than not having an email server.

Worse, Benenson said my idea wasn’t original. “A lot of people think of this. Not political professionals,” he said. “You guys think, ‘That would get Republicans to vote for you.’ No! No one votes based on who the vice president is.”

Apparently Benenson doesn’t remember the riveting vice presidential debates in which Mike Pence faced off against that guy who was like a senator or governor from Maryland or Virginia or one of the Carolinas.

I also ran my idea past someone who has been directly involved in choosing past vice presidential nominees, but that person thought my idea was so bad he or she refused to be named in this column.

“If a bill to protect a women’s right to choose comes to a tie vote in the Senate, would Marco Rubio vote how President Democrat wishes, or his own views? Would Jeb Bush go to Capitol Hill and lobby for President Democrat’s key healthcare legislation?” the person asked. “Your position makes sense if blue versus red is a color war, but if policies matter, you can’t ask voters to put into power someone diametrically opposed to them.”

I was feeling pretty chastened, until I realized my mistake. I was asking hard-core, lifelong Democrats to give something to a Republican. To get more thoughtful feedback, I needed to call a Republican.

“I love the idea,” said Republican political strategist Rick Wilson.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It is definitely parody.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Seems like a takedown of the split ticket idea more than anything.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sanders/warren, you heard it here first :v:

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Kill Bristol posted:

Ok if this isn’t parody I’m going insane.

This is very obviously a satirical column and would need an additional THIS IS A FUNNY flashing disclaimer to be more obvious

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SpaceDrake posted:

And likely happened because Trump was emboldened after the failure of Mueller.

I think there's a desire to fit things into a coherent narrative so that it feels like everything led here, but it seems way simpler than that. Trump is a corrupt, criminal idiot. His campaign involved crimes. He's been doing crimes since he got into office. His administration is full of corrupt criminals who just constantly do crimes for the hell of it. He should have already been impeached a hundred times over, so literally anything that doesn't result in him being removed from office is going to embolden him.

I don't actually think there's any kind of story that got us here, he just happened to finally do a crime that pissed off exactly the right people at the right time.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

bird cooch posted:

I love big cats. I spent 10 years living in an area where cougars absolutely lived and we often saw a sign and I always wanted to see one of the wild but generally that comes with being eaten by one.

I wish the world was more wild

Thanks for coming to my Tedx talk

Cheetahs are of course the most doggiest of cats. I'd love to be able to get to know one of them, and once upon a time that could have been possible. They tend to like people and yellow labs for some reason. Too bad there's only about 5000 of them left in wild. But now were left with counting the fat folds in the neck of an orange poo poo smear, so I guess there's that.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ascii genitals posted:

get high as gently caress

Wisdom.

This poo poo is going to come out when it comes out. The White House will gently caress it up and Trump will fly into perhaps the biggest narcissistic rage we've ever witnessed, which will shoot himself in the drat foot.

Also he'll attempt to shut down the government to cover up his crimes, which will also hilariously backfire.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Arglebargle III posted:

It is definitely parody.

I fell for it :smith:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Otteration posted:

Cheetahs are of course the most doggiest of cats. I'd love to be able to get to know one of them, and once upon a time that could have been possible. They tend to like people and yellow labs for some reason. Too bad there's only about 5000 of them left in wild. But now were left with counting the fat folds in the neck of an orange poo poo smear, so I guess there's that.

Yeah that really bums me out. I always I thought that if I somehow became a wildly wealthy person I would start a breeding company for all of these incredible animals that are just going to fade into nothing.

But I don't have the built-in drive to become wealthy it's just not part of my soul.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Between this and McConnell suddenly funding election security last week it seems like the powers that ne are finally sick of Trump's poo poo.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Xand_Man posted:

Between this and McConnell suddenly funding election security last week it seems like the powers that ne are finally sick of Trump's poo poo.

word? I had no idea this happened

e: like for real funded it or was it just some weak bullshit

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

pahuyuth posted:

Border wall got drone striked too.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pahuyuth posted:

e: like for real funded it or was it just some weak bullshit

Weak bullshit.

It provides funding, but the turtle stripped out every mandate or guideline for Actual Security. So if you have a secstate who's into security--great!

If you have, say, the now-governor of Georgia....y'all hosed.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

OAquinas posted:

Weak bullshit.

It provides funding, but the turtle stripped out every mandate or guideline for Actual Security. So if you have a secstate who's into security--great!

If you have, say, the now-governor of Georgia....y'all hosed.

I am, in fact, in Georgia. so yea. hosed. thanks for crushing that fleeting feeling of hope I had

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Oh bad news the wall is still on, Trump can veto still

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

bird cooch posted:

Yeah that really bums me out. I always I thought that if I somehow became a wildly wealthy person I would start a breeding company for all of these incredible animals that are just going to fade into nothing.

But I don't have the built-in drive to become wealthy it's just not part of my soul.

Zoos right now are kinda sort of taking care of it. Rather not have wildly wealthy persons do it, as they tend to gently caress poo poo up. Wild spaces would be better, if possible.

Or of course the number of fat folds in the neck of the orange poo poo smear. Whatever's more important. :)

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Christ, what a day. "oh, btw CSPAM's got the piss tape" is, like, a footnote.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s not the real piss tape tho? At least as far as I had heard.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pahuyuth posted:

I am, in fact, in Georgia. so yea. hosed. thanks for crushing that fleeting feeling of hope I had

Really, thinking that McConnell would let something like that slip. The man has a reputation to uphold!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kill Bristol posted:

If it's a fake, someone made an extremely convincing fake, likely in the actual hotel room. I wouldn't be shocked if GRU did it to try to blackmail him with a convincing enough fake

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

eviltastic posted:

Christ, what a day. "oh, btw CSPAM's got the piss tape" is, like, a footnote.

LOL they've had the pisstape for months; it's just getting more confirmations

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Otteration posted:

Zoos right now are kinda sort of taking care of it. Rather not have wildly wealthy persons do it, as they tend to gently caress poo poo up. Wild spaces would be better, if possible.

Or of course the number of fat folds in the neck of the orange poo poo smear. Whatever's more important. :)

Yeah now that you mentioning it, it would be a much smarter option to just wildly fund zoos that have repopulation programs.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 26, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/theviewfromll2/status/1176988287392784384?s=21
https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status/1176919529584152576?s=21

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Kill Bristol posted:

I was being glib - if you care the Ashley Feinberg piece goes into enough depth.

Xand_Man posted:

LOL they've had the pisstape for months; it's just getting more confirmations

To be clear my intent was a quick joke about these here forums being referenced by an actual good journalist, not to imply that thread happened recently.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Also since I missed a few things in this hyperspace thread

lurker2006 posted:

Don't lie on the internet.

Naw but, I'm actually kinda serious - if he really did do something tremendously horrific like promise to not intervene in a full RF takeover of Ukraine, and then this leaks out before the Russian army was supposed to cross the border, things are going to be entirely too loving real very quickly. There's a handful of other things that could be that scale. I hope it isn't that bad and doesn't spark a conflict somewhere on its reveal.

Data Graham posted:

I don't disagree with any of this, but it does make me kinda mad to think that Trump has been right all along by making it all about Ratings

I mean, it's infuriating to say, but how the public fits their consumption of current events into their wider lives has an enormous effect on their perception of such events and who they hear of events from; Trump proved as far back as the 20th century that he was an absolute master of controlling that, at least, before dementia robbed him of all rational faculties.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

bird cooch posted:

Yeah now that you mentioning it, it would be a much smarter option to just wildly fund zoos that have repopulation programs.

Yep, or help unfuck Africa. But such is life.

Not Africa, nor orange neck folds tax:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also since I missed a few things in this hyperspace thread

Naw but, I'm actually kinda serious - if he really did do something tremendously horrific like promise to not intervene in a full RF takeover of Ukraine, and then this leaks out before the Russian army was supposed to cross the border, things are going to be entirely too loving real very quickly. There's a handful of other things that could be that scale. I hope it isn't that bad and doesn't spark a conflict somewhere on its reveal.

my tom Clancy fear/thought is basicaly that too except i think russia told trump that kiev had all that poo poo(biden and clinton emails/etc) and trump asked russia to try to get it or like you said agreed that he would look the other way and than he threatened ukraine with that. i mean gently caress, maybe he said he would side with russia against ukraine. idk. i feel like it has to be stupidly bad if its blowing up this loving fast.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 26, 2019

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my tom Clancy fear/thought is basicaly that too except i think russia told trump that kiev had all that poo poo(biden and clinton emails/etc) and trump asked russia to try to get it or like you said agreed that he would look the other way and than he threatened ukraine with that. i mean gently caress, maybe he said he would side with russia against ukraine. idk. i feel like it has to be stupidly bad if its blowing up this loving fast.

I can see this plausibility being the case. Putin tells trump that Ukraine has dirt on a few made up russiabot conspiracies, trump is dumb enough to believe Putin, trump sells out Ukraine to extort the non-existent information, Putin invades a newly weakened Ukraine.

Total Clancychat, totally plausible.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 26, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rabble posted:

I can see this plausibility being the case.

yeah i don't loving know. i feel like it can't possibly be that bad, but even the GOP is shook and they basicaly talked about the russia thing like it was nothing. i am sure they will try to do the same thing like this but everyone has a breakpoint and this feels like it might be one. like if the stuff we know isn't the whole thing and its worse, than what could it be. i mean i am seeing never trumper chuds panic and those fucks kissed trump rear end with mueller. the GOP has going dark.

like my guilty plesure early clancy stuff and dumb speculative contempary military/spook thrillers video games bullshit and now i am trying to use my weird tired goon brain to figure out what possible thing could actually happen. its scary.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 26, 2019

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Flesh Forge posted:

I fell for it :smith:

Joel Stein is mostly known for writing “humor columns” that aren’t funny and sometimes come off as just racist so I wouldn’t worry about it

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/IMAGAssociation/status/1176885538466537474

The US won't be leaving the UPU, they reached a compromise on the postal rates. Good news for all of us, including Trump since it's technically a win for him. Great day for the administration!!!

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I for one and just thankful that there aren't any tiny cannons shots or Twitter teases involved in this news embargo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

https://twitter.com/IMAGAssociation/status/1176885538466537474

The US won't be leaving the UPU, they reached a compromise on the postal rates. Good news for all of us, including Trump since it's technically a win for him. Great day for the administration!!!

Thank loving god, this would have been catastrophic.