Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Human Tornada posted:

Snap Judgements Presents: Spooked.

True scary stories told by the people who experienced them on a wide range of topics, from ghosts to kidnappings. It only airs around Halloween time so they can be selective about which stories make the cut, and the production values are really good.

I just don't usually find ghost stories scary usually although Snap Judgement has managed to once or twice scare me over the years so I am gonna try this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
This season isn't bad but apparently you only get half the season as more episodes are released on the luminary app/site.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alright, nevermind about Snap Judgement Spooked then

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Comedy option: the Boogie Monster With Kyle Kinane and Dave Stone.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I really enjoyed the first few seasons of Those Conspiracy Guys but it has gone downhill in recent years (basically after one of the main hosts, Paul, left IMO). It has a lot of comedy in it, but I think they do a good job of covering the basics of various conspiracies. I especially liked the Madeleine McCann one.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I need some podcast help!

I'm using Adobe Audition with NT-USB RØDE mics, and when I record in MME it sounds great. But when I try to record using ASIO (using ASIO4ALL) it sounds terrible - like really tinny. Any idea what the problem could be?

I want to use ASIO because I want to record three USB mics at once through the same computer, which works fine but yeah the audio is tinny. But even if I only try recording one mic through ASIO it sounds just as bad. Help!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Gripweed posted:

This might overlap a bit with the conspiracy theory conversation, but can anyone recommend good spooky podcasts for the upcoming spooky Halloween season? Stuff about ghosts or aliens, or even true crime stuff as long as it's more spooky than sad. Like, spooky disappearances, not sad child murders.

Just no fiction, I don't approve of it, and no Last Podcast on the Left.

Have you tried Lore? I haven't listened in a couple years, but the early episodes were kind of this.

I'd recommend finding a topic up the alley (say, the Dyatlov Pass or sightings of a particular cryptid) and searching around to find podcasts that covered it, then use that to figure out what you like. I've had good luck doing that with the Hinterkaifeck murders.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I actually used to listen to Lore! I don't remember why I stopped.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Disco De Soto posted:

I need some podcast help!

I'm using Adobe Audition with NT-USB RØDE mics, and when I record in MME it sounds great. But when I try to record using ASIO (using ASIO4ALL) it sounds terrible - like really tinny. Any idea what the problem could be?

I want to use ASIO because I want to record three USB mics at once through the same computer, which works fine but yeah the audio is tinny. But even if I only try recording one mic through ASIO it sounds just as bad. Help!

Not sure how to fix that, but have you tried using voicemeeter Banana?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Harminoff posted:

Not sure how to fix that, but have you tried using voicemeeter Banana?

Actually I think I found the problem - for some reason the default sample rate for ASIO in Adobe Audition was set to only 8,000 hz where it should have been 48,000 hz. Should have noticed that MME was 48,000 hz but I'm kinda new to this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK sorry for the totally newbie question, I'm not a podcast person, but I love Scott Thompson.
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/earwolf-premium/ptsdiva
This says Stitcher Premium, the only way to get it is with a paid plan, right?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Yes.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

The Xbox Underground episode of Darknet Diaries is loving amazing. Along with that I've been listening to Confronting OJ and I've highly enjoyed that podcast as well. I was 13 when the trial happened and I don't really remember much about it other than my Grandmother being super obsessed with it, watching it daily, and when she came and stayed with us for 2 weeks refused to take my sister and I anywhere during the day when the trail was on.

I'm sure it's also been recommended here but just want to reiterate how awesome the last 7 episodes of Behind the Bastards has been.

I'm pretty sure that Grandmother you described will be what all of us become, if we haven't already. I'll toast to her. My next gulp of Stella is for your Grandmother!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SalTheBard posted:

The Xbox Underground episode of Darknet Diaries is loving amazing. Along with that I've been listening to Confronting OJ and I've highly enjoyed that podcast as well. I was 13 when the trial happened and I don't really remember much about it other than my Grandmother being super obsessed with it, watching it daily, and when she came and stayed with us for 2 weeks refused to take my sister and I anywhere during the day when the trail was on.

I'm sure it's also been recommended here but just want to reiterate how awesome the last 7 episodes of Behind the Bastards has been.

I live in Perth and I'm pretty sure some intern at our Sunday newspaper just listened to the episode because it was basically transcribed into a full-tabloid-page article.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I have a recco but I was hesitant to post it because I typically hear about solid podcasts like this through this sub forum and just thought it was already posted

Regardless, it’s called The Lady Vanished and it’s very much the same format as Up and Vanished it’s an investigation of a daughter’s missing mother in Australia who has been missing for 20 years, I’m just over half way through catching up but it (it’s currently on going) is great IMO lots of potential what ifs and such, do yourself a favour and listen to at least the first two episodes

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Any podcasts like Disect or This Particular Album is Very, Very Important to Me?

I like the long to medium form breakdowns of albums, but struggle to find podcasts with music I actually know?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The requiem metal podcast has covered a wide range of metal and proto-metal/rock. They talk about single albums sometimes or eras of a band’s career, or various local scenes and how they evolved.

Also the Rick Rubin/ Malcolm Gladwell podcast might be good too but I still haven’t listened.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Hit Parade is more artist-focused (or trend-focused) but the music is stuff that charted so you'll probably have heard of it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
The missing crypto queen is an interesting BBC podcast for anybody interested in cryptocurrency / fraud / mafia / cults.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

life is a joke posted:

https://twitter.com/gossipmongers1/status/1137439531563659264

nooooo my favorite thread recommendation. Sure they say it'll be back but I mean that sounds like the sort of thing where there never is a season 2, if the history of these "brb hiatus" statuses continues.

Good news, it's back. 10 eps in this series.
Stoshty.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SoylentCola posted:

Good news, it's back. 10 eps in this series.
Stoshty.

Yeah, pretty strong one right out of the gates.

Maybe I posted it before, or someone else did, but get rich nick is a funny podcast about two comedians trying stupid jobs in order to get rich (they totally loving don't).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I miss the Loveline and Coast to Coast threads. I'm tempted to start a '90s late night radio thread' which includes both of them but will literally dwell on this for a few years before deciding.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 3, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So I'm at a part of the year where I need to spit out a lot of podcasts while being in front of a computer screen that has a lot of information on it, and not have to spend a ton of time editing them. In the past I've just plugged my mic in via USB directly into my macbook, fired up audacity, record a bunch, edited a bunch and uploaded them all to podbean without a problem.

Apparently there is an audacity bug with Catalina though that doesn't allow it to recognize external mics.

Is there another good free app for doing this? Garageband doesn't like you to have a bunch of projects open at once and I edit in a different room than I record so stopping to edit each one is a big pain. Not to mention that apparently the tempo of my outro music is wrong so it has come out all squished.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Lampsacus posted:

I miss the Loveline and Coast to Coast threads. I'm tempted to start a '90s late night radio thread' which includes both of them but will literally dwell on this for a few years before deciding.

as the guy who started the original loveline thread, yes please do this

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
We really need a podcast app that insta-deletes or marks as played any content less than five minutes.
So tired of all these episode previews/patreon ep sample bullshits cluttering up my feed....im subscribed to a LOT of podcasts motherfucker!!!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I genuinely do not understand doing previews at all (unless the podcaster puts an ad in) or doing Patreon previews in the main feed. That poo poo is enough to make me unsubscribe.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Azathoth posted:

I genuinely do not understand doing previews at all (unless the podcaster puts an ad in) or doing Patreon previews in the main feed. That poo poo is enough to make me unsubscribe.

For shows that don't have Patreons or other subscriptions I imagine it's them juking some kind of engagement metric, like the Conan O'Brien podcast doing repeats of episodes that only a month or two old just so they can brag about having a weekly release schedule.

And the thing about shows that have a Patreon or other subscription trying to do pester power by constantly dropping tiny previews in their main feed is that thanks to confirmation bias they only hear from people that actually works on rather than everyone else who finds that obnoxious and either doesn't subscribe or stops listening altogether out of spite or annoyance. It's so obviously the result of people with no real marketing or publicity skills just copying what their peers do and it seems like a lot of time and effort on their part with very little return on investment to have to add creating clips and and new wrappers for them and uploading them to feeds as part of their workload.

It's pretty telling that the one show I know that has someone with an actual background in marketing on it (Kole Ross of Watch Out For Fireballs/Abject Suffering/Bonefireside Chat/etc) doesn't do that and instead opts to just occasionally give a full episode of a premium show on their regular feed as a taste of what you're missing out on. And he's successful enough off of it to do podcasting as his full-time job now.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, there's only a couple shows that I subscribe to that do it, and they're all on slow release schedules so it's not a big deal, but yeah, I don't see how people stay subscribed to stuff like Conan that do it so blatantly.

My wife likes Stuff You Missed in History Class, so we listen to it on car trips and whatnot, and I don't think I've yet heard an episode that didn't have a "this is a rerun" wrapper around it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Some of them even rerun episodes in their entirety without a bumper beforehand so I hope you read the show notes!

I suppose I kind of understand that because there's got to be a lot of people that either
A) subscribe and don't start from the start or download the whole catalogue
B) only have a couple of podcasts and prefer seeing an old episode come up again than nothing

The weirdest one has to be Carolla shows. Even if you love the guy I can't imagine why you'd want to re-listen to an old ep.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have purchased episodes based on previews before. I’m sorry.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rick posted:

I have purchased episodes based on previews before. I’m sorry.

You're history's greatest monster.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just lol at the general glut of podcasts out there. "I've got a new podcast." It's like blogs in 2005.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lampsacus posted:

Just lol at the general glut of podcasts out there. "I've got a new podcast." It's like blogs in 2005.

The other day I was listening to Marc Maron interview Dennis Quaid, and he said he's got a podcast with Bob Dylan. Like lol what? But ok, pretty cool.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lampsacus posted:

I feel like we're several years past that point and people are only really noticing and talking about it now because people that are famous or otherwise established and successful are starting to make podcasts and it's making the established podcasters nervous. And frankly I'm glad of it, as a listener there's zero downside to having more options and thanks to Patreon having a small dedicated audience is really all you need so the only people who are threatened by this are the weird subculture of bay area/new york entertainment writers who gradually shifted to podcasting as the magazines and websites they worked for died and have been coasting on inertia and are now having people realize that there's nothing really special about what they do.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, the sheer volume of "a few friends BS with each other for a couple hours" is mind boggling. Anytime I want to find a podcast in an area I'm interested in, I've gotta wade through a dozen semi-popular ones that present 20 minutes of good information spread over 1-2 hours.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is this the chat thread?

I want to throttle 95% of the people in this week's This American Life. The victim's foster mom, when faced with the reality that she didn't believe her, and told the police she was probably lying, still blames the victim for acting weird.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PostNouveau posted:

I want to throttle 95% of the people in this week's This American Life.

:same:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, the sheer volume of "a few friends BS with each other for a couple hours" is mind boggling. Anytime I want to find a podcast in an area I'm interested in, I've gotta wade through a dozen semi-popular ones that present 20 minutes of good information spread over 1-2 hours.

The ones that are at least up front about being two friends BS-ing you at least know up front what it is and to skip it if you're not interested, it's really annoying when you find a show about a topic you're interested in and then it's just the backdrop to a guy and his friend taking two hours to read a wikipedia article out loud because they waste so much time talking about traffic and current events and what movies they've seen recently.

Honestly I really hope that those descriptive audio tracks for the blind that shows and movies have started adapting catch on and become something you can get stand-alone, because so many podcasts are just guys describing TV shows and movies scene-by-scene (sometimes punctuated by clips of the source material) and using that to launder their own personal hangups and observations to a captive audience and I'd honestly rather just cut out the middleman and have a listenable version of the show itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Is this the chat thread?

I want to throttle 95% of the people in this week's This American Life. The victim's foster mom, when faced with the reality that she didn't believe her, and told the police she was probably lying, still blames the victim for acting weird.

I want two different This American Life feeds. One for the depressing, horrifying, gently caress this gay earth episodes, and one for the quirky, funny, charming episodes. Then I will only subscribe to the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I gave up on This American Life a few years back when I hit my maximum allowable lifetime dose of David Sedaris