Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I have a sneaking suspicion that the GOP is telling themselves "ok this whole Manafort thing.... we might know its bad and wrong, but after a full half year of Manafort news, the American public is going to be confused and bored."

They might be right, and the Dems might be overestimating the voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Ok, it's Thursday morning. Gimme.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

i mean removing a republican senator to be VP is kinda a dream situation.

Someone kills the president within a month of inauguration.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Rigel posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the GOP is telling themselves "ok this whole Manafort thing.... we might know its bad and wrong, but after a full half year of Manafort news, the American public is going to be confused and bored."

They might be right, and the Dems might be overestimating the voters.

It's more likely that they'll try to deflect what can be proven on Trump's aides and throw Rudy to the wolves. "Sure it's bad form but the aides and crazy Rudy did it so Trump shouldn't be impeached".

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Isn't Trump fundraising 3 million in one night considered troublesome? Or is this normal for a party getting impeachment inquiries?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Grouchio posted:

Isn't Trump fundraising 3 million in one night considered troublesome? Or is this normal for a party getting impeachment inquiries?

It's normal for his incredibly conditioned rabid chud base. Trump could say he's facing a crisis of weasels exploding out of his anus thanks to Democrats and raise a million dollars.

The real question will be what the full scope of all this nonsense is and what impact that has on his image, especially for Republicans who are a bit more fair-weather at heart. If he's still raising millions after it comes out that he promised to deliver Volodymyr Zelensky directly to Moscow, covered in hand-dipped chocolate, then that will be a bit more worrying on a couple different levels.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
I was showerthinking and what's the move on which charges of impeachment to bring up and when? The Clinton impeachment was done as a lump sum because the Starr report did all the work for them but how does congress handle things if they are the ones building the case over time?

Can the House even do one charge at a time as evidence is lined up? That would work to keep Trumps dirt in the forefront of media. Or is it like all other bills now days that have be a huge omnibus package?

Personally I'm in favor just running them over to the senate as they pass and stack them up on McConnells doorstep like flaming bags of poo poo that he knows he will have step in but can't ignore.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The house just votes to impeach and that’s it. Doesn’t matter why. The evidence would be laid out in the senate trial, but the dems strategy is to rush this through because after getting the report today they see it as a slam dunk for grounds for impeachment. It’s probably a smart move, strike while the irons hot and beyond the reach of Barr’s obstruction and all. Forcing senate republicans to go on the record protecting a guilty as gently caress impeached Trump is good and the best likely outcome right now.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Why would you start believing Trump now?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Money they give to trump is money they don't give to republicans running in 2020, especially if trump gets impeached.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

bird cooch posted:

Why would you start believing Trump now?

Nah, it’s obvious that Trump is winning bigly right now and he’s got the Democrats right where he wants them.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Bottom Liner posted:

The house just votes to impeach and that’s it. Doesn’t matter why. The evidence would be laid out in the senate trial, but the dems strategy is to rush this through because after getting the report today they see it as a slam dunk for grounds for impeachment. It’s probably a smart move, strike while the irons hot and beyond the reach of Barr’s obstruction and all. Forcing senate republicans to go on the record protecting a guilty as gently caress impeached Trump is good and the best likely outcome right now.

Yeah, to be clear, the best result to hope for now, at least before we confirm we're living in the insane Clancy hell dimension, is that it's something blatantly illegal and easily impeachable, the House does so, and then McConnell has to explain why he's sitting on it for a year and likely force the Republicans to go full cognitive dissonance mode in what will be a hot election with an unpopular president. This, for all the :derp: we sometimes suffer from ITT, most likely won't very comfortable for swing voters, and make them easier to sway for someone like Sanders or Warren.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rabble posted:

I mean, I’m not huge into Clancy style spy/espionage but we already know that Trump looks up to Putin as something of a father figure, and that Trump is also dumb enough to fall for obvious conspiracy bullshit.

Trump fanfiction is stupid but this is even dumber.

Trump doesn’t look at Putin like his dad, he’s like the little pathetic hanger on who follows bullies to cheer them on.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I feel like every new crazy rear end reveal brings us one step closer to a distraction war with Iran.

“You can’t impeach a CiC during wartime!” is definitely a potential talking point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BigglesSWE posted:

I feel like every new crazy rear end reveal brings us one step closer to a distraction war with Iran.

“You can’t impeach a CiC during wartime!” is definitely a potential talking point.

only enormous idiots would trot that out if the war were declared after the impeachment process began

which means its inevitable given who we're dealing with

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

empty whippet box posted:

It's becoming impossible to talk about anything he does without noting how dumb it is.

That's because after years of people saying how stupid he was and having tons of examples of it, the people that should have known are finally starting to notice now that the decorum shield has been removed.
Now comes the media hot takes where they talk about Trump's stupidity like it's some amazing new finding only they could see and are telling everyone about now

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Reminder Zelensky is a professional actor and comedian.

In fact:
https://twitter.com/DjangoWexler/status/1176968165848305664

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Arturo Ui posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet, Rep Stefanik, who has seen the complaint, basically calling it a nothingburger. Her district is only an R+4 so seems like it might not be quite as damning as indicated (or she's, much like Trump, really fuckin dumb)

https://twitter.com/EliseStefanik/status/1176990490308304897

20 bucks she skimmed it and stuck to her predetermined answer. As the other poster said, she's Republican you dolt

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Arturo Ui posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet, Rep Stefanik, who has seen the complaint, basically calling it a nothingburger. Her district is only an R+4 so seems like it might not be quite as damning as indicated (or she's, much like Trump, really fuckin dumb)

https://twitter.com/EliseStefanik/status/1176990490308304897

It's September 26, 2019 and you're trusting a republican congresswoman about whether a document you haven't read shows bad things about Donald Trump.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
I don’t know much about the technicalities of impeachment hearings. But is there a possibility the house votes and the senate just says “gently caress you” and doesn’t do anything?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

I don’t know much about the technicalities of impeachment hearings. But is there a possibility the house votes and the senate just says “gently caress you” and doesn’t do anything?

It is a near-certainty that this is exactly what will happen. The point of these impeachment hearings are not necessarily to remove Trump from office; they are to slime him and his administration.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CelestialScribe posted:

The Constitution posted:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

This is all the Constitution says about the Senate's role in impeachment.

So John Roberts will be in charge of the trial, but when do they have to hold it? How is it structured? Do they even have to hold a vote? Basically all of that is up to the Senate, and McConnell gets to call all the shots. He can gently caress around with anything that isn't strictly in that Constitutional passage, and maybe even those parts, depending on how obliging the Supreme Court is.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I think the question is "can the Senate just not hold an impeachment trial at all?" The answer is: it's never been tried before and would (rightfully) be seen as a dereliction of constitutional duty, but it's unlikely that the Supreme Court would step in to force McConnell to hold a timely trial.

You might notice that McConnell is most famous for dereliction of constitutional duty.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kinda feel like I'm gonna wake up tomorrow morning and this thread will have 12000 new posts.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

kinda feel like I'm gonna wake up tomorrow morning and this thread will have 12000 new posts.

Inshallah.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

CelestialScribe posted:

They were talking about this on the 538 podcast this week, basically thats probably whats going to happen. But it will look super bad for McConnell going into an election year and potentially ramp up dem support for obstruction. Which in all honesty, might be the Dems main angle with this. Being able to go to their base and go "We did all we could, you need to vote to get these fuckers out of the senate when you get the chance."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Examiner has turned on Trump!?

Didn't think it was possible.

https://mobile.twitter.com/QuinHill...genumber%3D1930

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CyberPingu posted:

They were talking about this on the 538 podcast this week, basically thats probably whats going to happen. But it will look super bad for McConnell going into an election year and potentially ramp up dem support for obstruction. Which in all honesty, might be the Dems main angle with this. Being able to go to their base and go "We did all we could, you need to vote to get these fuckers out of the senate when you get the chance."

I really hope the rumblings about limiting impeachment to just the Ukraine thing and rushing it through before their coach turns into a pumpkin aren't true because it's basically the only way Democrats can still fail to impress the base now. They already have the obstruction charges teed up by Mueller! Use 'em!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I live in Korea and it happened to me this morning. Plowed through all of them though.

Couldn't come close in CSPAM though :lol:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I really hope the rumblings about limiting impeachment to just the Ukraine thing and rushing it through before their coach turns into a pumpkin aren't true because it's basically the only way Democrats can still fail to impress the base now. They already have the obstruction charges teed up by Mueller! Use 'em!

They way they were phrasing it sounded more like getting McConnell banged on obstruction charges too.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

CuddleCryptid posted:

Holy poo poo.

It's the ultimate projection of all.

Her Emails His Calls

Eh, my reading is that it’s the opposite?

If the article is correct and I understand it right, what the whistleblower is saying is that Trump’s aides had everything around this issue declared a Special Access Program which means it gets shunted off of the regular unclassified, secret, and top secret networks and kept on an isolated network specifically designed to keep information closely held to participants.

So where the entire Butter E-Mails scandal was around how Clinton may have taken classified (secret) information and treated it as unclassified (by sending it to personal accounts on personal uncleared servers), this Ukraine scandal may be that the Trump Administration over classified their information, and did so specifically to make sure that their crimes were hidden from the rest of government.

It’s the old complaint of “the government creates super secret programs so they can hide their war crimes from the public and avoid trial” except replace “war crimes” with “mob crimes”.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CyberPingu posted:

48 hours ago removal from office was out of the question. With how shook all the gop were after reading the whistleblower report today, it feels like anything is possible, especially with the rest of the developments of the last 24 hours.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

48 hours ago removal from office was out of the question. With how shook all the gop were after reading the whistleblower report today, it feels like anything is possible, especially with the rest of the developments of the last 24 hours.

Literally not one Republican has turned on Trump, what makes this any different from all of the other scandals? He will maintain his ~40% floor and the lickspittles like Graham will remain in lockstep.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Wilhelm posted:

Literally not one Republican has turned on Trump, what makes this any different from all of the other scandals? He will maintain his ~40% floor and the lickspittles like Graham will remain in lockstep.

Click my post history or I guess pick any 2-3 of the last 50 pages of the thread?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1177003605024526336?s=21

he’s shook

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
"Please define 'impeachable offense'?"

"Being Democrat".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CyberPingu posted:

But really, is there actually a point to McConnell doing this? Just have the trial and have the Republicans vote to acquit. Unless McConnell expects a mass defection.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Should this impeachment process fail in any way, you think this would embolden Trump even further and make him commit even more egregious crimes as a result?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This feels like another ah well nevertheless moment. Is there a good writeup on why this is worse than everything he's done so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In theory impeachment investigations give the house extra powers that in theory allow them to ram past a bunch of the stonewalling the White House has been doing on all of their shady history (Trump's finances just to start), right? Any chance they'll have a go at that, or are they going to stick to just the whistleblower and not look at the ten thousand other illegal things.