Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our little Mr. Man just turned 3 months and JUST finally stopped only holding his head to one side (like in the past few days) and while he would track stuff kinda, we were beginning to wonder. Then he just, like, instantly started doing it.

That stuff all happens at totally different times and please don't feel shame from watching videos of other babies! If you're honestly concerned, talk to your pediatrician, otherwise know it will happen in time and just enjoy your baby being small because for all the talk of "the time goes by too fast" that poo poo really DOES fly by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And when it comes to a lot of milestones like that, the kids just randomly choose what they want to focus on and will develop at their own pace. Plus, a lot of milestones they'll hit literally overnight. We're juuuuuuuuust about to start crawling now. One day he popped up on all fours and started rocking. There was no lead up to this. Just one evening, poof, up on all 4s. Then one morning he pulled himself up in his crib with no warning. Our baby also struggled with tummy time, and he hated it. Then over the course of just a few days, he suddenly became an expert at it. Then he started rolling. There was only about a week or two between when he first started sitting up and when he was so good at it we didn't need to worry about him falling back. I know it's stereotypical to say they grow up so fast, but they really do. One morning you wake up and they want to stand in your lap and it comes from absolutely nowhere.

We have a cousin with a baby born one month before ours and it's interesting to see them choose what they want to work on. Their baby is already crawling but has no teeth while ours has 2. Theirs was better on tummy time but ours rolled over first. The babies will just randomly choose one or two things to work on at a time. It's only a problem if you miss a milestone by a significant margin. If a baby that's 2.5 months struggles on his tummy, whatever, give it time and work on it. If a baby 6 months struggles on his tummy, then I'd worry.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

It was like a switch flipped one day where our baby was suddenly ok with tummy time and not just going on a skills strike and yelling straight into the floor (riiiight around 3 mos). To make it more bearable for yourself until your baby wants to work on it, I’d second having them on your chest/belly while you recline.

She’s now devoting about 80% of her play time to learning to crawl and I basically can’t stop her from rolling onto her belly to practice. Your pedi can check if anything looks weird, but their development comes in fits and starts as they get stronger and things ‘click’.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My oldest didn't talk until he was 2, maybe 2 1/2. He didn't even really babble, and it took him a long time to get chatty. He had a speech impediment, a mild lispy thing that he has eventually grown out of now at 8. As he's grown, we realized his issue wasn't really with the physicality of his mouth, it was likely his brain. It's hard for him to tell stories and he's a bit socially awkward, and I wonder if that personality quirk is what kept him from talking for so long.

My second oldest talked early, but she babbled for years. No clear words or sentences, just lots of baby talk and gibberish. She started getting clearer around 4, and now she narrates stories to herself all day while playing with Lego and drawing. And her enunciation is crystal clear now at 6.

With both kids, we spent a LONG time worrying about stuff. We took them to speech therapists, we compared them to other kids, we worried about their futures. While it's good to be aware of things to look out for, it's hard to remember that all kids develop at their own pace.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Crazyweasel posted:

Anyone have any tips on making something like tummy time more enjoyable, and what were your own experiences?

What they said, regarding comparing your baby with others and "milestones". ^^^^

If you feel that you want to take some action, keep in mind that physical development in such a young baby is going to happen on baby's terms. There is only so much you as a parent can do to help.

If you are breastfeeding and you want to get some more neck/back training in, you can try some different nursing positions and see how it goes. We used the laid-back position a lot, and our baby was very early at holding her head up. Hard to know if it was related though, maybe she was just born with strong neck muscles?

https://youtu.be/XZfGzJBBwME

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My son hated tummy time with a burning passion, but also could only roll back to front for the longest time. This meant we would put him down on his back, he'd instantly roll onto his front, then commence enraged yelling. He only started to be okay with it at 6 months which is also when he started hauling himself forward in a proto-commando crawl. It took him until 8 months to roll front to back, which is meant to be like the earliest thing babies do movement wise, but he seems to be developing fine regardless of that late movement milestone.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Worrying about developmental milestones is the road to madness, in my opinion. Just hit all your doctor appointments for suggested screenings and let the professionals tell you if something needs working on.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, everyone else already covered this but we were assessed for early intervention at the 1.5-2mo mark and I remember the last telling us that almost every baby assessed at that age will qualify simply because it's normal for kids to be all over the place developmentally. If you're really worried you can ask your Dr about those early intervention services though - we discontinued at 6mo because, surprise, he's fine and we didn't need to be taking up their time, but they were very helpful.

For the record, our enormous little lad didn't roll either direction until he was 5 months. Then he started easily rolling both ways within a week.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

PerniciousKnid posted:

Worrying about developmental milestones is the road to madness, in my opinion. Just hit all your doctor appointments for suggested screenings and let the professionals tell you if something needs working on.

A friend told me yesterday that if she could go back in time, she'd burn all her parenting books. They made her constantly worry about milestones.

Her kid is just fine.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I take a sick pleasure in handing my baby over to random people at parties and having the baby reach up and try to get back to Daddy.

I've had so many babies try to escape me through the years, it's so flattering to be the one wanted for once.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm starting to think of a nice way to tell my son's school that we won't be doing any more daily homework other than reading books and any fun extra projects they're suppose to do. The fighting and the tantrums are really not worth it. He's tired from being at school all day. *i'm* tired from teaching all day myself. We just want to hang out and do puzzles and poo poo.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Homework for young/mid elementary schoolers is dumb as heck and I hope hope hope the pendulum is swinging the other way by the time my kid is in school.

Marshmallow houses and whatnot excepted, of course.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm back in a classroom for the first time in 10 years (12 for a school in the states) and I'm frankly amazed at how much the pendulum has swung against homework. When I was in training the expectation was at least an hour per class for high school students, and a flat half-hour for elementary, whereas I'm hearing now to keep it at just 5 minutes per grade level overall.
Granted that's not going to be anything like universal for another generation yet, thanks to conservatives making a hardline opposition to education reform a central platform. My city STILL doesn't have comprehensive sex ed.

edit- uh, hi parenting thread. this is my redtext. redtext, meet my parenting thread.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Our 4 month old started sleeping really badly, he would start tossing and turning violently after about half an hour of sleep, and would get so worked up and upset that it took ages to calm him down.
I'm not sure what worked in the end, but my theory is that when we started leaving the light on, he was able to wake up and see something familiar. I don't think he was afraid of the dark, but I do think he was upset by the lack of being able to see.
Of course, he also released a poo that he'd been storing up for a week, and got better at sticking his hand in his mouth in his sleep, both of which I'm sure help a lot.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Maybe I’ll have to start leaving the light on again. My kid has been waking up almost every hour since she started daycare. It’s been brutal. :( we don’t swaddle her anymore — she sleeps in a nested bean sleep sack and sucks her thumb.

At first I thought maybe she was overtired because she wasn’t napping well but yesterday she napped three times, one 30 min nap in the morning, an hour at lunch, and one and a half hours (???) in the afternoon.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son's school, being a private school specifically for kids with autism, mixes in a lot of life skills teaching into the usual academics. Today, for cooking, they made fried apples. So now we have to make fried apples at home too (I don't mind, I'd just never thought of it).

He did prove himself to quite clearly be my child, though, when he requested that we not use any added sugar, because the ones they made at school were "too sweet". I feel you there, child. I don't like stuff being overly sweet either.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 3yo is potty training and had gone a month without any accidents, but now she's having several in a row. I feel bad for her, because she's very upset about it. I'm hoping it's because of her stomach bug last week and she'll get back on track as she recovers.

No UTI according to doctor so I guess she's just regressing for some reason or other. Maybe the residual stomach pain is masking the bladder signals?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
During potty training my daughter would get overconfident in her ability to make it to the toilet before having an accident and would ignore the initial gotta pee signals. I basically drilled in the Daniel Tiger potty song about having to stop and go right away.

Shes 5 now and tbh she will probably have an accident once every few months for the same reason. The only real difference is her bladder control is stronger so she will only pee herself a little instead of entirely.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone have any trouble connecting a WiFi camera to hotel WiFi? I’ve got a Wansview camera and it requires the camera to scan a QR code on the phone in order to connect to the WiFi, and it just won’t finish connecting. It keeps saying that the password was incorrect, but as many of you know, most hotel chains in the US don’t have WiFi passwords—they are just open and connect via acknowledgement on a website. Could use any insight here because a small hotel room leaves not a lot of options to sit in the room and do anything while the toddler sleeps.

My plan was to have the camera connected and just check on him through the app while I sit in the lobby (literally down the hall) and watch my iPad or something and eat dinner. Now I don’t feel comfortable leaving the room without a way to monitor him. Our cordless (non-WiFi) monitor would not reach far so we didn’t bring it.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

life is killing me posted:

My plan was to have the camera connected and just check on him through the app while I sit in the lobby (literally down the hall) and watch my iPad or something and eat dinner. Now I don’t feel comfortable leaving the room without a way to monitor him. Our cordless (non-WiFi) monitor would not reach far so we didn’t bring it.

If you have multiple smartphones with you, can one be dedicated to a hotspot? Alternatively, if you have two phones and are comfortable with audio-only you can use one to call the other and leave them on speakerphone with the end in the room muted. That's what we used to do instead of a baby monitor if we wanted to be at the neighborhood BBQ in the driveway next door.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Alterian posted:

I'm starting to think of a nice way to tell my son's school that we won't be doing any more daily homework other than reading books and any fun extra projects they're suppose to do. The fighting and the tantrums are really not worth it. He's tired from being at school all day. *i'm* tired from teaching all day myself. We just want to hang out and do puzzles and poo poo.

I make my oldest do maybe half the poo poo he brings home. In 3rd grade, they are supposed to read every day, journal about it, do some math pages and then finish whatever leftover stuff they bring home. And it's all in Spanish, since it's a dual immersion class. I make him do the worksheets and read if he wants to, and maybe do a journal a week. His afternoon is his time to play with his siblings, veg on the couch, and practice piano. It's basically the same attitude I have for all my kids, their afternoons are their relaxing time. They get so little time to be kids, especially on schoolday afternoons before we start the evening routine of dinner/bath/bed.

I have had a few teachers over the years remind me about the journals and stuff, but for the most part nothing has been required to the point that they would hold him back. I check in with them once a week or so, just to be sure everyone is doing ok. I've never really had any of their teachers give us crap about half-assing the homework. And if they did, I am prepared to dig in and fight against it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Dr. Chaco posted:

If you have multiple smartphones with you, can one be dedicated to a hotspot? Alternatively, if you have two phones and are comfortable with audio-only you can use one to call the other and leave them on speakerphone with the end in the room muted. That's what we used to do instead of a baby monitor if we wanted to be at the neighborhood BBQ in the driveway next door.

Yeah, I was going to say leave a second phone on a video call pointed at the crib but audio only would be less grueling.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son didn't even watch Storybots yesterday, and so far this morning the sheep-a-deep song has been in my head all day.

Music in that show is criminally catchy.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Snoop killed it in that storybots episode about computers.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Twins slept 10pm to 6:30am last night 😍

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
How long does it usually take babies to adjust to daycare? Because mine has been in 20 days and I haven’t had a good night’s sleep (sleeping 7:30 to 2 and then waking again at 5) since the day before she started. we are at 4-6 wake ups per night. :suicide:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Our 10 month old has been great at sleeping through the night but on and off has refused to sleep in her cot, only sleeping in our bed.

The doctor says nothing physically wrong (no ear infection etc) - it’s just literally if we put her in the cot to play she’s fine but if we lie her down to sleep she acts like we’ve just murdered her. :ssj:

The minute she gets put in our bed she’s happy as Larry and will sleep within minutes

What tips does anyone have for the love of god please! Also how old do they actually have a concept of knowing what is right or wrong on this kind of thing? Like is she being a bit cheeky and we should lightly be telling her “no that’s not ok?” For this / any other cheeky / naughty behaviour? I feel like it’s too early for her to really know but I also don’t want to be a super lazy parent who lets their child get away with anything.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dr. Chaco posted:

Have tried with hotspot before. It requires internet and a reaching WiFi signal. According to Wansview it has to be 2.4ghz signal and requires that the network be encrypted, meaning open networks are a no-go.

I hadn’t thought of the call option, but when wife was working I only had the one phone and my iPad, both of which are older and have batteries that drain very fast. The iPad I guess could have done FaceTime with audio only.

In the end I concluded that this WiFi camera is useless anywhere but home, and is useless even in my home because I have no internet. The main problem with hot spotting is the reach of the signal, wouldn’t have made it to lobby, and my phone would have had to also be connected to the iPad hot spot. And the data...drat.

We basically put him down in the room, went outside to eat and drink beer, and hoped for the best. We figured if he did wake up and start crying, he’d cry himself back to sleep and we’d not know the difference. Luckily for us we were on the ground floor in the last room down the hall, with his travel crib in the corner furthest away from the only adjacent room.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

teacup posted:

Our 10 month old has been great at sleeping through the night but on and off has refused to sleep in her cot, only sleeping in our bed.

The doctor says nothing physically wrong (no ear infection etc) - it’s just literally if we put her in the cot to play she’s fine but if we lie her down to sleep she acts like we’ve just murdered her. :ssj:

The minute she gets put in our bed she’s happy as Larry and will sleep within minutes

What tips does anyone have for the love of god please! Also how old do they actually have a concept of knowing what is right or wrong on this kind of thing? Like is she being a bit cheeky and we should lightly be telling her “no that’s not ok?” For this / any other cheeky / naughty behaviour? I feel like it’s too early for her to really know but I also don’t want to be a super lazy parent who lets their child get away with anything.

If she's sleeping fine in your bed and it works for you... just roll with it? She won't be there forever. Both my kids were dedicated cosleepers and both moved happily to their own bedroom without much fuss at 2.5 years. I worked for us and we all got sleep.

What kind of things is she doing that are cheeky? At that age, the best tool you have is your attention. Don't like what they're doing? Ignore them. Like it? Reinforce like crazy with praise and attention!

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

A Game of Chess posted:

How long does it usually take babies to adjust to daycare? Because mine has been in 20 days and I haven’t had a good night’s sleep (sleeping 7:30 to 2 and then waking again at 5) since the day before she started. we are at 4-6 wake ups per night. :suicide:

Is there a possibility that daycare is having or letting her sleep the whole time she is there?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

A Game of Chess posted:

How old is the baby?

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
She will be sixteen weeks on Saturday, we started daycare on 9/9. Her bedtime is usually around 7 at home.

I don't think over sleeping there is the problem -- she's a really light sleeper and the first week there she didn't nap at all. And I obviously have to trust their logs, but I get a daily report of what she's done at the end of every day, and she usually naps either four short-ish naps (anywhere from 20 min to an hour) or two VERY short naps and one long one (the longest has been an hour and a half). Also the daycare is in my building and when I go down to either check on her or give her eczema medication, she's usually awake. Also when I pick her up she usually looks visibly exhausted even though she's happy to see me -- her eyes are red-rimmed and she's struggling to keep them open even while she's smiling at me. :(

I was thinking it's possible she's overtired, but I don't know if they can do anything to help her nap longer or better... the rooms are just really loud with babies crying etc. and at home we have to use white noise, walk her around a little bit over the shoulder until she starts to get sleepy and I don't know if they do that there. I was hoping she'd adjust in a couple of weeks but we're coming up on almost a month now.

I was also wondering if it could be a sleep regression, but it did happen right at the time she started so it's hard to tell. Whatever it is it's been brutal for me, actually worse than when she was a newborn because I have to work and take care of the house when I come home in addition to being up at night with her.

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 27, 2019

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Gonna go with the dreaded 4 month sleep regression.

Ours started about a week after I went back to work (3 months) and lasted until 12 months with wakeups every 2 hours. :(

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

cailleask posted:

If she's sleeping fine in your bed and it works for you... just roll with it? She won't be there forever. Both my kids were dedicated cosleepers and both moved happily to their own bedroom without much fuss at 2.5 years. I worked for us and we all got sleep.

What kind of things is she doing that are cheeky? At that age, the best tool you have is your attention. Don't like what they're doing? Ignore them. Like it? Reinforce like crazy with praise and attention!

Re: sleeping I think we are more concerned that it will become a crutch for her. We actually don’t have big issues with it. I know she’s meant to be on her own for risk reasons but she’s very mobile now so I don’t think she’ll get stuck or anything.

With being cheeky more like crying the moment we put her down to play to like- make dinner, but be fine when we pick her up. Also just throwing food off her chair.

I’ll be honest though it’s not really a problem- I guess we just worry we don’t want to fast forward x amount of years and have some terror baby that we have never taught right and wrong. I think ignore / praise is probably the best method. I’m hesitant to scold at this age, and even when she’s older keep negative things like scolding for actual bad things rather than being cheeky or accidental bad behaviour.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

My 10 month old definitely understands “no” - for things like throwing food I just calmly take away the plate and say “no we don’t do that” and then I hand him one piece of food at a time, or if he’s eaten a good amount already I say, “I think you’re trying to tell me you’re done” and I clean him up. After a while they learn that certain behavior results in food being taken away.

The crying when being put down is normal and not them being cheeky, I think they just want to be held sometimes. Pretty annoying when you have to hold your 26 pounder in one arm while trying to cook with the other.

zingiber
Apr 14, 2019

teacup posted:

Re: sleeping I think we are more concerned that it will become a crutch for her. We actually don’t have big issues with it. I know she’s meant to be on her own for risk reasons but she’s very mobile now so I don’t think she’ll get stuck or anything.

With being cheeky more like crying the moment we put her down to play to like- make dinner, but be fine when we pick her up. Also just throwing food off her chair.

I’ll be honest though it’s not really a problem- I guess we just worry we don’t want to fast forward x amount of years and have some terror baby that we have never taught right and wrong. I think ignore / praise is probably the best method. I’m hesitant to scold at this age, and even when she’s older keep negative things like scolding for actual bad things rather than being cheeky or accidental bad behaviour.

To a certain extent, you get to decide what's 'right' or 'wrong' in your household. There's actually very few widely agreed upon 'wrong' behaviors for a kid, and they're generally pretty obvious (aggression like hitting others, dangerous stuff like running away from you, screaming and tantruming). Stuff like cosleeping and manners fall under the category of house rules-ish stuff that you get to decide.

I think you have a few months before you're in danger of entering terror baby zone. Now's probably a good time to think about what the actual red-light rules are for you guys and how you'll react to her breaking them when the time comes. The Happiest Toddler On The Block (Harvey Karp) might help with this.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

So, for the first time ever my son (15 years old) has made a friend that he's close enough to want to invite over. I sent a note to have the other boy's mom call me, to set something up.

I'm excited (hopefully it works out) for him, but trying not to go overboard. I was thinking Redbox, Dollar Tree candy, drinks, and stove top popcorn (we don't use bagged). I have those shakers of seasoning for popcorn already on hand. Put together a movie day.

That seems like it'd be fun, but not super overboard.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

So, for the first time ever my son (15 years old) has made a friend that he's close enough to want to invite over. I sent a note to have the other boy's mom call me, to set something up.

I'm excited (hopefully it works out) for him, but trying not to go overboard. I was thinking Redbox, Dollar Tree candy, drinks, and stove top popcorn (we don't use bagged). I have those shakers of seasoning for popcorn already on hand. Put together a movie day.

That seems like it'd be fun, but not super overboard.

Sounds like a great time!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My poor sweet baby girl has a UTI. I knew something was brewing overnight when she wasn’t very interested in eating but was up every hour squirming and fussing. Once she was fully awake she was super upset, and making straining faces and noises while crying. She also spiked a fever of 101.7, so off to urgent care we went since our clinic didn’t have any openings. We had to wait an hour with the pee bag on her before we could collect enough urine, and she was so miserable, I totally cried with her.

Tylenol and antibiotics and lots of cuddles and hopefully she will feel better soon. My husband and I have been good about always wiping front to back, she’s never had a bubble bath, and we change poopy diapers as soon as we know there’s poop in there. Really, really hoping this was a fluke and there’s not some bigger problem. Not going to worry about it unless it happens again, but it is worrying while I’m sitting here with this tiny furnace in my arms. I feel so bad for her, UTIs suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it's fine i'm fine

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 29, 2019