Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Much like Venom last year, I expect a lot of people in the October challenge thread will try to build a case for The Joker as a horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

What's the general consensus of how many films are in the Amityville Horror franchise? It's like how we've joked about how many are in the Demons franchise with official films and the ones they just slapped a title on.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They're screening Prince of Darkness this Friday at the church it was filmed at in Los Angeles.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

the possession is a mostly forgotten multiplex schedule-filler from 2012 but making the monster a dybbuk and matisyahu the rabbi expert called in to consult gave it a certain flair that made it enjoyable for me

That one had that crazy scene where the person's teeth start falling out, right? Yeah, it was a fun little possession flick when there was a new one every week.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of these years I will successfully either buy or make a Matthew Hopkins costume for Halloween

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My wife bought The Possession based entirely on one trailer. I remember we watched it and disliked it, but I can't remember a single thing from that movie except Matisyahu is there for some reason.

On a better note I purchased a copy of Dude Bro Party Massacre III so I can watch it again as part of my "Please unwrap and watch the horror movies you own" challenge this year.

Edit: Ah gently caress since I'm watching the movies I own The Possession will be on the list.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 26, 2019

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

M_Sinistrari posted:

What's the general consensus of how many films are in the Amityville Horror franchise? It's like how we've joked about how many are in the Demons franchise with official films and the ones they just slapped a title on.

Wikipedia lists 23 of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amityville_Horror_(franchise)

As the article here points out, there's no real continuity between any of them to begin with, with the exception of two of the more recent DTV ones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_the_Amityville_haunting

"Of the later films, Amityville: The Awakening (2017) is explicitly a different continuity from all previous films, which are portrayed as existing in-universe: the characters watch and discuss the 1979 film The Amityville Horror, and a character brings DVDs of the sequels and remake to the protagonist's house.

The Amityville Murders (2018) serves as a loose prequel to the 1979 film and a retelling of the original DeFeo murders."

---
It's funny you bring this up, I was going to watch the first 9 or so from the original in 1979 through the 2005 remake as part of a themed challenge. I ask you, Horror Thread, which sounds like more fun:

1) Homes of Horror (and Amityville Ennui) - scary movies with the word "house," "home," etc. - including rooms - in the title. And a bunch of the Amityville movies since it's a famous haunted house series that I've never watched before.

or

2) Bigfoot vs. Zombies - I was going through Tubi putting togther a list of "A to Zombie" as a theme and noticed there are a LOT of Bigfoot horror movies now, and then I saw this and the lightbulb came on over my head. So it would be watching that one to start and then 15 Bigfoot and 15 zombie movies to compare/contrast.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So are we gonna have staff picks for the october thread again?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Much like Venom last year, I expect a lot of people in the October challenge thread will try to build a case for The Joker as a horror movie.

We do live in a society, after all

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I don't really think Nightingale is an "anti-revenge" movie, or a "pro-revenge" movie. It's more of a "the world is an awful place full of many horrible people who need to be killed to prevent further damage, but murdering them doesn't make the pain and suffering they caused go away because once the damage is done it can never be undone" movie.

It's a complex, emotionally devastating film and so loving good, watch it if you can.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruteman posted:

Amityville

:wtc:

Was The Amityville Horror that lucrative of a property?

I thought the original one was boring as gently caress when I watched it on TV a million years ago. My big take-way from that was that I cleaned a haunted office once when I was a janitor due to the millions of dead flies that I was always cleaning away from the windows.

My other experience to this day was my family getting Pay Per View, and my dad decided to let us rent a horror movie one Saturday afternoon. We looked at the Amityville Dollhouse before deciding on Curse of the Puppet Master instead :negative:

I guess I'll find out if those 90's Amityville DTV movies are any good soon as Vinegar Syndrome is dropping a boxed set of them in October.

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/vinegar-syndrome/products/amityville-the-cursed-collection

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Amityville has enough name value that if you slap it on some lovely DTV movie it’ll help. The original one made 86.4 million in theatres and that’s late 70s dollars. It would easily be a hit the size of It by today’s standards.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bruteman posted:

It's funny you bring this up, I was going to watch the first 9 or so from the original in 1979 through the 2005 remake as part of a themed challenge. I ask you, Horror Thread, which sounds like more fun:

1) Homes of Horror (and Amityville Ennui) - scary movies with the word "house," "home," etc. - including rooms - in the title. And a bunch of the Amityville movies since it's a famous haunted house series that I've never watched before.

or

2) Bigfoot vs. Zombies - I was going through Tubi putting togther a list of "A to Zombie" as a theme and noticed there are a LOT of Bigfoot horror movies now, and then I saw this and the lightbulb came on over my head. So it would be watching that one to start and then 15 Bigfoot and 15 zombie movies to compare/contrast.

I think the Homes of Horror idea would give you a wider range of good movies to watch so I'd go with that. There are a lot of Bigfoot movies but a lot of them are very similar and personally I just wouldn't want to watch 15 zombie movies in a month, I'm kinda bored with zombies(though I'll be checking out One Cut of the Dead this month).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I think the reason there are so many Bigfoot movies now is that all you need to make a Bigfoot movie is a costume and access to the woods.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I think the reason there are so many Bigfoot movies now is that all you need to make a Bigfoot movie is a costume and access to the woods.

And several of them prove you don't even need the suit. You can Blair Witch the whole thing.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Basebf555 posted:

I think the Homes of Horror idea would give you a wider range of good movies to watch so I'd go with that. There are a lot of Bigfoot movies but a lot of them are very similar and personally I just wouldn't want to watch 15 zombie movies in a month, I'm kinda bored with zombies(though I'll be checking out One Cut of the Dead this month).

That's a good point, there is definitely more variety in the list of house movies I've put together.

On the other hand, I love creature features...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

So are we gonna have staff picks for the october thread again?

I wasn't planning on it this year, no. We have the staff picks in the OP of this thread, and I was just going to link to that. It took me, like, six hours just to make that post, with finding good/cool/interesting posters, resizing them, formatting them, organizing them in a visually appealing way, and making sure I didn't miss anyone.

But you know what I thought would be fun this year?

:siren: If you have ideas for a October Thread Challenge, please PM them to me. :siren:

People enjoyed the Fran challenges last time, and I thought it'd be fun for people to contribute their own. For instance, "Watch a movie that was made before the 1950's" or "Watch a movie directed by a woman", etc. If you have catchy names for your challenge, include that as well.

Please don't post them in the thread, PM them to me or message ideas to me on Discord. You can PM me as many ideas and as many times as you want.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bruteman posted:

That's a good point, there is definitely more variety in the list of house movies I've put together.

On the other hand, I love creature features...

I love creature features too but the variety is what I love about them. I think after 3 or 4 Bigfoot movies it would get pretty stale, but hey that's just me. And I suspect you could find a few creature features with "House" in the title.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

And several of them prove you don't even need the suit. You can Blair Witch the whole thing.

Having a really hairy guy for a friend would help

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I was not expecting One Cut of the Dead to be the most heartwarming movie I saw this year, but here I am.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Okay, inspired by Death Spa:

Maybe my favorite horror scene is the "let's go to a paranormal expert" scene. What are the best ones? Dick Miller and the occult bookstore in The Howling is what springs to mind for me. That or the entire second half of Fright Night.

Maybe just because alien abduction is my jam but I liked the bit in Dark Skies where the expert is a frequent abductee played by JK Simmons. Partly because, duh, it's JK Simmons, but also because of the reason why Simmons' character has a few cats in his apartment. Dogs can sense the aliens and bark their heads off like they do in Terminator, cats don't really care about them so they won't narc a Grey out. The aliens still come for Simmons every now and then, and he's so resigned to it he moved to an apartment that doesn't allow dogs. That way he can get some sleep before they take him.

Phy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 26, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horror Challenge Idea: watch The Shining at 2x speed.

Watch Jason Takes Manhattan at .25x speed.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

while playing the Benny Hill theme on repeat

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Watch The Shining like that one weirdo in that documentary who overlays it with the movie played in reverse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Shining has a UHD coming out October 1st so you better believe it's gonna be included in my October Challenge.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

Watch Jason Takes Manhattan at .25x speed.

Combine the visuals of the Shining with the audio from Jason Takes Manhattan and see if they sync up.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't really think Nightingale is an "anti-revenge" movie, or a "pro-revenge" movie. It's more of a "the world is an awful place full of many horrible people who need to be killed to prevent further damage, but murdering them doesn't make the pain and suffering they caused go away because once the damage is done it can never be undone" movie.

It's a complex, emotionally devastating film and so loving good, watch it if you can.

Jennifer Kent got bored with film school so she emailed Lars Von Trier and was like "hey man can I come work on a movie", and she ended up learning how to make stuff by being his assistant on Dogville and I think Manderlay too

Which makes a bunch of sense!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

The Shining has a UHD coming out October 1st so you better believe it's gonna be included in my October Challenge.

:yossame:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Combine the visuals of the Shining with the audio from Jason Takes Manhattan and see if they sync up.

How about this but with Home Alone 2 instead of The Shining

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

Those all work for me, and have been used for the challenge before.

Solid. Thanks for the kid v. replacement parent suggestions, everyone!

Watched The Prowler (1981) last night. Can't help but think I would have liked it more had I a) not seen My Bloody Valentine before, and b) not watched Deathdream earlier in the week. Kind of felt like a pale synthesis of the two, unfortunately. And I got a little frustrated that with the pool kill, where they keep giving a tight shot of flailing around in front of the pool light, never zoomed back to show the shadows through the surface of the water.
Savini's gore was good when it showed up, though a good third of the Wikipedia page was focused on how much had been cut out and deemed irrecoverable. Allegedly Paramount 'had no interest in offering an uncut version,' which sounds sort of bullshit, especially with other companies picking up distribution on its reissues.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Watched The Prowler (1981) last night. Can't help but think I would have liked it more had I a) not seen My Bloody Valentine before, and b) not watched Deathdream earlier in the week. Kind of felt like a pale synthesis of the two, unfortunately. And I got a little frustrated that with the pool kill, where they keep giving a tight shot of flailing around in front of the pool light, never zoomed back to show the shadows through the surface of the water.
Savini's gore was good when it showed up, though a good third of the Wikipedia page was focused on how much had been cut out and deemed irrecoverable. Allegedly Paramount 'had no interest in offering an uncut version,' which sounds sort of bullshit, especially with other companies picking up distribution on its reissues.

The pitchfork in the shower is unnerving, for sure.

To everyone that's already sent PM's for Challenge ideas, thank you! I'm reading them and filing them away, so please don't feel ignored if I don't respond immediately.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darthemed posted:

i think most versions circulating now are basically uncut, or at the very least significantly gorier than the R-rated release version. the version i watched on Prime a while back had all the really grisly moments.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The pitchfork in the shower is unnerving, for sure.

To everyone that's already sent PM's for Challenge ideas, thank you! I'm reading them and filing them away, so please don't feel ignored if I don't respond immediately.

No need to respond at all, just throwing ideas on the pile

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is the Prowler the one in the supermarket or the one with the bayonet scene? I can't keep these 80s masked slashers in order unless it has a Jason.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Supermarket one is Intruder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Is the Prowler the one in the supermarket or the one with the bayonet scene? I can't keep these 80s masked slashers in order unless it has a Jason.

The one in the supermarket is Intruder, I believe.

poo poo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Splint Chesthair posted:

Supermarket one is Intruder.

Basebf555 posted:

The one in the supermarket is Intruder, I believe.

poo poo

I had no idea Scott Spiegel directed a slasher! That's fun.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Watch at least one (1) film made in each decade of the 20th century.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

It's loving amazing, too. Like, a lot of why I gave Hostel Pt. 3 the time of day was because "holy poo poo the Intruder guy made this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

It’s got Ted Raimi!