Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

When you're searching for wands there's a +1 spell gems mod that's basically the same as +1 minions since the minion gems are spells. Searching for either will find you more results, searching for both will let you spend all your money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
I tried POE again after doing the Abyss league early 2018. My previous PEO experience wasn't all that good. I didn't have good builds which resulted in a pretty frustrating experience. I think I quit playing after I died to Kitava 20+ times before I managed to kill it. I don't really blitz the acts, so it's important I make a good choice when I start a new build. If it turns out to be a crappy one it's quite disappointing.

I decided to use this Necro build:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2108003

I can really recommend it for new players. The guide explains the choices and gives some decent options for gear from cheap to a little more expensive.

This build does so much damage most of the stuff dies before it appears on your screen (even a lot of bosses). I'm about to hit yellow and red maps. I've blinged out my gear after an exalt drop (2 convoking wands with +1 to minion gems and a bunch of extra mods, a good 6 link armour, ...), still have 100+ chaos left. I still need to run the last 2 labs (I hate running them), but even then I'm running the maps without any issues.

I'm not sure what I should spend my currency on. My build is nearly finished. Maybe my next character?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Pack it up everyone, this guy just won Path of Exile. We're done.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Too bad that person's one league too late.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MrOzzy posted:

I decided to use this Necro build:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2108003

I can really recommend it for new players. The guide explains the choices and gives some decent options for gear from cheap to a little more expensive.
:hmmyes:

I'm basically new, I powered through with a lot of dying on a duelist before back in the, uh, bestiary league, and stopped as soon as I hit maps. I highly recommend this one for new players, too. Explaining not only what to do, but WHY to do it, is great. Plus it's real strong.

But this time I'm continuing since this is way, WAY more effective than the duelist was, so I need to, like, deal with maps and gearing up and stuff. What should I be doing, in general? And where the hell do Convoking wands come from, I've got a couple of essences of the "minion damage" type that aren't bound to a level, slapping one of those on a white Convoking wand seems like a good plan but I don't know where to FIND one

EDIT: also is there a way to in crease the quality of a Vaal gem? or if I want a higher quality Summon Skeletons am I stuck finding/trading for one and levleing it up all over again?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 26, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you can't change the quality of a vaal gem

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Don't forget you can level gems using your switch weapons! So you don't have to suffer through a period of low damage.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Zereth posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm basically new, I powered through with a lot of dying on a duelist before back in the, uh, bestiary league, and stopped as soon as I hit maps. I highly recommend this one for new players, too. Explaining not only what to do, but WHY to do it, is great. Plus it's real strong.

But this time I'm continuing since this is way, WAY more effective than the duelist was, so I need to, like, deal with maps and gearing up and stuff. What should I be doing, in general? And where the hell do Convoking wands come from, I've got a couple of essences of the "minion damage" type that aren't bound to a level, slapping one of those on a white Convoking wand seems like a good plan but I don't know where to FIND one

EDIT: also is there a way to in crease the quality of a Vaal gem? or if I want a higher quality Summon Skeletons am I stuck finding/trading for one and levleing it up all over again?

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Convoking_Wand there's a list here of where you can find them, they only drop in maps. You can buy alright rare ones for cheap, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

pixaal posted:

Don't forget you can level gems using your switch weapons! So you don't have to suffer through a period of low damage.
I'd have to have learned it in the first place to forget it :monocle:

I should get some random poo poo to shove the gems for my Complete Setup tha I dont' have spots for right now, then!

EDIT: Oh, deeper into maps, i see

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Artificial Idiocy posted:

You can get a +1 minions, minion damage and attack speed mods, and trigger socketed spell on skill use wand (put convocation, desecrate, offering in it) for 1ex which is a huge QOL upgrade.

Question on the mod. My current Convoking wand was just rolled by luck to +1 minions, and I crafted +Minion damage of 43% (level 2 craft, I don't have the final one).

Will dropping the 43% minion damage for the trigger socketed spell actually be a huge upgrade? Wands with multi-mod are still out of my price range completely (still don't think Ex actually drop this league) as are wands that naturally rolled Minion Damage and have the crafted trigger.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
It depends how much increased minion damage you already have from other sources. But minions deal so much in any decent build anyway that the loss of 40% increased damage won't break your clear speed, and once you try the auto cast on your 3 utility spells you will never want to go back.

Edit: also unless you are very consistently keeping up flesh offering all the time anyway, dropping the damage bonus in exchange for 100% offering uptime will probably wash its face in terms of damage as well.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Keeping up 100% offering isn't hard though because as a summoner it's not like you have a whole lot else to do

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Any time spent casting an offering is time spent not shield charging to the next pack

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Any time spent casting an offering is time spent not shield charging to the next pack

I've been using Phase Run instead of Shield Charge, since my AG gives me fortify anyway. Synergises well since we have frenzy charges all the time thanks to Victario's shield, and the de-aggro effect is helpful. I guess if you're not using Necro Aegis, shield charge is probably better?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Papercut posted:

Keeping up 100% offering isn't hard though because as a summoner it's not like you have a whole lot else to do

That's called time to pet the cat.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vulpes posted:

I've been using Phase Run instead of Shield Charge, since my AG gives me fortify anyway. Synergises well since we have frenzy charges all the time thanks to Victario's shield, and the de-aggro effect is helpful. I guess if you're not using Necro Aegis, shield charge is probably better?

What's giving you fortify? The really expensive 2H? I'm new to using AG so I'm scared I'd lose it

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Qwertycoatl posted:

What's giving you fortify? The really expensive 2H? I'm new to using AG so I'm scared I'd lose it

Yeah, Kingmaker. I have my AG in a +3 hat and gave him some 2% life regen boots, so he basically can't die. I still take him out before I do Uber Elder though, because I'm paranoid.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Vulpes posted:

You can still shield charge with necro aegis. It's definitely not as necessary if you're already getting fortify from kingmaker but it also applies ee and using a skill to move helps direct your minions. Phase run is still really good for summoners though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I might switch over, unless it has horrible effects on minion AI or reduces my skill usage enough to make my cast on skill wand unreliable. EE won't matter too much since anything tough enough for EE will be getting a curse on hit Armageddon brand to the face anyway

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Captain Foo posted:

So does increased aura effect work on skitterbots or not?

I also tested skitterbots with Commander of Darkness. Does not work. Have to keep my level 1 clarity up to trigger CoD.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Vulpes posted:

Yeah, Kingmaker. I have my AG in a +3 hat and gave him some 2% life regen boots, so he basically can't die. I still take him out before I do Uber Elder though, because I'm paranoid.

That's a good idea with the regen boots, I was using Atziri's Step for the life and high Spell Dodge (since I'm using The Stampede, giving him Victario wouldn't help me) so I upgraded that with a 2% regen Atziri.

I know most people give him the 5% regen chest when they have the money, but I kinda like him with the Cospri's Will that I gave him. He's got Oskarm corrupted so that he has even more Spell Dodge, and curses both Assassin's Mark and Enfeeble on hit, which is pretty gross for bosses (even with Enfeeble penalty).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I came up with an idea for a different summoner but I’m not willing to spend a poo poo load of money to respec my existing summoner. :negative:

I guess that’ll be my league starter next league assuming they don’t dumpster minions and Triad Grip isn’t a rare league unique/legacy only.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I came up with an idea for a different summoner but I’m not willing to spend a poo poo load of money to respec my existing summoner. :negative:

I guess that’ll be my league starter next league assuming they don’t dumpster minions and Triad Grip isn’t a rare league unique/legacy only.

There's like two months left, just level a new one!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you already have a bunch of currency you can get some leveling gear and level in a night. Compared to yellow+ mapping gear it's pretty cheap and easy to resell it for what you paid or use it for another character.

Sometimes you want the option of going back if things don't go as planned. If I really enjoyed a build I might be tempted, I always say no alts but I always end up doing a 2nd build, I really might try out this minion thing, or maybe I'll go for something built around doing some of the challenges I haven't even looked at them yet only heard people complain they are a pain in the rear end this time.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
You don't even need levelling gear to roll a summoner. Just throw on whatever rare poo poo you find and spam skeletons everywhere. Easy 6-8 hours to maps, depending on how much you gently caress around.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yeah I'd say the only leveling gear you'd need is movement speed stuff and maybe a tabula, if you really want one. Tons of people who started as as summoner this league made it to maps with level 5 whites and stuff on.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Although if you want to respec to the same class, a bunch of regrets is way cheaper than running the acts again

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

Although if you want to respec to the same class, a bunch of regrets is way cheaper than running the acts again

That's what I did with my assassin, around 50 regrets which is like 20c or something like that? I can make a lot more than 20c in the time it would take to level a new character

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to turn this into a 4-linked from a whole one socket

EDIT: what the gently caress is an "Abyssal Socket"?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 26, 2019

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Crafting bench, although just manually using Jeweler's+Fusings on a 4S isn't that bad.

Abyssal sockets are for Abyss Jewels

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Zereth posted:

Is there a way to turn this into a 4-linked from a whole one socket

(optional) quality it up to 20% with armor scraps
1. Apply jewelers orbs until it rolls four sockets. Should take about ten.
2. Apply orbs of fusing until it rolls four links. Should take about five.

Can also use your workbench if you've found the appropriate recipes through Delve.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

redneck nazgul posted:

I *do* have a prohpecy that I'll increase quality a lot with only one scrap, going... :hmmyes:

and... yep, one got me to 20%.

EDIT: and I got the prophecy again when I handed her another coin :laugh:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know why my Animate Guardian, after every 3 or 4 swings of his Kingmaker, stops what he's doing and gives the enemies a "thumbs down" animation? He does it constantly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

redneck nazgul posted:

1. Apply jewelers orbs until it rolls four sockets. Should take about ten.
2. Apply orbs of fusing until it rolls four links. Should take about five.

Can also use your workbench if you've found the appropriate recipes through Delve.
Took me surprisingly few! over a stack of chromatic to get the right COLORS but getting it to 4 linked was easy. :toot:

Is there anything I can do to enhance this further other than throwing a Vall Orb at it and hoping?

EDIT: I decide to go delving and immediately find the "4 sockets" recipe lol

Everything said "can't do this in a unique" when I slapped it into the crafting bench to see what I could do to it though so I suspect I needed otu se the orbs anyway

Zereth fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 26, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Zereth posted:

Took me surprisingly few! over a stack of chromatic to get the right COLORS but getting it to 4 linked was easy. :toot:

Is there anything I can do to enhance this further other than throwing a Vall Orb at it and hoping?

Unless you have a 2nd in reserve, Vaal Orbing it isn't recommended and even if it was, corruptions for helmets aren't all that for summoner builds. Throwing an enchantment on it from the Divine Font in Labyrinth is a common way of improving helmets, but there's so many possible enchantments now that doing it yourself while hunting for a specific enchant(or even any enchant that your build uses) is a grind only the most deranged would do.

Zereth posted:

Everything said "can't do this in a unique" when I slapped it into the crafting bench to see what I could do to it though so I suspect I needed otu se the orbs anyway

The linking and socketing recipes work on uniques.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

Also note that if you bring the item to 20% quality first, you are more likely to get max sockets from Jeweler's Orb and max links from Fusing Orb.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Another thing to note is the colors you get when using chromatic orbs are not evenly distributed. They are weighted based on the stat requirements to wear the item. So for example a helm that requires high int to wear is going to roll mostly blue sockets, whereas a strength helm is going to roll reds and a dex helm will roll greens.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

J posted:

Another thing to note is the colors you get when using chromatic orbs are not evenly distributed. They are weighted based on the stat requirements to wear the item. So for example a helm that requires high int to wear is going to roll mostly blue sockets, whereas a strength helm is going to roll reds and a dex helm will roll greens.

And there's calculators that'll tell you the best way to go about getting the socket colors you want.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

whypick1 posted:

And there's calculators that'll tell you the best way to go about getting the socket colors you want.

they need one of these for the jewellers method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was playing on a Mud Geyser and there were two shrines next to each other. An Acceleration Shine and an Echoing Shrine. I foolishly clicked both and proceeded to flicker strike. I entered what can best be described as a quantum state of movement and went wildly out of sync with the server. Approximately 20 seconds later I synced back up and found myself halfway across the map with an Intervention kill team dead at my feet.