Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is such a good scandal because there are more complaints, there are more phone calls, there's already a coverup, and the dems can just keep demanding stuff. This will not go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

They think they can change reality if they repeat their narrative enough times.

to be fair it usually works though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

my bony fealty posted:

lol if he had any iota of a soul he wouldn't be squirming so hard to not answer questions

Or be working for the Trump administration in the first place.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Speier asking about resignation; he denies threatening to resign over complaint not being transmitted to congress.

Maguire says he knew immediately the enormity of the complaint and figured he'd be in front of a committee to discuss it eventually.

Speier asking about moving the actual transcript to a secure server to lock down records of the phone call. Asks if the reaction to the transcript seemed like a recognition that the call was improper - DNI reflects, has no firsthand knowledge, doesn't seem to want to speculate.

Speier asks that knowing the ICIG deemed the complaint credible, and knowing that the white house tried to cover it up, why would DNI go to the white house to ask for their advice? DNI says that the allegation was secondhand information. Speier doesn't let him finish.

Speier's asking about trumps dumb tweets about whistleblower spying - asks DNI if he thinks the whistleblower is a spy. DNI gives boilerplate 'no' answer. DNI says that he spoke out against trump's accusations among his own workforce(?).

Speier refers to trump's Monday accusations against the whistleblower, asks if..

My headphones just died.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

This is such a good scandal because there are more complaints, there are more phone calls, there's already a coverup, and the dems can just keep demanding stuff. This will not go away.

There's a whole server of cover-ups that I'm sure Trump is personally dousing with acid as we speak.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

It also means that “narrowing” the probe on Ukraine will still be a ridiculously large investigation involving a million moving parts delving into tons of different crimes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why do these guys never retire. my dad was a fed and retired at 55.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rabble posted:

Maguire really was stuck between a rock and a hard place. What a poor unfortunate soul.

He swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic and when forced to do so he resorted to technical rear end-covering.

I wouldn't want to be him right now for sure but I also don't feel like he deserves much pity.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Schiffs opening statement gave a recounting of the memo in his own words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4CJ8MYLTY

Ah, ok. Yeah listening to that he could've summed it up a bit closer to the actual words used, I mean it didn't really need dressing up.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

"I'm going to let you answer your questions"
Immediately cuts him off to talk about his dad's stupid Air Force wings

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Stewart : "I'm not going to treat you like a child. let's talk about ARE TROOPS and how it's so mean that the honor of a former Navy SEAL is being questioned"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Oh cool, lets support dem TROOOOPS

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nazzadan posted:

"I'm going to let you answer your questions"
Immediately cuts him off to talk about his dad's stupid Air Force wings

And he's still interrupting him

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

There's a whole server of cover-ups that I'm sure Trump is personally dousing with acid as we speak.

It was mentioned up thread, but it sounds like he basically classified the transcripts and threw them on a server built for that. If that's the case he REALLY can't destroy them without a massive papertrail

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Schiff "Did you and the president discuss this complaint directly?"

Maguire "I'm not going to comment on conversations with the president"

Some other congresswoman "Did the president ask you to find out who the whistleblower was?"

Maguire "No"

...Hmmm...

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

In awe at the size of this lad.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I'm not gonna treat you like a child. Look pretty Air Force wings! Army mans are special, I like army mans, don't you? *starts making fart noises with armpit*

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1177195888906776577?s=21

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Stewart: "I think we can agree that leaks are unlawful and leaks are damaging" yeah gently caress off buddy, leaks is how your stupid rear end in a top hat orange manchild sits in the Oval Office now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Shoulder thumb

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

jesus christ dude looks like fat quagmire.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I thought he was resting his head on his arm. I didn't realize his head kept going.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

It is crafted in a way so that it's legally plausible, but just ridiculous from a common sense perspective.

listen, he clearly belongs to the school of Paterno problem management

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

Nail Rat posted:

I didn't know there was a statue directing the release of information.

I think it's Lincoln.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This doesn't feel like the mattering.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Wooten posted:

I'm not gonna treat you like a child. Look pretty Air Force wings! Army mans are special, I like army mans, don't you? *starts making fart noises with armpit*

The guy is right tho, he did what his counsel told him to do. And he was legally obligated to do. The issue of executive privilege being used to shield a corrupt president doesn't fall on his shoulders.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The loving audacity of the republicans to complain about what Adam Schiff said in his opening statements, only to then put words in the mouths of Committee Democrats.

Schiff: Nobody called you [Dir. Maguire] a political stooge

Stewart: you accused him of breaking the law... :(

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

why do these guys never retire. my dad was a fed and retired at 55.

By these guys who do you mean?

If you mean Maguire, he retired after 36 years because having served 36 years and joining before 1980, he has a pension for life that was equal to his final pay (the exact requirements for that)...and now he's pulling another six figure income on top of that.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

btw thank you for your service

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gunthen posted:

The guy is right tho, he did what his counsel told him to do. And he was legally obligated to do. The issue of executive privilege being used to shield a corrupt president doesn't fall on his shoulders.

But doesn't the president have to invoke executive privilege himself in order for it to apply? Why are all these people just assuming executive privilege and why does Congress let them get away with it? I remember the Keebler Elf's testimony and how he kept invoking it without the President saying anything about it, this isn't the first time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TyrantWD posted:

I thought he was resting his head on his arm. I didn't realize his head kept going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOh7V6WlfIM

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I'm watching this on potato mode because my internet connection joined the climate strike. I swear when Stewart started talking I didn't see his lips move once.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Its the Devil with Yellow eyes from Legion

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ha, Quigley asking Maguire "what is the role that Rudy Guliani plays in this government?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cue secret personal interpretation of the statute that means he doesn't have to.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

If you mean Maguire, he retired after 36 years because having served 36 years and joining before 1980, he has a pension for life that was equal to his final pay (the exact requirements for that)...and now he's pulling another six figure income on top of that.

yeah but go enjoy your retirement like my dad is. that's why i ask why they don't just retire.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

This doesn't feel like the mattering.

It's not supposed to be.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gunthen posted:

He was hosed the moment that complaint hit his desk, but he made a judgment call to assume executive privilege and contact the WH counsel for guidance. He didn't do anything wrong, but his decisions were questionable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not sure when the last time they went into IHOP was, but they have had that drat blueberry syrup since I was a kid and I’m 34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Oracle posted:

But doesn't the president have to invoke executive privilege himself in order for it to apply? Why are all these people just assuming executive privilege and why does Congress let them get away with it? I remember the Keebler Elf's testimony and how he kept invoking it without the President saying anything about it, this isn't the first time.

Good point, might be missing something here. If the president never explicitly invoked it. It definitely does fall on his shoulders to bring to report to Congress.