Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Mustard gas turned out to be a great treatment for lymphoma.

Chloropicrin wrecks nematodes when injected into the soil.

If it weren’t for the Great War, we wouldn’t be eating nearly so many strawberries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Battleships were useful as oil tankers, and late battleships as AA platforms.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

xthetenth posted:

There's a huge variety of WWII era anti-tank and tank guns that got their start as AA guns. Turns out a gun that throws shells at high velocity is just what you need, and better yet a lot of them have good HE shells already. Some of these even go back quite a ways, like the US 3-inch gun M1918, which goes back to WWII, when tanks didn't need nearly that much to take out.

AA guns were good at AT also because their mounts made it easy to hit at moving targets. And the mounts made many naval guns good at AA as posted earlier.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The U.S. had more concrete barges than they needed, so they dedicated one to the production of ice cream.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

AA guns were good at AT also because their mounts made it easy to hit at moving targets. And the mounts made many naval guns good at AA as posted earlier.

AT guns derived from AA guns typically were not fielded with their AA mounts, they were typically of the wheeled and towed variety.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The earliest larger-bore tank cannons were old low-caliber howitzers from the turn of the century that turned out to be pretty useless in WW1 because they were made to be fired over open sights and didn't really have the oomph for indirect fire. In a tank, they actually got to do that. That's how the Lee/Grant/Sherman's initial main gun came about.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Randarkman posted:

AT guns derived from AA guns typically were not fielded with their AA mounts, they were typically of the wheeled and towed variety.
The derived ones had different mounts, that being the essence of the derivation, but the FlaK 36 88mm, the Cannone da 90/53, the 90mm M3 and the QF 3.7" AA were all used in direct fire anti-tank roles from their AA carriage and I feel sure that the 52-K 85mm will also have been but David Glantz hasn't found that archive room yet so it's not in English.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How come it was antiaircraft guns being used as antitank guns rather than antitank guns being used as antiaircraft guns?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

there was a need to lob HE up to 15000+ feet before there was a need to punch through 50+mm of rolled steel.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Dedicated AA guns can be converted into anti-tank guns, because they shoot a big shell very fast so you can just replace the big explosive shell with a big mostly-solid armour piercing shell.

Early dedicated AT guns generally cannot be converted into AA guns because early AT guns fire *small calibre* armour piercing shells. This means it's very hard to design an effective explosive shell for anti-air use.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. had more concrete barges than they needed, so they dedicated one to the production of ice cream.

Like a barge to make concrete got turned into a floating ice cream factory?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

honda whisperer posted:

Like a barge to make concrete got turned into a floating ice cream factory?

I had read before that it was slated to be a floating concrete plant, which is a practical thing to have when island-hopping.

However, when I looked it up before posting, all I could find about the vessel is that it sported a hull made of concrete.

So I was purposefully ambiguous so I wouldn’t be wrong if either story was true.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh and artillery shells being repurposed into crude to sophisticated mines and traps.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Another really good conversion was the USS Sable and Wolverine, which were paddle wheel ships for the great lakes that got turned into training aircraft carriers.

The Lone Badger posted:

How come it was antiaircraft guns being used as antitank guns rather than antitank guns being used as antiaircraft guns?

As Cyrano said, they needed to lob HE up to a given altitude before they needed to penetrate 50 or more mm of armor. The 3" gun that got put on the M10 as an AT gun for a tank destroyer dates back to 1917, at about the same time that the M2 project was started because of armor on planes and on the ground. Early tanks are very thin, it's about the spanish civil war that they're putting thicker armor on tanks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Platystemon posted:

I had read before that it was slated to be a floating concrete plant, which is a practical thing to have when island-hopping.

However, when I looked it up before posting, all I could find about the vessel is that it sported a hull made of concrete.

So I was purposefully ambiguous so I wouldn’t be wrong if either story was true.

We produced a lot of ships out of concrete for WW2. Turns out it isn’t too bad for the job. Though the only one I know of is on a beach in Capitola just south of Santa Cruz. It’s used as a surf break/jetty and we used to fish from it in the 80s.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Hello thread, I will be in Dublin for the first time next month visiting family who moved there recently. Is there any notable milhist stuff worth seeing in the area?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

Mustard gas turned out to be a great treatment for lymphoma.
the modern revenue-gathering, people-tracking state began as a way to raise revenue for war, and NOW look where we are

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Another really good conversion was the USS Sable and Wolverine, which were paddle wheel ships for the great lakes that got turned into training aircraft carriers.

I didn't know about the paddlewheel aircraft carriers until a couple years ago but they are cool as hell. They had no hangar deck to keep planes aboard, so every morning they'd chug out onto Lake Michigan for pilots to learn carrier landing. They qualified 35,000 pilots during the war.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh another one, they sort of repurposed the old Snider-Enfield breech loaders quite easily into shotguns in the late 19th century in India.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ixjuvin posted:

Hello thread, I will be in Dublin for the first time next month visiting family who moved there recently. Is there any notable milhist stuff worth seeing in the area?
*cracks knuckles*

The Collins Barracks branch of the National Museum is well worth a visit, and conveniently along the LUAS Red Line with it's own stop named "museum" and everything. Probably the best thing to see if you are going to pick one thing, since it covers everything from the various 1700's risings all the way up to Irish peacekeeping with the UN via Irish troops serving with the British army abroad and the Troubles.
The General Post Office has an exhibit relating to the 1916 Easter Rising but I haven't been into it myself. It's worth just sticking a head into the main room anyway to see how nuts the buildings of that era were.
Dublin Castle is worth a wander, the Chester Beatty museum has a super eclectic mix of stuff.
The Kildare Street branch of the National Museum is mostly archeology, so there's a lot of Viking Dublin stuff in there. Dublinia is a more touristey focused version of the Viking/Medieval city.
Kilmainham Jail has a lot of de-facto history of the Rising based on contextualising the executions that happened there.
The Cathal Brugha Visitor Centre is easily accessible not far from the city center, but you need to make an appointment first.

If you're able to take a short-ish (depending what your transport is like and where you are staying...) trip outside Dublin, the ÓGlaigh na hÉireann museum in the Curragh camp also exists, but again I have not been there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
villar-perosa as an assault gun from an (ineffective) AAMG is pretty good example

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Arquinsiel posted:

*cracks knuckles*

The Collins Barracks branch of the National Museum is well worth a visit, and conveniently along the LUAS Red Line with it's own stop named "museum" and everything. Probably the best thing to see if you are going to pick one thing, since it covers everything from the various 1700's risings all the way up to Irish peacekeeping with the UN via Irish troops serving with the British army abroad and the Troubles.
The General Post Office has an exhibit relating to the 1916 Easter Rising but I haven't been into it myself. It's worth just sticking a head into the main room anyway to see how nuts the buildings of that era were.
Dublin Castle is worth a wander, the Chester Beatty museum has a super eclectic mix of stuff.
The Kildare Street branch of the National Museum is mostly archeology, so there's a lot of Viking Dublin stuff in there. Dublinia is a more touristey focused version of the Viking/Medieval city.
Kilmainham Jail has a lot of de-facto history of the Rising based on contextualising the executions that happened there.
The Cathal Brugha Visitor Centre is easily accessible not far from the city center, but you need to make an appointment first.

If you're able to take a short-ish (depending what your transport is like and where you are staying...) trip outside Dublin, the ÓGlaigh na hÉireann museum in the Curragh camp also exists, but again I have not been there.

That and you can't go 5' in Ireland without tripping over a memorial to some failed uprising against the English.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

And yet none of them was ever as entertaining as the Fenian raids.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

Warships being converted into valuable sources of low-background steel

It always kind of bums me out when I read about storied warships and then the epilogue is "five years later it was sold as scrap / used for target practice". I guess there's only so much civilian need for high-speed heavily-armored ships, and we only need so many museum ships too, but it's still kinda depressing how we put all this effort into making top-of-the-line naval equipment only to toss it out a decade later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It always kind of bums me out when I read about storied warships and then the epilogue is "five years later it was sold as scrap / used for target practice". I guess there's only so much civilian need for high-speed heavily-armored ships, and we only need so many museum ships too, but it's still kinda depressing how we put all this effort into making top-of-the-line naval equipment only to toss it out a decade later.

Now we simply never end wars, no need to toss anything

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Enterprise :negative:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Enterprise :negative:

Her anchor is sitting in the middle of the Washington Navy Yard at least.

edit: hah, you can see the shadow of it on google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8749577,-76.9945783,73m/data=!3m1!1e3

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Also the old Saratoga, CV-3. I know she was in terrible shape by the end of the war, and her actual service record didn't feature any amazing exploits, but she was historic in design and length of service.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's kinda that way with all military hardware. A whole lot of work goes into making it, and odds are it'll either go obsolete or somehow explode.

Just think about the amount of money and craftsmanship goes into every missile. And then the amount of diplomacy into trying to make sure that they never need to be fired.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many museum ships are there? I know Intrepid in NYC, and of course the Battleship Texas. Do most coastal states have one? I'd imagine at least Mobile and the Annapolis area.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

zoux posted:

How many museum ships are there? I know Intrepid in NYC, and of course the Battleship Texas. Do most coastal states have one? I'd imagine at least Mobile and the Annapolis area.
IIRC, all four Iowa-class BBs are museum ships somewhere (Iowa is in Long Beach, CA)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Presumably not Iowa though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

How many museum ships are there?

HNSA (Historic Naval Ships Association) has a list that is a good place to start:

https://www.hnsa.org/hnsa-ships/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

HNSA (Historic Naval Ships Association) has a list that is a good place to start:

https://www.hnsa.org/hnsa-ships/

Wow a lot of extant carriers, and subs too. Which sub did you work on?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Boston (Quincy) has a Des Moines-class 17,500 ton CA, the USS Salem

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

In the Bay Area CA you have a submarine, liberty ship and an Essex class carrier.

I’m going to the Hornet tomorrow for the day.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

It always kind of bums me out when I read about storied warships and then the epilogue is "five years later it was sold as scrap / used for target practice".

I know the economy was on the rocks and parts of the population were literally freezing to death at the time so it was entirely understandable, but I do think it's a shame that not a single RN battleship survived the post-war cull.

I know she was utterly worn out, badly damaged and barely staying afloat, but think how great it would be if Warspite had been patched up and preserved - a Fisher-era dreadnought, veteran of Jutland, present in virtually every naval theatre of WW2, part of the D-Day fleet and holder of the most battle honours of any RN ship? You could go round Portsmouth Dockyard and see Mary Rose, Victory, Warrior and Warspite in one go - 500 years of naval architecture and development of the battleship.

Or, since Warspite was probably too far gone, what about Vanguard? The last battleship of all?

But, again, I can see why finding the space, money, men and materials to keep a 50,000 ton battleship around for no practical reason. But the really tragic one was the scuttling of Implacable/Duguay-Trouin, the last surviving seventy-four (after the Wellesley became the only ship-of-the-line to be sunk in an airstrike...). She was being restored in the 30s and was still afloat when the decision was made to scuttle her. So there are no surviving examples of the preeminent warship type of the age of sail.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Wow a lot of extant carriers, and subs too. Which sub did you work on?

Pampanito, in San Francisco, in the 90s.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BalloonFish posted:

I know the economy was on the rocks and parts of the population were literally freezing to death at the time so it was entirely understandable, but I do think it's a shame that not a single RN battleship survived the post-war cull.

I know she was utterly worn out, badly damaged and barely staying afloat, but think how great it would be if Warspite had been patched up and preserved - a Fisher-era dreadnought, veteran of Jutland, present in virtually every naval theatre of WW2, part of the D-Day fleet and holder of the most battle honours of any RN ship? You could go round Portsmouth Dockyard and see Mary Rose, Victory, Warrior and Warspite in one go - 500 years of naval architecture and development of the battleship.

Or, since Warspite was probably too far gone, what about Vanguard? The last battleship of all?

But, again, I can see why finding the space, money, men and materials to keep a 50,000 ton battleship around for no practical reason. But the really tragic one was the scuttling of Implacable/Duguay-Trouin, the last surviving seventy-four (after the Wellesley became the only ship-of-the-line to be sunk in an airstrike...). She was being restored in the 30s and was still afloat when the decision was made to scuttle her. So there are no surviving examples of the preeminent warship type of the age of sail.

Should of fillers her up with demo rubbish and concrete at high tide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Funny and quick story from Forgotten Weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA3VsMteAxk

I would love to see the look on that French NCOs face when two grunts sheepishly walk up with two rifles permanently stuck together