Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hope the next president gets rid of the OLC completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Something about Hurd saying "good copy" is so unbelievably cringy.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ewiley posted:

Ahahahah this is amazing

CNN: whistleblower
MSNBC: whistleblower
CBS: whistleblower
FOX: ohh! blueberry syrup!

This loving kills me because the office chud was talking to me yesterday about the great loving Democrat criminal conspiracy that “only Fox will talk about”.

The loving blinders that old white dudes will put on to insist they’re correct, it’s just insane. :stonk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's really hosed up government officials thought it was acceptable to just call it "cyber".

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

eke out posted:

just want to flag this because holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1128141760117510145

russian media knew this happened back in May, we only just confirmed it in the whistleblower complaint today (as you can see, Davis thought this was just bullshit at the time it first happened)

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1177234658058285056

The Ukrainian President being strong armed by an obvious Russian puppet, and possibly as the advisement of Putin has to be bad for Zelensky right? I feel like he’s going to get taken down as well.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Will Hurd: What is our greatest threat?

Director Maguire: It's not Kinetic Strike or Russia or China or Iran, our greatest issue is maintaining the integrity of our elections.

He also had something about Cyber Warfare but it's interesting to see Hurd ask this question of both Mueller and Maguire and they both said election security.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hope the next president gets rid of the OLC completely.

OLC is a good idea on paper but gently caress all these politicians hiding behind OLC decisions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Edmund Lava posted:

The Ukrainian President being strong armed by an obvious Russian puppet, and possibly as the advisement of Putin has to be bad for Zelensky right? I feel like he’s going to get taken down as well.

That’s why he looked like such a broken man yesterday.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Edmund Lava posted:

Politically it will probably be bad for him, but I wouldn't blame him. I mean, he's having to fight a war with Russia but with so much aid on the line, what can he do but try to get it out of President Crimes?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Slowpoke! posted:

OLC is a good idea on paper but gently caress all these politicians hiding behind OLC decisions.

yeah it's not just the stupid and unsupported opinion that the president can't be indicted but that it keeps okaying obvious bullshit executive orders under multiple presidents. and obviously this bullshit over the whistleblower report.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s why he looked like such a broken man yesterday.

Yeah that guy is like a John Goodman movie come to life.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's really hosed up government officials thought it was acceptable to just call it "cyber".

There is almost certainly a program or department out there that has an incredibly convoluted name to avoid being Cyber S.E.X.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the OLC is granted authority by statute that would have to be rescinded by Congress. Although it appears to be controlled by a presidential appointee so if the next president wants to undo some bullshit they can just have it issue new memoranda, right?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I so want to see IRS whistleblower report

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Politically it will probably be bad for him, but I wouldn't blame him. I mean, he's having to fight a war with Russia but with so much aid on the line, what can he do but try to get it out of President Crimes?

I don’t really blame him either. Just thinking our big dumb President has caused some instability abroad that isn’t being addressed.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
ARE TROOOPS

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Troops...TRooPs...TROOPS

They're desperate to throw up any interference and chaff

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Cant watch how the gently caress are they trying to make the troops relevant

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it's not just the stupid and unsupported opinion that the president can't be indicted but that it keeps okaying obvious bullshit executive orders under multiple presidents. and obviously this bullshit over the whistleblower report.

for the record, the OLC's opinions are also often completely secret

there's literally an entire body of law applying to the executive branch of which we only know a small portion, when it's forced out in cases or through FOIAs

it's a terrible, hosed up system designed to shield the president and give them unilateral authority far in excess of their constitutional and delegated powers

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Critical posted:

Cant watch how the gently caress are they trying to make the troops relevant

Fellating this guys past in the Navy and how its "bad faith" to accuse a former Seal of bad doings.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I don't think any of this is nearly convincing as Ratcliff thinks it is.

Edit: Sorry, more context. Ratcliff is going all in on "the whistleblower is not a direct witness! why do we care what the whistleblower says." It is very dumb.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
So former DNI Coats resigns July 28 and leaves Aug 15, and the whistleblower report is Aug 12. Bets that the WH felt they needed to get the fix in and pushed out Coats?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

I don't think any of this is nearly convincing as Ratcliff thinks it is.

It's not. He thinks this is his big solo, because he's a vainglorious moron.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
None of the reprehensible shitheads blatantly lying on the record here are going to face any consequences whatsoever, are they.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
How dare you investigate things that haven't been investigated yet.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Oh come on, Ratcliffe. You can't say that citing mainstream media is bad when the loving white house is saying on cable news every night "YEAH, HERE ARE OUR CRIMES."

So if it gets said on Anderson Cooper it's not admissible in court?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oh heck

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Ah, the man accused of crimes said there were no crimes. Thanks Ratcliffe, you're right why is anyone doing anything.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rime posted:

None of the reprehensible shitheads blatantly lying on the record here are going to face any consequences whatsoever, are they.

No, Republican strategy here is to just grandstand and say random poo poo that might get repeated as sound bites because they know any critical analysis of their statements won't get the same level of play as the statements themselves.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heckin' Denny.

I'm grateful to Joaquin Castro for growing the beard so that we know he's the one from the Mirror Universe btw.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

hurd is the only republican that wasnt grandstanding for fox news. they really all just want a soundbite to give chuds the cover to disregard reality

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Oh come on, Ratcliffe. You can't say that citing mainstream media is bad when the loving white house is saying on cable news every night "YEAH, HERE ARE OUR CRIMES."

So if it gets said on Anderson Cooper it's not admissible in court?

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/1177242476387717120

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

ManBoyChef posted:

hurd is the only republican that wasnt grandstanding for fox news. they really all just want a soundbite to give chuds the cover to disregard reality

He's already announced he's not running. He has no incentive to grandstand.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
maguire confusing "do you think it's okay" with "is it illegal" boy is this old shithead squirmin heh

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Man, Denny loving owns. What a great grill'n.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
"I'm not gonna say it's illegal. Just that it's a no-no."

Good thing he's not in charge of sensitive information or anything.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Zelensky just got elected and had his party win parliamentary elections, so what happens now matters little for him politically. Where things stand 4-5 years from now is what matters.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

edit: oopa ugh

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
mr welch: "i'm gonna apply my lips directly to your wrinkly, pruned rear end, thank you, sir"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Republicans masturbating over this guy’s service record has reached the point of parody. It’s not even annoying, it’s just loving sad.