Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean, lets be real. trump will probably fire him soon.

yeah the guy who mocked a immigrant girl with down syndrom getting ripped from her parents is gonna help me.

Well, he has the moral fibre to endeavor to do so, that's for certain.

Magpie hatted capybara tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Slowpoke! posted:

Oh poo poo Maguire has probably spoken to the President about the whistleblower and he won’t budge

He 100% did because another congressperson asked if the president asked him who the whistleblower was and Maguire answered “no”.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean, lets be real. trump will probably fire him soon.

yeah the guy who mocked a immigrant girl with down syndrom getting ripped from her parents is gonna help me.

'he's a fighter!!!!'

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Slowpoke! posted:

Oh poo poo Maguire has probably spoken to the President about the whistleblower and he won’t budge

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1177248270055329798

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1177247792739360768?s=20

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Jesus Christ I had forgotten about that somehow. Here’s hoping that if Lewandowski gets in there that the media constantly reminds people that he’s one of the shittiest ghouls Trump’s ever brought in, so whatever lies he makes up can’t take root.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

I thought he was running for a seat in NH?

admitting you lie on TV in front of congress didn't do him any favors there.

also lewandowski in his book called an embarrassingly incoherent trump meltdown towards manafort "one of history's greatest takedowns".

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah the "if" in that does make things kind of invalid though. When pressed I'm guessing none of the republican respondents would say hes guilty.

Yeah, that question boils down to "Do you support impeachment if the president definitely did crimes?"

That kind of sucks, because it makes it look more like an upper bound of support for impeachment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is it actually true that every conversation between the DNI and the president is privileged?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ripoff posted:

Jesus Christ I had forgotten about that somehow. Here’s hoping that if Lewandowski gets in there that the media constantly reminds people that he’s one of the shittiest ghouls Trump’s ever brought in, so whatever lies he makes up can’t take root.

Lewandowski is a loving moron and will be so perpetually out of his league he will be a sad tiny afterthought to everybody. It will be the lawyer questioning from the last hearing he was at, except that will be every moment of every day until he leaves his post.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oracle posted:

Uh, holy poo poo. Either the Russians have bugged White House communications, have a mole in the office, or Trump's keeping them updated on everything he does WRT Ukraine.

Cell phones have no security, my friend, every government on Earth is recording Trump's phone calls

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

is it actually true that every conversation between the DNI and the president is privileged?

I'm sure it's true but it's also true he could state whether he had a conversation with the president over a matter at hand. There's no way it would betray national security at all. But admitting he discussed it with the president would betray a huge conflict of interest and that's why he's hiding behind it.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you go by this, no one can testify against the President unless they want to.

It is utterly undemocratic

Congress should subpoena his testimony of his conversation with Trump for possible obstruction of justice

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Echoing those who appreciate the context for the tv iv of the hearing. Work has me slammed today so it's helpful.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Likely, it is extremely important that the DNI can be candid as gently caress with the President.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1177250222344421376

https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/992040650857119744

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is apparently Burr, the GOP head of the Senate Intelligence Committee right now

https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/1177244792335536129

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Note: this is the same guy who was trying to sell investigating this stuff to Trump camp to pressure the current Ukrainian president to retain him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I want to see Trump break down crying on live television.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/BreeNewsome/status/1177250188748054528

This is the biggest takeaway from the DNI's testimony today.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ahahahaha, Nunes, smugness is not a good look for you right now my dude.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Oh gently caress you, Devin.

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was assuming this is just following the Jeff Sessions precedent where lackeys say everything regarding the President is executive privilege and Democrats have forgotten that they used to push back about the President needing to actually exert that privilege.

Echoes of spinelessness gone by

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Majorian posted:

Ahahahaha, Nunes, smugness is not a good look for you right now my dude.

But being a smug doofus is the only look that he's got

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

I'm sure it's true but it's also true he could state whether he had a conversation with the president over a matter at hand. There's no way it would betray national security at all. But admitting he discussed it with the president would betray a huge conflict of interest and that's why he's hiding behind it.

he seems to believe the subject they spoke about is privileged. i can understand the content being so. but he straight up said he didn't discuss ukraine with trump.

although it is stupid how little transparency the land of the free has.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
oh, gee, thanks, devin, we had no idea how impeachment worked

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
TIL serving in the Navy makes you immune from being accused of crimes. Thank you Mr Nunes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rigel posted:

This is apparently Burr, the GOP head of the Senate Intelligence Committee right now

https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/1177244792335536129

"I need the biggest pile of poo poo you've got...No that's too big."

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Is the whistleblower also meeting with the house today? I assume that will be closed door if so?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CyberPingu posted:

TIL serving in the Navy makes you immune from being accused of crimes. Thank you Mr Nunes

Nixon was a Navy man so this check ou... uh...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

The Super-Id posted:

Is the whistleblower also meeting with the house today? I assume that will be closed door if so?

Given how the person's identity somehow still hasn't leaked I doubt they'd even have the hearing in the Capitol building.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
"No one is above the law, mr chairman"

"Is it though?"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
am i insane? is maguire saying that nobody is above the law but the intelligence committee can't investigate the president?? is that what is that what is augh help

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1177250911779004416

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Groovelord Neato posted:

he's not gonna have much time to enjoy if he works until he dies.

You asked for a reason, not a good reason

Content the most .. I'm kind of struggling for the adjective here, Amazing, hilarious, ironic thing about all of this is that if they'd just followed the process as laid out in the statute they would have gotten away with it because it would have remained classified and while the Democrats might have been able to make some vague noises about it all their respect for the law and process would have prevented them from exposing the full breadth and scope of the crime and even if they had the GOP could have done their usual "Democrats are just making stuff up" projection and the both sides media would have kept right on going with it.

By blocking the whistle-blower complaint from congress and taking extraordinary actions to hide the records of the call they put blood in the water that the media couldn't ignore. Then on top of everything else they release the loving "transcript" I mean once again I am so so so very thankful that the Republicans are so loving stupid because otherwise we'd be well and truly hosed.

I'm not going to say that Pelosi had some sort of master plan because seriously who the gently caress would think that a party that does so much criming would be so bad at it, but giving Trump some rope and waiting for him to hang himself with it seems to be working out pretty damned well and in retrospect looks positively prophetic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FuturePastNow posted:

Cell phones have no security, my friend, every government on Earth is recording Trump's phone calls

Normally the President would use a specialized secure phone, but since Trump is an idiot twitter baby, he had them secure his existing personal phone as much as possible, which is not nearly as much.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Given how the person's identity somehow still hasn't leaked I doubt they'd even have the hearing in the Capitol building.

The ICIG and Maguire are protecting his identity, it won't get out. That's how it's supposed to work.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

scuz posted:

am i insane? is maguire saying that nobody is above the law but the intelligence committee can't investigate the president?? is that what is that what is augh help

That would seem to be what he's trying to do, yeah. He's kind of parroting Mueller at this point: "You have the evidence you need! What more can I say?"

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Remember when trump took a sharpie to that weather map?

Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gunthen posted:

The ICIG and Maguire are protecting his identity, it won't get out. That's how it's supposed to work.

This generation's Deep Throat.