Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Gunthen posted:

This is an unknown person we are talking about here, if saying "he" instead of "they" offends you like it would misgendering a person whom you know the identity of, then maybe you just want to be offended. Don't get me wrong here, it's hosed up to intentionally misgender someone. But gently caress dude, at what point is it acceptable to not have to worry about hurting people feelings when your dealing with an unknown person.

Hate speech is a directed action. It's intentional, and it's meant to demean someone. Don't pretend this is the same thing.

Yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

scuz posted:

am i insane? is maguire saying that nobody is above the law but the intelligence committee can't investigate the president?? is that what is that what is augh help

He's contradicted himself several times. He's really bad at this and seems completely unprepared.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Slowpoke! posted:

He’s referred to the whistleblower by “he” at least once. Not sure if that means anything. He’s also called women “congressman” and a man “congresswoman.”

theflyingorc posted:

Somebody has already indicated that it's a man, I forget who.

I'm not talking about Maguire, I'm just talking about goons in general in terms of evolving their language to be more inclusive and efficient.

Verus posted:

Prepare to have someone tell you that singular 'they' is somehow ungrammatical, even though it's been in common use for over half a millenium.

I'm non-binary so. lol. Way ahead of you on that one

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Zotix posted:

I have to say, Drudge doesn't seem to be in the camp of defense of the president which I find a bit surprising. But on the other hand didn't Matt Drudge make his name on the coverage of Clinton's impeachment? So perhaps he is trying to appear impartial?

Guess he doesn't have marching orders yet? Drudge is almost Fox tier when it comes to setting the GOP talking points of the day. The only time he verges from the party line is to post cheesecake photos of Martin 'O Malley.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

OAquinas posted:

The Director of National Intelligence: I have no idea what's going on. Where am I?

Broke: our spymaster is chillingly terrifying

Woke: he's a bitchmade fuckboi lmao

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

https://twitter.com/MichaelRWarren/status/1177249644461604867

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Gunthen posted:

This is an unknown person we are talking about here, if saying "he" instead of "they" offends you like it would misgendering a person whom you know the identity of, then maybe you just want to be offended. Don't get me wrong here, it's hosed up to intentionally misgender someone. But gently caress dude, at what point is it acceptable to not have to worry about hurting people feelings when your dealing with an unknown person.

Hate speech is a directed action. It's intentional, and it's meant to demean someone. Don't pretend this is the same thing.

Ya it's tough to not be an irredeemable rear end in a top hat and take time to use considered language, I know.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Broke: our spymaster is chillingly terrifying

Woke: he's a bitchmade fuckboi lmao

Yeah, intelligence directors tend to be the latter, since they're political appointees. It's the deputy directors that are actually the scary ones.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Gunthen posted:

Yes, surely nobody's ever been hurt by malicious indifference, ever

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in "denying" the complaint, rudy completely confirms the criminal conspiracy he was engaged in

classic rudy

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Giuliani needs to be in a closed door hearing like, this evening.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

morcant posted:

I'm not talking about Maguire, I'm just talking about goons in general in terms of evolving their language to be more inclusive and efficient.
My point is that we strongly suspect that, due to use of "he" already by people who know their identity, that the person in question is a man. I'm not calling your request unreasonable, I'm saying that the facts are different.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

No it's fine, when you don't know the gender of someone you should just default to he and that's perfectly fine and beautifully normal, stop talking about the DNI and listen to my takes on pronouns or else you're looking to be offended

Edit: That's not directed at flying orc.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gunthen posted:

But they is the linguisticly correct/superior way to refer to someone of unknown gender.

Are you sure you aren't the one who is being offended for the sake of it?

e: Like, the person you quoted literally said nothing about hate speech. You're literally just using this as a platform to whine. Hate speech might be generally a directed action, but it doesn't mean you can't still be careless (and indirectly hurtful) with language in a undirected fashion

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 26, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gunthen posted:

Your post is dumb as dogshit because you just laid out exactly why "they" would be the more correct word to use in this case on every possible level.

It seems like you're just looking for something to complain about, interesting.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Majorian posted:

Yeah, intelligence directors tend to be the latter, since they're political appointees. It's the deputy directors that are actually the scary ones.

Sure, but we're also watching a former Vice Admiral and Navy SEAL act like a baffled coward.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1177256183738097665
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1177256446058254338
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1177256647011573764
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1177256786677698561
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1177257010443763712

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

But they is the linguisticly correct/superior way to refer to someone of unknown gender.

Are you sure you aren't the one who is being offended for the sake of it?

Honestly no, pretty sure I'm the rear end in a top hat who got offended for the sake of it this time.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Nazzadan posted:

No it's fine, when you don't know the gender of someone you should just default to he and that's perfectly fine and beautifully normal, stop talking about the DNI and listen to my takes on pronouns or else you're looking to be offended

Edit: That's not directed at flying orc.

Didn't figure it was. I'm having a VERY different discussion than that other guy lol

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/1177252784179224577

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Sure, but we're also watching a former Vice Admiral and Navy SEAL act like a baffled coward.

Yeah, I think we just witnessed what happens when someone with that pedigree is asked to defend something that he can't possibly defend.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Gunthen posted:

Sorry that my observation that "Hey it's weird that people default to 'he' a whole lot, and we as conscientious people can take small steps in our daily lives in order to become more inclusive in our speech and perception of the world - such as when talking about someone whose gender we do not officially know yet" makes you mad.

I'm not calling anyone out, it was just an opportunity for me, a trans person, to try and give people who might not otherwise think of this, a way to grow.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Apparently she didn't see/get the verbal diarrhea from Lindsey Graham just a few posts up, then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

that doesnt seem like a good sign for trump.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it works with their supporters but it is hilarious how every republican defense of wrongdoing requires you not to have read whatever document is under discussion.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
"I DON'T THINK TRUMP EVER DOES ANYTHING WRONG!" - Some boomer lady without the decency to crawl into a grave already.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There was at least one person in the thread saying that if, by this time, Republicans were still mum about the complaint, it was a sign that things were bad for them.

This seems to confirm that, despite Graham squawking about "second-hand knowledge".

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I think we just witnessed what happens when someone with that pedigree is asked to defend something that he can't possibly defend.

I mean a decent person would just not defend it and tell Congress everything, and he's trying to dodge responsibility instead.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Just bitching about procedure and not the merits of the allegations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:psyduck:

What

"There's nothing here, Democrats bought a pig in a poke, they put the cart before the horse, they moved to fast before they had all the evidence, also if they don't move even faster then it proves they've got nothing"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
that grahambling tweet thread proves the gop has pinned everything on the second-hand knowledge thing as if that somehow means that it's all made up this is awesome

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

lmao, I am sure these potential jurors are doing their very best to avoid any tainting of the jury pool by following media coverage or discussing the case.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

morcant posted:

Sorry that my observation that "Hey it's weird that people default to 'he' a whole lot, and we as conscientious people can take small steps in our daily lives in order to become more inclusive in our speech and perception of the world - such as when talking about someone whose gender we do not officially know yet" makes you mad.

I'm not calling anyone out, it was just an opportunity for me, a trans person, to try and give people who might not otherwise think of this, a way to grow.

Sorry I took poo poo personally, got defensive. And acted like a dick.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

scuz posted:

that grahambling tweet thread proves the gop has pinned everything on the second-hand knowledge thing as if that somehow means that it's all made up this is awesome

That might have worked, too, if they hadn't released the summary of the call yesterday that essentially verifies like 90% of the whistleblower complaint. :lol:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Graham is so far up his and Trump’s rear end that if Trump barged into a McDonalds, completely naked and raving about Obama Lizard Deep State President, Graham would just go “well the DEMICRATS DON’T TAKE THIS THREAT SERIOUSLY”

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Except Lindsay Graham of course.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Just wow. He is trying to play both sides. not that it was unexpected.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

scuz posted:

i think thats mostly just graham and the dumb shits of the house and few others. alot of the senate GOP types seem to just going radio silent or making GBS threads themselves.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that doesnt seem like a good sign for trump.

I wonder if they're afraid of emailing out their talking points again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sean10mm posted:

I mean a decent person would just not defend it and tell Congress everything, and he's trying to dodge responsibility instead.

Yeah, well, Navy SEALs tend to follow orders, no matter how dumb or illegal.