Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah but how do you get to any of those places except the tree

or is that part of the early access dealio and, practically speaking, it's walled off

go past the tree or the mountain. nothing is really blocked off at all unless you hit the hard limits at the extreme borders of the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gamerofthegame posted:

or is that part of the early access dealio and, practically speaking, it's walled off

No you can definitely get to them if you find a method of digging, flying , etc . You can't do most of them with your starting kit though. is there one in particular you're wondering about?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

just keep going left/right in the mines or w/e for the underground stuff

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone else having the game completely restart when doing a new run?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Apparently all the references to alchemy in the tablets aren't just lore: if you manage to find something called "precursor liquid" (which might have a recipe of its own?) and mix it in a pool of blood it'll create a liquid that you can bottle up and spray at stuff to turn any surface into gold

edit: also new patch. the starting wand is a lot more destructive now and can actually dig through those annoying 1-pixel blocks of rock that get in your way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

goferchan posted:

Apparently all the references to alchemy in the tablets aren't just lore: if you manage to find something called "precursor liquid" (which might have a recipe of its own?) and mix it in a pool of blood it'll create a liquid that you can bottle up and spray at stuff to turn any surface into gold

edit: also new patch. the starting wand is a lot more destructive now and can actually dig through those annoying 1-pixel blocks of rock that get in your way

part of me assumed that maybe all the weird miscellaneous metals have something to do with making weird combinations. and the diamond. not sure!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone else having the game completely restart when doing a new run?

That's how it's supposed to be apparently. I'm guessing it has something to do with cpu use for physics simulation.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Huhn, if you put enough heat into toxic sludge, it'll turn into water. Good trick to know.

More small dumb tricks: the trap cubes aren't attached. You can kick them away from the fuse and then they won't trigger.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 26, 2019

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

goferchan posted:

I tossed a bomb down into a pit full of monsters I couldn't see the exact bottom of in my latest run and this happened.

Got a little greedy grabbing gold from everywhere and ignoring the sludge. Hope I can make it to the temple portal!

edit: Died literally seconds later.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 26, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i hope there's multiple weird concoctions players can make as long as they venture out to side areas to get certain components. performing alchemy seems like a welcome addition to the game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

grate deceiver posted:

That's how it's supposed to be apparently. I'm guessing it has something to do with cpu use for physics simulation.

Oh, okay. It only takes about 15 seconds so it's not a huge deal.

This game loving rips. I got a rapid 3 shot bounce wand right off the bat, modded it for fire and fire trail and killed myself a minute later.
It rules.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol the blue guys shooting big sparkly blue energy balls at you in the ice caves are lightning wizards, not ice wizards. I learned this by dodging into a pool

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/GGtmhMS.gifv

:allears:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I found a pair of bottles of 'cocktail' embedded in the rock wall, hard to see, on the edge of the mines near to the entrance to the dark. Shoots liquid that ignites on impact.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

those are what certain enemies throw at you in the collapsed mines or fungal caverns or whatever.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Combine a magic bolt - trigger with sulfur explosion or thunder explosion for a fun time.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

lol the blue guys shooting big sparkly blue energy balls at you in the ice caves are lightning wizards, not ice wizards. I learned this by dodging into a pool

I've run into them in the starter caves multiple times, they can be absolutely brutal when you have nothing but your starter wand and they feel aggressive.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I had a good run going with a laser wand that shot explosions with infinite ammo that also didn't hurt me and glass cannon, so I could reliably mulch my way through everything and had a back up extra life just in case

save the extra life got used up when half the screen randomly exploded for no obvious reason - some bomb in the floor that physiced the gently caress out - and the other one ended up getting spent because freezing vapor is the worst.

dang. so far my only real complaint about the game is that it's completely RNG whether or not you're going to have a good time or even be able to explore all the secret stuff entirely based on whether or not you get a decent infinite ammo wand or not. even under the constraints of a rogue-like the whole "loving christ I have a peashooter and four vials of lava and I'm in the ice caves now" vs "I AM DOOM-GUY AS A WIZARD 10/10 WHOOOOO DEATH MURDER KILL" is pretty big split.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm not the only one that has to kick that cart at the start of every single run, right?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

I'm not the only one that has to kick that cart at the start of every single run, right?

I keep trying to surf it downwards :(

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The trick is to stand on top of it, mostly towards the front edge, and then fly upwards a bit right before the kick connects.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

yeah, I killed a skulldog thing at the bottom of the shaft one time so now I always do it

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Fun fact about large bodies of oil, if they are un-ignited, you can jump into them if you're on fire and be put out.

Edit: I tried this a few more times and didn't have so much luck the last time I tried. So mileage may vary.

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 26, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh... good! Now the acid is on fire!

https://i.imgur.com/8g6WoJq.gifv

(I was testing my brand new wand. I killed myself with it shortly afterwards by seeing what would happen if I shot a stream of lava upwards into a tall vertical chimney. It came down is what.)

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I had a pretty fun combo where I had a delayed spark spell, then a pentagram splitter and 5 saw blades, with the homing and glass cannon perk. I could clear out huge rooms in one or two volleys with homing saw blades bouncing everywhere and melting everything.

Unfortunately, everything pretty quickly included myself when I had a bad bounce kick a blade straight back in my face.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

resistentialism posted:

The trick is to stand on top of it, mostly towards the front edge, and then fly upwards a bit right before the kick connects.

I feel it's worth pointing out since it took me embarrassingly long to realize, but your kicks are aimed toward your crosshair. IDK why but I thought they were just random for many hours, had a lot of unneeded frustration.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

BoldFace posted:

There is more going on in the surrounding world than what you probably think.

WARNING: HEAVY SPOILERS

it's interesting how much stuff there is off to the sides. I'm not a fan of how long it takes to trek to these areas though. It's pretty tedious and risk-free, and it bugs me how it means there are essentially free health upgrades if you are willing to waste a couple minutes collecting orbs.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

:confused:

I made my way back with the tablet from the the other side of the little lava lake and then this happens. Hadn't left level 1 yet.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 27, 2019

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

BoldFace posted:

There is more going on in the surrounding world than what you probably think.

WARNING: HEAVY SPOILERS

Thank you.

Edit: There are structures or at least water filled spaces in the dark below the tree and left of the collapsed mines. I've never gotten vision spells and chainsaws at the same time. Spent a couple hours draining water from it and trying to explore blind. I didn't hear orb sounds in my scouting.

Armadillo Tank fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 27, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What are orbs good for, anyway?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
A wonderful replay - you can pinpoint the exact moment I realized I had hosed up

(I had extra life, this did infact kill me despite me surviving)

Amumin
Dec 21, 2018

Nukes are fun.
https://i.imgur.com/u3rHXHz.gifv

Escpecially when Hiisi steals a wand with one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ZearothK posted:

What are orbs good for, anyway?

I believe they permanently unlock the spell they drop to show up in the random pool the first time you find one . Collecting them again works like a max HP+ . But since there's a count of how many you've collected during that current run people are thinking there's some secret to be found if you complete the (insane, extremely long) route to find them all and beat the game in one run

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
wonder what this wand does:

https://i.imgur.com/qybTylP.mp4

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This gif from reddit is sick. gently caress polymorphine potions you can build your own worm wand

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Been doing some testing and it seems like the "trail" effects scale with the size of your projectile and the results are pretty drastic. Attach one to a medium or large energy orb and you can flood a room very very quickly. Got a water trail one combined with the perk that makes you electrocute everything around you and it was very fun until I got too close to a tank in the ice fortress and found out they cause a huge explosion if you electrocute them

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I must say I am loving all this speculation as to what is possible and what things do in this game, it is pretty rare, even on release, to play something as undocumented with so much to find out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of it is due to the inherently unfinished aspect of the game. like you can absolutely win a run but there's so many rough edges that it's hard to tell where what's possible and what isn't begins and ends.

the existence of weird chemical combinations to form a spray that turns everything into gold makes me hopeful for a bunch of weird, secret combinations that require the player to go to great lengths to get the materials needed for other stuff as well.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

It works now. this is what i get for trying to play safe and fight them one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

almsot drowned, got high by eating a baby, turned into a flying sheep to go meet the gods.

i love this loving game.