Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah like 4-5 types right now sounds right. same for flours. i have 8 or more types of dried beans pls send help i have a probleeeemmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
....Rice goes bad?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AnonSpore posted:

....Rice goes bad?

Brown rice can - the fats in the outside can go rancid.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

How many kinds of rice do you guys have on hand? I have a small NYC kitchen and it's getting ridiculous. Not helped by the six kinds of flour I already keep.

Same boat with small NYC kitchen, I have 4-5 kinds of flour and 3-4 kinds of rice on hand at any given time. Along with with 4-5 different sugars. And let's not get into the oil and vinegar cabinets...

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I have a whole cauliflower and half a butternut squash. Any good ideas for dinner tomorrow night.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

vuk83 posted:

I have a whole cauliflower and half a butternut squash. Any good ideas for dinner tomorrow night.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/smooth-silky-cauliflower-puree-recipe.html

Then roast the squash and use the puree as a dip.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

vuk83 posted:

Lebanese baked caramelized cauliflower with lemony tahini sauce

The butternut squash I'd just cube and roast with olive oil and sea salt, and scarf immediately.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Bluedeanie posted:

I just kinda keep basmati on hand and use it for everything, getting sushi rice or other types on an as needed basis per recipe. There's nothing I have ever found that calls for basic long grain white rice that can't be improved with basmati, and imho the differences between basmati and jasmine are not pronounced enough that you can't sub one for another and still have a tasty dish.

Totally agree, basmati is the best rice and versatile enough.

We also keep a box of arborio rice for risotto.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a service like Blue Apron, except they just give you the recipes and you buy all the ingredients?

I'm looking for something that sends you a PDF/etc weekly, which consists of an entire shopping list, and single-page recipes that you can print, with minimal interaction on the part of the user.

e: Something to this effect, except weekly dinners

Some goon (I think it was a goon anyway) made eatthismuch.com.

eatthismuch posted:

The grocery list and pantry are unlocked by subscribing to Eat This Much Premium.

As a subscriber, the planner will send you new meal plans every week with a grocery list. Once you go shopping, just confirm the items you bought and they will be moved to the pantry. As you eat the meals, the ingredients are removed from your pantry with a simple confirmation.

Here's their service description page: https://www.eatthismuch.com/choose-plan/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I keep Jasmine and sushi rice stocked. Sometimes buy basmati or arborio but Jasmine is my go to for everything except sushi or risotto.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
One of those services should partner with grocers that deliver or have curbside pickup.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
They are partnered with Instacart apparently. (In the sense of you can send your generated grocery list to them relatively easily)

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 25, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

effika posted:

Try putting a milder one with something sweet; bleu cheese & pear salads with candied walnuts were my gateway to liking bleu cheese. Then I started trying it on those seeded date crackers near the cheese counters, and eventually I got to just liking it all by itself.

Calling blue cheese bleu cheese is one of the stupidest and most pretentiously wrong things the American language has done imho

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
It's time to buy new nonstick pans. I had some Scanpan cookware like 15 years ago that I adored (until they got lost in a move), and I see the company is still around.

What are the best of the best nonstick pans? I don't mind paying a bunch of money for something I'd adore like I did that Scanpan.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shine posted:

It's time to buy new nonstick pans. I had some Scanpan cookware like 15 years ago that I adored (until they got lost in a move), and I see the company is still around.

What are the best of the best nonstick pans? I don't mind paying a bunch of money for something I'd adore like I did that Scanpan.
Well I guess All-Clad will happily let you pay US$200 for a 12" nonstick fry pan. And they're nice fry pans. But I don't see any reason to pay more than the like US$30 for a Tramontina unless you really loving hate the handle or something.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I think anolon makes the best nonstick poo poo but I'm basing that entirely on my own experience. I've had a set of anolon bronze for almost ten years and I use plastic utensils in it and wash it by hand and all that stuff.

If you go anolon: the grill pan is bullshit, avoid it. Don't buy the bakeware; it sucks.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
All grill pans are bullshit, forever

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I bought a big quart jar of ajvar at the international store and, uh, what am I supposed to do with it?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

pile of brown posted:

true

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Nephzinho posted:

Same boat with small NYC kitchen, I have 4-5 kinds of flour and 3-4 kinds of rice on hand at any given time. Along with with 4-5 different sugars. And let's not get into the oil and vinegar cabinets...

My apartment in jersey city is fully Manhattan studio tiny. Were I to put in a queen bed and a couple of chairs, I’d have no floor space left.

I keep about a kilo each of white basmati (3 years aged), white hom Mali jasmine (new crop when in season), hom mali brown, jasmine black rice, sushi rice (I used to buy milky Queen, but it’s $14 a kg, so I switched to cal rose), and some kind of “fun” rice, like 1 year aged sella basmati for weird Persian food experiments. I used to also buy a few kg of medium grain brown rice as well, but I live alone, and I don’t have time for that anymore.

If I’m testing vendor rice samples, increase the Thai and Indian rice to about 2 kg each. I store them in mason jars, and all is well. For the brown rice, I vacuum pack and refrigerate it. When you freeze basmati, the grains get brittle, but I use brown rice so infrequently that I don’t like to leave it out in the room temp, because the oils will get rancid. Technically it should last 2 years on the shelf, but the temperatures in my apartment fluctuate wildly, because I leave the a/c off when I go to work, and then turn it on to subzero temps when I get home.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I bought a big quart jar of ajvar at the international store and, uh, what am I supposed to do with it?

I usually just eat it on crackers or stir it into hummus but I'd say it'd be good as a quick pasta sauce or pizza topping too.

Ooh, it'd be a nice addition to a vegetable quiche or maybe even mixed into a bread dough

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 25, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I decided to order a pair of Scanpans. I hope they're as nice as my old one. Man, that pan was perfect.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

isnt anodized the nonstick that doesnt come off

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

pile of brown posted:

add this to the equipment review thread title

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How many GWS goons are in NYC? I need to start inviting to my potlucks.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Shine posted:

I decided to order a pair of Scanpans. I hope they're as nice as my old one. Man, that pan was perfect.

I got the ctx set on sale and it's been pretty amazing compared to other nonstick.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Nephzinho posted:

How many GWS goons are in NYC? I need to start inviting to my potlucks.

I’m a filthy vegan. You don’t want me at your potlucks. lol

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Butterfly Valley posted:

Calling blue cheese bleu cheese is one of the stupidest and most pretentiously wrong things the American language has done imho

This is very treu

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Shine posted:

I like to use a ceramic nonstick rather than Teflon.

Either way, let it cool before washing and it'll be fine. I only really use it for eggs so I think my pan will last forever.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dino. posted:

I cook for a bunch of gluten free and vegetarian guests, I don't think we have any full blown vegans though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

You are indeed a Filthy Vegan, but your cooking is awesome, and I want you at ALL of my potlucks.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

dino. posted:

Good vegan cooks are worth their weight in gold, filthy or not

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It’s 2019. The Venn diagram of “people who care about food” and “people who aren’t upset about vegans” is a circle.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i only eat freaking epic bacon and fatty jerky

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How do you guys store your rice? The bags they come in are quite ponderous. Should I go for giant square Tupperware?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Suspect Bucket posted:

How do you guys store your rice? The bags they come in are quite ponderous. Should I go for giant square Tupperware?

Glass jars for varieties that I buy in smaller quantities. For the bulk stuff like brown rice, I offload it from the big bag into several repurposed bpa-free nut jars that I've accumulated. Each one holds several pounds, and the narrower grip area on the back makes the jar easier to handle. The labels come off, and you end up with a nice transparent/lightweight/sealable container. They look nice all lined up in the pantry closet, and the contents stay fresh.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TofuDiva posted:

Glass jars for varieties that I buy in smaller quantities. For the bulk stuff like brown rice, I offload it from the big bag into several repurposed bpa-free nut jars that I've accumulated. Each one holds several pounds, and the narrower grip area on the back makes the jar easier to handle. The labels come off, and you end up with a nice transparent/lightweight/sealable container. They look nice all lined up in the pantry closet, and the contents stay fresh.

I shop at Harris Teeter and they sell rice in plastic jars just like that, all varieties. I bought some of the kinds I use, and now I just refill each jar with the right type of rice which I buy in bigger, more economical bags.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

just fill up a delitainer/readytainer or two and leave the rest in bag

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Most of my (bulk) dry goods are stored in various size stacking cambros:

The 4 qt cambros (the bigger ones there) are exactly the right size to hold a 5# bag of flour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

4 quart glass kimchi jars for rice. Plastic Cambros is probably best for safety/durability/tesselation reasons, but I have a kitchen look I need to maintain for irrational reasons.