Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Most people think birds are somehow filthy, rather than fastidiously clean animals with a designated poop corner of their cage.

wait what?

I'm so sad now... mine don't have a designated poo area unless you count me :( We have been working on pooing on the tissue or in the sink, but...yeah. Work in progress.

I mean they are pretty clean overall, kinda....if you squint a bit. Trev is a slob bird tho, but I think its cos he is a Grownup Man Birb now <so he tells me by trying to shag my ear when he gets a chance>. Cricket is so much cleaner than he is....but he takes a ton more baths willingly.

At least I get sniffs from her and told I smell REALLY good! Though she is probably kissing up to me, I'll take what I can get. She never stinks...just smells like buttered popcorn :) Trev tho, if it tells you anything he just yells out "STINKY BIRD" now after he jumps out of his water bowl... god help me lol (he doesn't really stink!!! He smells like pecans)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ansith posted:

I have a story about taking photos of birds, in photo form.

Phone alert. Must bite.

Last one just needs a Dark Souls YOU DIED over it to be perfect.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ansith posted:

I have a story about taking photos of birds, in photo form.

Phone alert. Must bite.

:discourse:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Disco Salmon posted:

wait what?

I'm so sad now... mine don't have a designated poo area unless you count me :( We have been working on pooing on the tissue or in the sink, but...yeah. Work in progress.

I mean they are pretty clean overall, kinda....if you squint a bit. Trev is a slob bird tho, but I think its cos he is a Grownup Man Birb now <so he tells me by trying to shag my ear when he gets a chance>. Cricket is so much cleaner than he is....but he takes a ton more baths willingly.

At least I get sniffs from her and told I smell REALLY good! Though she is probably kissing up to me, I'll take what I can get. She never stinks...just smells like buttered popcorn :) Trev tho, if it tells you anything he just yells out "STINKY BIRD" now after he jumps out of his water bowl... god help me lol (he doesn't really stink!!! He smells like pecans)

I've encountered a lot of people who say, "Well...so your bird just shits everywhere, right? Your house is covered in bird poo poo, right?!"

They don't seem to understand that most of your bird's mess goes in their cage, and when they go outside the cage it's water soluble and easy to clean.

It's like they think a bird is taking dog sized, messy turds.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, bird poo poo is pretty inoffensive. It is small, easy to wipe up, and it doesn't really stink. Stinky poop is very much a mammal thing. Mammals, with long intestines full of symbiotic bacteria, have stinky poo poo.

The bigger mess maker I find is feather dust. I cannot ever win with feather dust. It's everywhere and just oily enough to cling to everything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Disco Salmon posted:

wait what?

If it helps, the reason my mom is so anti-bird is because of the noise. Which is uh, not something I can get around while I live here.

She keeps a bird feeder + bath though, and I was raised to love the outside birds. I even once got a chickadee to land on my hand!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Could I have an Amadeus probation please?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

Yeah, bird poo poo is pretty inoffensive. It is small, easy to wipe up, and it doesn't really stink. Stinky poop is very much a mammal thing. Mammals, with long intestines full of symbiotic bacteria, have stinky poo poo.

The bigger mess maker I find is feather dust. I cannot ever win with feather dust. It's everywhere and just oily enough to cling to everything.

oh yeah, the poo really isn't an issue. I prefer it to the catboxes :) And for the record, we have feathers everywhere rather than bird poo. The creatures tend to stay on me and my bird shirt when not in the back rooms, so all the poo generally lands on my washable bird shirts. It's not that big a deal overall, but I'd love for them to have a designated poo spot (other than me! ) lol They were doing good for a while but we are reworking on the napkin thing.

It's just the mess from nutriberries, food, flying peppers, orbiting berries/pellets, feathers, shreddies, toys, and the CSI wanna be berry crime scene on the walls behind the cages etc that makes me go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, as they say, a messy bird means a happy bird, so mine must be fat, happy, content, joyous creatures :) So I must not be doing too bad a job!

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 26, 2019

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Some birds are fastidiously neat and clean, and others are little gremlins that power-poo poo on an Olympic level. As a side observation, cleaning a macaw's tray is very much like scrubbing the inside of an abused dumpster.

Anyway, I wandered around the shop with a pocketful of banana chips and sunnies, asking if anyone wanted snacks. Choice results below:

E: hey Amamod, is it possible to stack gangtags? I want my av space to look like a CVS receipt.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 26, 2019

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Suntan Boy posted:

Some birds are fastidiously neat and clean, and others are little gremlins that power-poo poo on an Olympic level. As a side observation, cleaning a macaw's tray is very much like scrubbing the inside of an abused dumpster.

Anyway, I wandered around the shop with a pocketful of banana chips and sunnies, asking if anyone wanted snacks. Choice results below:

Out of curiosity, where is this, and how does one find a bird shop like this? I don't know of any near me, and want to say hello to all of these colorful friends.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Suntan Boy posted:

E: hey Amamod, is it possible to stack gangtags? I want my av space to look like a CVS receipt.

:laffo:

Yes, all you need to do is add whichever tags you'd like in img tags when you buy an avatar. I added the other bc tag to your av so if that wasn't the intended outcome let me know and I'll undo it.

vvv e: lmao vvv

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 26, 2019

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Have a minute and a half of Ozzy taking a breather from yelling about how hard his life is. This is the sort of attention he wants, where I stand a couple feet away from him and don't try to touch him.

https://youtu.be/BzgiLBMWdqk

Edit: I think I discovered his problem. Someone pooped in his water dish.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 26, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Now that I see Serra’s little head in my AV I can’t stop laughing. LAB, if that was you, you’re the absolute best. :derptiel:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:3:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

What kind of macaw is this lovely one? Looks like it might be red fronted?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I have a whole spectrum of Ama moods in my rap sheet now :allears:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad's grooming my hair but I can't get a picture or he'll notice and it's YOU DIED for me.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I got a very big chunklet taken out of my finger today for having done the grave sin of going to visit my parents for two weeks (2k miles away, so I only make it once a year). Mochi is still being terribly aggressive, while making kissy noises and calling baby at me to lure me into the trap. Nice try, bird.

Anyway, any of y'all know any chill fb bird groups? More bird crazies and less crazy posters. Also could I get an Ama probe tossed my way? I think my rapsheet is blank and a bird or 5 would really spice it up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm a member of a big Portland area group, but it's depressingly full of people "rehoming" birds that are always suspiciously one year old.

It bums me out seeing how many people got birds on a whim. Hell, I think anything bigger than a cockatiel should require a license to discourage impulse buys.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I'm a member of a big Portland area group, but it's depressingly full of people "rehoming" birds that are always suspiciously one year old.

It bums me out seeing how many people got birds on a whim. Hell, I think anything bigger than a cockatiel should require a license to discourage impulse buys.

Yeah, I'm a member of a local parrot facebook group and it's like this. My favourite was the pair of green cheeks that I did the math on and they'd had one of them for a year and the other eight months tops, assuming they got her as soon as she was weaned. On the other hand, I got in touch with the woman who was rehoming rescue birds and that's how I got Ozzy. So it's a mixed bag.

Ozzy, who spend a good hour today alternately singing to and trying to fight the wall.

This is the best birb keeping group I've ever found. This thread. Even if today I keep looking in and being momentarily disturbed by so many probations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Pesto's 100% all better with a head full of feathers again. :3:

duck

edit - a story

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 27, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

i'm gonna DIE oh my GOD :kimchi:

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Elmnt80 posted:

Funny lookin wastegate you got on that there turbo... :birdthunk:

I'm officially testing new turbo technology, that yellow thing is what we are calling a waste generator. It's early days but so far it shits on everything.

Captain Log posted:

EVERYONE!!! MY AVATAR!!! IT IS MAGNIFICENT!!!

Excellent avatar, she is extremely cute. Though I feel like it was a missed opportunity for it to be a cockatiel egg.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Ansith posted:

I'm officially testing new turbo technology, that yellow thing is what we are calling a waste generator. It's early days but so far it shits on everything.

Excellent avatar, she is extremely cute. Though I feel like it was a missed opportunity for it to be a cockatiel egg.

I have enough of those already.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I have enough of those already.

Do you keep them? I had sudden images of a mobile or wind chime made of brightly painted empty cockatiel eggs.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

Out of curiosity, where is this, and how does one find a bird shop like this? I don't know of any near me, and want to say hello to all of these colorful friends.

This one is in Orange County, CA. The number and layout of shops like this varies pretty dramatically, depending mostly on local interest and liability laws. Googling "exotic birds" is usually a good start, but if you're in a sparsely populated area, it might be a bit of a trip. You're in New York, right? We don't have any contacts out there, but most of the promising results seem to be in the Rochester and Jersey areas. If you're my way, shoot me a PM, and I'll get you set up with some bird touching.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:laffo:

Yes, all you need to do is add whichever tags you'd like in img tags when you buy an avatar. I added the other bc tag to your av so if that wasn't the intended outcome let me know and I'll undo it.

vvv e: lmao vvv

Birbmod bestmod

Tsaedje posted:

What kind of macaw is this lovely one? Looks like it might be red fronted?

That's Blue, the red-fronted macaw! Super sweet, and like 2/3 the size of the typical green-wing or catalina.

I want to respond to a bunch of other posts, but this one is getting big. Don't ever stop posting your amazing/ridiculous birbs

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

Do you keep them? I had sudden images of a mobile or wind chime made of brightly painted empty cockatiel eggs.

Before I came up with the "Eggcrate Discouragement Solution" I would freeze them and put them out whenever she started to get her egg on. They would go bad after a couple of circulations, but I do think they helped her only lay a few at a time.

The funniest thing, ever, was her shuffling them back and forth across her cage bottom. She NEVER figured out how to even vaguely sit on them.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
When it became obvious that Crouton was going to keep laying eggs no matter how much I tried to discourage her, I got fake eggs from the internet for her from the internet and they worked like magic. Even birds lower on the intelligence spectrum like Crouton (she tries, bless her, but she is not the sharpest sandwich in the attic) can count eggs to a small extent, so when she had six she was very happy and didn't lay any more. Prior to getting fake eggs, real eggs got snuck out overnight and boiled before being placed back in the nest before she noticed they were missing and she never noticed the difference. When she had a full complement of six fake eggs, the first one or two real ones she laid got made into tiny omelettes/scrambled eggs.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Suntan Boy posted:

This one is in Orange County, CA. The number and layout of shops like this varies pretty dramatically, depending mostly on local interest and liability laws. Googling "exotic birds" is usually a good start, but if you're in a sparsely populated area, it might be a bit of a trip. You're in New York, right? We don't have any contacts out there, but most of the promising results seem to be in the Rochester and Jersey areas. If you're my way, shoot me a PM, and I'll get you set up with some bird touching.

Yeah, capital region area. Closest ones are a bit of a drive, I was hoping I was just searching for the wrong thing. There's also a bird sanctuary in Niagara Falls (Canada side) which is great, they have a massive two story aviary with tons of parrots and other exotic birds. You can also walk into an enclosure full of rainbow lorikeets holding a cup of nectar, then wait for the hungry mob to descend on you.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

Yeah, capital region area. Closest ones are a bit of a drive, I was hoping I was just searching for the wrong thing. There's also a bird sanctuary in Niagara Falls (Canada side) which is great, they have a massive two story aviary with tons of parrots and other exotic birds. You can also walk into an enclosure full of rainbow lorikeets holding a cup of nectar, then wait for the hungry mob to descend on you.

I go to the San Diego Zoo specifically for the lorikeet enclosure, it's the best thing. Scarred my girls for life when they were suddenly covered in hungry lorikeets for the first time, though. I'm still not entirely sure how that eventually translated into them being bird people.

Rensselaer Bird Center might be good, across the river from downtown. Per the unwritten bird shop creed, their website design hasn't been updated since 1997, but the Google photos and reviews look right.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
does anyone else have bird dreams? I swear just about every morning I have a dream involving budgies but last night I dreamt that I went to a store and freaked out cause they had a miniature budgie (he was an adult but was like, hummingbird sized) and then a cockatiel landed on my finger and I was beyond delighted.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

does anyone else have bird dreams? I swear just about every morning I have a dream involving budgies but last night I dreamt that I went to a store and freaked out cause they had a miniature budgie (he was an adult but was like, hummingbird sized) and then a cockatiel landed on my finger and I was beyond delighted.

The other night I dreamt that a very small sun conure had appeared in my apartment and I was trying to set up a new cage for her so that she could have a good home. This was complicated by the fact that I had suddenly reobtained two of my now deceased rats (I had eight total, over the years, most of whom died as old ladies) and I was trying to set up cages for them, too, but for some reason I was doing everything while carrying a fat, sleepy, happy rat in my left hand. That was nice, actually. I do miss my rats a lot, and that particular rat, Molly, didn't have a mean bone in her body. She loved everyone and everything, and cuddling, and giving kisses, and oddly enough my hair and her fur were nearly the exact same shade of blonde.

:sigh:

Also in the dream the apartment was a mess, just like when I had to move everything around for the bedbug spray and it took me a few days to get everything back to how I like it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I had a dream I befriended a a huge murder of crows. It ruled.

Also had a dream that there were like a 1000 small birds, budgies, tiels, brotogeris, conures, in a huge arena. There was a giant monster in the arena as well, and it was my job to protect the birds from the monster. I didn't do well. That dream did not rule.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Those are some majorly stressful dreams, guys. Not counting the crows, though.

But dreams are like stressful 90% of the time, aren't they?

RoboRodent posted:

The other night I dreamt that a very small sun conure had appeared in my apartment and I was trying to set up a new cage for her so that she could have a good home.

This resonates. So many times a new bird (not always a budgie) appears in my apartment and I'm there trying to set up a cage but usually by the time it's set up there's ALWAYS suddenly tons of budgies and it's just like "well this is my life from now on".

The earliest bird dream I can remember was from when I was nine years old. A huge crow/hawk looking bird flew in through my window and told me to "stay off the ice". It sounds like an omen but dream me knew he was talking about a small patch of ice in the playground at school that I liked to play on. He wanted me not to play on it because it was his. For some reason this was extremely terrifying and I woke up and was frozen for a bit and had palpitations.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 28, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I constantly have dreams where I'm out in the open and my fully flighted bird is in danger of getting picker up by a breeze. It's always me trying to throw together some makeshift cage and just loving dying with fear.

I have less awful bird dreams where my condo is suddenly filled with parrots wreaking havoc and I'm running around trying to deal with it all.

But, I've had night terrors my whole life and yelling in may sleep and waking up in a pool of sweat isn't uncommon. I hope my experience isn't the norm.

Bird -

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

wow.

Yeah, thats a judging parrot face if I ever saw one...

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I haven't had Ivan in years, and I still have nightmares that I am living with him but I had forgotten about him and he was starving, dying and crying and sad and it's all my fault why didn't I remember he still was living with me? How could I do this to him?

Decidedly uncool bird nightmares.

Mr. Log, I love your new AV :kimchi:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Suntan Boy posted:

I go to the San Diego Zoo specifically for the lorikeet enclosure, it's the best thing. Scarred my girls for life when they were suddenly covered in hungry lorikeets for the first time, though. I'm still not entirely sure how that eventually translated into them being bird people.

Rensselaer Bird Center might be good, across the river from downtown. Per the unwritten bird shop creed, their website design hasn't been updated since 1997, but the Google photos and reviews look right.

Riverbanks Zoo in SC has a lorikeet enclosure as well and it's my favourite place in the zoo.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I apologize for the impressively bad quality of this photo, but it is dark in my room and I did my best in order to show you all this very fat borb.

He is deeply attached to the Anubis doll sitting on my monitor. Every evening once my room is dark he comes over to sit next to it and grows immensely poofy and taps his feet gently in contentment. Then he snuggles up tight to its arm and falls asleep until I have to take him down for bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Aww charlie is such a good borb. Do you let him stay up a bit later when he is being adorable like this?