Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought the episode was really so-so. I think I had one small laugh, things felt off yadda yadda all the complaints about new seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't like awkward situations but I still liked the episode.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I really liked this episode. Pretty much everything Mac does is hysterical, as was the Charlie-Frank plot. The lower body reveal killed me.

The odd thing I thought was how inactive (rather than actively selfish) Dee and Dennis were; they just sort of go along with Mac's thing, rather than constantly trying to worm themselves into being the centre of the whole thing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Was last night’s ep the first time Glenn has directed?

According to IMDB, yup!

edit - Matt Shakman has directed the most (43!). He seems to do an episode or two of a ton of other shows - including some of the best Psych episodes. Fred Savage is number 2, but that was only in the first few seasons. Lately, they seem to have a bunch of different directors.

Rob directed 2 - Charlie Gets Crippled & Charlie has Cancer

Ariza fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 26, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I really liked this episode. Pretty much everything Mac does is hysterical, as was the Charlie-Frank plot. The lower body reveal killed me.

The odd thing I thought was how inactive (rather than actively selfish) Dee and Dennis were; they just sort of go along with Mac's thing, rather than constantly trying to worm themselves into being the centre of the whole thing.

I've said in previous seasons that each episode picks one person in the gang to be the smart one and the rest are idiots. This was a Mac is smart episode.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I kinda wish they were more subtle about the whole Teddy thing. It was pretty obvious there was some sort of "twist" there, but I feel like they telegraphed it a little too much with how they talked to the couple about Teddy; Mac and Dennis both used pretty specific references to the issue of Teddy being "dead," "buried," etc.

I also thought they went a smidge too far on the meta. Usually, they're pretty good with the wink-wink nudge-nudge fourth wall breaking, but there were definitely some moments where it felt much more like the writers talking than the characters talking.

I did think overall it was pretty fun, though. I enjoyed Frank and Charlie's story quite a bit, but I do agree with PittTheElder about Dee and Dennis that they seemed more like props than their usual characters, but I imagine half of that is probably due to this being Glenn's first time directing an episode and he probably didn't want to cram his character in there too much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My favourite part was the reaction when Dee put her hand on Mac. The seething and instant rage the whole gang has towards Dee is never not great. Even in situations where it feels like they're all in a great mood and having fun, the moment Dee over-steps her place in the pecking order they turn on her so fast and so brutally.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I appreciated Mac and Dennis thinking the couple brought in a bird before realizing it was just Dee.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Charlie and Frank plot was pretty good, it felt like something from old Sunny. The Mac and Dennis one, on the other hand, was really schematic and half-assed. You could reliably predict the whole thing beat by beat - which wouldn't be bad per se, if it did something with the characters, but it didn't. Also Dee's face looks really weird.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Compared to last season, thought this was a really strong opener. Pretty optimistic about the rest of the episodes. It definitely had the classic Sunny "feel" which was only present in a few episodes from last year imo.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

My favourite part was the reaction when Dee put her hand on Mac. The seething and instant rage the whole gang has towards Dee is never not great. Even in situations where it feels like they're all in a great mood and having fun, the moment Dee over-steps her place in the pecking order they turn on her so fast and so brutally.

the fact that Dee and Mac are married in real life makes all of their horrible interactions so, so much funnier to me

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I appreciated Mac and Dennis thinking the couple brought in a bird before realizing it was just Dee.

The noises coming from behind the door were 100% the same noises as when Mac was remembering Dee as just an ostrich in the halloween episode.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Baronjutter posted:

Dee over-steps her place in the pecking order they turn on her so fast and so brutally.

Nicely done

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Really looking forward to the rest of the season. Maybe this first episode was a bit weak but I've come to really like a bunch of last season's episodes I thought were't very good on later re-watches.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Did Dee have some poo poo botox between seasons or what? She looks weird.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They all look old. Charlie least of all

e: that's not a comment against her, in particular. But I was shocked at the difference the years have made. When they were standing side by side in Mac's room, I god really depressed at how old I probably look too

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 26, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

fist4jesus posted:

Did Dee have some poo poo botox between seasons or what? She looks weird.

Her and Glenn both look "off" in a cosmetic surgery sort of way but it's also been loving 14 years, people age.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Her and Glenn both look "off" in a cosmetic surgery sort of way

You start out by agreeing. And yes Glenn too.

But then.

Baronjutter posted:

it's also been loving 14 years, people age.
Why are you implying a ignorance of aging or some poo poo from my post?
Whatever she had done looks weird.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think I was saying this last season but I think they're intending for everyone to older and weathered now

either that or new high def cameras

but also yeah Dee's lips are huge in this ep

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sometimes I wish Dee and Dennis were rich assholes again for a season like they were early on, and could band together to lord it over the rest. Then they could really go in on a plastic surgery angle!

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I really hoped they would fast forward a year at the end, the germans waiting sadly at the bus station, like frys dog.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I'm a lil bummed that they used the Dunder Mifflin location for a bus stop.

I was hoping there would be some crazy office themed episode. :(

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The best part of the episode was the Before Sunrise reference at the end. Episode was weak as gently caress

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Weaponized Cum posted:

The best part of the episode was the Before Sunrise reference at the end. Episode was weak as gently caress

I would have preferred the whole thing to be about the Germans. Wasted potential there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fist4jesus posted:

I would have preferred the whole thing to be about the Germans. Wasted potential there.

*Australians

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

laughed pretty hard at Dennis flailing through songs on the boombox before saying "I...don't have a...dead kid...one"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought it was a pretty solid episode

I can understand if people don't like the meta commentaries tho

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Baronjutter posted:

Her and Glenn both look "off" in a cosmetic surgery sort of way but it's also been loving 14 years, people age.

14 amazing years

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/jrwyxbs.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/tCQ86Lq.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/PnkY1tU.gifv

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

moist turtleneck posted:

I thought it was a pretty solid episode

I can understand if people don't like the meta commentaries tho

They've done a bunch of others like that (Old Lady House & The Gang Hits the Slopes come to mind), I like em.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Only Mac seems to have a hatred for Dee. Everyone else just seems to have a general disdain for her. But Mac is the only one that snaps and tries to strangle her.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I thought they were setting up a renter catfish meta-joke by using a photo with famous European erotica model Emily Bloom as one of the girls. Then it turn out she's just straight-up an actress now with a pretty lenghty IMDB page. Good for her.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

What specifically was this referencing? I didn't get it but still laughed at Frank catching on late.

Good episode overall

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I absolutely loved that episode, the casual reveal that the girls were junkies and completely zonked out was great.

CODChimera posted:

What specifically was this referencing? I didn't get it but still laughed at Frank catching on late.

Good episode overall

Mac wanted a "Meet Cute" and Charlie and Frank assumed he said "meat cube" and got excited because that sounded good to them. Things got dark later when Dennis referred to the woman as "Cute Meat"

"Oh don't call it a trap, that's not romantic at all!"

Edit: Completely misunderstood what you were asking, sorry.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 27, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely loved that episode, the casual reveal that the girls were junkies and completely zonked out was great.\

At first I thought they were actually dead from an overdose, and I'm glad the show didn't go that direction.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CODChimera posted:

Good episode overall

Charlie made a Pretty Woman reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNYalWdtPSA

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

At first I thought they were actually dead from an overdose, and I'm glad the show didn't go that direction.

I wouldn't put it past Always Sunny to do that, but yeah that's a bit much.

The real horror show would have been if those women had gone to Mac and Dennis' air BNB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I got the feeling they didn't actually tell Devito in advance about the Pretty Woman gag, 'cause his reaction seems pretty genuine, kinda like Mike Myers in Wayne's World when Garth asks about Bugs Bunny in a dress

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 27, 2019