Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

What the hell is this, man.

Take the monorail to Hamamatsucho and then the Yamanote to Sugamo.

Use hyperdia.

It’s the Keikyu, it’s one that goes from Haneda through Kamata and Shinagawa to Mita. The only actual change is at Mita, the others are all through trains.

That vs monorail and Yamanote is kinda six of one / half dozen of the other. It just looks weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Buskers aren't common in Japan (at least not as common as say, in south Europe) but when you find one they're usually good and selling their CD on the side.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Monorail is kawaii but a little slow. Do whatever has less connections, mate.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

peanut posted:

Monorail is kawaii but a little slow. Do whatever has less connections, mate.

Keikyu it is.

Thanks!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

harperdc posted:

It’s the Keikyu, it’s one that goes from Haneda through Kamata and Shinagawa to Mita. The only actual change is at Mita, the others are all through trains.

That vs monorail and Yamanote is kinda six of one / half dozen of the other. It just looks weirder.

Ah my mistake. I just saw the mess of a schedule and didn't look closer.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Kichijoji a few stops west of Shinjuku on the Chuo Line is definitely the biggest haven for buskers that I'm aware of. They practically seem to welcome them, whereas I'll see them get ticketed by cops in Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Akihabara.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

Keikyu it is.

Thanks!

The monorail is nice though, you get a great view of the bay and Tokyo tower and all that. Especially at night.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Stringent posted:

The monorail is nice though, you get a great view of the bay and Tokyo tower and all that. Especially at night.

Maaaaannnn, I'm trying to be less high strung and you're throwing words like "nice" and "great" around and making me want to change my mind.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Similarly, while in the Bay Area I played a bit of go. How much do people play go anymore? Is it mostly old people, or is it like chess in the States, where most people have some limited knowledge and a chess board?

I have pretty limited experience with go in Japan but to my knowledge it is not like chess in the States. Go is less popular than shogi but it's not like it's played exclusively by old people. When I was in Tokyo I went to a westerner friendly go salon and there were a handful of people there in the middle of the day, I think only 2 of them were retirees (I did play a very sweet old lady who started learning go in her retirement and felt pretty terrible when I started killing her groups).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

Maaaaannnn, I'm trying to be less high strung and you're throwing words like "nice" and "great" around and making me want to change my mind.

Especially your first night in, get to ride in and see the bay skyline, poo poo's tight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Especially your first night in, get to ride in and see the bay skyline, poo poo's tight.

especially getting in late after flying from the East Coast, that last stretch into Hamamatsucho is gonna look Blade Runner as gently caress.

and then you spot a bullet train going by and yeah totally you should do that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nanigans posted:

You can do both, right? Once to the city, once back. Japan will still be there. You can go back any time.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Alright, gonna do this, then.

“Blade Runner as gently caress” are powerful words.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I made that exact journey in reverse last week, very easy. May as well start your love affair with the Yamanote Line early.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is probably my 4th or 5th time through Japan, all but one of which have been visits like this one - purposeful 17 hour layovers on a JAL flight - so I'm not like a level 23 Japan expert.

Still, one thing that's very different from the US or Thailand or Cambodia or even maybe Hong Kong or most places I travel is that I have never, ever seen a confrontation that I can think of. I haven't even seen like the auntie-in-training girlfriend publicly berating her cuck boyfriend who is wearing the matching shirt and hat and drinking a matching bubble tea, which I'm pretty sure I've seen in HK, SG and maybe even Taipei (though Taipei seems pretty drat chill).

I've only ever had one longer visit of about a couple of weeks, and that was in the tourist countryside, with Osaka and Nagoya thrown in, but I figure I would have run across more than just a drunk stumbling uncle at the JR station at 23:45, heh.

WHERE ARE THEY HIDING THE SHOUTY PEOPLE OKAY??

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 26, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got shouted at a bunch once by some asswipe. Was pretty startling.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I saw a random old dude yelling at a mom with a gaggle of kids a month or so back (they were blocking his *precise* side of the road on a side-street), it was kinda wild because I hadn't seen something so heated in a while.

I've also seen plenty of lovely behavior, especially at night. It's one part knowing what to look for, and one part seeing more details instead of being over-awed by how impressive it all is.

My favorite was a couple years back, when I saw a group of college kids out on a Saturday night have to double-arm push a girl in the back to get her drunk rear end onto a train.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I got yelled at by a guy in Osaka on my way to Dotonbori. He was either drunk or I guess a tout/advertiser that I just instinctually ignored as a New Yorker.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Man I wish people would yell at me so I could yell terrible things back at them in Japanese.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I've spent a good amount of time in Japan and creepy as gently caress japanese guys doing the whole weirdo aggressive street pickups are a thing. Lotsa creeps. Had a weird japanese guy follow our group around because he thought we dishonored him at a bar when he was getting too close and knocking people around.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

I saw a random old dude yelling at a mom with a gaggle of kids a month or so back (they were blocking his *precise* side of the road on a side-street), it was kinda wild because I hadn't seen something so heated in a while.

I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often in Tokyo, what with the (mostly) too-narrow/nonexistant sidewalks and the lack of situational awareness a lot of people display. And the fact that there's just too drat many people.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I stood still on the wrong side of an escalator and someone gave me a dirty look.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Martytoof posted:

I stood still on the wrong side of an escalator and someone gave me a dirty look.

Supposedly they're going to try to eliminate walking on the escalators, although I haven't heard anything else about it. Maybe they just quietly gave up.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Holy gently caress this pisses me off so much when people do this.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Supposedly they're going to try to eliminate walking on the escalators, although I haven't heard anything else about it. Maybe they just quietly gave up.

I think they’re still trying, especially during rush hours, to get people to stand on both sides instead of leaving the walking lane. I guess it’s wait and see if that continues.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Holy gently caress this pisses me off so much when people do this.

Doing this to piss people off is extremely fun, I recommend anyone visiting have a couple drinks and give it a go.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Every trip I’m like “this is the trip where I will understand how Shinjuku station works!”

Why do I keep lying to myself?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Speaking of,

https://twitter.com/japantimes/status/1177538635958296576

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

quote:

According to Masaki Hashii, 68, of the Japan Federation of the Blind, visually impaired escalator users accompanied by a guide dog or helper sometimes have people push past them or click their tongues in disapproval for having their way blocked.

This is why I strongly advocate y'all visitors to give it a go at blocking the right side of the escalators while you're here. It's too stressful to do on the reg, but you will get to meet the kind of people who click their tongues at a blind person, which is a bit of a novelty for a tourist in Japan.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Every trip I’m like “this is the trip where I will understand how Shinjuku station works!”

Why do I keep lying to myself?

I kind of got the hang of Shinjuku by the end of my second stay.

And then I woke up and realized it was just a dream from when I passed out looking for a specific exit.

But also I spent two hours looking for a store that was in Tokyo station until I realized it was literally IN Tokyo station, as in you needed to pay the platform fare to get in.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

This is why I strongly advocate y'all visitors to give it a go at blocking the right side of the escalators while you're here. It's too stressful to do on the reg, but you will get to meet the kind of people who click their tongues at a blind person, which is a bit of a novelty for a tourist in Japan.

Saving this very stringent comment for posterity

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just out of curiosity is there some non-emotional reason to be against the stand to the right/left, walk to the right/left thing? It's the norm in all manner of places and it seems pretty generally logical to allow for both. My only complaint with the Japanese implementation is the Osaka/Tokyo switcheroo nonsense, but that's pretty minor.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I guess the capacity is lower if the walking lane isn't filled all the time? Also walking on escalators is somewhat dangerous.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm always worried about uneven stress on the belts and motors, because I empathize with robots.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ReindeerF posted:

Just out of curiosity is there some non-emotional reason to be against the stand to the right/left, walk to the right/left thing? It's the norm in all manner of places and it seems pretty generally logical to allow for both. My only complaint with the Japanese implementation is the Osaka/Tokyo switcheroo nonsense, but that's pretty minor.

Depends on what you mean by non-emotional reason I guess?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReindeerF posted:

On escalators it can be dangerous, especially for older people, which is most of the country now. On stairs, go nuts.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Before I call my bank

I have a charge on my card (the one I tried to use to buy DisneySea tickets) for $2066.64 USD from "PEIJIENTO."

I know enough Japanese to know that's some romanized Japanese word, but uhh....3 adult 1-day tickets wouldn't be over two thousand dollars.

Googling "PEIJIENTO" isn't helping.

My guess is the $2000+ is because the card is thinking in terms of dollars instead of Yen, but...

Should I just call my bank?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

My guess is the $2000+ is because the card is thinking in terms of dollars instead of Yen, but...

I think that's probably it, iirc 3 adults at Disney Sea should come to about 2,000 yen.

edit: I'm kidding btw

Stringent fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 27, 2019

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

There is some evidence to suggest that making everyone would increase the throughput of an escalator. Basically queues would be reduced and the average time taken for a person to reach the top would decrease.
https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/03/t...well-sometimes/

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Before I call my bank

I have a charge on my card (the one I tried to use to buy DisneySea tickets) for $2066.64 USD from "PEIJIENTO."

I know enough Japanese to know that's some romanized Japanese word, but uhh....3 adult 1-day tickets wouldn't be over two thousand dollars.

Googling "PEIJIENTO" isn't helping.

Should I just call my bank?

https://www.paygent.co.jp/sp/

It’s a Japanese payments company but you should know how much you’re paying in approx USD val. If it’s way off then up to you.