Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It would be amazing if Fox turned on him eventually.

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1177340474262216706

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Donald Trump admitted to sending his personal lawyer, outside the scope of the the state department, to extort Ukraine for partisan political purposes. He then withheld a whistleblower report to cover up this activity.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zotix posted:

This is on fox news?

probably.

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1177340474262216706

it may happen. i can see a bunch of boardmembers like ryan stabbing trump in the back.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Rabble posted:

Donald Trump admitted to sending his personal lawyer, outside the scope of the the state department, to extort Ukraine for partisan political purposes. He then withheld a whistleblower report to cover up this activity.

Mr Mayor aren’t you supposed to go on Hannity soon?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they means random chuds/conservatives.

I'll let the witness speak, but thank you. :)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ImpAtom posted:

So what exactly is your strategy?

Don't give them a loving inch. Emphasize that there's literally nothing to the accusations against Biden, and if anything that makes Trump's actions all the more blatant—he was attempting to strongarm an allied country into investigating an oppositional figure over crimes that do not exist.

Also emphasize the fact that they were investigating Biden because he's the frontrunner. If Bernie was in the lead you can bet your rear end that they would be digging up anything they can to use against him, or just flat out making poo poo up, because it does not matter whether he did or didn't do anything wrong—just that he's opposing Trump.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

quote:

Joe Biden 2020 presidential campaign - Announced April 25, 2019
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-pressured-ukrainian-president-giuliani-april-phone-call_n_5d8c0fcbe4b0e9e76046f4fd

quote:

Within hours of Zelensky winning Ukraine’s election on April 21, Trump called him to coordinate with Giuliani and investigate what he said was “corruption,” people familiar with the call told the Times.

I mean...

quote:

The report was submitted to Attorney General William Barr on March 22, 2019, and a redacted version of the 448-page report was publicly released by the Department of Justice (DOJ) on April 18, 2019. It is divided into two volumes.

All I'm trying to imply is I think Trump has been obsessed with trying to destroy his perceived Dem opponent the moment he thought he could get away with it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

A big flaming stink posted:

it doesn't matter.

creating the appearance of impropriety erodes public trust in institutions of government, and thus measures need to be taken to avoid any such appearances. generally "trust us, we're legit" is the least persuasive argument to be had in these matters.

I agree, we need to remove Donald Trump from office immediately for the flagrant impropriety that eroded public trust in institutions of government related to pressuring Ukraine for partisan political purposes.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

I will say this about Biden's supposed role:

He absolutely did something wrong by having huge influence in the US's foreign policy towards Ukraine while his son was an investor there. Not because of anything he did, but because his role created a huge appearance of impropriety. like i know it seems hella quaint in hellworld timeline but it's pretty unethical to allow such a potential for corruption without making any attempts to recuse himself when he might have been able to influence things to his son's advantage.

Same. This is Dem chat fodder, the other candidates should bury him over this if we give any shits about rooting out inequality and corruption.

We can bury Trump, Biden, and get gay space communism.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pkay posted:

Because you are willingly allowing them to distract the electorate. Keeping the focus on their very real and serious crimes should be of the upmost importance. Like the poo poo they are doing is 'muddying the water' 101. Stop letting them do that.

Some of the very real and serious crimes were instigated in a dumbass attempt to attack Biden. You seriously can't adequately talk about this Ukraine shakedown without also talking about Biden, because Biden is integral to Donny shaking down Ukraine.

Donny extorted a foreign country to manufacture the appearance of digging up dirt on some guy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Was there more or less excitement on the forums here when Mueller began his investigations - compared to now?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BlueBlazer posted:

Same. This is Dem chat fodder, the other candidates should bury him over this if we give any shits about rooting out inequality and corruption.

We can bury Trump, Biden, and get gay space communism.

agreed. i think Biden is doing a good enough burying himself.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

A president should never have to go through this again.. never. Because what we will have is a King. And it will be a king Trump. And it will be great. Except for when it has to be a queen trump. Every once in a while we will have to have a queen, but then there will be a king Trump again. China! And there are twenty six thousand Mexican soldiers on the border drug prices.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rabble posted:

I agree, we need to remove Donald Trump from office immediately for the flagrant impropriety that eroded public trust in institutions of government related to pressuring Ukraine for partisan political purposes.

...obviously yes?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I mean, he could've just stopped at "he's going on Tucker Carlson tonight"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

everyone counting biden out already is making a mistake. please keep talking about how corrupt and bad he is!! imo

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Hillary, Obama, Biden, and Andrew Jackson were all lovely Democrats in their own way.

Which shall we scramble to impeach first? Who among them is most in charge of this country right now?

Dig away, write sagas about their shittiness.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
So The Mattering may actually be upon us. My question: what fucks this up? Because this rear end in a top hat should have been impeached a dozen scandals ago at least. What will make this one stick?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Charlz Guybon posted:

I don't see them turning on him, more like shamefully shuffling out of the spotlight and pretending they don't know him.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VH4Ever posted:

So The Mattering may actually be upon us. My question: what fucks this up? Because this rear end in a top hat should have been impeached a dozen scandals ago at least. What will make this one stick?

The democrats are actually doing something important and material this time.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Was there more or less excitement on the forums here when Mueller began his investigations - compared to now?

Less I think. It was all diffused over a longer time span.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Still want the pence transcript and irs whistleblower report

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Grape posted:

I don't see them turning on him, more like shamefully shuffling out of the spotlight and pretending they don't know him.

In the end, it was trump who was the president who just got us coffee all along.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. at my job we don't even talk politics, its too busy and everyone likes each other enough to not just talk about it.

Not picking on you specifically or saying that you should blow up your workplace with politics chat or whatever, but I really do think this is part of our problem.

We allow lots of places to become safe spaces from politics talk, which ends up reinforcing the nonsense idea that a person's politics can somehow be separated from the rest of their personality. It leads to lots of reprehensible views never being strongly challenged because people always have somewhere to retreat to.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

VH4Ever posted:

It was collusion again against a potential political rival that is far more readily accessible and intelligible than the Russia stuff turned out to be. As for what fucks it up or makes it stick, well... Your guess is as good as mine at this point! It is both a blessing and a curse to live in interesting times.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

A president should never have to go through this again.. never. Because what we will have is a King. And it will be a king Trump. And it will be great. Except for when it has to be a queen trump. Every once in a while we will have to have a queen, but then there will be a king Trump again. China! And there are twenty six thousand Mexican soldiers on the border drug prices.

Representation without taxes!

https://i.imgur.com/Wi8fi7s.mp4

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

Major distraction. War, someone blows up Saudi Arabian oil fields for realz, major hurricane hits DC and trashes the place, terrorist attack... pretty much acts of God level poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zas posted:

everyone counting biden out already is making a mistake. please keep talking about how corrupt and bad he is!! imo

Please don't. The amount of whataboutism and "but her emails" replays will give us all PTSD.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
Has there been discussion about the process? I am not super well-read on the impeachment process, but it does need to go through the Senate, no? Like Nixon was smart enough to resign, but Clinton gambled and won on his impeachment stalling in the Senate? If I'm wildly incorrect I apologize.

This is all uncharted since Trump has winnowed out all but his most slavish bootlickers and is clearly working unfettered. Great that he makes a colossal blunder that for once is not invisible, but not great that he's now almost completely unpredictable.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I honestly think it's sticking because literally everyone knows what a mob shakedown sounds like. It's not some difficult to understand need to read multiple pages report about obstruction of justice something something maybe Russia did help Trump but it's not like you can prove that Trump colluded...

Here we have:
1. Trump himself
2. Talking to another world leader directly
3. Telling him to investigate a political rival
4. Or else

It's cut and loving dry and the fact that the foreign aid was withheld and then extra was added is just... okay there's the material payment proving this wasn't just a "Haha funny joke Mr President!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

this. the dems have the willpower and there is enough chud blood in the water to find everything.

Paradoxish posted:

Not picking on you specifically or saying that you should blow up your workplace with politics chat or whatever, but I really do think this is part of our problem.

We allow lots of places to become safe spaces from politics talk, which ends up reinforcing the nonsense idea that a person's politics can somehow be separated from the rest of their personality. It leads to lots of reprehensible views never being strongly challenged because people always have somewhere to retreat to.

i am sure we could. its just i work retail front end and its busy. i get your point and i am sure i could change peoples minds but i am not gonna start until the general.

Dammerung posted:

It was collusion again against a potential political rival that is far more readily accessible and intelligible than the Russia stuff turned out to be. As for what fucks it up or makes it stick, well... Your guess is as good as mine at this point! It is both a blessing and a curse to live in interesting times.

its even worse than russia in some ways because he is trying to strong arm an decently close and under siege ally into giving him make believe stuff or else he lets them die.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Arist posted:

Nobody's pretending to care about quote-unquote national security, what the gently caress are you even talking about

I mean, I'm concerned for the ""national security"" implications inasmuch as I'm seriously worried that Trump's now-confirmed-by-the-man-himself mafia extortion tactics might end up triggering another major conflict in Europe which would get people I care about both within and outside of the US killed, because Trump is provably dumb enough to say the wrong things and get the wrong people antsy and trigger-happy.

(The intelligence community is guilty of a billion other Crimes, tho, and should be called to account for them)

VH4Ever posted:

The previous ones didn't stick because witnesses weren't willing to cooperate or it was all too obtuse for many voters to understand why it wasn't just a political power grab rather than an attempt at holding a criminal to answer. Here, it's extremely unambiguous - Trump more or less confessed to practicing extortion tactics while claiming it isn't somehow extortion, and now appears to have tried to previously cover it up and now we know exactly where the full transcript of his capital-C Crimes is stored. There would have been worries about genuinely ripping the country apart violently with previous impeachments, but at this point anyone who tries to support Trump with extremism is just literally going to be fighting for a mob boss and white nationalism, which only the hardest-core WNs will back to start with.

It really is basically the "gottem" moment we've all been hoping for for years.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If Pence is heavily involved, then impeaching Trump and removing him from office means Pence gets removed too. So you get President Pelosi which would make all diehard Republicans’ heads melt.

Trump might have also involved Pence for this reason.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

Yep, and the current Administration and it's party seem totally incapable of offering cogent rebuttal. Like, at all.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lote posted:

If Pence is heavily involved, then impeaching Trump and removing him from office means Pence gets removed too. So you get President Pelosi which would make all diehard Republicans’ heads melt.

Trump might have also involved Pence for this reason.
Didn't he straight up threw Pence under the bus today? Or yesterday? I can't really keep up, tbh.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

mistaya posted:

I honestly think it's sticking because literally everyone knows what a mob shakedown sounds like. It's not some difficult to understand need to read multiple pages report about obstruction of justice something something maybe Russia did help Trump but it's not like you can prove that Trump colluded...

Here we have:
1. Trump himself
2. Talking to another world leader directly
3. Telling him to investigate a political rival
4. Or else

It's cut and loving dry and the fact that the foreign aid was withheld and then extra was added is just... okay there's the material payment proving this wasn't just a "Haha funny joke Mr President!"

My fear though is and has always been the political calculus. Trump was right, he could shoot someone and his base will stick by him. This is what they voted for, they want a mob boss. Does that handcuff any potential congressional remedy? Maybe. The Senate remains a problem.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

VH4Ever posted:

I think the big thing about this scandal that separates it from other Trump wrongdoings is that it:

1) Is simple and easy to understand. Trump called a foreign leader and tried to get them to investigate a political opponent, clearly abusing the power of the office and of the United States for personal electoral gain.

2) It's well documented, with substantial evidence being released by Trump's own White House that further emphasizes and clarifies Trump's wrongdoing.

3) It's developing quickly, too fast for the right wing media or Trump's administration to successfully muddy the waters or defend Trump's actions effectively.

4) There is no hope for the Democratic leadership that someone else will save them with an indictment, and they are in power—the only remedy is impeachment, which they have the power to do.

5) People are tired and frustrated with waiting. If the Democratic establishment were to refuse to move forward in favor of waiting until the election, a good-sized portion of the caucus would outright revolt.

I think the way to think about this scandal isn't to look at it in a vacuum compared to Trump's other scandals, but rather the straw that broke the camel's back atop his mountain of wrongdoing. It's a scandal that is simple, clear, and indefensible by any rational argument—and it's come at a time when the Democrats both have the power to respond, and are being actively pressured to respond (Due in part to all of Trump's other scandals that he's gotten away with). So while it's far from the worst thing Trump has done, it's come at the right time and under the right circumstances for the dam on impeachment/Mattering to finally begin breaking.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VH4Ever posted:

IMO The most pressing threat is Trump and co baiting the media into giving the appearance that he had a legitimate reason for wanting Biden investigated by the Ukrainians and letting Fox spin up a "ends justify the means" narrative that gives the GOP cover to back Trump and makes Independents think it is all just politics instead of the worst abuse of presidential power in living memory.

This would be much easier for them to do if Rudy would STFU and if Trump has Crimed even slightly competently.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Wark Say posted:

Didn't he straight up threw Pence under the bus today? Or yesterday? I can't really keep up, tbh.

He did. It's all he knows how to do. He'll throw Pence under a bus in nanoseconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Hold on, we have Trump asking for a favor, and we know Trump shut down funds, but there isn't an explicit causal link between the two yet, right? I feel like that's the lifeline that the Republicans will hold on to during all this.